I have 4 cruises in, what does it mean to me?

Katoo

See, I think there is a ripple down effect to this new loyalty program. I do indeed see the problem that has so many upset. People feel duped and lied to, after promises of "you will love it". To be honest, the perks that were in place are pretty pathetic anyway and the idea that these were lessened instead of enhanced while at the same time, making them harder to obtain makes it very clear that loyalty doesn't mean much to Carnival. Which is fine, if that's how they want to play it.

But here's the thing. With 4 cruises under my belt, I don't yet have a huge emotional loyal investment to Carnival like so many here do. In fact, with the new program, Carnival is pretty much telling me that I shouldn't. I still have the time and energy to investigate other lines and start over.

It just seems so shortsighted on Carnival's part.

So for all of you Platinum plus folk telling us we can't understand, that's not all of us cruise newbies. I, for one, am following this with grate interest and much thought.

I have 17 cruises with CCL, so I'm slap dab in the middle between Platinum and Milestone. Most of my cruises have been less than a week. So if they do a straight conversion into the new program I will be VERY far from getting to the next level.

Couple that with the fact that they are apparently reducing benefits to Platinum folks (limited wash and fold laundry, BOGO slot tourney), and getting to Diamond Plus with RCI will become the bigger enticement for me.

Of course this is all hypothetical since nothing has been officially announced, so we'll just have to wait and see how it all goes.

I do know that messing with perks is something that can easily backfire. RCI made a lot of long-time cruisers angry when they kicked Diamond guests out of the Concierge Lounges years back. They realized their error, and brought back a modified program that has (more or less) satisfied people. I hope CCL watched all that, and plans their program accordingly.

I am currently gold, and will be red under the new system. It's not a big deal as the perks are not very impressive anyway.

My next Carnival cruise is a week long one. I was looking forward to my first past guest party and farewell party. But according to the new rules I will get neither.

I have 17 cruises with CCL, so I'm slap dab in the middle between Platinum and Milestone. Most of my cruises have been less than a week. So if they do a straight conversion into the new program I will be VERY far from getting to the next level.

Couple that with the fact that they are apparently reducing benefits to Platinum folks (limited wash and fold laundry, BOGO slot tourney), and getting to Diamond Plus with RCI will become the bigger enticement for me.

Same here, except I am working on Diamond with Royal Caribbean.

I am half way between Carnival Platinum and Milestone but most of my Carnival cruises are short so I am not even sure I can make platinum if they do a straight conversion. If not likely I will be grandfathered in. The only benefit I semi-care about is free laundry. I don't mind it's only 3 bags for longer cruises, but sounds like it may not even be there for shorter cruises. That sucks.

I cruise because I like to cruise. If you are loyal just for the perks than you're obviously not very loyal to begin with. I couldn't care less about the perks, as long as I have fun on my vacation.

I cruise because I like to cruise. If you are loyal just for the perks than you're obviously not very loyal to begin with. I couldn't care less about the perks, as long as I have fun on my vacation.

Very well said. I cruise to enjoy my vacation, not to see what "perks" I can get. I am choosing to go on the ship as the service has been wonderful every cruise we have taken. Until it is not we will continue enjoying Carnival cruises.

I am currently gold, and will be red under the new system. It's not a big deal as the perks are not very impressive anyway.

My next Carnival cruise is a week long one. I was looking forward to my first past guest party and farewell party. But according to the new rules I will get neither.

Me too. I have 21 days, so I don't quite make gold. John Heald kept saying "everyone will be grandfathered into their current level", but now it sounds like "Platinum will be grandfathered into their current level".

I personally don't care. We'll miss the past guest party (I don't drink alcohol, but loved the little snacks), but oh well. Wonder if they will bring me fruit punch as my free drink at brunch? I loved that stuff.

Overall, the loyalty program doesn't inspire loyalty to me. It is pretty much all useless. I don't like the BOGO, that isn't a perk- it's a moneymaker! I'd prefer to have arcade tokens, but I'm not a child, so gambling is apparently my only option. And the free dinner in the steakhouse- one time? Why bother "working" towards Diamond?

I don't cruise for loyalty perks, but those perks are suppose to draw you to stay with the line. I'm way more apt to look into other lines, rather than always going with Carnival if I don't get anything from them.

Very well said. I cruise to enjoy my vacation, not to see what "perks" I can get. I am choosing to go on the ship as the service has been wonderful every cruise we have taken. Until it is not we will continue enjoying Carnival cruises.

Agreed.

My wife and I both enjoy cruising with Carnival. we don't cruise to gather perks, we cruise to be on vacation. IF there are any perks along the way, great! If not, then if I didn't know about them I won't miss them.

Life's too short to be worried what the other guy is getting that you're not. Enjoy what you do have, don't miss what you don't.

I've thoroughly enjoyed all my cruises, too, but for the last two, had only looked at Carnival. Next time I book, I'll look at all lines. Carnival still may win out to get my booking based on itinerary and price, but I no longer feel like I should just look at Carnival.

I also don't cruise for perks, but I think it's the lack of appreciation and respect that has kind of put me off. Also the buildup of 3 years of redoing the program along with the hints of "you will love it" has me put off.

I think everyone on here cruises because they like to cruise. The point I believe many are trying to make is that this new loyalty program won't keep them from cruising, but will instead encourage many of us to book on other lines because making the next level in the loyalty program no longer provides enough of a benefit to keep customers loyal when looking at two similarly priced cruises on different lines.

I don't think anyone cruises solely for the loyalty perks, but when you're trying to make a decision between 2 similarly priced cruises, one on Carnival and the other on a different line, and you know you'll get extra perks from Carnival from the loyalty program then that provides an additional incentive to book the Carnival cruise. Carnival scaling back on so many of the loyalty perks and making them more difficult to obtain to begin only serves to diminish the incentive many of us who were caught 1/2 way to Platinum or 1/2 way to Milestone had to continue to book Carnival cruises over other lines.

Case in point, in 24 days (not that I'm counting), sissy and I are leaving on our 5th Carnival cruise. Before the details of the VIFP program were leaked, we had planned on buying a FCC on the cruise to book another cruise either on the Conquest or Magic for March 2013. With the new loyalty program what it is; however, we're now seriously looking at taking the Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston instead as the on board dive shop would make taking my 2 open water check out dives a lot easier than trying to arrange something through an independent operation in one of the ports.

I think Carnival's going to see the new program backfiring like this a lot, and, I also think Carnival knows this and believes that they'll get enough in revenue from new cruisers and those that do stay loyal that the revenue they'll lose from the repeat customers they are alienating with the new program won't adversely affect their bottom line.

See, I think there is a ripple down effect to this new loyalty program. I do indeed see the problem that has so many upset. People feel duped and lied to, after promises of "you will love it". To be honest, the perks that were in place are pretty pathetic anyway and the idea that these were lessened instead of enhanced while at the same time, making them harder to obtain makes it very clear that loyalty doesn't mean much to Carnival. Which is fine, if that's how they want to play it.

You pretty much said what I was thinking. No, I don't cruise for the perks. But first they take the few little things they did give. Then they act like they did such a great thing. Whatever. Call it like it is. Cost cutting to keep prices low. That I can appreciate. Just be honest and don't treat me like I am stupid.

I really don't understand why people want to spend $$$$$ booking cruises just to get to Platinum or Diamond before this takes affect. For free laundry and VIP at embarkation to get on the ship 10 to 15 min before somebody else.

I agree! We am going to go on our next cruise and have a blast and never thinks once about the "loyalty program". We are already thinking about our next two cruises (on CCL) with no thought about the program either:D:D Our only concern is to have fun!!!:cool::cool::cool:

I think everyone on here cruises because they like to cruise. The point I believe many are trying to make is that this new loyalty program won't keep them from cruising, but will instead encourage many of us to book on other lines because making the next level in the loyalty program no longer provides enough of a benefit to keep customers loyal when looking at two similarly priced cruises on different lines.

I don't think anyone cruises solely for the loyalty perks, but when you're trying to make a decision between 2 similarly priced cruises, one on Carnival and the other on a different line, and you know you'll get extra perks from Carnival from the loyalty program then that provides an additional incentive to book the Carnival cruise. Carnival scaling back on so many of the loyalty perks and making them more difficult to obtain to begin only serves to diminish the incentive many of us who were caught 1/2 way to Platinum or 1/2 way to Milestone had to continue to book Carnival cruises over other lines.

Case in point, in 24 days (not that I'm counting), sissy and I are leaving on our 5th Carnival cruise. Before the details of the VIFP program were leaked, we had planned on buying a FCC on the cruise to book another cruise either on the Conquest or Magic for March 2013. With the new loyalty program what it is; however, we're now seriously looking at taking the Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston instead as the on board dive shop would make taking my 2 open water check out dives a lot easier than trying to arrange something through an independent operation in one of the ports.

I think Carnival's going to see the new program backfiring like this a lot, and, I also think Carnival knows this and believes that they'll get enough in revenue from new cruisers and those that do stay loyal that the revenue they'll lose from the repeat customers they are alienating with the new program won't adversely affect their bottom line.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. We all cruise because we like to cruise.

EXACTLY . . . couldn't agree more. With the exception of, maybe, VIP boarding the whole loyalty thing is severely overrated and much ado about nothing, IMHO.:)

But here's the thing. With 4 cruises under my belt, I don't yet have a huge emotional loyal investment to Carnival like so many here do. In fact, with the new program, Carnival is pretty much telling me that I shouldn't. I still have the time and energy to investigate other lines and start over.

It just seems so shortsighted on Carnival's part.

So for all of you Platinum plus folk telling us we can't understand, that's not all of us cruise newbies. I, for one, am following this with grate interest and much thought.

if you've only sailed carnival the past 4 cruises, most likely you cruise base on price. go ahead and go elsewhere, carnival doesn't care because the reason you cruise carnival is still the same and unchanged, it's the cheapest.

LOL at all the people saying they will go elsewhere now:rolleyes: You chose based on price/value, not loyalty program because frankly, carnival never had a good/best one to begin with.

Carnival's new Loyalty Program really will change my mind on using Carnival. 21+ cruises, 15 with Carnival, and 1 coming in August. I think Carnival's idea of loyalty is skewed. I understand all you Carnival lovers and haters, this may be something that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. If I lose status, however small, I can always find another line that want's my $$$$

Agreed.

My wife and I both enjoy cruising with Carnival. we don't cruise to gather perks, we cruise to be on vacation. IF there are any perks along the way, great! If not, then if I didn't know about them I won't miss them.

Life's too short to be worried what the other guy is getting that you're not. Enjoy what you do have, don't miss what you don't.

Initially I was bummed out about the loyalty program changes, but I'm so far from Platinum (13 days, 17 additional booked) it will take me forever to get there.

I agree 100% with what you are saying, its a vacation. I never got "perks" from any other vacation, but just the vacation itself. I'm thankful to be able to afford to go on vacation like this and visit the places we will go.

I'm not going to keep track of how many days because there are no guarantee's in life. I'm just going to take it one cruise at a time and enjoy! :)

I have argued before on other threads that Carnival WANTS a ship filled with BLUE'nGOLD CARDERS. They prefer those on their first several cruises as those are the ones that are most likely to:

Purchase photos

Purchase week-long video

Drink the expensive exotic drinks and run up and ungodly bar tab

Gamble more

Book ship excursions

Attend the Art Auction

Buy crap at their "duty-free" shops

Buy from their "recommended" stores that pay a commission to be recommended.

A ship filled with, dare I say:rolleyes:, somewhat more savvy cruisers like those that get savvier as they cruise represented in part by the PLATINUM cruisers and above, tend to get EVEN cheaper passage through past guest discounts, pack'n'go pricing, competing online websites. And then once onboard, they don't spend as much on the big revenue-producing venues on the ship.

A cruise director once told me that on any given Carnival cruise 47% of the passengers are first-time Carnival cruisers. This is who they market to. PLATINUM cruisers and above are probably overall "losers" to them. Harsh, I agree, but something the "beards" are probably thinking. At least I would be if it were my company. :D

(its not personal, its just business);)

Like!:D

I have argued before on other threads that Carnival WANTS a ship filled with BLUE'nGOLD CARDERS. They prefer those on their first several cruises as those are the ones that are most likely to:

Purchase photos

Purchase week-long video

Drink the expensive exotic drinks and run up and ungodly bar tab

Gamble more

Book ship excursions

Attend the Art Auction

Buy crap at their "duty-free" shops

Buy from their "recommended" stores that pay a commission to be recommended.

A ship filled with, dare I say:rolleyes:, somewhat more savvy cruisers like those that get savvier as they cruise represented in part by the PLATINUM cruisers and above, tend to get EVEN cheaper passage through past guest discounts, pack'n'go pricing, competing online websites. And then once onboard, they don't spend as much on the big revenue-producing venues on the ship.

A cruise director once told me that on any given Carnival cruise 47% of the passengers are first-time Carnival cruisers. This is who they market to. PLATINUM cruisers and above are probably overall "losers" to them. Harsh, I agree, but something the "beards" are probably thinking. At least I would be if it were my company. :D

(its not personal, its just business);)

Just going to focus in on the two red items.

One, I will always gamble on board. It won't be a lot, but it'll be anywhere between $20-50. I lost on the first cruise, but I'm currently in the black over Carnival by about $60. ;)

Two, I will always buy the ship excursions if we do any. My last cruise in Alaska, in Skagway specifically, my wife and I booked the White Pass railway through Carnival. The train got back late by almost 40 minutes. IF I had not booked through Carnival, the ship could have sailed off without us. (Granted, everyone on the train did not book though Carnival.) So with the offchance of anything happening, for me it's a safer way to book, regardless of the additional cost. I consider that "insurance".

EXACTLY . . . couldn't agree more. With the exception of, maybe, VIP boarding the whole loyalty thing is severely overrated and much ado about nothing, IMHO.:)

I have to agree. The only thing that interests me is the gold pin when you attain gold status, nothing else matters to us.

Archived