Are passports required for Mexico?

Dizzneefan

I've got a co-worker going on her first cruise later this summer and will be going to Mexico (Cozumel, Progeso). She does not have a passport and I told her I thought she would need one but others say no. We always have ours just in case and have not checked the current travel conditions to see if one is required.

Can anybody answer this for me?

Thanks

If it is a closed loop cruise (starting and ending at the same port) then all you need is a birth cer (original with a raised seal) and a photo ID. I personally like having the passport and find it easier but it is not required.

www.getyouhome.gov has the latest requirements. On a closed loop cruise a government issued birth certificate and government issued photo ID are sufficient to get on a cruise, but if the traveler has to fly home they would not be able to without a delay. They will have to decide for themselves how risky it is to travel without a passport and proceed accordingly.

If a woman is using a birthcertificate and she has married, she must bring a copy of marriage certificate to show change of name. If birthcerticate says "Mary Jones" and her ID is "Mary Smith" she must be able to prove that they are same person. I work for an airline and many times we do not let people fly if ID's don't match. That is why we are so happy that passports are now required to fly....no name problems.

If she is going on a closed loop cruise (leaving from and returning to the same port), all she needs is a photo ID and her certified birth certificate. As others have said, if she is married they MIGHT ask for her marriage certificate (that only happened to me once).

Tell her to have a great cruise!!!

The cruise documents must also match the official documents.

My DW goes by her second name normally , for cruising we have book under her given name. This so that her passport and cruise documents match.:eek:

At this moment, a passport is not required but recommended.

As previously stated, she needs at least a certified BC and DL as well as corresponding documents for name changes (marriage license).

If a woman is using a birthcertificate and she has married, she must bring a copy of marriage certificate to show change of name. If birthcerticate says "Mary Jones" and her ID is "Mary Smith" she must be able to prove that they are same person. I work for an airline and many times we do not let people fly if ID's don't match. That is why we are so happy that passports are now required to fly....no name problems.

I used BC for many years (and married) and never had marriage license with me or ask for one.

If it is a closed loop cruise (starting and ending at the same port) then all you need is a birth cer (original with a raised seal) and a photo ID. I personally like having the passport and find it easier but it is not required.

Incorrect it does NOT have to have a raised seal. It has to be a "certified" BC. Many states have done away with the raised seal and gone to water marks,holograms or other methods.

This is how things get messed up and rumors start LOL. You do NOT need a passport to fly. Do you need one to fly OUT OF THE COUNTRY? yes... to fly in general? no. :rolleyes:

you will need a passport if you miss the ship

Soooo, make sure you don't miss the ship. ;)

This is how things get messed up and rumors start LOL. You do NOT need a passport to fly. Do you need one to fly OUT OF THE COUNTRY? yes... to fly in general? no. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing.

Carnivals requirements for B/C stated by one of their online reps is B/C does not need raised seal and can be an official copy or Zerox copy of original.

You may not need a passport to enter your own country but an airline will not fly you from a foreign country without a passport!

Archived