If you leave anything behind on Celebrity...

jaxjww

I'm guessing that everything left in the cabin went into the trash.

So even if they could fine the clothing in the trash, should they send it to you dirty or clean it and forward it? Send you a bill.

Alot of things could have happened, better to just let it go as a lesson learned.

I am sure that everyone has forgotten something at one time or another and I know that I have but it is a lesson learned and I do not expect anyone to go out of there way to find it for me and I do not get on a message board saying I will never stay at that place again. Again, your fault.

I had a terrible experience- I left thousands of dollars of jewelery in my safe when leaving the Summit in Venice. I only realized what I had done while in line to board our plane in the Venice airport ( what a sinking feeling).

It took me endless phone calls and then finally a rant here on CC to get my valuables back. Strangely enough , just after posting a rant here , I got a phone call from Celebrity and got my jewelery back.

Link to the story:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=802508&highlight=jewelry+left+in+safe

Now I am obsessive about not leaving anything behind!!!

Kim

I travel fairly frequently for work. I've left things in Hotel rooms before.

I've just chalked it up to lessons learned and now, even when I'm in a hurry, I take 30 seconds to check the bathroom, all drawers, and closet to make sure I haven't left anything.

My Mom travels a lot too, and accidentally left her iPod Nano in a seat back pocket on a USAir plane when they had to change planes at the last minute. She reported it as soon as she realized it (while still at the same airport) and she has pretty high Elite status with them. They weren't able to find it, so she shrugged her shoulders and was disappointed, but didn't blame the airline. 6 months later, she got a call that they found it and were mailing it back to her. (No joke. She had forgotten about it by then!)

Point being: we all make mistakes, it's silly to blame the cruise line/hotel/air line for things we could have prevented by taking an extra 30 seconds to make sure we had what we came with.

Of course we should take precautions to make sure we have everything with us. As careful as we all try to be, mistakes happen. That doesn't mean that the items shouldn't be lost forever and that the person should be subjected to the you-should-have-know-better speeches I've seen on this thread. :rolleyes: Unless of course, it's you and your item that went missing. Then it's different, right?

It's not unreasonable to expect a hotel/airline/cruise line to have a process in place that actually works - in the event someone does leave something behind.

I don't see the OP blaming the cruise line for the lost items. I read the OP's post as blaming the cruise line promising to get back to him/her and they haven't - especially after stating that they take lost/found items seriously. If they promised him that they would get back to him, then they should have.

On our last cruise on the Infinity, we shipped off a bag of laundry. When it arrived back, i was missing two shirts but I had another gent's pair of shorts. We alerted our cabin steward and filed a report as per regulations. After nearly three weeks I called Celebrity and now they say they are investigating and will be getting back to me soon. How long would I have had to wait if I did not act first? If you lose something aboard, might as well kiss it goodbye and hope you have good travel insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
Kiss it goodbye. My wife left about $400 worth of clothing on the Infinity when we debarked on May 18. We realized this almost immediately and I called Celebrity while I could see the ship from our Seattle hotel room. I told them EXACTLY what was missing and EXACTLY where to find it in our 7002 stateroom. I was assured that they take this seriously, and I was told they'd call with status. It's now May 29, and I just completed my third phone exchange where I'm told they are "unable to locate the missing items." This is ludicrous, of course. All they need to do is ask cabin steward Nasuha where they are. This was our 17th cruise since 2006, 4th on Celebrity. We'll be more careful about cruise line selection for all our future cruises.

It's been awhile since I made the post above because we were on the Celebrity Silhouette for 12 days out of Venice and I chose not to look at email while vacationing. I want to report that after emailing a similar note to Celebrity I've reached a mutually agreeable conclusion with a Celebrity VP of corporate guest relations. They were very professional in their response and they deserve kudos for this. I have to chuckle at those of you who doubted my post because it was my first. My wife is the one who diligently follows CC, including subscribing to CC sail-aways and message boards. We travel a lot, and at no time did I EVER say that leaving items on board was anyone's fault but ours. My point was about the honesty of crew, a point agreed with by the Celebrity executive. We will sail with Celebrity again should there be doubt in anyone's mind!

It's been awhile since I made the post above because we were on the Celebrity Silhouette for 12 days out of Venice and I chose not to look at email while vacationing. I want to report that after emailing a similar note to Celebrity I've reached a mutually agreeable conclusion with a Celebrity VP of corporate guest relations. They were very professional in their response and they deserve kudos for this. I have to chuckle at those of you who doubted my post because it was my first. My wife is the one who diligently follows CC, including subscribing to CC sail-aways and message boards. We travel a lot, and at no time did I EVER say that leaving items on board was anyone's fault but ours. My point was about the honesty of crew, a point agreed with by the Celebrity executive. We will sail with Celebrity again should there be doubt in anyone's mind!

Glad that everything worked out to your satisfaction. Hope you enjoyed Silhouette.

We left a (cheap) camera on the Eclipse. Both of us thought it was the binoculars that they put in the concierge cabins rather than our camera in the shelves next to the mirror. The cases were similar. We didn't realize that Celebrity takes everything up the night before you disembark that could "walk" and it was our camera we were seeing.

We immediately called and told them exactly where we had left it. They told us nothing had been turned in but maybe would be later and to check with lost and found in Miami in a couple of weeks as it would be sent there.

I did and, after checking it out, he person told me the only thing found in the cabin was a portable CD player. It was mine! I thought I had left it in our hotel pre-cruise as I never used it during the cruise. I guess it had fallen out of my "travel" tote that I had in the closet.

Celebrity returned the CD player to me at their expense. The camera never showed up. Ironically, the CD player was more valuable than the camera other than the pictures in it--priceless!

Tucker in Texas

It's not unreasonable to expect a hotel/airline/cruise line to have a process in place that actually works - in the event someone does leave something behind.

Many years ago, I left a pair of prescription sunglasses on a ride at Disney World. I went to Lost and Found the next day and was asked, "What park and what day?" They then brought out a box of sunglasses with the park and date noted on it. My sunglasses were in it.

People are human and lose things. If Disney can have a system in place to return items that are lost by some of the 46,000 people who visit that park each day, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that X could also have an efficient system to deal with something that probably happens every day on every one of their ships.

Many years ago, I left a pair of prescription sunglasses on a ride at Disney World. I went to Lost and Found the next day and was asked, "What park and what day?" They then brought out a box of sunglasses with the park and date noted on it. My sunglasses were in it.

People are human and lose things. If Disney can have a system in place to return items that are lost by some of the 46,000 people who visit that park each day, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that X could also have an efficient system to deal with something that probably happens every day on every one of their ships.

Only problem with comparing the 2 is that the Disney parks don't get up and move by the end of the night. Also a lot of times, the different cruise lines share the terminals and when there aren't any ships there, the place is closed up.

It's unfortunate that people leave things behind and they seem to disappear. Maybe they all end up wherever it is that the mates to the missing socks go from the dryer.

Only problem with comparing the 2 is that the Disney parks don't get up and move by the end of the night. Also a lot of times, the different cruise lines share the terminals and when there aren't any ships there, the place is closed up.

Very true. Just because one thing is easy for one entity doesn't mean it is for another. Try suggesting to an 80 year old they should run for a mile because a certain 18 year old can do it and see how far that gets you! Different situations mean exactly that, and it's much easier to be able to return something when you're in one place than if you're constantly on the move - and in fact away from land for much of the time.

Last year Solstice: Disembarkation in Barcelona , Forgot my backpack in the cabin under the bed . We were already in the bus for the trip to Montserat and the airport. Ran back into the cruise terminal and ask a officer from Celebrity for help. He went straight in and after 15 minutes came back with my backpack. In the same time we were almost removed from the bus. Just in time I was back. Nerve breaking but happy ending experience

Very true. Just because one thing is easy for one entity doesn't mean it is for another. Try suggesting to an 80 year old they should run for a mile because a certain 18 year old can do it and see how far that gets you! Different situations mean exactly that, and it's much easier to be able to return something when you're in one place than if you're constantly on the move - and in fact away from land for much of the time.

The interior of the ship doesn't go anywhere. People leave things on board on every single cruise. I don't think it's that difficult to have a container on the ship for the items that are found at the end of each cruise. I agree that there would more likely be a delay in returning them because the ship is not in port, but that doesn't mean that the lost items couldn't be found very quickly and the owner's query answered.

To carry your analogy a little further, an eighty-year-old man may not be able to run for a mile as an eighteen-year-old could do, but it's very likely that he could walk that mile; most of my eighty-year-old friends could. So if Disney can process lost-and-found items for 3 million people a week, I don't think it's asking too much for a Celebrity ship to process them for 3 thousand people.

I never really gave this any thought before, but we frequently leave stuff behind on cruise ships and know others who do the same

It is typically something we just don't want to take home or don't have room to pack, but in good condition so we don't want to throw it in the trash if there is a possibility that someone else could use it.

We leave it out in a conspicuous place so it won't look like it was left behind accidentally.

But thinking about it now, they probably have hundreds, if not thousands of other passengers who do the same, so now I am wondering if all that left behind stuff just gets trashed after all.

I never really gave this any thought before, but we frequently leave stuff behind on cruise ships and know others who do the same

It is typically something we just don't want to take home or don't have room to pack, but in good condition so we don't want to throw it in the trash if there is a possibility that someone else could use it.

We leave it out in a conspicuous place so it won't look like it was left behind accidentally.

But thinking about it now, they probably have hundreds, if not thousands of other passengers who do the same, so now I am wondering if all that left behind stuff just gets trashed after all.

I think this is the most likely explanation. We often leave things like t-shirts and flip-flops behind at the end of a cruise. Probably many other passengers do the same and if the staff find clothing in a vacated cabin, they will treat it as something that has been deliberately discarded rather than lost property.

I have heard if you leaving anything that might be of use to someone, to leave a note with it telling the room steward that you no longer want it and he is free to dispose of it as he sees fit. Otherwise, he might get in trouble for not turning it in as "forgotten."

Tucker in Texas

Harsh group towards the OP. :confused:

I've left a number of things on airplanes and hotels and 90% of the time they have been returned to me. The one time I left something on a Celebrity ship (my jacket with car/house keys in the pocket) we had only left the ship 30 minutes earlier and asked if we could go back. We were told due to port regulations that we were not allowed, but to rest assured that they would find my jacket (I told them exactly where I had left it) and would mail it to me.

Long story short, never got the jacket.

While I understand it's my responsibility to make sure I leave the ship with my personal belongings, I think Celebrity doesn't have their act together when something does get left on board.

Hey, this is not fault of the cruise line. They deal with thousands of people and can't keep up with everyone's things...I would just make sure in the future that I packed all my belongings. Sorry for your loss. Maybe eventually you will hear something from customer service and get your items back.

I must admit I haven't read this entire thread but I have to cite two very positive instances accomplished by Celebrity crew and staff that we so much appreciated. Yes, we lost some things, entirely due to our own carelessness.

First instance, I foolishly did not check our safe before disembarking. Left my pouch of jewellry in the safe and did not think about it until about two hours after we had left the ship in San Diego. Fortunately, we were still in the area and returned to the port and the ship. Passengers for the next cruise were already queued up outside into the street but somehow I managed to catch the ear of someone managing the crowds. I knew that I had left my things in the safe and conveyed the information to Celebrity staff out in the street. They used their radios to convey the information - cabin number and where the items were left - to those inside. The suggestion was to wait. After about an hour an officer came out with my pouch and all of my items inside!! Was I surprised and very happy.

Second, we were on a back-to-back and having left our first stateroom and moving from place to place during the turnaround time, we managed to forget, somewhere, our Celebrity bag with swimming suits and a few other items, of great importance only to us. We asked at customer services several times over the beginning of our second leg. Nothing was recovered in the first couple of days but finally there was one of the bathing suits in the huge bag of items they had of lost items. After much digging through many, many items, all of our items were identified and reclaimed. We were very grateful that our lost items were now found.

So, there is some kind of system in place but maybe the volume is greater than can be easily coped with.

We were so happy and lucky to have retrieved our items in both cases.

Regards to all and a big "cheers" to Celebrity staff.

Barbara

Archived