If you leave anything behind on Celebrity...

jaxjww

Kiss it goodbye. My wife left about $400 worth of clothing on the Infinity when we debarked on May 18. We realized this almost immediately and I called Celebrity while I could see the ship from our Seattle hotel room. I told them EXACTLY what was missing and EXACTLY where to find it in our 7002 stateroom. I was assured that they take this seriously, and I was told they'd call with status. It's now May 29, and I just completed my third phone exchange where I'm told they are "unable to locate the missing items." This is ludicrous, of course. All they need to do is ask cabin steward Nasuha where they are. This was our 17th cruise since 2006, 4th on Celebrity. We'll be more careful about cruise line selection for all our future cruises.

Actually, you have the primary responsibility here. "But for" your forgetting your belongings, this would not have happened.

Try calling the ship directly ... you may have better luck than Celebrity customer service.

Sorry that the ship couldn't make up for your mistake, but really, where does the blame belong?:)? Yes, mistakes happen, and anyone can be careless, but it doesn't seem fair to be mad at Celebrity that they couldn't help in this case.

Don't blame the cruiseline. My son (13 at the time) left his new $500 glasses on a HAL boat. I called right away. I even told them where he left them in his cabin, was assured that someone would look for them. My son is now 19 and we have never seen the glasses again. I called the line everyweek after the boat was back in port. Lesson learned.

A few years ago, I forgot my laptop. It was under the bedspread on the floor at the foot of the bed, and we did not see it as we were leaving the room. We were in Charleston, and had driven to the port. I immediately called Celebrity, and they directed us to the port manager. We drove back to the port, and filled out the necessary papers. There was a really nice man in a golf cart who helped us. They said that the laptop had not been turned in, and so we started driving to Atlanta. About 30 minutes outside of Charleston, they called and had my laptop. We turned around and drove back to the port, and retrieved it. Very lucky.

To the OP:

Looks like you're getting lots of heat. Understand that when someone who has never posted before starts with a highly negative post, people react. There are just too many cases when people with a hidden agenda have used the board to vent. I'm sorry that Celebrity was unable or unwilling to help you. Perhaps the clothing will reappear and you'll get a call from Celebrity. Hopefully, we all learn from your experience and triple check all closets and drawers before we depart the ship. Hopefully you'll keep us informed.

Your fault, not the cruiselines. It would be wonderfull if they were able to return your clothes to you, however, they deal with thousands and thousand of people leaving the ship every week and it is not their responsibility to find lost items.

We were on the Solstice in March, and my daughter left her brand new bathing suit (bought just for the cruise) in the bathroom. Her sister told her multiple times the night before to pack it, but she didn't. I sent an e-mail to the lost luggage address, and they told me that it was a health hazard to hold passenger's clothes on the ship. Huh? That didn't make any sense, but I didn't persue the matter because the suit only cost $15.

A couple of years ago, I left a small bag with some nicer costume jewelry on the Carnival Legend. I called about it when I got home and unpacked, and they said it could be a couple of weeks. They took my credit card # and shipped the items back to me at my expense. I was glad to get it back, but I felt really stupid for leaving it in the first place.

$400 worth of clothing? I think I would notice if I left half my wardrobe on the ship.

After you leave the cabin the doors are open and unlocked,anyone,passengers or crew could have seen the clothes, maybe even the next people in the cabin, no way to know what happened.You certainly cannot blame the cabin steward without any proof.I guess you didn't check the wardrobe or drawers before you left?

Call me silly, but I don't bring $400 worth of anything on a cruise besides my wedding ring and if I'm not wearing it (only when I'm sleeping or go to Port) its locked in the safe.

Not a personal attack in any way and I feel your frustration. But ultimately the responsibility lies with you. Turn around day is total chaos and they work very hard to get the rooms cleaned for the next guests. Could you imagine if they had to constantly put things up that people left? You can bet your britches if it was the other way around and your cabin wasn't ready until sail away, you would be the first person to get on here and complain that they are slow, etc. Think of the repercussions of what you're saying.

I am the first one to admit that I bring somewhat expensive jewelry on a cruise. We enjoy dressing for dinner and I never seem to get to wear any of the pieces I love at home anymore. They are with me when I fly and in our safe in the cabin. Also they are insured but that doesn't mean that I would not be crushed by their loss. Back in the cabin after Formal Night on the first leg of our B2B on the Infinity, I put my gold bracelet in the safe but not in my jewelry bag. 2 days later we were on the second leg of our B2B but had to change cabins. My DH cleaned out the safe and moved the contents to our new cabin and we went on a tour in Santiago. First Formal night for the second leg comes and NO bracelet:eek: DH sure he got everything from the safe so I went and saw our previous room steward who tore our old room apart - under the bed, behind the drawers of the bedside tables etc. He was not authorized to ask the new occupants to open the safe and check so he told me he would get his Supervisor involved. That night we had a knock on the door and the Supervisor was there with my bracelet. It was not in the safe. The occupants had found it and kept it assuming we were off the ship. The Supervisor said it took about 5-10 before they offered up the bracelet. We never, ever assumed that our room steward was involved and made sure that both he and the Supervisor knew that. This was totally my fault. Lesson learned! Everything must go back in the bag! The safes are dark and items can get stuck up the sides or just missed. But I am still bringing my stuff cause I love wearing it:D

I'm sure the OP realizes it is ultimately his/her fault for forgetting the clothes. However, that said, we've all forgotten something at some point or another. Or are we all perfect?

It would be nice if there was a properly functioning procedure in place that actually worked and worked right in retrieving lost items. So many times I've read posts where the items are long gone and no one can put their hands on them. Certainly, if came out of a cabin, then it should be bagged and tagged with the cabin number and put into some lost and found process. This isn't new. I would imagine that leaving things behind happens every week over and over.

It's sad, but I learned to not expect to get back anything I left or lost. I also learned not to blame anyone, not even myself as mistakes happen.

I would have probably noticed $400 worth of clothing missing in my luggage when packing. But then again, my clothes aren't expensive.

Have you checked with your travel insurance or maybe even your CC if it covers lost luggage? Good luck!

I sympathize with the OP. I never left anything of value (other than unused water bottles) on a ship. However, I did recall watching a special promo show for Royal's Allure of the Seas where the ship's security RETURNED $40k worth of jewelry left in the ship's suite by passengers that missed the ship in the Eastern Caribbean.

So, the OP wasn't totally off expecting their goods to be returned. Unfortunately, I think the clothes were removed/disposed/donated before they could be returned. Hopefully they went to a good cause.

Kiss it goodbye. My wife left about $400 worth of clothing on the Infinity when we debarked on May 18. We realized this almost immediately and I called Celebrity while I could see the ship from our Seattle hotel room. I told them EXACTLY what was missing and EXACTLY where to find it in our 7002 stateroom. I was assured that they take this seriously, and I was told they'd call with status. It's now May 29, and I just completed my third phone exchange where I'm told they are "unable to locate the missing items." This is ludicrous, of course. All they need to do is ask cabin steward Nasuha where they are. This was our 17th cruise since 2006, 4th on Celebrity. We'll be more careful about cruise line selection for all our future cruises.

The first prt of the title of your thread says it all '' if you leave something behind ''....( fill in the blanks ); it can be on a ship, in an hotel room, on a train seat or in the sleeping car bedroom, in the park, at the theatre ,etc.etc,etc,,,,, ''kiss it goodbye'' as you said in the opening sentence of your post.

Frustating ? Yes. Always is when something happens as a cost for our oversight. Blaming the place where something was left behind is not really relevent....

Cheers

I'm sorry that your wives wardrobe was lost, but more bothered that you would insinuate that the room steward would know where your previous items were. I've read here that many people leave "things" behind as a possible tip... which I'm sure are not as appreciated as money, or sometimes people don't want to pack those items back through the airlines because of possible fees. Maybe they thought they were trash.

Well, I have a different experience. On the last night of our Eclipse cruise last July, I left my expensive and much treasured camera "somewhere" on the ship - no idea where - not in the cabin. It contained hundreds of photographs. On returning home to Northern Ireland, I emailed Celebrity and received a phone call 2 days later. A barman had handed in the camera and Celebrity posted it to me Special Delivery. I received it the next day. Super service!

How about being more careful to pack all of you wife's clothing prior to leaving the ship? ;)

Easiest - and best - answer!

I'm not sure how you can be more 'careful' about choosing a cruise line, as unexpected things happen, and the way they're handled varies all the time. You can't predict how a situation will be handled.

However, how your clothes are collected is something entirely under your control. As others said, it's unpleasant and annoying to lose something, but the primary responsibility for that lies with yourself and is something you _can_ control.

Just to show how things can happen. On the last night of our December cruise on the Connie, I packed everything that wasn't nailed down including my everyday sterling silver jewelry. The next morning was hectic as always and I just get ready quickly and go. I didn't see my jewelry anywhere, so thought I had put it in one of the suitcases that had been taken the night before. Got home and upacked everything in the suitcases and still didn't see the sterling jewelry. Of course you think someone had taken it somewhere along the way.

Later I was finishing putting everything away including my "purse" which is a large black canvas bag I carry for travel because it holds our papers, etc. I heard something rattle but couldn't see anything. I had put the jewelry in a zippered pocket of the purse that had a hole in it and the jewelry had slipped into the lining of the purse.

I silently said I was sorry to whomever I thought had taken it.

I'm sorry that your wives wardrobe was lost, but more bothered that you would insinuate that the room steward would know where your previous items were. I've read here that many people leave "things" behind as a possible tip... which I'm sure are not as appreciated as money, or sometimes people don't want to pack those items back through the airlines because of possible fees. Maybe they thought they were trash.

You bring up a good point, lots of people wear clothes in vacation and throw them away. I would guess finding clothes in a room is not unusual.

Kiss it goodbye.

It is amazing how many posters have such perfect packing procedures that they have never forgotten anything in their lives.

Not only have you lost something of value to you but you get the blame for Celebrity not having a policy for those who do lose or forget items on board.

There is even an incident where a passenger committed suicide in 2005 while on Mercury and

" Yes, Merrian had left some clothes and personal effects in the room, but that also isn't uncommon; guests leave lots of things. When Merrian didn't collect her belongings after the cruise, her clothes had been given to charity. Her purse, which contained some papers, keys and computer disks, had been put into storage."

Celebrity did not even notify next of kin.

http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special14/articles/1110vanished.html?&wired

In January we had just disembarked Constellation and were in our car on the way to Miami for our Millennium cruise when my wife told me she had forgotten her curling iron. I suggested that we just pick up a new one when she asked if there was anything else stored on the left side of the vanity and I broke out in a cold sweat. I had left my Kindle power cord, my computer and camera charger, as well as my computer mouse in that storage.

We turned around and went back to Port Everglades and Constellation to retrieve our belongings. It took over three hours from our first contact with a company representative in the terminal before someone did retrieve and return the items.

On another voyage we had forgotten a souvenir and a commemorative Remembrance day pin when we switched cabins. The next morning we returned to our previous cabin and were told that he had discarded the items. The items were not expensive but we were not impressed.

Mea culpa.. but yes we have been known to forget things and it is our fault but then I would also have been "miffed" at Celebrity for just dumping my stuff. And shame on all of you perfect types for "shooting" the messenger for this lack of company policy.

$400 doesn't exactly sound like a lot for clothing these days. One dress in the UK from a half decent shop can cost £100 ~$150.

I did leave something behind once. It was on the Infinity in 2004 going to Hawaii. They used to have a drawer above the mini-bar/fridge, however, this drawer was behind the door that they locked on the last night so that you could not use the mini-bar. I had left my make-up and curling tongs in this drawer.

The room steward obviously locked the door and I totally forgot the items were in there. When I got back home I emailed Celebrity who contacted the ship and asked if any items had been found in our cabin. I was told - Yes - both items were found, my make-up bag and curling tongs but they wouldn't post them. I posted on the roll-call for the next cruise on the Infinity and a lovely lady from California offered to retrieve my items. When she went to collect said items only my make-up bag was there. This lovely lady sent this onto me and she refused any payment for the postage. I do hope someone has helped her like she helped me - Karma I think they call it.

I replaced my curling tongs and learnt a lesson - strange thing is there were a couple of pieces of make-up in my bag which I never had before and were certainly not mine nor the lady's from California!!!!

Always double check every drawer and cupboard now and luckily the Solstice class ships don't have that stupid drawer!!!!!

Archived