Just thinking why.

wallygator

Ok so you post on CC and have big post numbers. Your signature says you did so many cruises. Caribbean, Caribbean, Caribbean . Did you ever want to cruise to somwhere else? If not why not? Fancy rooms then ( free bees) now cheap seats

I don't have that many posts or cruises, so I'm just going to give my speculation on the people I think you're referring to.

There are a lot of people who live in Florida or driving distance from another US port that sails to the Caribbean. They don't have to worry about purchasing plane tickets, and they have the advantage of being able to book last-minute if they like.

If you look at my sig, most of my cruises are Caribbean. This is because we have begun cruising every Christmas, and we like to escape to where it's warmer. We also have the advantage of being driving distance from Port Canaveral and Tampa, however, to ensure warm weather, we have begun flying to PR for southern Caribbean cruises.

I'd love to cruise other places. We've cruised Alaska, and I would like to do it again some day. I'm also planning to cruise the Mediterranean next spring/summer. And I'd really like to cruise the Panama Canal (looking to do that this winter, actually). My dream cruises, however, are an Asian itinerary... I'd love to visit Singapore. And then I want to cruise the Nile River.

Ok so you post on CC and have big post numbers. Your signature says you did so many cruises. Caribbean, Caribbean, Caribbean . Did you ever want to cruise to somwhere else? If not why not? Fancy rooms then ( free bees) now cheap seats

For some cruisers, the Caribbean is all they know and/or choose to do. And you know what? That's their right because it's their vacation $$ and they can choose to spend it as they wish. For me, I'm done with the islands for a while. The next cruise I'm planning on will be the Mediterranean. I need to see the cruise world from a non-Caribbean perspective.

I dont post past cruises, but if I did they'd mostly be Caribbean. What you don't see is that they are only 1/3 to 1/4 of my TRIPS; most of which aren't cruises, so I wouldn't post them, review them or put them in my signature here. That may be true for others.

Also, I have speculated that there are ( at least) two kinds of cruisers- those who cruise the same places and lines because it's like going to a summer home or the same resort every summer, it's a familiar place where they know what to expect and how to relax. And then there are the adventure cruisers who cruise to explore and discover new places. There are also some who do a combination of both.

But I'm not sure what the post counts and signatures have to do with it really?? There are better traveled people with no signatures and some with high post counts who never cruise!;)

For some cruisers, the Caribbean is all they know and/or choose to do. And you know what? That's their right because it's their vacation $$ and they can choose to spend it as they wish. For me, I'm done with the islands for a while. The next cruise I'm planning on will be the Mediterranean. I need to see the cruise world from a non-Caribbean perspective.

There is so much to see and we are trying to see it all.

There is so much to see and we are trying to see it all.

Of course, but to see it all takes time and money, and not all of us have a lot of both of those.

I assume you were sincerely asking about this and not being sarcastic, in which Little Miss' reply fits. If you live in Florida, you might be able to drive to the port, thus making a Caribbean cruise more affordable than another cruise. It's certainly one of the reasons we are considering buying property in Fort Lauderdale. :)

It's about the same distance for us to drive to a cruise port or the beach. It's about the same price to go to the Caribbean for a week in a balcony or to stay in a condo and cook all week, while having to deal with driving to the grocery store and paying to go out to eat. So it's a no brainier.

I dont like to leave my employees for longer than 5 business days at a time, so that leaves me with maximum of 8 days, so that rules our Europe for a few years, and we have been to Italy and Spain on land vacations, along with over 10 Caribbean destinations. No desire to do a cold weather cruise to Canada or Alaska.

I'm sorry if that irritates you. We love the Caribbean, so why not?

All that I can say is............I wished I lived in Florida!:D

Royal Caribbean made sure that where I now live, 5 hours from the West Coast, either San Pedro (LA) or San Diego, of which I have lived for the past 13 years, won't be served by them, now, or anytime in the near future.

And my DW won't let me move back to to the Seattle area.......as it rains too much there......for her. Besides, just how many times can one do Alaska.

Our family holds the piers together there.........just check out the bolts.....any one with a Y in the head.....stands for Northwest Bolt & Nut Co. something that my father built from 1921 on, till we sold it about 14 years ago.

We do have on our bucket list, New Zealand, and maybe South Africa. Much of the northern part is being taken up by our next TA which includes the Faroe Islands (ever heard of them) and Iceland!

We are very fortunate to have cruised to some very awesome places throughout the world, and I have flown to others.

I know that we are not the execption to the rule, although, there are many more that have just sailed in certain parts of the world, never exploring the whole globe!

Awe.......we have time ahead of us........especially when I retire..........or should I say semi retire.......and then we can expand on the areas that we love, and want to see!

I'm so glad, that it's not just the Caribbean!;)

Rick

It's about the same distance for us to drive to a cruise port or the beach. It's about the same price to go to the Caribbean for a week in a balcony or to stay in a condo and cook all week, while having to deal with driving to the grocery store and paying to go out to eat. So it's a no brainier.

I dont like to leave my employees for longer than 5 business days at a time, so that leaves me with maximum of 8 days, so that rules our Europe for a few years, and we have been to Italy and Spain on land vacations, along with over 10 Caribbean destinations. No desire to do a cold weather cruise to Canada or Alaska.

I'm sorry if that irritates you. We love the Caribbean, so why not?

I have the time thing too! Many might be in our boat- either work, or school commitments. We have a summer home so don't travel much in the summer except big trips with the kids. If we are traveling with them during the school year we are limited to a few ( very expensive weeks a year) if we travel without them, it is challenging to leave them for more than a week. We wont be able plan Asia or going back to Oz and NZ till we have an empty nest.

So you see- the reasons for Caribbean cruises keep piling up;)

I dont post past cruises, but if I did they'd mostly be Caribbean. What you don't see is that they are only 1/3 to 1/4 of my TRIPS; most of which aren't cruises, so I wouldn't post them, review them or put them in my signature here. That may be true for others.

Also, I have speculated that there are ( at least) two kinds of cruisers- those who cruise the same places and lines because it's like going to a summer home or the same resort every summer, it's a familiar place where they know what to expect and how to relax. And then there are the adventure cruisers who cruise to explore and discover new places. There are also some who do a combination of both.

But I'm not sure what the post counts and signatures have to do with it really?? There are better traveled people with no signatures and some with high post counts who never cruise!;)

Exactly ;)

Yeah... I'm one of them.

I only cruise the caribbean for a few reasons.

1) I don't think i'd like Alaska... I think cruise ship, I think pools, tropical drinks warm weather. being on a ship in alaska, doesn't appeal to me. Finally caved and planned to go this year, and ended up cancelling. None of my friends going were surprised. Same goes for New England. Hawaii i'd do, but the trips are too long. Bermuda's possible but the ships out of NYC aren't nice and the water's usually rough crossing the gulf stream

2) Its all an experience. I am an adventure traveler, I love to explore new places but I tend to plan plan plan and spend a lot of time there. I explore new places via plane and long stays. Cruises are when I lock the phone, wallet, and rules away and don't want to be bothered. Its step on board, drink something tropical and find me in the sun relaxing and sailing into a tropical lush island where i again do something mindless. That's the experience I go for. Europe is best train rides, educational stops, time to explore, not coming back to a ship. That's just me

3) I like the new ships. If RCI were to deploy their newest, coolest, best ship somewhere else, I'd probably go. I tend to sail the first year of a new ship. It's always deployed to the caribbean so it's where we wind up.

OK, I only have 1 Caribbean done with many more to come. Why? Because there are so many islands. We went to Mexico first because it was close. Can't do that on RCCL any more. We really wanted to travel to Alaska. Many don't want to do "cold" cruises but the beauty of the place made us go and I am glad. We have been to 1 Caribbean, 2 cancelled due to medical reasons, and 2 more booked. Again, because it is warm and there are diverse places to go.

As for Europe, I am not too sure. I would love to see the northern Baltic (probably too cold for you warm weather cruises) but I would love to see St. Petersburg and maybe sail the Northern territories. I also would be interested in a cool Boston/Canada trip.

The Med? Nah, not so much. Holy Lands? Forget it. Being a Christian woman in the "Holy Lands" area is down right scary. Dubai? Again, Christian + Woman = No Go.

I would fancy a trip to Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific but it is rather cost prohibitive. I would like to do the Hawaiian Islands but sorry for RCCL DH is in the frozen vegetable industry and has to pick between June and October so we will have to for go RCCL to get to Hawaii since they only visit the West coast to travel to Alaska and again enroute to Australia/NZ.

So why Caribbean? Airfare even from the West coast is half or more less than to Europe/Australia/NZ. I may be able to get a decent cruise price in Europe but is it going where I want to go and when I am able to travel??

We don't have a ton of cruises, one has been to the west coast of the US and one to the med- am booking our second med soon. More Caribbean than anything, because its easier for our extended family to meet us. We live in Hawaii and lived in Alaska previously, so AK and HI cruises don't interest us.

My jury is out on this one. We are Caribbean based cruisers as well. As New Englanders, we are used to our weather and we actually (usually) enjoy the changes. Cruising out of Bayonne is appealing to us to not have to fly.

Not looking forward to the weather the first few days, but since we enjoy our ship experience, we are so looking forward to it.

On the other hand I would enjoy cruising Alaska, and Europe. We have freinds in Hawaii, so that would be a land vacation for us. In my case, that's how I would like it. Don't get me wrong, I'd cruise it as well. ;)

Hubby on the other hand has no desire to travel abroad. I would like to, so If I'm able I would have to travel with a friend or another family member.

I think it's cool that people can travel as much as they can whether is be Caribbean or abroad. Someday I hope to become more diversified.

I certainly wouldn't put anyone down for their choices. I was sort of forced to go to Alaska. My ex and I were rock and ice climbers, and he had lived there. I was dreading it! It was awesome! Even though he wasn't, I was amazed at Alaska, and would love to go again with a real man, hubby of course.

Everyone just enjoy your choices, and if you can venture outside the box you may be pleasantly surprised.

Happy cruising

We live in the NE (NJ) part of the country, the Caribbean offers warm sunny conditions in the winter in addition to offering extended trips out of home ports. It just doesn't get much better than that.:cool:

Of course w enjoy a late spring Bermuda or early fall New England itinerary too, but I do understand the draw of the Caribbean. And some of us wouldn't mind if the ship went to nice weather and spun in circles for a week at sea without a port stop, we just enjoy the ship that much.

Hi Kuffmup.

I noticed you put you would not travel to the Holylands or Dubai due to being a Christain lady. Its honestly not as bad as the media portray it, while i have not been everywhere around there (booked in to do israel later this year), everywhere there that i have been the people have been so welcoming and friendly and religion is really not an issue. I was actually rather surpised in Jordan how well all the opposite religions got on.

Its a lovelly part of the world and im not saying you shoudl do it if you don't want to but if its only fear of being a christian thats holding you back i would honestly not worry.

For me it's the prices. It's just cheaper to take my family on a cruise to the Caribbean. However, after my next cruise I'm hoping to save up and start cruising in different parts of the world. I want to do Med or Europe and then try Australia/New Zealand. Flights are much more expensive though:rolleyes:

We have done Bermuda, Caribbean, Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, and a TA.

• Recent events and economy prevented us from cruising to the Greek Isles. Plus I need to travel to Venice first.
  • Since it is easy for us to drive to cities on the east coast, there is no interest in a Canada/New England itinerary.
  • I don't always like to take 2 weeks vacation, so we haven't looked too much at the Panama Canal.
  • Norwegian Fyords will be in the next couple years.

As for others, I refuse to be restricted to just a few hours at certain cities. We are taking a land vacation to Italy next year. It is only after that, that I will contemplate taking a cruise that includes Rome and/or Venice. Same theory applies with Asia and Australia.

We have been on 22 Princess cruises. I don't list them in my signature, but not one was a Caribbean Cruise. One was Mexican Riviera and two were to Alaska. Others were to Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and South America. We love to go to new places and see different things.

We are from Maine and enjoy going to Florida and then on a Caribbean cruise after a long winter.

We have been Transatlantic and enjoyed that, but our desire is warm weather, and fun for us is swimming and exploring beaches.

Also, the Caribbean cultures appeal to us. Having lived in Curacao, which has folks from over 50 countries, we met people from all over the world- it was very interesting. We try to be travelers, not tourists, and explore the islands and the history of a colorful and warm part of the world. So far, we have visited 21 islands, some several times, and we always find new adventures and revisit our favorite places.

We have been on land vacations in the US, Canada, and Europe- but prefer the Caribbean for cruising.

It's all a matter of personal preference and we respect all cruise choices.

I've taken land vacations to plenty of non-Caribbean places. I'm not very interested in going to Alaska, Asia, or New England/Canada (I live in Massachusetts). The only other places I'd like to cruise to are Europe and Australia/South Pacific area, but it would be really expensive for me to fly there. Cruising to the Caribbean allows me to experience the warm weather and exceptionally beautiful beaches that I don't have up here, and it's affordable and easy to get to.

Ok so you post on CC and have big post numbers. Your signature says you did so many cruises. Caribbean, Caribbean, Caribbean . Did you ever want to cruise to somewhere else? If not why not? Fancy rooms then ( free bees) now cheap seats

I like to go other places (Europe ect) too but its expensive with the airfare and takes more time off work. As for the Caribbean, I like the ocean sports and its cheap. I go on my 18th Cruise in June....All but 4 of these has been to the Caribbean. I don't go there to sight see anymore. I go to snorkel, scuba dive, kayak, go zip-lining or just veg out on some beach for a break from the long Oklahoma winter.

Living in the Midwest, we have to fly to any cruise, but it is cheaper (or uses less miles) to go to the Caribbean than anywhere else.

Also, we live on a lovely lake and summer is like living at a resort--no reason to cruise during that time of year. If we vacation in summer we tend to go to Montana, where a son and family live, and visit places along the way.

In winter we mostly want to get away from the cold. Yes, we have been to the Caribbean many times, but it's the closest and most cost-effective trip for us. We try to find new ports, but that's not always possible, or try new things in ports we've been to before. We prefer a 10-14 day cruise since we have the time.

We try to do at least one more ambitious cruise a year, like a TA. This spring we did the Med. It was a great cruise, but quite expensive compared to the Caribe, and the flights were killers.

We'd love to go on some more exotic cruises, and plan on doing so if possible. But, the Caribbean is always warm, beautiful and relaxing and a great deal.

Archived