Distilled water

scapel

You can order it in advance. Last I knew HAL was charging $4.00 for a gallon jug, which is highway robbery, imo.

A week using tap water won't harm your CPAP machine.

I need distilled water for a reason other than a CPAP machine. I have paid the $4.00 per gallon because I do not have a choice. If you call ship services and order it beforehand, it will be in your stateroom upon embarkation.

Terri

You can either order in advance or have it delivered to your room. Just either ask your Cabin Steward or call the front desk if you do not order it before you board. The cost is $4.00

Here is a very recent thread about use of CPAPs aboard HAL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1603313

You can request distilled water and a long extension cord from the front desk. I asked only for the latter and got a brand new 25 footer which you can run from the desk outlet and around the wall perimeter.

Wearing a full-face mask and not using water, I managed a 32 night b2b using air only. As a mouth-breather, normally the throat would be very dry come morning under those circumstances but let me join the chorus of those who believe that the sea atmosphere did the trick.

I never use tap water in my machine under any circumstances.

While I understand your need, I will comment that often the ships water is distilled from sea water. It depends on the ship and the itinerary how much comes from there versus purchased in a port.

While I understand your need, I will comment that often the ships water is distilled from sea water. It depends on the ship and the itinerary how much comes from there versus purchased in a port.

There are minerals added to the water they produce. I was told be a chief engineer that it is done for the health of the crew.

My last CPAP came with a fancy heated water feature -- I used a few times then stopped bothering with. I just use the air and it seems to work fine for me. DW reminds me how much that featured added to the cost of the machine -- we have crappy insurance :o

Be careful there. While some or all of the ship's water is produced from sea water, it is a desalination process. IIRC, most ships use some form of reverse osmosis instead of distillation. It doesn't really matter because by the time it gets to your sink it most certainty isn't “distilled” quality.

$4 a gallon for distilled water doesn't sound too bad. Don't they charge more than that for the bottled drinking water?

Be careful there. While some or all of the ship's water is produced from sea water, it is a desalination process. IIRC, most ships use some form of reverse osmosis instead of distillation. It doesn't really matter because by the time it gets to your sink it most certainty isn't “distilled” quality.

$4 a gallon for distilled water doesn't sound too bad. Don't they charge more than that for the bottled drinking water?

I understand, I wasn't suggesting that someone that needs true distilled water could use ship water, I was more providing some info on where much of the ships water comes from. I would rather drink desalination water then most tap water.

We pay 69¢ at our local grocery. While on vacation in another city it was $1 a gallon. :rolleyes:

I never thought about it before, but couldn't you carry aboard a gallon of distilled water? I know that those who fly may not be able to do so, but those who drive could bring a plastic gallon jug, I guess. And, if you are having your cab stop at Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale, for example, I would think there must be somewhere that would have distilled water for purchase (of course, the extra cab waiting fare may be more than the $4 HAL charges :D)

Dave

We pay 69¢ at our local grocery. While on vacation in another city it was $1 a gallon. :rolleyes:

Compared to the markup HAL (and all cruise lines) charges for a can of coke, a 1L bottle of drinking water, or a variety of other items, $4 a gallon still doesn't sound unreasonable to me...

Dave is is right. They should have no objection to you carrying on your own jug.

... $4 a gallon still doesn't sound unreasonable to me...
No, over a 550% mark-up isn't at all unreasonable. :rolleyes: On Disney there isn't a charge for distilled water (or soda, which we don't drink but a lot do).

Compared to the markup HAL (and all cruise lines) charges for a can of coke, a 1L bottle of drinking water, or a variety of other items, $4 a gallon still doesn't sound unreasonable to me...

Dave is is right. They should have no objection to you carrying on your own jug.

They don't have any objection to brining your own distilled water on board. When I called ship services to order it, I was told that I was welcome to bring my own if I wished.

Terri

Archived