Afternoon Tea

roomba920

Anyone here experience afternoon tea on Princess?

I love going to tea rooms and I'm excited to attend this treat on our upcoming cruise. What kind of tea was offered? food? music?

Anyone have a menu or pictures to share?

Here are the teas offered, sorry I can't help you with your other questions.

Types of Tea: Princess offers regular Lipton tea and a selection of Bigelow teas that include chammomile, Earl Grey, mint, herb and fruit, lemon, English Breakfast, Darjeeling, Orange Spice and green tea.

The last few times I've gone to tea, it was served in a small section of the traditional dining room. There is no music, tea bags are served with hot water (I was not served pre-made tea by a waiter), the sandwiches and sweets are very nice, the wait staff is attentive and I've been seated with some delightful people. Not a tea room experience, but still enjoyable.

The last few times I've gone to tea, it was served in a small section of the traditional dining room. There is no music, tea bags are served with hot water (I was not served pre-made tea by a waiter), the sandwiches and sweets are very nice, the wait staff is attentive and I've been seated with some delightful people. Not a tea room experience, but still enjoyable.

Hmmm....granted, I haven't gone to Afternoon Tea on our last couple of cruises, but a year ago, the tea was served by white-gloved waiters and we had music with a gentleman on guitar and another playing keyboards. Is this not the case anymore?

Hmmm....granted, I haven't gone to Afternoon Tea on our last couple of cruises, but a year ago, the tea was served by white-gloved waiters and we had music with a gentleman on guitar and another playing keyboards. Is this not the case anymore?

I was on the Crown Princess April 21st and the Afternoon teas had all of what you described above. Every Princess cruise I go on ( several a year ), they have tea served by white gloved waiters,live music and crowds. The one in April got so crowded they took over 4 tables of 10 each across the walkway from the others seated for the tea. A big increase in the number of men attending. It was close to 50/50. Very enjoyable !

Sali

Had afternoon tea 3x on a recent repo cruise on the Island Princess. There was a classical music trio (from some Eastern European country who also played evenings in the atrium). Service was haphazard the first day (the white glove doesn't disguise the haphazardness). For example, cream and strawberry jam served but had to wave down the waitress for scones (which were good that day) which came many minutes later. Some U.S. tablemates ate their jam and cream before the scones came.

Slightly better service the next two teas but the scones were overbaked. Service still felt rushed.

No choices of tea (just Lipton yellow label) offered, which varied between insipidly weak and-tolerably weak.

One of the reasons that we basically stopped going to Afternoon Tea was because of the Elite/Platinum lounge. After having tea and scones, we'd move to the lounge where we'd have some more appetizers (and drinks) and by the time dinner rolled around, we'd be full... :p

Anyone here experience afternoon tea on Princess?

I love going to tea rooms and I'm excited to attend this treat on our upcoming cruise. What kind of tea was offered? food? music?

Anyone have a menu or pictures to share?

I have done tea on Princess every cruise.

Ask for the flavor of tea you want or they will just pour a generic one. They always seem rushed.

There are plenty of sandwiches, scones, desserts, etc.They bring around trays.

I say just go on your cruise and decide for yourself if you like it, experience it once for sure. Also it is not just for the ladies, I always remind my husband of that. On Princess it usually is from 3:30-4:30pm most days of the cruise, you just show up anytime between those hours. Takes less than 30min. to complete tea,they seem to be very fast in getting you on your merry way.

Yes there is music, but I never hear it, as it has always been at the entrance.

I can give you a recipe for "Cornish" scones if you'd like it? They are far more delicious than the Princess ones (in my opinion!).:)

Totally agree. They don't bake a proper scone the same as they don't do a good roast potato. I'm not complaining though, everything else is great. Oh and of course you don't get clotted cream although last month on the Caribbean Princess the cream was thicker and better than usual.

Hope you enjoy these!! As Princess Cat says we serve them with clotted cream which is much thicker than the cream they have on Grand Princess. We too love the food they serve!

CORNISH SCONES RECIPE.

Ingredients

· 500 g plain flour

· 4 tsp baking powder

· 75 g caster sugar

· 85 g butter

· 2 eggs, lightly beaten

· 230 ml milk

· 1 eggs, beaten to glaze

1. Preheat the oven to 230°C/gas 8.

2. Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar together in a bowl. Sift again to ensure the baking power is well mixed.

3. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

4. Make a well in the centre and pour in the eggs and enough milk to give a fairly soft dough.

5. Turn the mixture onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out lightly to a thickness of about 2cm. Cut into rounds with a 5cm cutter.

6. Place the rounds on a baking sheet. Liberally brush with beaten egg, making sure the egg wash doesn't spill over the edges (this will prevent cooking).

7. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until brown and well risen.

8. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve with Jam & clotted cream.

My fiancee and I have a suite for our honeymoon next year. How does the Afternoon Tea work for in suite? Is there a menu we order from or do they just bring a selection of teas and snacky things?

My fiancee and I have a suite for our honeymoon next year. How does the Afternoon Tea work for in suite? Is there a menu we order from or do they just bring a selection of teas and snacky things?

Just call down several hours ahead and they will deliver it to your cabin and set it up on the balcony - tablecloth and all. Very nice we do it every three days or so.

Have a wonderful honeymoon!!!

Thank you all for the replies. I'm even more excited now. Hope it's not too rushed, as afternoon tea should be relaxed light meal. I'm also hoping there's soothing classical music. Such an elegant indulgence. :)

Hello Roomba

I will cruising with you in November, and will be seeing you at tea. I love it. I don't feel rushed, but we typically did early seating for dinner so tea was just a quick way to pop in and get a delicious scone. We were usually the first from our table to leave, but others seemed to sit and relax. This time round we have late seating so I am looking forward to sitting a bit longer. And I do like the idea that someone mentioned of sauntering over to the platinum lounge afterwards.

Cheers!

Will they allow a couple to sit alone, & what days do they serve afternoon tea. Is it served on all sea days? TIA

I have seen people sitting alone, but it seems like they do tend to group people together and sitting alone was more of a function of the table not being filled. I haven't seen many tables for 2 used. Even though you are sitting with others, it is really a go at your own pace kind of thing.

I have been to soooooooo many of the Afternoon Teas on all of the PCL ships we have cruised and enjoyed each and everyone one of them.

If you would like to see some photos of the Afternoon Tea on the Emerald Princess I enjoyed with friends last year...click the link below. Then click on NEXT photo (far right side of page) to see more photos of our lovely Tea:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2796192970095430378kPjAEU

Enjoy!:D

Archived