Onboard booking question

I have never booked another cruise while on the ship. I read about it alot on these boards. I was just wondering how this works. We are a family of four and our deposit thru the TA or online TA is usually $1000.00 to book, is that the same deposit on the ship or is it lower? I also read that you might get more OBC when you book onboard, is that correct? We are going to be cruising in Sept. of this year, would it be a good thing to look into onboard booking? What are the advantages? Thanks in advance for any info I could get. Andi:)

I have never booked another cruise while on the ship. I read about it alot on these boards. I was just wondering how this works. We are a family of four and our deposit thru the TA or online TA is usually $1000.00 to book, is that the same deposit on the ship or is it lower? I also read that you might get more OBC when you book onboard, is that correct? We are going to be cruising in Sept. of this year, would it be a good thing to look into onboard booking? What are the advantages? Thanks in advance for any info I could get. Andi:)

The deposit when booking on board (except for booking Grand Suites or better) is $100 per person. You also get an on board credit which is based on the length of the cruise your book. The OBC is $100 per cabin for 7 day cruise. I can't think of any disadvantages.

your 100$ on board booking credit will be your deposit-plus you get another 100$ obc for booking on board(you will have an actual booking no.that you can use for a later cruise. if you are on a longer cruise-we are receiving 150$for our 12 day ta )you get more BUT only per cabin-not per person.we both put 100$ down and that was used as our deposit.

You can either book your next cruise or obtain a Next Cruise Certificate. Deposit is usally $100pp, unless you are in a suite, in which case the usual deposit applies. You also get an OBC, depending on duration of the cruise, etc.

Below is the advertisement we received on our last cruise:

Why not have an open booking? Open booking never expires

Benefits:

• Up to $200 Onboard credit
  • Only 1 name required
  • Use with any travel agency or Royal Caribbean Direct
  • Open Booking can be made for Royal, Celebrity, or Azarma
  • Deposit: USD $100

Combine with Plantinum and above Balcony / Suite discounts or Crown & Anchor Society Savings certificates.

Amount OBC varies with sailing:

• 3 - 5 Nights $25
  • 6 - 9 Nights $100
  • 10 - 14 Nights $150
  • 15 + Nights $200

To save on the deposits, you can only use one name per cabin which allows you to only expend $100 instead of the usual. Then, at final payment add the additional names. (Note: Suites require normal deposits.)

When booking on board there are 2 types of bookings:

1. Booking a Future Cruise where you are picking a specific itinerary/sailing date. You get the reduced deposit of $100pp, which is refundable if you cancel prior to final payment.

2. Creating a NextCruise booking is where you are "not" picking a specific sailing date. With this type of booking you also get a reduced deposit of $100pp, which once converted would be refundable as well if you canceled. A booking number is assigned that only becomes active once you convert to a specific itinerary/sailing date. There is no further money due at the time of conversion until final payment. A NextCruise does not expire. You also can get two Certificates for Family and Friends with a NextCruise booking.

Both types of bookings will get you an OBC and balcony discount. Platinum~Emerald~Diamond~Diamond Plus~Pinnacle Balcony Discounts as of Jan. 21, 2011 or the ability to use a C&A Savings Certificate if one becomes available for your cruise.

The only time you do not get a reduced deposit is when you book a GS cabin or higher, then the deposit is double what it normally would be.

With the above bookings you can combine OBC from Visa Points and OBC received from a TA or as a gift from family/friends with any two benefits from RCI.

Something else to know:

You can book a Celebrity cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship and a Royal cruise on a Celebrity chip.

You can purchase open booking certificates for Royal on a Celebrity ship and for Celebrity on a Royal Ship.

Both lines will give you OBC. Loyalty Club bonuses are different with each line.

Even if you book on board or use an open booking certificate, you have 60 days to transfer the booking to a travel agent. Many of us book that way then "shop" for a travel agent who will give us extra perks, like additional OBC, prepaid gratuities, specialty restaurant dinners, spa treatments and maybe a bottle of wine.

Something else to know:

You can book a Celebrity cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship and a Royal cruise on a Celebrity chip.

You can purchase open booking certificates for Royal on a Celebrity ship and for Celebrity on a Royal Ship.

Both lines will give you OBC. Loyalty Club bonuses are different with each line.

Even if you book on board or use an open booking certificate, you have 60 days to transfer the booking to a travel agent. Many of us book that way then "shop" for a travel agent who will give us extra perks, like additional OBC, prepaid gratuities, specialty restaurant dinners, spa treatments and maybe a bottle of wine.

Just to add, on some ships you are only allowed to create 2 NC Bookings. It all depends on the Loyalty Ambassador.

You have 60 days to transfer a FC to a TA after it has been booked on board.

You have 60 days to transfer a NC to a TA once it has been converted to a specific cruise which could be 2 months or it could be 2 years.

Just to add, on some ships you are only allowed to create 2 NC Bookings. It all depends on the Loyalty Ambassador.

You have 60 days to transfer a FC to a TA after it has been booked on board.

You have 60 days to transfer a NC to a TA once it has been converted to a specific cruise which could be 2 months or it could be 2 years.

Patti: Thanks for the info. I was wondering if there was a limit to what we could do. On our NOS sailing, we booked the upcoming NOS cruise and obtained a Next Cruise Certificate for Celebrity. When all the deployments came out recently, I wished I had an Open Booking for RCL for our Monarch cruise and another Open Passage for our Equinox sailing in 2014. As a result, I missed out on OBC and had to shell out full deposits.

That got me to thinking, I should have about 2 Open Bookings hanging around for RCL and Celebrity in case something comes up. So, my plan was to get two on our NOS sailing in November. Since there is a limit, I guess I will get an RCL and a Celebrity Open Booking in September on Monarch and then repeat the process in November on NOS. Will that work?

Patti: Thanks for the info. I was wondering if there was a limit to what we could do. On our NOS sailing, we booked the upcoming NOS cruise and obtained a Next Cruise Certificate for Celebrity. When all the deployments came out recently, I wished I had an Open Booking for RCL for our Monarch cruise and another Open Passage for our Equinox sailing in 2014. As a result, I missed out on OBC and had to shell out full deposits.

That got me to thinking, I should have about 2 Open Bookings hanging around for RCL and Celebrity in case something comes up. So, my plan was to get two on our NOS sailing in November. Since there is a limit, I guess I will get an RCL and a Celebrity Open Booking in September on Monarch and then repeat the process in November on NOS. Will that work?

We were told we could create 2 NC bookings per cruise. So on our recent b2b2b we were allowed to create 2 the first week, 2 the second week and then booked a b2b the third week.:D We just put each booking in one name.

But, you may get an LA who will let you book at many as you want.

My husband and I just read thru the thread and are so thankful for all the info. Now we are really excited about cruising in September and booking onboard. I'm so glad I have joined CC and have all of you to help me become a seasoned cruiser like you all. Thanks again!!:D

We were told we could create 2 NC bookings per cruise. So on our recent b2b2b we were allowed to create 2 the first week, 2 the second week and then booked a b2b the third week.:D We just put each booking in one name.

But, you may get an LA who will let you book at many as you want.

There is no limit if you are getting them on Celebrity. I got 2 Royal NC and 2 Celebrity NC on Century in April.

I was just talking with my TA and she thought that with the NexT cruise certificate ( no specific date) you did not get an OBC. I knew I had read this thread and you all seem to think you get OBC whether you book a NCC Or FCC.

Do I understand that correctly?

Do the assign the OBC after you book, because the amount is dependent on the length of the cruise?

Just trying to clarify and fully understand.

Thanks.

I was just talking with my TA and she thought that with the NexT cruise certificate ( no specific date) you did not get an OBC. I knew I had read this thread and you all seem to think you get OBC whether you book a NCC Or FCC.

Do I understand that correctly? Yes, the OBC for booking a future cruise or NC is identical.

Do the assign the OBC after you book, because the amount is dependent on the length of the cruise? Yes

Just trying to clarify and fully understand.

Thanks.

See answers in RED above.

Archived