Question about bringing water onboard

Bibble

I found on NCL's website that we can't bring alcoholic liquid and beverages, but it doesn't say we can't bring soda and water.

Does that mean we CAN bring some soda and water? (I have only done one NCL cruise in the past, and it was a while ago, so I don't recall.)

Thank you!

Yes, you can bring soda and water on board. (I wouldn't bother with the water, though, the ship's water out of the tap tastes just fine, particularly chilled in your cabin mini-fridge.)

Easiest way is to slap a luggage tag on it and give it to the porters with your other checked bags.

Have a great trip!

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to go through the pain and trama of lugging soda or water onboard when there already is perfectly good soda and water onboard (and tastes exactly like what you're trying to bring onboard!). If it's the cost, then you can't afford to go cruising.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to go through the pain and trama of lugging soda or water onboard when there already is perfectly good soda and water onboard (and tastes exactly like what you're trying to bring onboard!). If it's the cost, then you can't afford to go cruising.

Since we drink Champagne when we cruise we see no reason to bring soda but if we drank soda we should have to bring it since they serve Pepsi and not Coke on NCL!

For me, I tried drinking the water, but it doesn't taste like the water I am used to drinking, so since it's my vacation, I'd like to be as comfortable as possible and having my bottled water makes me comfortable... so that's what I do.

It's just a habit for many of us here on Long Island where breast cancer rates are several times the national average. Many are convinced it's all the industrial crud leeching into the water table. I'm sure the water on board is as pure or purer as anything we would bring but my wife and three daughters won't be convinced.

The only reason I've ever brought soda on board is because NCL is a Pepsi company and just about everything Pepsi makes is loaded with caffeine, and I don't drink caffeine. In fact, I drink very little soda. Generally, I bring some canned seltzer on board -- something you can't easily get on board.

And there's a real convenience factor to having the cans in your cabin fridge late at night if you want something cold to drink....

It's not about the cost.

(BTW, I just got back from a TA on Celebrity, which is a Coke company. I loved that they had diet caffeine free Coke on board, for those few times I wanted it..)

I can't for the life of me understand The OP didn't ask if you understood or not, they simply asked for factswhy anyone would want to go through the pain and trama of lugging Pain and trauma taking a case of each out of a trunk and placing it by the curb for a porter? You must have a different dictionary than I do.soda or water onboard when there already is perfectly good soda and water onboard Perfect to you maybe. While I like Pepsi, not everyone else does.(and tastes exactly like what you're trying to bring onboard!)The water is fine, but it does not taste "exactly" like my brand of choice.. If it's the cost, then you can't afford to go cruising.
just a wee bit judgmental, huh?

Never had a problem bringing soda onboard. I usually bring a case of Coke, since NCL has Pepsi. Seen many also bringing water on, but you really don't need to. I am a water "snob", and have no issues drinking the water on the ships.

..or some people don't like paying a 500% mark-up on soda. Its called gouging!!

+1 Besides, most of us can afford it - it's more of a matter of personal choice and preference ... and, what does one say about those * runners.

To answer OP's question, just BRING it on - in reasonable quantity and respect the rules, you will be fine.

For the 2 or 3 of us that cruise together, we don't NEED a case of water from our local BJ Wholesales @ $10 or less - we take 2 or 3 bottles each in our backpacks and port/ship security has yet to give us any "issues" in 10 years passing thru the x-ray (unlike those TSA monsters at the airport !! - confiscate those from home & then sell them inside the "secured" terminal at 300% markup :rolleyes: ) It's enough to get us going, and we have our BPA-free sports bottle to get refills of water from the buffet/cafe as necessary, kept cold in the cooler box/mini refrigerator.

We spend enough $$ onboard on other things but not on soda and water in a can/bottle. What we saved, little as it might seem, goes toward rewarding our hard-working crew members for their services above & beyond, as we see fit - the standardized tipping of $12 pp/pd isn't much when we think about it - has nothing to do with affordability, YMMV - of course.

Besides, for our ports of call, we like to do a little bit of local economic re-investment & spreading good wills in supporting the small shops & stands, and it isn't just about shopping at the jewelry/watch retailers, LV's or designer boutiques. This included buying/restocking extra/more bottled water and (sometimes, not always) soda to bring them back on to ship/stateroom - especially for longer sailings & in hot/warm weather - to enjoy, whenever & whatever - yeah, Coke products preferred over Pepsi (and, we got our local Pepsi bottling plant & distribution warehouse 5 blocks away from our house) It solved the problem of pulling a case or box full of soad & water at the embarkation port - always at lower prices than what's available on the ship. Last time I looked, a 1/4 sized tube of potatao chips inside the mini-bar was like $4 with auto-tips, no thanks - I don't want it! I will get mine somewhere else if I need it.

Welcome to our weekly thread on bringing water and soda on board

I am more on the Carnival boards, and know the answer on the Carnival cruises. I will admit, I didn't take as long as I could have to look through this board to find the answer.

Sorry!

I thank you for the answers, as Carnival has cut down on how much you can bring on, and not in your checked luggage, etc. So I wasn't sure what NCL's stance was.

It's not so much the 500% markup on the soda, it's having a Diet Coke in a single serving bottle in my cabin in the morning that I can put the top back on and keep fresh for a little while longer. I'll be lugging a half of an 8 pack.

I also like to bring a specific water bottle that I have a sports top for that I mix my flavored packets into. I'll be lugging a liter of that.

If it's the cost, then you can't afford to go cruising.

Wow. Really? I’m pretty sure I know whether or not I can afford to go cruising. But I’ll take that into consideration.

For me, I tried drinking the water, but it doesn't taste like the water I am used to drinking, so since it's my vacation, I'd like to be as comfortable as possible and having my bottled water makes me comfortable... so that's what I do.

Have you ever tried a double blind taste test to see if you are imagining that you can taste the difference or you really can?

DON

Have you ever tried a double blind taste test to see if you are imagining that you can taste the difference or you really can?

DON

No, I haven't, but it's really not an issue for us. We have brought a case with us for the week in our rolling bag the past two cruises and its worked out really well. I drink a lot of water throughout the day, so having a bottle handy is convenient. We also take one or two and some snacks when we go into port. It winds up being more convenient for us. I can see this being an issue for someone that would need to fly to get to the cruise, but we don't.

I don't drink soda but I may bring some seltzer as a PP mentioned.

Wow! Was that snotty! :mad:

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would care about someone else choosing to bring soda and water onboard.;)

Archived