1/2 day in Denali-bus tour or on our own?

cruzrmomma

Train from Seward to Princess Lodge-so we have the evening. Then the next morning (until 2:00 p.m.) then off the Mt. McKinely. They have us scheduled for the bus tour-should we cancel this and hang around the are of the hotel? Are there things to do there? 5 hours on a bus after a 9 hour train ride does not sound too exciting. (I think there are 3 stops) Has anyone done this and wish you had stayed back at the lodge? Or are we in the middle of nowhere? thanks! (we also get $99 back if we cancel the bus tour)

We are on a bus from Fairbanks to Denali and had the same thoughts that you are having. We have a 3+ hour bus ride and then we are supposed to get on another bus to go 6+ hours into Denali. We ended up cancelling our Natural History Bus Tour and are going to spend time at the hotel. Free shuttle to the park entrance and then wing it from there and see if we just want to hike around a bit or try something else. Thinking about having a nice dinner in their King Salmon Restaurant, supposed to be really good. The next am we have a 8 hour train ride to Whittier. Lots of riding. Good luck on your choice, I am hoping that we get to see McKinley from some part of our train ride.

We are on the same schedule from Fairbanks to Denali and then back to the ship in Whittier. Lots of travel time. We decided to skip the bus tour and take the covered wagon dinner excursion instead. I'm sure it's probably hokey but it appeals to me.

Karen

If the "bus tour" you're talking about is the Natural History Tour, yes, I personally would cancel that. Then re-book yourself on the shuttle bus into the park.

I guess this is the case of "different strokes for different folks," but I just cannot imagine staying at the hotel and not going into Denali National Park after you've come all that way!!! Isn't the whole point of having Denali National Park on your itinerary to get INTO it and experience it? I hope you will reconsider - having that gem right there within your grasp, but not taking advantage of it would be a shame.

Planning to hang around the hotel doesn't sound like much of trip. Perhaps you should cancel the cruisetour if it doesn't meet your needs; just fly home after the cruise. Or spend an extra day in Anchorage .. if the weather is clear you can see McKinley from Anchorage. No need to go to go all the way to Denali to see the mountain.

If cancelling isn't an option, definitely cancel the bus tour and get the $99 refund. If you feel like a bus ride into the park the next morning, there is a free courtesy bus to Mile 15 at Savage River. It's 2 hrs roundtrip. (The tour you're cancelling goes to Mile 17 so definitely take the refund.) Sometimes you see moose and caribou in this short stretch of road.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/courtesy-shuttle-buses.htm

Or you could watch the free sled dog demo at 10am, 2pm or 4pm. The kennel is 3 miles into the park so you would need to take a courtesy bus there. The schedule for that bus is in the link above. Or if you like to walk there are trails out to the kennel.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/sled-dog-demonstrations.htm

We are just home from 7 day cruise/7 day land tour and was in Denali last Saturday. IMO - do NOT miss a chance to go into Denali! I would fully agree with MAPLELEAVES recommendations.

. . . Or spend an extra day in Anchorage .. if the weather is clear you can see McKinley from Anchorage. No need to go to go all the way to Denali to see the mountain.
Is this quite rare? The guide on the trolley excursion around Anchorage was very excited that they had seen the mountain the previous day, but he sounded like it wasn't that common.

Is this quite rare? The guide on the trolley excursion around Anchorage was very excited that they had seen the mountain the previous day, but he sounded like it wasn't that common.

Even if you can see the mountain from Anchorage and it is not very common to see at at all from anywhere, you are about 176 miles as the crow flies from Anchorage to McKinley. This will make the mountain quite small and also put a lot of haze inducing atmosphere between you the the mountain.

A really lousy idea in my opinion but different strokes for different folks.

I will agree the post that stated that going all the way to Denali and spending your time lounging around the hotel makes even less or no sense at all.

DON

The mountain is visible less than 1/3 of the time, even less from Anchorage due to the distance. Sounds like the trolley guide was doing his job by trying to solicit some excitement in seeing the mountain. About 2 hours from Anchorage, some of the best views from a distance and without going into the park are from the south side near Talkeenta.

Train from Seward to Princess Lodge-so we have the evening. Then the next morning (until 2:00 p.m.) then off the Mt. McKinely. They have us scheduled for the bus tour-should we cancel this and hang around the are of the hotel? Are there things to do there? 5 hours on a bus after a 9 hour train ride does not sound too exciting. (I think there are 3 stops) Has anyone done this and wish you had stayed back at the lodge? Or are we in the middle of nowhere? thanks! (we also get $99 back if we cancel the bus tour)

If you have never seen the interior of Denali IMHO it would be a mistake to skip it because you were on the train all day the day before. Denali to me is the true picture of Alaska. That being said, yes there are other things to do at the Denali Princess. I have taken the 8 hour tundra wilderness tour 4 times and would go again given the chance. With the Natural History tour which is the shorter one, you get off the bus several times to walk around.

I often wonder what some people like about "hotels". Some, very much like relaxing and enjoy the location.

But, in my opinion, Alaska is completely different. With cruisetours, the ONLY highlight is getting into Denali Park. So much is missed if you don't. Running hours and miles up and down the Alaska highways and rails is transit. And Certainly a fraction of the potential.

Alaska is costly and infrequent for many. I just don't understand the choice to accept such limits when you are right there? Getting into Denali Park is the scenery and is the wildlife jackpot. My comment comparism is, would you go to Disneyland and just sit in the parking lot? That is what you will be doing. Hours and hours in transit? The Denali/Whittier train is 10 hours- the last 2 are the scenic highlights.

Figure out if this is what you thought you were getting and what your plans brought you to.

By all means- save your money. Princess refunds the NHT. If you ARE only interested in this distance, get the FREE Savage River bus. But think is through carefully.

You don't have the right locations. IF you are on a Princess ship and Princess cruisetour, you are going from Whittier, not Seward.

If you are on a cruiseship into Seward, you are not taking any "train" Seward to Princess Lodge (any of them) in a single day.

Yes you are in the middle of "nowhere", if you are referring to Denali Park or the McKinley Princess Lodge?

Numerous people will tell you to skip the tour but I disagree. If you are an outdoorsman then it may not be enough for you but for us it was perfect. We did exactly the same thing last summer. On the same schedule. In the park we saw moose, caribou, lynx, and bears.

It is probably not the same as going deeper into the park, but in our opinion it was perfect, and it fits your schedule.

Numerous people will tell you to skip the tour but I disagree. If you are an outdoorsman then it may not be enough for you but for us it was perfect. We did exactly the same thing last summer. On the same schedule. In the park we saw moose, caribou, lynx, and bears.

It is probably not the same as going deeper into the park, but in our opinion it was perfect, and it fits your schedule.

If you saw this list on the Natural History tour, it was an extremely rare, limited time event. This is not the usual sightings. I would not make this a recommendation claiming anyone else is also going to experience this. And as I mentioned, going on the Savage River Shuttle bus is free, so certainly another reason to consider getting this costly tour refunded.

Planning to hang around the hotel doesn't sound like much of trip. Perhaps you should cancel the cruisetour if it doesn't meet your needs; just fly home after the cruise. Or spend an extra day in Anchorage .. if the weather is clear you can see McKinley from Anchorage. No need to go to go all the way to Denali to see the mountain.

If cancelling isn't an option, definitely cancel the bus tour and get the $99 refund. If you feel like a bus ride into the park the next morning, there is a free courtesy bus to Mile 15 at Savage River. It's 2 hrs roundtrip. (The tour you're cancelling goes to Mile 17 so definitely take the refund.) Sometimes you see moose and caribou in this short stretch of road.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/courtesy-shuttle-buses.htm

Or you could watch the free sled dog demo at 10am, 2pm or 4pm. The kennel is 3 miles into the park so you would need to take a courtesy bus there. The schedule for that bus is in the link above. Or if you like to walk there are trails out to the kennel.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/sled-dog-demonstrations.htm

Thanks Mapleleaves for the info regarding the free shuttle, sled dog demo and especially the link to Denali. We are going to be spending two full days doing some great tours/rent a car in Fairbanks so the options that you have given us for our short time at Denali is a great help. Two hours round trip sounds much better than 6+ hours on a bus.

Thanks Mapleleaves for the info regarding the free shuttle, sled dog demo and especially the link to Denali. We are going to be spending two full days doing some great tours/rent a car in Fairbanks so the options that you have given us for our short time at Denali is a great help. Two hours round trip sounds much better than 6+ hours on a bus.

Glad it helped ! The Park Newspaper, Alpenglow, is another good resource. http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/newspaper.htm

To me, 2 hrs is way too short! I absolutely LOVE taking the shuttle into the park; it's a highlight for every visit to Alaska. I had to cancel my trip this summer but my plan was to ride the shuttle for 3 days in a row. Can't get enough of that scenery and wildlife! I reserve a seat to Wonder Lake at Mile 85, so a 2 hr trip to Mile 14 almost seems walkable! :>)

If you have time, maybe take the courtesy bus to Mile 14 and go for a short hike on the Savage River Trail and catch the next bus back. I think it leaves hourly. Sometimes you spot caribou from the trail. Have a great trip!

Archived