Flight connections in LAX

dstables

We are sailing on the Ocean Princess in February 2013. We are booked on Air Tahiti departing out of LAX at 11:30 p.m. I am looking to book our flight to LAX and I am considering one that arrives into LAX at 21:15. Will this be enough time to make the 11:30 p.m. flight to Tahiti or is it cutting it too close. Its been over 20 years since I have traveled through LAX so any experience travelers opinions would be much appreciated.

In my opinion, it is too close. You are assuming your flight will actually get to LAX on time.

Will your flight to LAX have your luggage be transfered to Air Tahiti Nui, or will you have to claim it, bring it to another terminal yourself, go through check in. lunggage security and then personal security?

Either option could require three hours to get through all the steps.

If you are arriving and departing from the same terminal, you should be OK. If you are arriving at one terminal and leaving from another, I'd allow more time. Another factor is whether your luggage will be checked through.

As others have said, it depends on whether you have to change terminals. However, in addition if Air Tahiti goes through the international terminal, you may have difficulty. The terminal is under major reconstruction and I've been hearing of many delays.

If your home airport is a domestic flight (within the US), once in LA, you will be leaving from international terminal. So leave time to get off your flight, and get to the international terminal. You should leave three hours

between flights.

If I recall, the international terminal is not connected to the domestic terminals and therefore you will have to go through security again and that can slow you down as well. You should check the terminal maps.

LAX to Tahiti is not like LAX to JFK or ORD. Those flights are not easily replaceable if you should misconnect.

You also didn't mention where you're coming from -- if it's northern California, I'd be less concerned than if coming from the east coast. Especially anywhere weather is likely to be an issue in February. If it were me, I'd make sure I had a LOT of extra time -- at least three hours. Maybe this is the time when you spend some money to get a day pass in a club at the airport so you can pass the time in comfort -- but I'd absolutely make sure I had plenty of time. Assume your originating flight will be at least two hours late.

Thanks everyone for the excellent advise. I was thinking that it was not enough time between the flights as well.:eek: Was hoping it would work as this is the latest direct flight from Calgary to LAX. The next earlier flight arrives in LAX at 13:30. So I need to decide if I want to spend most of the afternoon and evening in LAX if we take the direct flight that arrives at 13:30 or do we take a flight that stopovers in Vancouver but would arrive at least 3 hours before the flight to Tahiti. Any suggestions on what we can do if we are sitting at LAX for most of the day?

Does your flight from Calgary come into the International building? If so, you may not be allowed to leave the area because you may not have gone through customs. ...or maybe you will have to go through customs despite only transferring planes. That's a good question to ask others or the airline on which you arrive and ask if you have to go through US customs if switching to an international flight. If you don't go through customs and you don't change terminals, you may just be contained in the area and not allowed to leave.

If you DO have to go through customs and therefore can leave the terminal, then you could take one of the hotel shuttles and have a nice meal at one of their restaurants...or if you arrive early enough in the day, pay for a day room to use ... or buy a day pass at the airline club room. At least you'd be more comfortable.

Air Tahiti is listed as being in the international building and Air Canada (if that's what you're taking) is in Terminal 2 (very crowded terminal). If you are on Air Canada, you'll probably have to go through customs and change terminals... which I believe means you have to go out to the road and catch the free shuttle or walk. LAX is particularly bad for changing terminals. It really needs a people mover or monorail.

Just found this set of instructions: http://www.wikihow.com/Switch-Flights-in-LAX

You've made the right decision. Every transpacific flight I've ever been on has been delayed, sometimes several hours, due to weather and/or congestion. I have missed too many flights from LAX to home, and at the worst possible time, when I'm already tired from 6-15 hours of flying.

Does your flight from Calgary come into the International building? If so, you may not be allowed to leave the area because you may not have gone through customs. ...or maybe you will have to go through customs despite only transferring planes.

There hasn't been any sterile transit in the U.S. (for the most part) for the past 11 years so that isn't an (beneficial) issue. One will have to clear U.S. entry even if transferring or transiting international (such as Air France's CDG-LAX-PPT flight).

The only good thing about late departures is that there usually aren't a lot of people a the airport.

FWIW, flights from YYC and YVR pre-clear in Canada so none of the entry hassles at LAX.

Archived