Laptop Use... Do I need to stop Cruising???

I enjoy taking three or four short cruises per year. I usually take 3,4 or 5 nights work schedule permiting>

Here is my huge problem. I now have a job that requires me to have access to the internert through my laptop in order not to miss a deal.

Can I use my laptop for work purposes on a cruise or am I fooling myself?

I am concerned about speed and connectivity.

Need some good news! I do not want to be landlocked at resorts that offer wifi

Speed can be a problem....and sometimes, so can connectivity. Plus...it costs a fortune!

If you could use free wi-fi in ports, that may be your solution. Ask any crew member...they know where the hot-spots are!

I recently had a manager in my office in a similar situation. If you must monitor something constantly, I wouldn't rely on the ships connection. However, if someone back in the office can watch something for you and call you when your attention is required, you can probably pull it off. The cell phone options are much cheaper than the internet options. Just make sure you ahve everything set up ahead of time with your cell phone carrier.

I do not need to be on continuosly however I need access to email and most importantly a loan processing system that is on my laptop where I take loan applications and qualify borrowers when they call

Can't you check your email through your smart phone? But that loan processing system no doubt needs you to log on from your laptop, where it's loaded. Maybe there is a setting which can send alerts to your email, which you should be able to access on a smart phone. You would probably just get frustrated waiting for a slow connection on the ship...and it would cost a fortune because it would take so long! Silly question, but can anybody take over while you go on vacation?

I do not need to be on continuosly however I need access to email and most importantly a loan processing system that is on my laptop where I take loan applications and qualify borrowers when they call

Sounds like you want to bring the office onto the ship. Taking phone calls, using a computer etc at 2.49 a minute for the phone call, and around .75 for the super slow data......doesn't sound very doable or cost effective.

I think your cruising days may be over. Even if you can put up with the slow speed, and spotty service, RCI only allows traffic on specific ports. You may not even be able to log in to your system to process your data. If you need much more than web and email it will be tough. You might consider taking a short cruise and trying it out, but, let management know that you might be out of touch during the entire time.

I was recently on Voyager and had 90 free minutes on my lap top I could hardly connect and left most of them on when I left the ship. I could not get a signal in my stateroom but I received a super signal from the Carnival ship next to us in Nassau.

I know this isn't what you asked but your employer is very short sighted not having a backup for you? There are plenty of scenarios besides vacation where you might be out of the office. Also, how does this even classify as vacation if you're required to do specific functions?

So you need to speak with the applicant over the mobile phone connection and maintain connectivity via the laptop while the ship is on the move (or docked/anchored) ...

There is no backup or redundancy/contingency in case those satellite signals are dropped (think DirecTV - when there's rain, wind, t-storm & snow, etc.)

What is your primary mobile carrier and do you normally have a secondary backup? Not that it really matter that much cruising as everything is relayed by MTN over the satellite links with claims of redundancy on their bands ... It is said to be only at 2G speed/Edge/GPRS in terms of data, so critical data could be at risk.

For example, Verizonwireless has a number of global plan/options that covered roaming on ships, or at least at discounted rate for global data vs. regular/retail rates - and, there are some options for tethering to a laptop and/or using MiFi, but speed and reliability are in question here.

I supposed if your company/employer is going to fully reimbursed your expenses 100% while cruising or you can do a itemized deduction as business expenses per IRS rules & regs. = it's worth giving it a try to be on call 24/7 ...

I have an unlimited International data plan on my At&t phone (which includes cruise ships). I left the data turned on the whole time on my last 2 cruises (Mariner and Oasis). What I found was the data connections were so bad that my email would only download in the wee hours of the morning. I tried tethering to my laptop a few times, to no avail. So it's not even the cost that's the issue, it's the fact that the data just doesn't work on the ships.

Best bet is to book a port-intensive cruise and use the connectivity in ports.

Sea days are terrible with all those"D!!" Ipads and everyone downloading and reading news papers. I eventually gave up and waited for the ship to empty on port days to work.

I know this isn't what you asked but your employer is very short sighted not having a backup for you? There are plenty of scenarios besides vacation where you might be out of the office. Also, how does this even classify as vacation if you're required to do specific functions?

This would be my question too as well as how secure can you ensure the internet transmissions to be? Since presumably you are working with secure, confidential info, I would be leary of spotty connections and possibly unsecure connections. I'd find someone to cover for you (and reciprocate for them when they go on vacation) or take land based vacation.

I make my living off the internet and we cruise 3-4 times a year for 14 days or more at a time. I have my laptop and use the wireless connections on the ship. I buy the largest package I can. I download work, perform any work I need offline and then upload it again. When in port I visit internet cafes and use their services. I usually spend 100 plus on internet charges on a cruise but what the heck, I work and earn my living while still cruising. It is a tradeoff I am willing to make.Paul

However, if you need to be on the phone, and putting information into your software for a customer. You may loose the deal anyway when you are trying to mumble through your process on an internet connection that you may loose, or it's exremely slow. That customer may be concerned with your "technogy".

Archived