Will PRINCESS change their loyalty program?

KruzPrincess

(Apologies if this has already been discussed-- haven't read whole thread yet.)

In-cabin minibar for Elites is same # of bottles/cans no matter the length of the cruise, whether on a 7, 10, 14, 21 or more days cruise. We think the minibar should be stocked per length of cruise you are on. (If 7 is standard, then 1.5x on 10 days, 2x on 14 days, etc.)

(Apologies if this has already been discussed-- haven't read whole thread yet.)

In-cabin minibar for Elites is same # of bottles/cans no matter the length of the cruise, whether on a 7, 10, 14, 21 or more days cruise. We think the minibar should be stocked per length of cruise you are on. (If 7 is standard, then 1.5x on 10 days, 2x on 14 days, etc.)

My guess is that any change would involve adding a new higher level to the Captain's Circle. There will probably be few if any enhancements to the existing levels. I can see the change you suggest be one of the benefits of a new level.

My guess is that any change would involve adding a new higher level to the Captain's Circle. There will probably be few if any enhancements to the existing levels. I can see the change you suggest be one of the benefits of a new level.

That's also my opinion- they do need a new level with the numbers of Elite passengers on some trips. Considering their ever increasing expenses there's things that could be recognized for the very upper levels that wouldn't hardly cost them a cent but would be a target to shoot for. ie.- A newspaper delivered to your room on turnover day (B2B) cruises, priority dining reservations, a real embarkation lounge or area and not something set up for 300 or 400 other people waiting to board, priority tender re-bording line, priority boarding when staggered boarding is in effect.

Number of days should definitely be the main criteria. There are folks on the west coast who take a bunch of 1 and 2 days cruises just to attain elite status after less than 25 or 30 days. I've seen a couple of posts lately where folks brag that they are taking 1 and 2 day cruises just to get to platinum and elite status. Personally I think Princessshould limit the status to days, say 125 or 150, it would be better. Just my humble opinion.

i DON'T KNOW OF A LOT OF 1 OR 2 DAY CRUISES WITH PRINCESS. CARNIVAL DOES DO 2, 3 OR 4 DAY CRUISES. I WOULDN'T MIND SMALLER CRUISES, JUST TO SEE IF I COULD HANDLE A INSIDE CABIN. RIGHT WE ONLY TAKE CRUISES WITH A BALCONY, WE COULD TAKE MORE CRUISES WITH THE COST OF INSIDE.

I can't worry about what others get. I am happy with the benefits I get and I have 22 cruises and about 400 days. It does not affect me if someone had 15 two day cruises to qualify for Elite.

I agree, everyone worries about everyone else.

We did a great deal of investigation of loyalty programs when we first started cruising, and even took test cruises on several cruise lines.

We chose Princess and pretty much stick with Princess these days because of all the benefits. If they start cutting benefits, we will start looking around, but for now, we are pretty darned loyal.

Your not the only one. My DW is Platinum and I am a lowly Gold, we had a chance to take a cruise with another company. We didn't because of the loyalty program.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusdiva viewpost.gif

Having just sailed as an Elite and been assigned to cabin C101 (we book guarantees), I have never found this to be the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorisis viewpost.gif

That is the cabin we have been assigned for our Sapphire cruise in october. When do you go?

We've also been assigned that cabin on the Star about the same period of time & the only complaint I really had was it was a long walk to get anywhere on the ship.

C101 on the Sapphire and Diamond is one of the best oceanview cabins on the ship. It is basically a balcony cabin but the balcony can only be used when in port.

C101 on the star is a regular balcony, not sold as an oceanview, and does not face forward.

alan310.

you did say elite get upgraded automatically as part of your first part of the post .

we all wish .

don,t dissappear into roll calls .

im always getting flamed by folks just part of cc matey .

your posts are good and worth reading

I have no crystal ball but I can't changing the existing program without grandfathering everyone currently enrolled....which would be a pain. But maybe yet a new level that would be tied to days rather than cruises which of course would make a lot of people happy and others not so. But where should this new level begin...150 days which would be slightly more that 10 fourteen day cruises, 300 days which would represent some 22 fourteen day cruises or....? And trying to be reasonable what benefits should this new level include....? To me the current program's benefits are quite generous and remember once beyond 20 cruises a person gets an additional OBC.

I agree, everyone worries about everyone else.

But only from a selfish perspective (i.e. if something's unfair, as long as I come out on the winning side of it, all's well). Good grief, that is our world in a nutshell these days, isn't it?

I am frequently reminded of my preschoolers when I read this board, and often want to say, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit". Because, honestly, even the 3 year olds understand that concept (most of the time).

I have no crystal ball but I can't changing the existing program without grandfathering everyone currently enrolled....which would be a pain. But maybe yet a new level that would be tied to days rather than cruises which of course would make a lot of people happy and others not so. But where should this new level begin...150 days which would be slightly more that 10 fourteen day cruises, 300 days which would represent some 22 fourteen day cruises or....? And trying to be reasonable what benefits should this new level include....? To me the current program's benefits are quite generous and remember once beyond 20 cruises a person gets an additional OBC.

What real difference would it make if they should add an additional level? It's just a mark to shoot for. How about 365 or 500 or 1,000 days? It's just a carrot that many people will never attain anyway.

What real difference would it make if they should add an additional level? It's just a mark to shoot for. How about 365 or 500 or 1,000 days? It's just a carrot that many people will never attain anyway.

I don't disagree with you, as I said I think the program is very generous in its present format and people who cruise more do get additional OBCs....I think in the main those who cruise more just what another "brag tag" to hang from their necks and when a lot of people get those they will want yet another level and on it goes.

I don't see Princess making major changes to the existing categories and perks that go with them.

Gold - basicly gets nothing and will probably continue to.

Platinum - gets the internet credit. Might they reduce it? They could, but will it save enough to offset all the upset passengers?

Elite - I can see them changing the free laundry to limit it. Carnival has just announced a limit on the number of laundry bags for their top passengers. Princess could do that or put a dollar limit on it like they do with the internet.

Most likely a new "Super Elite" would be added. Qualification at least 300 nights, maybe more. Maybe a number of cruises like the other categories, but maybe night. THey could also change the ration which is now 10 to 1 (ie 50 days or 5 cruises, 150 days or 15 cruises). Make it 7 to 1 or so. Then 300 days would equate to about 43 cruises. That would make the short cruises not worth as much.

I don't disagree with you, as I said I think the program is very generous in its present format and people who cruise more do get additional OBCs....I think in the main those who cruise more just what another "brag tag" to hang from their necks and when a lot of people get those they will want yet another level and on it goes.

That's it ! They need another color cruise card. :D

Also, don't you book the cheapest cabin in the category? As an example paying a BB balcony and receiving a BA, which is closer to the enter of the ship?

And didn't I write "based on availability"?

First, I don't book GTYs as a rule; only when the ship is sold out. I pick my cabin and category based on where I want to be on the ship, not the lowest category hoping for an upgrade because out of all my Princess cruises, I've been upgraded once. I prefer to NOT be forward or in the middle of the ship and if some computer at Princess decided to upgrade me from a BB to a BA, I'd refuse it and tell them what they could do with a mid-ship BA.

Most of my cruises are sold out weeks, months or years in advance so "availability" is a nice concept but not a reality.

That is the cabin we have been assigned for our Sapphire cruise in october. When do you go?

~Doris~

We've also been assigned that cabin on the Star about the same period of time & the only complaint I really had was it was a long walk to get anywhere on the ship.

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/47554/2710631890103243266S600x600Q85.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusdiva viewpost.gif

Having just sailed as an Elite and been assigned to cabin C101 (we book guarantees), I have never found this to be the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorisis viewpost.gif

C101 on the Sapphire and Diamond is one of the best oceanview cabins on the ship. It is basically a balcony cabin but the balcony can only be used when in port.

C101 on the star is a regular balcony, not sold as an oceanview, and does not face forward.

We were in C101 on the CB in February - the most forward balcony cabin.

BTW - we loved the location, it was perfect for our needs.

CB C101

DH and I have been loyal Princess cruisers and just booked our 4th (which will bring us up to 46 days). We are planning a 5th which will put us in the next tier (Platinum, I think?) after its completion.

We sail on Princess because we are happy there and have no reason to look elsewhere. But to say that the loyalty program is not part of the decision would be false for us. If the benefits were cut, maybe we would shop around a little more based on price and availability. I'm just sayin. ;)

First background, we are Elite and don't even consider other cruise lines, we like Princess.

My take on this issue. Princess, like all cruise lines, makes vitually nothing on the basic passenger fare-be it a Gold, Platinum or Elite passenger. They depend on the extra spending on board to make a profit.

In that sense, I would hazard that data shows that lowly "Blues' are more profitable than others. They are more likely to spend the first time on a cruise, it being a new, unique adventure, and not knowing if they will ever do it again.

How many of you experienced, now jaded, Elite cruisers spent $200 on photos on your first cruise. Now you know all the ins and outs and don't spend a dime on anything ouside of your basic interests.

If I were Princess and had a choice I wouldn't spend a dime attracting us if I knew how to grab the first timers.Captains Circle Dept. promotes us but the Accountants I'm sure can show we aren't anything special.

But there is no magic bullet as far as attracting first time cruisers so the next best thing should be to entice repeaters to book again and spend more.

Here's an idea, mini focused loyalty programs. As an example I would be a member of the "Crooners Bar Rat Pack", or some more acceptable name.

Every dollar spent on alcohol (huge margins) gets a point awarded. Benefits could be, for example,

5000 points-Drinks are made with choice of premium versus house liquors. Given Princess cost of duty free alcohol versus drink prices a virtually no cost benefit.

10,000 points-Once on a 7 day cruise (twice on a 14 day etc.) a headwaiter at dinner offers you a complimentary premium botle of wine-again a listed $100 bottle costs Princess $20.00, minimal cost.

25,000 points-Captain joins me for a drink at Crooners, or whatever.

We never use Princess excursions (huge margins), but I can see how an increasing discount of 10% to 25% as similiar loyalty points build would keep patrons booking them, and might even make a difference in choosing cruise lines.

I'm sure a well stuctured customer survey could very quickly identify what specific elements are of value to the specific users of each of the high margin money making items on cruises and allow for a specific structure for each program.

As far as the problem of complexity, with computer based data bases a trivial issue-your cruise card keeps track of every thing and informs staff of your status.

Maybe not the same as waving around a Black Card as you skip the tender boarding line, but more people are likely to wonder why the Captain came to the bar for a drink with you, something other cruise lines don't have.

We were in C101 on the CB in February - the most forward balcony cabin.

BTW - we loved the location, it was perfect for our needs.

CB C101

The difference is that C101 on the CB faces the starboard side.

C101 on the Sapphire faces the bow.

C101 on the CB is sold as a balcony cabin.

C101 on the Sapphire is sold as an oceanview cabin.

First background, we are Elite and don't even consider other cruise lines, we like Princess.

My take on this issue. Princess, like all cruise lines, makes vitually nothing on the basic passenger fare-be it a Gold, Platinum or Elite passenger. They depend on the extra spending on board to make a profit.

In that sense, I would hazard that data shows that lowly "Blues' are more profitable than others. They are more likely to spend the first time on a cruise, it being a new, unique adventure, and not knowing if they will ever do it again.

How many of you experienced, now jaded, Elite cruisers spent $200 on photos on your first cruise. Now you know all the ins and outs and don't spend a dime on anything ouside of your basic interests.

If I were Princess and had a choice I wouldn't spend a dime attracting us if I knew how to grab the first timers.Captains Circle Dept. promotes us but the Accountants I'm sure can show we aren't anything special.

But there is no magic bullet as far as attracting first time cruisers so the next best thing should be to entice repeaters to book again and spend more.

Here's an idea, mini focused loyalty programs. As an example I would be a member of the "Crooners Bar Rat Pack", or some more acceptable name.

Every dollar spent on alcohol (huge margins) gets a point awarded. Benefits could be, for example...

First, I'd cruise exclusively HAL rather than being part of a group or name associated with a bar. No, I never spent $200 on photos... ever. And yes, I do take Princess tours and will continue to do so under certain circumstances.

Speaking of HAL, their loyalty program gives you points for onboard spending although it's not for specific types as you suggest. I think it's a point for every $100 spent, and seems to work for HAL.

Maybe not the same as waving around a Black Card as you skip the tender boarding line, but more people are likely to wonder why the Captain came to the bar for a drink with you, something other cruise lines don't have.

A reward program that not only rewards the alcoholic consumption........but then has the Captain celebrating their massive consumption........is probably......not the immage Princess wants to promote......;)

We recently booked a guaranty balcony on the Caribbean Princess and were also assigned C-101. That cabin most definitely doesn't suit our taste so we switched to R-627 which is great--close to the aft elevator which makes it easy for us to get to dance classes and Zumba classes and very close to Horizon Court for getting more hot water in the morning.

Of course there will be a time when the Princess benefit program changes. Eveything changes from time to time. My philosphy is to go with the flow, enjoy what I have now and cope with the changes when they happen. I'm certainly not going to spend time worrying about what "might" happen when I could spend that same time having fun.

I suspect the only thing that will happen is limits to reduce the expense of the top abusers of each tier. Laundry has some costs involved but much less so then internet as that's requiring them to pay for satellite use. So I suspect even the more abusive persons still don't cost Princess that much for it.

We're at 54 days sailed with 4 cruises. With our current plan we'll be at 90 days sailed in 6 cruises by the end of next year. I'm not too worried as days sailed is a pretty safe marker and we have zero interest in ever doing a 1 or 2 day sailing unless it's B2B. Then again I live where it's a long plane ride to any port :cool:

The CC party is pretty much a joke, free cheap drinks but everyone whose cruised at least once before with princess gets to go and a lot of people like that. The top 40 luncheon is the real perk and color of your card makes no difference.

Also I wouldn't be at all surprised that Princess has research to show that black card holders with their 10% discount actually spend more money in the stores then regular folks. They could actually make more money by offering that discount.

Oh and the Carnival new program is up: http://www.carnival.com/loyalty/benefits.aspx

No more rumor mill worthy :) Top 2 tiers now get laundry, top tier it's unlimited. And it's 100% cruise day driven. As long as Princess doesn't change elite from 150 days for some free laundry I won't mind, and I'll get it the slow way :cool:

I just took a peak at the Carnival forums, new system is in and they DID demote people. And people are saying one reason for the new system is feedback that the parties were too crowded.

I'll bet Princess is watching how this all boils out on the carnival side. I would not be surprised if this is not the end of this trend to go back to days sailed.

I have no crystal ball but I can't [see] changing the existing program without grandfathering everyone currently enrolled....which would be a pain. ...which of course would make a lot of people happy and others not so.
Based on history this is exactly what can happen. The previous incarnation of the Captain's Circle program was based on number of cruises, and we had several long (12+ days) cruises where the Captain announced "due to the length of this cruise it will count as two toward your Captain's Circle membership." Then Princess announced the "new" program and those cruises reverted to one each, with no grandfathering. It took us a while to catch up, and just about the time we did was when they initiated the "number of cruises OR days at sea" criteria. We weren't happy campers, but were glad when we finally made Elite (love the laundry service!).

Archived