Bringing your own wine onboard

bobnjeff

One good thing coming out of all these wine discussions and folks wanting to punish even the law abiding for the transgressions of a few, I am finding out about other cruise lines' superior wine lists and equally good wine policies. That info might come in handy should some on this thread get their way.

I'm not trying to punish law abiding people. I'm trying to get the ones that only care about themsleves to wake up. Clearly I'm losing the battle. It's too bad folks are so self absorbed.

Do you also take your own food into restaurants? I bet that is also cheaper.

Maybe that person also takes a shopping cart on board. That last day they can go "shopping" for food in the lido. Much cheaper then going to the supermarket after the cruise;).

Do you also take your own food into restaurants? I bet that is also cheaper.

Not into restaurants but anywhere else that charges exorbitant prices for food. What's wrong wit than?

I'm sure some folks do. Why not just say that you don't.

We only normally take on 4 bottles of wine (per port) since we're not big wine drinkers but you should visit the Princess board sometime & hear the amounts that are typically carried on board.

A bottle of rum usually lasts us till we get to St. Thomas or some other port so we can refresh our supply. It's much cheaper than any of the ships prices on any cruise line.

Not into restaurants but anywhere else that charges exorbitant prices for food. What's wrong wit than?

We only normally take on 4 bottles of wine (per port) since we're not big wine drinkers but you should visit the Princess board sometime & hear the amounts that are typically carried on board.

A bottle of rum usually lasts us till we get to St. Thomas or some other port so we can refresh our supply. It's much cheaper than any of the ships prices on any cruise line.

Years ago....many years ago. the thought of bringing wine aboard never entered our minds or those of anyone else we knew.

I think back and remember that the wines were not only decent but were very reasonably priced.

Being a wine snob, albeit I forget a birthday now and then, I do remember on the inaugural Royal Princess cruise about 100 years ago, the ship was magnificent...marble bathrooms...probably the best shows we have ever seen at sea, and the service in the dining room was tops...only problem was that the food was virtually inedible....however, the wine list looked like I wrote it....A 2nd growth Saint Emilion for $11.00...I discovered that the manager of the wine store that I shopped in was aboard...when I told him about this wine and the others, he couldn't believe the prices. In those days the shipboard wines were priced well below the retail prices...and I saw many people with many bottles of wine on their dinner tables.

It's evident that times have changed...now the ships, except for the big, big, highly priced wines, serve a lot of plonk and charge maybe 3-4 times the retail price...scary considering they buy wholesale.

I think in the end HAL is wise to offer up the BYOB for $$ option. It is also an option more than a few local casual yet fashionable and foody friendly eateries are offering.

For HAL it is $18 pure profit per bottle...

No need to select wines at corporate, negotiate with suppliers, publish a wine list, ship the wine, load the wine, store the wine. No need to employ knowledgeable wine staff that have tasted all the wine on the list and then sell your wine to customers who may or may not be pleased with the suggestion.

All that is needed is a wine steward with a cork screw, an ice bucket, and a couple of glasses and my name on the charge slip. Seems an efficient and profitable solution for both parties involved.

Years ago....many years ago. the thought of bringing wine aboard never entered our minds or those of anyone else we knew.

I think back and remember that the wines were not only decent but were very reasonably priced.

Being a wine snob, albeit I forget a birthday now and then, I do remember on the inaugural Royal Princess cruise about 100 years ago, the ship was magnificent...marble bathrooms...probably the best shows we have ever seen at sea, and the service in the dining room was tops...only problem was that the food was virtually inedible....however, the wine list looked like I wrote it....A 2nd growth Saint Emilion for $11.00...I discovered that the manager of the wine store that I shopped in was aboard...when I told him about this wine and the others, he couldn't believe the prices. In those days the shipboard wines were priced well below the retail prices...and I saw many people with many bottles of wine on their dinner tables.

It's evident that times have changed...now the ships, except for the big, big, highly priced wines, serve a lot of plonk and charge maybe 3-4 times the retail price...scary considering they buy wholesale.

Yes I agree_ Years ago no passenger would show up to the dining room at night in sweatpants shorts or a wife beater (oh yea I left out ball cap)

People dressed up for work and the cruise,it wasn't such a dramatic decision to put a jacket on. All men owned a jacket.

As for plonk,half the people who are stopping at Publix or Total Wine are buying cheap plonk. They just don't want to pay HAL $25 a bottle when they can buy the same thing for $3.99

As for plonk,half the people who are stopping at Publix or Total Wine are buying cheap plonk. They just don't want to pay HAL $25 a bottle when they can buy the same thing for $3.99

Well, yeah... Who would pay 6 times more for crappy wine?

We never buy very high price wine, whether onboard or at the wine shop. Wine for me is just a tasty beverage. We bring a few bottles onboard for convenience. I have my white afternoon wine for out on the balcony after we get back to the ship. And then we have a red we like for after dinner. I don't want to have to go to a bar to pick up a glass of wine. I want it there in my room. If we were staying at a hotel for a couple of weeks we would do the same. That doesn't mean we don't have a drink at the pool, at dinner or if we go to a show. But as long as it's allowed, I'm going to have my choice of beverage available in my cabin.

I see no reason to pay more for something than I have to. That kind of philosophy is what has allowed me to retire in my 40's.

Well, yeah... Who would pay 6 times more for crappy wine?

We never buy very high price wine, whether onboard or at the wine shop. Wine for me is just a tasty beverage. We bring a few bottles onboard for convenience. I have my white afternoon wine for out on the balcony after we get back to the ship. And then we have a red we like for after dinner. I don't want to have to go to a bar to pick up a glass of wine. I want it there in my room. If we were staying at a hotel for a couple of weeks we would do the same. That doesn't mean we don't have a drink at the pool, at dinner or if we go to a show. But as long as it's allowed, I'm going to have my choice of beverage available in my cabin.

I see no reason to pay more for something than I have to. That kind of philosophy is what has allowed me to retire in my 40's.

Congratulations on your early retirement

+1. We're the same as you. We'll bring wine to drink in our verandah cabin (and I will be buying a higher grade of Riedel glass than is used in the Grill from Austria before the cruise to drink out of). We wouldn't bring those glasses filled outside the cabin and we'll pay corkage if we bring a bottle to dinner. If HAL instutitutes a wine ban, they're going to see less revenue from us on that cruise than otherwise, and never see any of our money again (unless there is a pre-bankruptcy fire sale :D ). We'll travel by the other Dutch transportation alternative like we currently do.

Why boter going out to places that rip you off?

Why should I care what they post on Princess boards? :rolleyes: You really go all out to find things to bolster your case for not following the rules.

I discovered that the manager of the wine store that I shopped in was aboard...when I told him about this wine and the others, he couldn't believe the prices. In those days the shipboard wines were priced well below the retail prices...and I saw many people with many bottles of wine on their dinner tables.

How do today's cruise fares compare to those back then?

+1. We're the same as you. We'll bring wine to drink in our verandah cabin (and I will be buying a higher grade of Riedel glass than is used in the Grill from Austria before the cruise to drink out of). We wouldn't bring those glasses filled outside the cabin and we'll pay corkage if we bring a bottle to dinner. If HAL instutitutes a wine ban, they're going to see less revenue from us on that cruise than otherwise, and never see any of our money again (unless there is a pre-bankruptcy fire sale :D ). We'll travel by the other Dutch transportation alternative like we currently do.

Does this mean NCL,Celebrity, Royal Caribbean.And Carnvival have missed the boat by only allowing passengers to bring a bottle or two?

Because of this policy passengers are digging their heels in and drinking milk and orange juice the entire cruise. I must get my eyes checked. I've gone with Princess and Celebrity and could have sworn I saw different.

Why boter going out to places that rip you off? [/font]

Simply because drinks are usually the high profit margin items & I can save by bringing my own. If it upsets you then don't do so- pay the going rate. I like saving when I can.

Why should I care what they post on Princess boards? :rolleyes: You really go all out to find things to bolster your case for not following the rules.

I commented about Princess because Wakepatrol had brought it up an their policy is very lenient. The 2 bottle per person is never enforced- nor is the collection of alcohol.

Princess and Celebrity let you take a bottle or two. NOT cases. Disney cruises are way more expensive. Apples To harmonicas

Does this mean NCL,Celebrity, Royal Caribbean.And Carnvival have missed the boat by only allowing passengers to bring a bottle or two?

Quite possibly. I won't sail on them. Was tempted by RCCI TATL cruises until i found out about their booze policy They might as well be yellow flagged as far as I am concerned.

Because of this policy passengers are digging their heels in and drinking milk and orange juice the entire cruise. I must get my eyes checked. I've gone with Princess and Celebrity and could have sworn I saw different.

I bought a case and a half of wine onboard Princess last month on a 5 day cruise. If Princess enforces the 2 bottle policy, I'll be gone from there too. Again, maybe only a few of us will choose a line this way but given that cruise ships have high fixed costs and low variable costs, they'll lose a lot of profit if just 1% decide not to go. If HAL tries to extract another $300 from us, they'll end up losing $2,600 n revenue.

After the MDR closes, the Wine Stewards will roam the ship in search of offenders. If you are suspected of drinking contraband wine they will delicately dip their index finger into your glass and if the wine does not taste like any carried on board it will be tossed immediately. If still unsure a second office will be paged to validate the concern by performing a series of mouth swishes and sniffs of suspected wine.

If said wine is not contraband you will be provide with a certificate good for 10% off gold by the inch for any inconvenience caused. :D

After the MDR closes, the Wine Stewards will roam the ship in search of offenders. If you are suspected of drinking contraband wine they will delicately dip their index finger into your glass and if the wine does not taste like any carried on board it will be tossed immediately. If still unsure a second office will be paged to validate the concern by performing a series of mouth swishes and sniffs of suspected wine.

If said wine is not contraband you will be provide with a certificate good for 10% off gold by the inch for any inconvenience caused. :D

Love your sense of humor!

Nice :D

Two buck chuck has a distinct smell.

I'm sorry....I didn't read the entire thread before posting this. But I was just reading CC's packing tips and the what not to bring article. They mention cruise lines and their policy of bringing alcohol on board. It doesn't mention that with HAL you can bring as much wine as you want.

Just want to be sure that this is the case before we try to take wine onto the Zuiderdam.

And for the record, we only consume the wine we brought in our cabin or on our verandah. Rarely do we take a bottle to dinner with us, but when we do, we have no problem with paying the corkage fee. I would never take wine or liquor from our cabin to any venue on the ship - just seems tacky. We find the prices on board HAL to be in line with what we would pay at a bar or restaurant at home. So, same rule applies....if you don't want to pay the money then don't order the drink.

I'm sorry....I didn't read the entire thread before posting this. But I was just reading CC's packing tips and the what not to bring article. They mention cruise lines and their policy of bringing alcohol on board. It doesn't mention that with HAL you can bring as much wine as you want.

Just want to be sure that this is the case before we try to take wine onto the Zuiderdam.

And for the record, we only consume the wine we brought in our cabin or on our verandah. Rarely do we take a bottle to dinner with us, but when we do, we have no problem with paying the corkage fee. I would never take wine or liquor from our cabin to any venue on the ship - just seems tacky. We find the prices on board HAL to be in line with what we would pay at a bar or restaurant at home. So, same rule applies....if you don't want to pay the money then don't order the drink.

This is indeed the policy - you can bring wine, water, soda, etc. on board - as much as you like - basically anything EXCEPT liquor or beer:D:D

Archived