Surrender liquids, aerosols or gels

Aussie71

Just wondering on a cruise...

Are we required to surrender any liquids, aerosols or gels greater than 100ml/g (like carry-on international air flights) and seal the 100ml/g items in a transparent, one-litre plastic bag?

Just wondering on a cruise...

Are we required to surrender any liquids, aerosols or gels greater than 100ml/g (like carry-on international air flights) and seal the 100ml/g items in a transparent, one-litre plastic bag?

No. This only applies to air travel. You only need to consider this if your pre or post cruise journey includes a flight and you are packing your carry on to cover both flight and embarkation or disembarkaion and flight. On some lines you can carry on bottles of wine and cans of soft drinks.

Colleen

Its a real hassle if you are flying overseas to join a cruise.

...if you have a favourite shampoo for example you have to pack it in your luggage and no matter how well you wrap/seal it , it is bound to leak.:D

My favourite aerosol shave cream is always confiscated and no matter how hard I try ,never seeem to be able to buy the one I want before the cruise.:D

I for one , have really gone off flying in a big big way:mad:

...if you have a favourite shampoo for example you have to pack it in your luggage and no matter how well you wrap/seal it , it is bound to leak.:D

My favourite aerosol shave cream is always confiscated and no matter how hard I try ,never seeem to be able to buy the one I want before the cruise.:D

Me too, David - that's why my cruising history is so limited. :(

on the ships all is allowed except the dreaded alyhole

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean.

Restrictions on carrying liquids on planes only applies to international flights. On flights within Australia you can carry whatever liquids you like.

As Sandie mentioned, the only restrictions on cruiseships apply to taking alcohol on board. :D

• 2 weeks later...

David

We had to surrender a bottle on Vegemite on our way to the UK!!

You would have loved the screaming toddlers we encountered on our flights to and from Heathrow - what a nightmare !!! Are there any "adults only" airlines???

Barry

You would have loved the screaming toddlers we encountered on our flights to and from Heathrow - what a nightmare !!!

Barry

I am afraid thats par for the course these days Barry....

but why is it that the noisiest one is always in front of me?

Are there any "adults only" airlines???

Now wouldnt that be nice:D

They could also have another just for infants that was one giant play pen.:D:D

Restrictions on carrying liquids on planes only applies to international flights. On flights within Australia you can carry whatever liquids you like.

As Sandie mentioned, the only restrictions on cruiseships apply to taking alcohol on board. :D

This is about to change pretty soon apparently with flights, to bring OZ up with the rest of the world!:(

At the moment we have no liquid limits on domestic flights but was told by customs at Sydney last night on our return from USA that it will change soon.

We were told inflight during our flight back from the states that anyone with connecting domestic flights would have to surrender any liquids and therefore could not buy inflight duty free? I corrected the flight staff about domestic liquids and was scolded and told I was wrong! I was right!

This all may be a ploy between airlines/airports though given my duty free vodka in LAX was less than half the price of the same in Sydney duty free and duty free smokes less than $40 per carton and as cheap as $30

I havnt been to USA for over 20 years and thought Asia was cheap but USA is mind boggeling cheap.

Australians are being ripped off big time with everything eveyday it seems and our tourist industry will suffer at "our expense",every American i spoke to who had visited Australia said they could not afford to visit again given everything was around 4 times the price of that in USA.

I brought cash back from a 4 week trip in the states I couldnt spend it all but my wages only just cover living expenses in OZ and would be in debt if I had the same length holiday here :confused:

Den

Australians are being ripped off big time with everything everyday it seems and our tourist industry will suffer at "our expense",every American i spoke to who had visited Australia said they could not afford to visit again given everything was around 4 times the price of that in USA.

I brought cash back from a 4 week trip in the states I couldn't spend it all but my wages only just cover living expenses in OZ and would be in debt if I had the same length holiday here :confused:

Den

Hi Den,

I don't think Australians are being ripped off......its just that that's the way of things.

Australians now earn "high" wages....(compared to the rest of the world) ,

and those those high wages don't come out of thin air.

I have heard many cruise passengers express alarm at the prices in Australia .

Its brought home a lot more these days with the $US and $AU being about on par.

On a recent Undercover Boss programme from the States ,

it was revealed that a fast food worker was earning $8 an hour

and the supervisor was on $10 an hour.

That's why things are cheaper in the States.

If people want to get high wages , they have to expect to pay high prices.

This is about to change pretty soon apparently with flights, to bring OZ up with the rest of the world!:(

At the moment we have no liquid limits on domestic flights but was told by customs at Sydney last night on our return from USA that it will change soon.

We were told inflight during our flight back from the states that anyone with connecting domestic flights would have to surrender any liquids and therefore could not buy inflight duty free? I corrected the flight staff about domestic liquids and was scolded and told I was wrong! I was right!

This all may be a ploy between airlines/airports though given my duty free vodka in LAX was less than half the price of the same in Sydney duty free and duty free smokes less than $40 per carton and as cheap as $30

I havnt been to USA for over 20 years and thought Asia was cheap but USA is mind boggeling cheap.

Australians are being ripped off big time with everything eveyday it seems and our tourist industry will suffer at "our expense",every American i spoke to who had visited Australia said they could not afford to visit again given everything was around 4 times the price of that in USA.

I brought cash back from a 4 week trip in the states I couldnt spend it all but my wages only just cover living expenses in OZ and would be in debt if I had the same length holiday here :confused:

Den

On our recent trip to Bali, people that bought duty free in Sydney had to surrender it when we got to Melbourne.:confused:

There were some very angry people, believe me. The young couple behind us asked weather it was ok to buy in Sydney and were told Yes by the duty free shop assistant.

Deidre.:)

On our recent trip to Bali, people that bought duty free in Sydney had to surrender it when we got to Melbourne.:confused:

There were some very angry people, believe me. The young couple behind us asked weather it was ok to buy in Sydney and were told Yes by the duty free shop assistant.

Deidre.:)

This is because you cannot take liquids through international screening.

You can pick it up past international screening only.

People who arrive in Australia on an international flight say in melb and will continue on to Syd on the same aircraft must debark at the first port (melb) for customs/immigration.If they re board the same aircraft on to syd they will loose there duty free liquids even though in transit,this works both ways!

Most of the rest of the world its worse! if you get off an international flight and connect to a domestic flight you will also loose your liquids at domestic screening.

We flew to Vegas via LAX, our checked luggage was forwarded to Vegas but we were prossesed at LAX,all those who bought duty free at syd lost it at the screening point to the Vegas flight. there are liquid limits on both domestic and international flights!

This will change to the same in Australia soon,at present we buy our duty free on the cruise out of syd then fly from syd to perth domestic,in the future if its not in our luggage we will loose it at domestic screening:(

Den

All the above are great reasons to continue cruising!

No screaming toddlers in front or behind you for hours and hours with no escape (I love kids just not on planes) if you cant be in the kid free pointy end...do noise cancelling earphones work to block screaming kid noise?

No hassles with different regulations as you pass over borders..even visa and passport issues are usually handled by the ship.

No jet lag. Take you favourite shampoo, bath products whatever.

No weight restrictions on baggage.

I agree US visitors must find our major cities expensive..which is why we should all do our best to give them tips so that they have a great time without spending a fortune...but to say we are ripped off..don't understand..that would be like trying to compare the costs in Sydney to Bali..it is all about the wages. Be happy that travel is more affordable than ever. This is the lucky country for most of us.

Sue

All the above are great reasons to continue cruising!

No screaming toddlers in front or behind you for hours and hours with no escape (I love kids just not on planes) if you cant be in the kid free pointy end...do noise cancelling earphones work to block screaming kid noise?

No hassles with different regulations as you pass over borders..even visa and passport issues are usually handled by the ship.

No jet lag. Take you favourite shampoo, bath products whatever.

No weight restrictions on baggage.

I agree US visitors must find our major cities expensive..which is why we should all do our best to give them tips so that they have a great time without spending a fortune...but to say we are ripped off..don't understand..that would be like trying to compare the costs in Sydney to Bali..it is all about the wages. Be happy that travel is more affordable than ever. This is the lucky country for most of us.

Sue

Not on my wage!

US service industry workers earn less than in Australia but other professions earn a lot more!Tax here makes things expensive and a lucky country for those who avoid it and should be paying the most!

In west Australia many people cannot afford to eat because they only make enough to pay the rent and services, similar to US but they can afford to eat out/smoke/drink /drive new cars.

My wage is close to that of the same in USA but i pay up to 4 times the amount for consumer products and its all in tax.

I would go live in USA in a Heartbeat.

Travel is no more affordable for me now than it has always been and i have been traveling at least twice a year for over 30 years. the only travel that has become cheaper is Australian domestic flights and thats only because there is no longer a monopoly.

Feed people "The Lucky Country" long enough and they start to believe its true even as they hand over 70% of their income on the other great Aussie dream of owning a house.

You should have heard the Brits comp[lain about the prices in Norway - they were nearly as loud as those who complained about the prices in Sydney :rolleyes:

I thought that Norwegian prices were about what we pay here in Oz. WE are now an expensive place compared to other parts of the world - but where do you want to live??? :)

I found southern Germany to be quite reasonable - and much cheaper than home. I bought a 500 ml glass of German Hefeweizen at the Munich airport (in the airport brewery :) ) for 2 euros 40 cents (about $3) -- try doing that at any Australian airport.

Barry

Not on my wage!

US service industry workers earn less than in Australia but other professions earn a lot more!Tax here makes things expensive and a lucky country for those who avoid it and should be paying the most!

In west Australia many people cannot afford to eat because they only make enough to pay the rent and services, similar to US but they can afford to eat out/smoke/drink /drive new cars.

My wage is close to that of the same in USA but i pay up to 4 times the amount for consumer products and its all in tax.

I would go live in USA in a Heartbeat.

Travel is no more affordable for me now than it has always been and i have been traveling at least twice a year for over 30 years. the only travel that has become cheaper is Australian domestic flights and thats only because there is no longer a monopoly.

Feed people "The Lucky Country" long enough and they start to believe its true even as they hand over 70% of their income on the other great Aussie dream of owning a house.

We still have the highest rates of home ownership in the Western world..universal health insurance, education for all our children and an economy that is not going down the toilet. And best of all a free and democratic society when we don't risk our lives for an opportunity to vote. Don't like the way the countries run, vote em out, can't afford a house in your state..move..that's also what is lucky here we have CHOICES. Our parents never had the opportunities to travel overseas that we enjoy...a new car was a once in a decade opportunity if that..they worked their whole lives to pay off the house..lucky yep I still think we are lucky..it's funny that the harder we work the luckier we get. Perfect? no of course not..but from where I've been and what I have seen..yes we are lucky but that's just my opinion.

Sue

Hi Den,

I don't think Australians are being ripped off......its just that that's the way of things.

Australians now earn "high" wages....(compared to the rest of the world) ,

and those those high wages don't come out of thin air.

I have heard many cruise passengers express alarm at the prices in Australia .

Its brought home a lot more these days with the $US and $AU being about on par.

On a recent Undercover Boss programme from the States ,

it was revealed that a fast food worker was earning $8 an hour

and the supervisor was on $10 an hour.

That's why things are cheaper in the States.

If people want to get high wages , they have to expect to pay high prices.

I think we are being ripped off for somethings but that would be too much a of political debate for this forum so I won't expand further !:eek:

We arrived home from the States yesterday after a long cruise followed by 5 weeks on land and I can say that yes you can get some good food deals in cities and some towns, but because we were in touristy places, eg NYC, DC, Vegas and around the Rockies and canyon lands, we found the food more expensive but clothing items a lot cheaper - depending which stores you went to.

But the medical - O M G - I was sick in NYC and the visit to the Dr was $166 and 10 days of antibiotics was $189.99. I later found out that the Dr had applied a $25 coupon off her bill ! In her surgery, there was an official poster stating the the minimum federal wage is $US 7.50 p/hr.

And here's another thing ... I assumed if you had a a fulltime job US bosses / companies were obliged to pay your medical - I had always heard cruisers and friends talking about staying with their company (or moving to another company because of the medical cover etc. I was talking to the concierge of the hotel we were staying at and because the company has him (and others) working less than 30 hours a week, under the labour laws they are not obliged to pay medical insurance for those workers, so many workers across the US are now on less than 30 hours per week...and bear in mind they don't have compulsory Super like us either. All things considered, I'd rather live here thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Me too, David - that's why my cruising history is so limited. :(

Kim and I head off to the US almost every year to catch up with friends on a charter cruise and if using a different shampoo and shaving cream, or gasp an electric shaver, is the worst thing that happens to me on the trip then I'll be having a great time.

The additional security screening is easy to handle. Get the laptop out befor you get to the x-ray machine and wear thongs. It's air travel not a fashon statement.;)

/QUOTE]

are you sure about that?

/QUOTE]

are you sure about that?

Positive. We often fly interstate to join a cruise and have never encountered restrictions when flying domestically within Australia.

I checked this just yesterday as the Qantas website wasn't clear on domestic vs international.

From travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au : "The restrictions on the carriage of liquids, aerosols and gels apply to international flights to and from Australia, and to passengers on the domestic leg of an international flight within Australia."

I checked this just yesterday as the Qantas website wasn't clear on domestic vs international.

From travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au : "The restrictions on the carriage of liquids, aerosols and gels apply to international flights to and from Australia, and to passengers on the domestic leg of an international flight within Australia."

I consider that what you have quoted above is very clear. It states that there are restrictions on international flights and on domestic legs of an international flight. Clearly there are not any restrictions at the moment on taking liquids or gels on domestic flights.

I consider that what you have quoted above is very clear. It states that there are restrictions on international flights and on domestic legs of an international flight. Clearly there are not any restrictions at the moment on taking liquids or gels on domestic flights.

Yes, the government (.gov.au) website I quoted clears it up nicely - the Qantas website fails to mention that the restriction doesn't apply on a standard domestic flight.

Archived