TA Rebates

I work for the largest seller of cruise vacations "north of the border" and I even know the geographic location you are in. Can't say more without getting a wrist slap from Dan. What you described as a TA is more of an order taker than an agent and sure doesn't reflect the attitude of any of the hard working agents that I know. As Keith and others have suggested, maybe it's time for a new agent, but if the "personna" you are projecting here is any indication, you may have a problem finding one.

The point to my original post still stands. Change is coming and the days of rebates may very well be numbered.

Please give me a break with the attitude...besides I know more about cruises than most TA's out there and could do donuts around them. The TA does nothing of significant value for me because I arrange my own air, hotel etc. never buy inusrance, know what category and itinerary I want to do etc. Secondly, I am not looking for another TA but thanks for your "genuine concern":rolleyes:. Thirdly, I believe you are DEAD wrong with your assumptions about rebating. There will ALWAYS be a way around rebating etc. I have only cruised Seabourn and NOT Regent so haven't had the "rabate" problem that some have encountered and receive consistently 12.5% off the top of my cruises as a discount which is the Agents commission given back in the pricing.

I knew the third highest seller of Princess Cruises and she was a one woman show out of her basement in Ohio and her motto was making $$$ on doing volume whether it was a Crystal booking or a Princess or Seabourn the same amount of time was involved and therefore she would only add $100.00 above the NET Fare. That's what made her competitive and also generated over 7 million in sales with Princess.

There will ALWAYS be a way around rebating etc.

Perhaps that's what a lot of people thought when all of the agencies were severely discounting airline tickets as well. That system quit working for the airlines, so they simply cut out the agents.

I think that a good TA does provide a service, and I fear that the cruise rebate wars may simply send cruise TAs down the same path as the big airline discounters.

Just an observation . . .

Aloha,

Mark

There will ALWAYS be a way around rebating etc.

Perhaps that's what a lot of people thought when all of the agencies were severely discounting airline tickets as well. That system quit working for the airlines, so they simply cut out the agents.

I think that a good TA does provide a service, and I fear that the cruise rebate wars may simply send cruise TAs down the same path as the big airline discounters.

Just an observation . . .

Aloha,

Mark

Remember Cruiselines DO NOT want your direct business. They would prefer to pay out a commission to a TA/Agency to handle the clients directly for them rather than deal direct otherwise, the industry would have done it by now.

Please give me a break with the attitude...besides I know more about cruises than most TA's out there and could do donuts around them. The TA does nothing of significant value for me because I arrange my own air, hotel etc. never buy inusrance, know what category and itinerary I want to do etc. Secondly, I am not looking for another TA but thanks for your "genuine concern":rolleyes:. Thirdly, I believe you are DEAD wrong with your assumptions about rebating. There will ALWAYS be a way around rebating etc. I have only cruised Seabourn and NOT Regent so haven't had the "rabate" problem that some have encountered and receive consistently 12.5% off the top of my cruises as a discount which is the Agents commission given back in the pricing.

I knew the third highest seller of Princess Cruises and she was a one woman show out of her basement in Ohio and her motto was making $$$ on doing volume whether it was a Crystal booking or a Princess or Seabourn the same amount of time was involved and therefore she would only add $100.00 above the NET Fare. That's what made her competitive and also generated over 7 million in sales with Princess.

It would be intersting to put you through the regulatory testing TAs in this province have to go through. You might find yourself eating your "donuts". I'm happy that you have something that works for you. Personally I would (and have) show you the door if you came in making the same demands. We are a business, not a charity. At a "charitable" 2% net, your $75,000 in bookings is meaningless, and probably expalins why you get no service from your agency.

As to rebating coming to an end and "There will ALWAYS be a way around rebating etc." I will only point out, as I mentioned in a prior post, a very large US agency thought they could "thumb their nose" at RCI when the no discounting policy came in. They found out the hard way they couldn't when they were cut off. IF Carnival extends this policy to Seabourn (and I have no reason to doubt they will) rebating will almost certainly end. Carnival can be even more hardnosed than RCI, and all it will take will be one complaint, or one person bragging on CC, to trigger it.

It would be intersting to put you through the regulatory testing TAs in this province have to go through. You might find yourself eating your "donuts". I'm happy that you have something that works for you. Personally I would (and have) show you the door if you came in making the same demands. We are a business, not a charity. At a "charitable" 2% net, your $75,000 in bookings is meaningless, and probably expalins why you get no service from your agency.

As to rebating coming to an end and "There will ALWAYS be a way around rebating etc." I will only point out, as I mentioned in a prior post, a very large US agency thought they could "thumb their nose" at RCI when the no discounting policy came in. They found out the hard way they couldn't when they were cut off. IF Carnival extends this policy to Seabourn (and I have no reason to doubt they will) rebating will almost certainly end. Carnival can be even more hardnosed than RCI, and all it will take will be one complaint, or one person bragging on CC, to trigger it.

I get no service or very little because I choose to have the relationship that way to begin with and I benefit from receiving the most commission possible rebated back into the pricing. Your 2% net response doesn't even deserve to be answered.

That's the beauty about Carnival...Mickey Arison knows better than to meddle into the affairs of it's various brands...that's why they are ALL autonomous. IMO I think TA's should be banned from using this site as I have seen so much misinformation given on these boards by TA's time and time again or to only steer them to their own websites and/or agency.

I get no service or very little because I choose to have the relationship that way to begin with and I benefit from receiving the most commission possible rebated back into the pricing. Your 2% net response doesn't even deserve to be answered.

That's the beauty about Carnival...Mickey Arison knows better than to meddle into the affairs of it's various brands...that's why they are ALL autonomous. IMO I think TA's should be banned from using this site as I have seen so much misinformation given on these boards by TA's time and time again or to only steer them to their own websites and/or agency.

I'm really not sure what compels you to denigrate and disparage travel agents as a group, but if it somehow justifies, or makes you feel somehow better about the way you treat yours, them have at it. No skin off my nose, and actually it's a little sad that you feel this need.

As far as agents using CC, the rules here are fairly stringent and well enforced. You will note, for instance, we are not allowed to even give our geographic location. Last time I checked, as long as TA's follow the rules of CC, we are allowed to provide information and opinions as freely as you are allowed to spout invective. You go ahead and enjoy your rebates and if Carnival does make the change at Seabourn I promise not to come back at a later date and say "I told you so".:rolleyes:

As usual Keith1010 you make a lot of sense. In a previous post a TA pointed out that unless the agency is doing significant Regent business the commission is 10% or slightly more. I would be upset if my TA were getting 17% on my cruises because I do most of the work. On everything else, however, including private shore excursions and total organization of land based add ons or even trips she is worth her weight in gold.

I, therefore, do not begrudge her not paying kickbacks-that's what they are.

I wish you would spend more time on the Regent or SS boards as I value your input. Sorry not to have been able to do Crystal next year but in our opinion the itinerary-nor price just didn't compete.:cool:

Thank you so very much for the nice comments. I always enjoy reading your posts as well.

Keith

-A good TA can save you a lot of money and can add tremendous value

these types of TA's are worth their weight in gold as they can get a lot of very good things done for you to add tremendous value to your cruise.

Keith - or certainly anyone who wants to weigh in,

I ask this innocently.

If not for rebating, how does a TA save me money? I especially wonder how this answer changes under the Carnival type terms if they become industry standard.

The perception of value is likely person dependent. How do you define it in this circumstance of cruising?

I ask this innocently.

If not for rebating, how does a TA save me money? I especially wonder how this answer changes under the Carnival type terms if they become industry standard.

The perception of value is likely person dependent. How do you define it in this circumstance of cruising?

Very good question. Some examples for me have included:

-Obtaining rates for me at pre and post cruise hotels at lower prices and with additional amenities that I could get on my own.

-Arranging for private tours at better price points and also with better amenities than I could obtain.

-Obtaining upgrades on a couple of cruises that we took our adult children on and having recommended that I go with the lower price room because they felt confident that they could get us the upgrade which they did which because that was the room I was going to book in the first place was true savings for us.

-Being my advocate with the cruise line to obtain lower cost pricing on air though the cruise line than what was first offered to us. The TA knew who to go to and didn't just accept the first answer.

-Finding me a lower price for an air fare than I could find on my own.

-Obtaining credit back for us for an items that we could not take advantage of that were included as part of a World Cruise we took. We would not have thought about asking about them in the first place.

These are just a few examples.

Again, not all TA's are created equally and like all professionals the key is to find the right one.

Keith

I'm really not sure what compels you to denigrate and disparage travel agents as a group, but if it somehow justifies, or makes you feel somehow better about the way you treat yours, them have at it. No skin off my nose, and actually it's a little sad that you feel this need.

As far as agents using CC, the rules here are fairly stringent and well enforced. You will note, for instance, we are not allowed to even give our geographic location. Last time I checked, as long as TA's follow the rules of CC, we are allowed to provide information and opinions as freely as you are allowed to spout invective. You go ahead and enjoy your rebates and if Carnival does make the change at Seabourn I promise not to come back at a later date and say "I told you so".:rolleyes:

I'll eat the ship that's how confident I am....so put away the cutlery would you.:rolleyes:

I'll eat the ship that's how confident I am....so put away the cutlery would you.:rolleyes:

Salt & pepper?? Ketchup?? Perhaps a little mustard on the side? I wonder what wine goes best with "the ship"?

Time will tell who is correct.

I ask this innocently.

A fair question. You have to keep in mind that people who post on these boards are a very tiny subset of all the people who cruise. They are also, by and large on the luxe boards, experienced cruisers. IF (and I have no information beyond conjecture) Carnival rolls the new restrictions across the entire Carnival brand, then no, it will not be a benefit to those currently getting rebates. The point of the policy change is that Carnival wants a consistent price point. In essence they want to position their product like say, a Swarovski crystal, something that cannot be sold at anything other than "approved" pricing. Whether you agree with that or not, it is Carnival's perogative to require that if they so choose.

For the 99.95% of people who don't post on CC, or who are not highly experienced cruisers, what we as agents bring to the table is not about "saving money", it's our expertise and knowledge of both the product, but also in many cases, the actual ships themselves. We probably know more about the quirks of certain ships, and the peculiarities of certain ports than any agent working directly for any cruiseline. We get this knowledge from not only cruising ourselves, but from our clients, who tell us what they experience. Plus, we are required by many of the lines to complete their product training, and in many cases, we are also required to pass fairly detailed regulatory tests. Are we perfect? Not by any means, and rare is the week I don't learn something new.

Along with the points Keith mentions, a good agent is your "lifeline" if something goes wrong, and your advocate with the suppliers if it does. While I would guess that 99% of the time nothing happens on a cruise that requires an agent's assistance, when that 1% happens, it happens all the way. And I have had it happen both personally and to my clients, so I know of what I speak. When that happens, an agent knowing who to talk to, or being able to direct a client to the proper resource, can be an enormous help, even it is just to give the client a shoulder to lean on.

Obviously, as in any industry, there are bad apples, disinterested TAs who give the rest of us a bad image. Contrary to what another poster on this thread may think, the vast majority of the people in this industry, and all of the people I work with, genuinely care about the client and work to ensure they have the best vacation possible. One thing that gets lost in this discussion is that the vast majority of TAs are not in this to get rich. In fact, the only ones who can truly make a living at this are the ones who own the agencies, or who are willing to put in 60 hours a week, 52 weeks of the year. I fall in neither of those categories. My reasons for getting into this industry 8 years ago are personal, and it got me through a difficult time. I truly enjoy what I do, I enjoy my clients and I love the ability to travel (at full guest fares I might add:D) that it offers my wife and I. Some might say that is a too altruistic or perhaps naive, outlook, but as Keith likes to say, I prefer to see all the glasses as half full all the time.

Keith: What you say about the advantages you have with your TA is impressive. I'd been under the impression that I use one of the highly regarded TA's, but there's nothing at all resembling the perks you speak of. I do, though, believe that our TA would absolutely be there to help resolve any sort of problem if one should arise.

I could be wrong, but it seems that many people posting on this thread do not sail on Regent. This would make them unfamiliar with TA's who specialize in booking Regent or how Regent deals with direct booking. So, I'm not sure anything being said is relative to Regent. Perhaps this thread should be on the general question board?

Regent customers who do not use Regent air usually are using points for their airfare and are not going to their TA for flight information. And, since pre-cruise hotels are included, they are not in search for hotels. The same can be said for excursions. We look for OBC's to use in the spa, to purchase premium wines and/or shop in the boutique.

IMO, TA discussions such as this cause problems and do not solve much. Having TA's and customers who have not sailed on Regent makes it even more useless. Roland makes some good points but are not specific to Regent. Keith has a lot of knowledge but has not sailed on Regent. So, I guess the question that has to be asked is simply....... what does any of this have to do with Regent or it's customers. We (Regent customers) had a recent thread on this topic that was much more relevant to issues that we face.

I could be wrong, but it seems that many people posting on this thread do not sail on Regent. This would make them unfamiliar with TA's who specialize in booking Regent or how Regent deals with direct booking. So, I'm not sure anything being said is relative to Regent. Perhaps this thread should be on the general question board?

Regent customers who do not use Regent air usually are using points for their airfare and are not going to their TA for flight information. And, since pre-cruise hotels are included, they are not in search for hotels. The same can be said for excursions. We look for OBC's to use in the spa, to purchase premium wines and/or shop in the boutique.

IMO, TA discussions such as this cause problems and do not solve much. Having TA's and customers who have not sailed on Regent makes it even more useless. Roland makes some good points but are not specific to Regent. Keith has a lot of knowledge but has not sailed on Regent. So, I guess the question that has to be asked is simply....... what does any of this have to do with Regent or it's customers. We (Regent customers) had a recent thread on this topic that was much more relevant to issues that we face.

Point well taken.:eek:

I will grant you that part of the discussion may not be specific to Regent, but rebating happens on Regent too (as a couple of posts, ie - Col. Wes, would seem to indicate) so the conversation is still relevant. Having said that, I don't recall seeing any CC "regulation" that said you had to have sailed on Regent to make a comment about a topic raised on the Regent board. And for the record, I have sailed on Regent in the past, so I guess I am qualified.. Of course I would have a problem with someone coming on this board (or any other) and pontificating at length about the line when they had, in fact, never sailed on it, and never intend to.

TravelCat2, my focus was on that strong TA's can save you a lot of money. That is relevant to anyone who travels regardless of cruise line but probably more people who sail on Luxury lines no matter what the line. I really see my comments or most of the comments I have read on this thread as being cruise line specific other than say the commission rate that Regent might pass along.

Keith

I will grant you that part of the discussion may not be specific to Regent, but rebating happens on Regent too (as a couple of posts, ie - Col. Wes, would seem to indicate) so the conversation is still relevant. Having said that, I don't recall seeing any CC "regulation" that said you had to have sailed on Regent to make a comment about a topic raised on the Regent board. And for the record, I have sailed on Regent in the past, so I guess I am qualified.. Of course I would have a problem with someone coming on this board (or any other) and pontificating at length about the line when they had, in fact, never sailed on it, and never intend to.

Gee, Roland...got anyone or any particular cruise line in mind ? :-)

Gee, Roland...got anyone or any particular cruise line in mind ? :-)

While I rarely post here (prior to this topic), I do still peruse this board regularly. I do believe there is only one regular poster here who fits the description.

Archived