TA Rebates

I read in another thread about TA rebates for Regent bookings, given before of after the cruise as well as OBC's. Perhaps I am naive but I didn't realize that rebates were a common practice among TA's. We booked our first Regent cruise this August and only received an OBC of about $300 which we are using for a Virtuoso excursion. If the cruise cost was 22K + and the comission is about 17% should we have received a rebate or OBC's in the 2K range?? Truth be told I contacted Regent to book the cruise as my TA was out of town (it was a time sensitive promotion) and asked them to give her credit for the booking. Were we ripped off here??

Hi Landingsduffer, our general feeling after you first find a TA who provides superior service is that for every luxury cruise booked, at the minimum you should 10% cash back based on net cruise cost. Thus in your case cited above, for $22K, we would expect a check from our TA of at least $2200 two week before sailing. For a specific example we paid $24K for 24 days on the Voyager in April, we received a check for $2700 two weeks prior to sailing and a SBC of $1300. Rebates, however, in our view should not be the driving force for selecting a TA, you need to find one, who follows a generous rebate model, and who looks out after your cruising/travel interests and keeps you informed in a timely manner.

The first thing that came to mind when I read your post is that your TA was on vacation when you needed to book. We would not work with a TA that did not have someone else in their office taking their clients while they were on vacation. There is always a way to reach our TA -- even in cases of emergency.

Secondly, I have heard about TA's who pay a high percent and ones that defaulted on the payment (as was shared by a poster this past week). Most TA's that give cash rebates give 5%. So, in terms of what you booked with Regent, you could have done better with a good TA. Some TA's give a cash rebate plus on board credits (many times supplied by the consortium they are affiliated with).

Although money is very important, we also need a TA that is familiar with the product(s) they are selling. We need to know when we are booking a suite that may have smoke wafting onto our balcony from the Pool Bar and also need to be aware of changes to our itinerary and limited time offers that are made for upgrades on our cruises.

We have spoken to many people on board (too many) whose TA is absoloutely clueless about Regent. They just want to make a booking -- get their money and pay you off. There have been cancelled ports that the passengers -- on board at the time -- did not know about because their TA did not advise them.

Hope this post isn't coming across harsh. An frustration you detect is aimed towards some of the TA's out there that should have their license pulled (assuming they have to be licensed to be in the business)

In any event -- enjoy your cruise. And while you are enjoying it, book another onboard and get a 5% discount and a lower percent deposit. Then you can find a TA with a cash rebate and you'll be all set to go:)

Wes, I wonder if you get a very good rebate (and whatever other perks) because you and Ida cruise so often. That would make sense: It's certainly what I would try to do if I had a client who brought a lot of business to me.

The TA that I use gives 5% rebate, more on selected itineraries (and now an OBC as well), which is better than when I used to book with Virtuoso, which, if I'm remembering correctly, just offered OBC's or a special excursion, i.e. never a rebate. Best of all for us was when we booked our first 2 cruises through one of those large discounters-- it was quite a significant saving. That company has since gone out of business, and of course that's one of the dangers in those sorts of companies, but for us it worked well, especially since we don't use the TA for any sort of planning. I do feel more comfortable and safer knowing that we're with a group that's well-respected-- but I wish the rebate were 10% rather than 5%. I suppose I could do some research, but I'm not very good at this sort of thing. Plus, I still suspect that those who receive the larger rebates are folks who travel more (could be wrong).

Fact, 5% is NOT what most TA's rebated for cruises.

Fact, the amount of the rebate is NOT dependent on the number of cruises a person takes or the amount of money they spend on vacations.

Fact, there are high rebate TA's who don't have the knowledge they should and don't provide the best services, and there are other TA's that that provide high rebates that are knowledgeable and provide as good if not better service than the highly touted luxury TA's.

You simply need to do a little homework and it will be worth thousands of dollars as well as good service for you in the future. I too was among those unknowledgeable people until I saw the light and the dollars a few years ago and have been very happy ever since. Wes and I have the same TA as do a number of others with more moving every day. In this case, you can have your cake and eat it too.

How do you know the net price that the 5-10% discount should befigured on? The one on the cruise site with any included extras in place or the price with the extras...coach air, hotel nigh etc excluded?

It is calculated on the total paid to the TA

I am simply amazed at the variance in amounts that people receive even when they use the same TA

If I were Regent, i would have to think about offering a rebate or other nice perks for direct bookings as they would keep the 17%

Perhaps that is why so many folks who book directly with Regent report of being upgraded, etc on this board

How do you know the net price that the 5-10% discount should befigured on? The one on the cruise site with any included extras in place or the price with the extras...coach air, hotel nigh etc excluded?

Carolyn, it should be on the price you pay less taxes which may or may not be separately shown on your invoice. Should you get a credit for air, hotel nite, etc. you will pay less, the commission will be less and your credit will be on the lesser amount. As far as I know, only the taxes, port taxes and the like don't get commissions or rebates. This makes sense as the cruise line only passes the taxes thru to the taxing agency, makes no money on that and shouldn't pay commissions nor should you get rebates on that amount of money. Know for my next cruise, taxes are shown separately and didn't get a rebate on that but, found my last Regent invoice and taxes aren't broken out so perhaps you get the rebate on the full price paid after, of course taking any discounts.

I am simply amazed at the variance in amounts that people receive even when they use the same TA

If I were Regent, i would have to think about offering a rebate or other nice perks for direct bookings as they would keep the 17%......./quote]

Carolyn, it should be on the price you pay less taxes which may or may not be separately shown on your invoice. Should you get a credit for air, hotel nite, etc. you will pay less, the commission will be less and your credit will be on the lesser amount. As far as I know, only the taxes, port taxes and the like don't get commissions or rebates.....

tallship, I must be dense! But...do the agents always give money back (as the discount) after the final payment or can they just reduce the price quote to me?

David, I understand your point. But if Regent direct quotes $10,000 for the cruise and cetain extras, an another agency quotes 10,000 for the same cruise with the same extras and $100OBC and yet another quotes $8500 for the same cruise with the same extras plus $75OBC, can I assume that the last agent is giving the me a portion of their 17% commission in their reduced pricing pricing?

If I were Regent, i would have to think about offering a rebate or other nice perks for direct bookings as they would keep the 17%......./quote]

tallship, I must be dense! But...do the agents always give money back (as the discount) after the final payment or can they just reduce the price quote to me?

David, I understand your point. But if Regent direct quotes $10,000 for the cruise and cetain extras, an another agency quotes 10,000 for the same cruise with the same extras and $100OBC and yet another quotes $8500 for the same cruise with the same extras plus $75OBC, can I assume that the last agent is giving the me a portion of their 17% commission in their reduced pricing pricing?

Carolyn, as far as I know Regent will not allow anyone to discount their cruises. You will have to pay Regent the full amount at final payment. Then you get the discount back prior to your departure so yes, #3 is taking from their commission and paying you $1500 just before your cruise after you pay Regent $10,000 as final payment. You will see no discount on the Regent Invoice; the discount should show on the TA Invoice.

Carolyn, as far as I know Regent will not allow anyone to discount their cruises. You will have to pay Regent the full amount at final payment. Then you get the discount back prior to your departure so yes, #3 is taking from their commission and paying you $1500 just before your cruise after you pay Regent $10,000 as final payment. You will see no discount on the Regent Invoice; the discount should show on the TA Invoice.

Thanks David, I understand, I think.:) These threads have promted me to check with some different agents, just to be sure we are getting a really good deal. I like the agent we have been using for several years, but she seems to be out of the office more and more. There is always some one covering her, but I liked it better when I could always reach her.

This has been an interesting back and forth. Sorry it had to start with Blue Whale's bad experience. Hope they enjoyed the Full SA trip, that is really a wonderful cruise.

In the UK, if any agent isn't willing to offer clients a discount, then they won't have many clients. If the cruise fare is say £5000, the TA's commission will be about £850, so I'd hope they would share that with me.

In the UK, if any agent isn't willing to offer clients a discount, then they won't have many clients. If the cruise fare is say £5000, the TA's commission will be about £850, so I'd hope they would share that with me.

My TA (in the UK) has commission of 15%. I know this because the TA sent me the agency invoice in error!

Hi Folks,

A friendly reminder... Solicitation for TA recommendations on the boards or by Email is strictly forbidden. If this continues, I will have to close this thread as well.

Thank you.

Host Dan

Dan, I'm hoping that nobody here is soliciting or even suggesting. But talking about the difference between agents, in abstract, is helping us all I think. I myself am not shopping around for an agent, I'm happy where I am, but competition is not necessarily a bad thing.

Just my two cents.

I have to say that this thread has been very educational to me as I don't really have a TA and had no idea that when I were to go looking for one that there might be anything at all like these rebates mentioned. I am very thankful that I have found out about this. Just like previously I had no idea that some TAs offered incentives for booking with the mass lines, I had always gone directly through the cruiselines and then found out about the world of OBC and other misc incentives... thankfully I found out while I still had time to transfer from RCI to a TA the last time. :)

Cruise Critic has taught me a lot... including that there are other choices out there that are probably a better fit than just the mass marketed lines.

Dan, I'm hoping that nobody here is soliciting or even suggesting. But talking about the difference between agents, in abstract, is helping us all I think. I myself am not shopping around for an agent, I'm happy where I am, but competition is not necessarily a bad thing.

Just my two cents.

Wendy, I think a few posts have been removed, possibly for being a bit near to the mark. I knew we couldn't recommend TA's but didn't know we couldn't ask for each other's email addresses.

From our Community Guidelines:

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts may result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Host Dan

I have to say that this thread has been very educational to me as I don't really have a TA and had no idea that when I were to go looking for one that there might be anything at all like these rebates mentioned. I am very thankful that I have found out about this. Just like previously I had no idea that some TAs offered incentives for booking with the mass lines, I had always gone directly through the cruiselines and then found out about the world of OBC and other misc incentives... thankfully I found out while I still had time to transfer from RCI to a TA the last time. :)

Cruise Critic has taught me a lot... including that there are other choices out there that are probably a better fit than just the mass marketed lines.

Ditto! I never much bothered with on board credit on the larger lines because of the relatively small amounts. Chatting with other passengers on our first Regent cruise really opened our eyes to what incentives were being offered by other agents. Now we are booked on Silversea and Crystal and are thrilled with what we have been offered. But, based on what I am reading it sounds like it is worth continuing to explore all options.

As a follow-up to my initial post, does anyone know if rebates are available for river cruises? I assume that OBC's aren't available as there is not much to purchase on these type of ships.

Yes, there are TA's that provide rebates to all types of cruises/tours. Just have to find the right one and ask.

Remember, no harm in asking and some may while others may not and different cruiselines/tour companies have different policies. You may or may not get rebates, just ask.

Shopping agents for cash rebates on their commission seems to me to be a bit like negotiating with a used car salesman. Just something that I would rather not do. I am busy enough running our business and negotiating with vendors all of the time, so I'd rather not deal with this while planning a holiday.

I think that Regent should consider just dropping prices by 7-10% and, in turn, dropping commissions to agents to between 7-10%. This would allow us to pick an agent based on their knowledge of the product and quality of their their service, rather than their desire to undercut the market and send cash rebates. Perhaps Regent could still allow for some OBC deals to sweeten the pot?

My two cents.

Aloha,

Mark

I don't think cutting Travel Agents out is the way to go. It seems that this was done (unsuccessfully) by some cruise lines that may no longer be in business.

In no way did I advocate eliminating TAs; they provide a valuable service. It just seems that the cash rebate system could be re-thought.

Aloha, Mark

Archived