Can a Solo traveller add another person after booking?

cruisingxpert

I'm thinking of doing a solo cruise for the first time. If my sister decided that she wanted to come as well after I've booked the cruise, will the cruise line let me add her to the booking without a penalty? I have to pay double anyway. Appreciate anyone with experience doing this to give me some tips.

CJ

It will be treated as a cancellation and a rebooking, so only if you do this prior to the final payment date there will be no penalty.

Are you sure about that? That sounds a bit odd to me. I think the OP should phone the cruiseline because it seems to me people on here have done it before. The OP has already paid double, now they are bringing a person that could bring extra revenue on the ship.

Are you sure about that?
99% sure. Adding, subtracting, or replacing cabin occupants means a cancellation and rebooking. The fare basis changes when adding or subtracting even if the total amount stays the same. If you are in the penalty period (after final payment) then penalties apply.

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1645524 for a similar case.

Adding someone later should not be a problem. I don't know, however, if your sister would pay the same price, should the cost go up. She may have to pay the higher per person rate. Could you add her now, and remove her the day prior to final payment, should she decide not to go?

I was booked solo, at double fare, for a cruise with friends later this year. The mother of one friend decided to join us (yippee!), and is bunking in with me. We just contacted the TA and added her to the booking.

We share the same booking number. Since there was no price change, she has the same rate I did. I just pay less! (again: Yippee!)

99% sure. Adding, subtracting, or replacing cabin occupants means a cancellation and rebooking. The fare basis changes when adding or subtracting even if the total amount stays the same. If you are in the penalty period (after final payment) then penalties apply.

See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1645524 for a similar case.

I agree. BEFORE final payment, changes can be made, but AFTER final payment ANY CHANGES you must cancel and rebook, sometimes at a much higher rate, and always incurring penalties.

And another problem can be if the ship is at capacity, even if you have the extra bed, they may not allow the second person to be booked.

I was booked solo, at double fare, for a cruise with friends later this year. The mother of one friend decided to join us (yippee!), and is bunking in with me. We just contacted the TA and added her to the booking.

We share the same booking number. Since there was no price change, she has the same rate I did. I just pay less! (again: Yippee!)

That's a double yippee Ruth! :)

To be honest it has been 10 years and policies may have changed, but on an early cruise I added a roommate to a solo booking without a problem. There was a difference in price, since the cruise was booked as a single with, I believe, the 150% price. The difference was paid about 3 weeks before sailing without any penalties. In fact, I had insurance and the roommate didn't .

Rich

Hard to believe for us avid cruisers but I offered to take my sister for free as I was paying double anyway and she's not sure she feels like going on a cruise. Before you can ask, we are close and get along well. Cruising just seems to be a "yawn" for her, while I can't wait til I'm on a ship again.

You folks are amazing with your advice and help on this Board. Thank you.

CJ

Hard to believe for us avid cruisers but I offered to take my sister for free as I was paying double anyway and she's not sure she feels like going on a cruise.

Free? Want another sister??? :D

The only time (prior to final payment) where this could be a problem is when the ship is pretty full. Some book 3-4 in a cabin and the lifeboats have a set capacity. Once that capacity is reached passengers can't be added to cabins.

I had booked an Alaska cruise as a solo about a month prior to the cruise date then decided to have my DD come with me as long as I was already "paying for two". No penalty, no cancellation, just added her to the booking and we were off on a great adventure. This was on HAL.

I asked my PCC when I went to Alaska in May, he told me the only charge would be for taxes and transportation, since I already have paid double occupancy already, it would be under the same booking number. And I also added a travel partner last year but before my final payment.

Curious ... if there is a price change between the time a solo booked and then later added another passenger to the booking and cabin, would the entire booking for both passengers then be refared to the new price?

Curious ... if there is a price change between the time a solo booked and then later added another passenger to the booking and cabin, would the entire booking for both passengers then be refared to the new price?

I would like to know the answer to that one too.

CJ

I have added a roommate twice at the last minute (10 - 14 days out from sailing) when I had originally booked solo. I paid a $50 change fee and the additional 40%, as I had booked solo at 160% of the per-person rate for double occupancy.

OTOH, I had booked both DH and myself on a Norwegian Fjords cruise once, and he decided maybe 6 - 8 weeks out he didn't want to go after all. That was very expensive, even with insurance.

I agree. BEFORE final payment, changes can be made, but AFTER final payment ANY CHANGES you must cancel and rebook, sometimes at a much higher rate, and always incurring penalties.

And another problem can be if the ship is at capacity, even if you have the extra bed, they may not allow the second person to be booked.

Not always penalties.... We had a Caribbean B2B booked, then after final payment the price for that B2B plus an extension of a third cruise was just $300 more and we asked if we could do that - extend our B2B into a B2B2B for just $300pp more! Yes, no penalites, new booking number. It was a flash sale so we had to go with the guarantee deal the lowest catergory for our room type but it worked out better than I could have imagined.

Moral of the story is that it doesn't hurt to ask! Best of Luck to OP and her sister. m--

Archived