Specialty Dining... can you pre-book?

Tom-n-Cheryl

Just booked our first Princess cruise (Caribbean Princess over Thanksgiving) and I was wondering if you can book specialty dining prior to sailing. We'll be in a suite so we might opt for a couple of dinners on our balcony. The rest of the nights we'll split between the Crown Grill and Sabatini's.

On Carnival and Celebrity one can book specialty dining many months before sailing. On NCL they allow this as well, but only on the Epic and then only within 45 days prior to your sail date.

Can anyone recommend the "Ultimate Balcony Dining"?

I enjoy a good prime rib though I have yet to run across one on either Celebrity or NCL. Interestingly enough Carnival does it right -- two nights in the MDR on seven night sailings. So, is it offered in the MDR on seven night sailings on Princess (more than once)... and is it GOOD? That would be an ideal balcony dining night!

THANKS!

Tom

EDIT::: Is there an option one night for a Chef's Table???

Just booked our first Princess cruise (Caribbean Princess over Thanksgiving) and I was wondering if you can book specialty dining prior to sailing.

Only once you are onboard.

You can either stop by the restaurant or call the DINE line as marked on your cabin telephone.

As far as the chef's table you can request that as soon as you board. Usually they offer one, for 12 people, $95pp.

You may want to do a thread search on Specialty and one on Chef, there have been several threads recently that may be helpful.

As far as the chef's table you can request that as soon as you board. Usually they offer one, for 12 people, $95pp.

You may want to do a thread search on Specialty and one on Chef, there have been several threads recently that may be helpful.

Yes, I see that now --- many specialty threads! Often I do search first, but with several questions in my post - I thought I would bundle it together!

Thanks,

Tom

Can anyone recommend the "Ultimate Balcony Dining"?

I enjoy a good prime rib though I have yet to run across one on either Celebrity or NCL. Interestingly enough Carnival does it right -- two nights in the MDR on seven night sailings. So, is it offered in the MDR on seven night sailings on Princess (more than once)... and is it GOOD? That would be an ideal balcony dining night!

THANKS!

Tom

EDIT::: Is there an option one night for a Chef's Table???

UBD is $100/couple and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. It is typically filet, lobster or both. Service is great and the food is quite good. If you do a search you will find photos and videos of the UBD meal.

On a seven day Princess cruise the current 7 day menus will have prime rib once on the Embarkation day Sailaway menu.

Tom-n-Cheryl....I found this on you tube and after watching it I booked a Princess cruise for December. Enjoy and report back to us when you return from your Thanksgiving cruise......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33alwNpl3mE

I guess you must know about one free dinner the first evening in a Specialty restaurant for people in suites. I suspect reservations might also be required and it sounds like a great perk.

With any luck it is rolled out in time for my cruise next week.

Here is the flyer..

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships/PrincessSuite_eFlyer.pdf

Thanks for all the replies!

Ironic, isn't it, that the night with Prime Rib in the MDR is the same night as a "free" meal in a specialty restaurant! D A R N !!!

Tom

As good or bad as the prime rib is considered I wouldn't be sorry to forgo it for a Specialty restaurant any day of the week. What the ship considers excellent prime rib is not what's served in a decent lane based restaurant. Princess has improved it in the last 7 or 8 years but it's still not as spectacular.

As good or bad as the prime rib is considered I wouldn't be sorry to forgo it for a Specialty restaurant any day of the week. What the ship considers excellent prime rib is not what's served in a decent lane based restaurant. Princess has improved it in the last 7 or 8 years but it's still not as spectacular.

Yep - sometimes it's just luck of the draw!

I have not been pleased with my "Prime Rib" encounters on Celebrity or NCL, though Carnival consistently (let's say 85+% of the time) delivers a tender flavorful cut. What is the wild card with them is their horseradish - often very mild. Oddly, that is one of the things on our packing list for the last few years! :D

1142528018_TaWi7-L.jpg

Just like with Buffalo Wings, over time I prefer HOTTER! Either I get used to the stuff, or I am burning out my taste buds! ;)

Tom

Yep - sometimes it's just luck of the draw!

I have not been pleased with my "Prime Rib" encounters on Celebrity or NCL, though Carnival consistently (let's say 85+% of the time) delivers a tender flavorful cut. What is the wild card with them is their horseradish - often very mild. Oddly, that is one of the things on our packing list for the last few years! :D

1142528018_TaWi7-L.jpg

Just like with Buffalo Wings, over time I prefer HOTTER! Either I get used to the stuff, or I am burning out my taste buds! ;)

Tom

I made a comment to our waiter on the Crown recently about the wimpy horseradish whip they wanted to serve me and he brought out a bowl full of freshly ground horseradish they probably just made that day. :eek: Of course I couldn't eat the whole thing but I did my best. :p I think they did it on purpose to just to see my reaction.

Last year during our Thanksgiving cruise (Emerald) we just asked for extra thick cut of prime rib and got it , ask for 1 1/2 inch cut. My April TA (Crown) asked for a end cut, got it, but it was way to well done, did not enjoy!

I usually ask for a "middle of the roast" cut, Cheryl opts for one next to the end!

Tom

As you age, as with many thinks, your taste buds loose efficiency.... Sigh.

Tom

You can request and pay for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner before you get on the ship, but you don't schedule which night until after you're on board. We loved it on the Crown Princess. I've promised DH to do it again if we ever get another balcony cabin.

Ironic, isn't it, that the night with Prime Rib in the MDR is the same night as a "free" meal in a specialty restaurant! D A R N !!!

If you speak with your headwaiter in the MDR, you can request the Prime Rib for a following evening and probably the request can be accomodated.

If you speak with your headwaiter in the MDR, you can request the Prime Rib for a following evening and probably the request can be accomodated.

Though it's not our plan to try the MDR... We will probably have the UBD one night, and then hit the specialty places on the one or two nights that we don't dine on our balcony. Since we'll be in Curacao until 10 PM, we might consider some options there. Anyone care to make suggestions in that regard?

Thanks,

Tom

Last year during our Thanksgiving cruise (Emerald) we just asked for extra thick cut of prime rib and got it , ask for 1 1/2 inch cut. My April TA (Crown) asked for a end cut, got it, but it was way to well done, did not enjoy!

I used to do the same thing but after receiving an extra thick piece one time that wasn't barely eatable I felt foolish not finishing it. I now accept what they bring & if I want more I'll send them back for another.

You can request and pay for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner before you get on the ship, but you don't schedule which night until after you're on board. We loved it on the Crown Princess. I've promised DH to do it again if we ever get another balcony cabin.

Do you mind sharing how to do that? I thought we could only prepay the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast. I want to prepay as much as possible.

Do you mind sharing how to do that? I thought we could only prepay the Ultimate Balcony Breakfast. I want to prepay as much as possible.

You can give yourself a gift of onboard credit. The amount of money will be on your shipboard account and although you cannot designate exactly what it is for, if you gift yourself the amount of the UBD, you have effectively paid for it in advance.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/onboard_credit/Index.jsp

You can prepay pretty much anything except Chef's Table and the UST. Call the same number you call to order flowers, etc. They will take your CC number and a card will be waiting for you in the cabin telling you to call room service to arrange the date and time.

You can give yourself a gift of onboard credit. The amount of money will be on your shipboard account and although you cannot designate exactly what it is for, if you gift yourself the amount of the UBD, you have effectively paid for it in advance.

Thanks for the reply. We're planning on purchasing a substantial amount of OBC. As a matter of fact, I've already started. :D It's our 20th anniversary cruise, & I want us to have enough OBC to buy anything we want w/o giving it a second thought.

You can prepay pretty much anything except Chef's Table and the UST. Call the same number you call to order flowers, etc. They will take your CC number and a card will be waiting for you in the cabin telling you to call room service to arrange the date and time.

Good to know. I saw a number for booking UBB, but didn't realize I could prepay for things not listed in the Bon Voyage options (UBD isn't listed). Thanks for letting me know. I'll definitely be purchasing it in advance.

Does it appear on your credit card statement prior to cruising or do they wait till after the trip?

Archived