What are some unusual things you pack, and glad you did?

purrfect007

We travel with two tween daughters, so there is never enough electrical outlets or storage. I have a small power strip made by monster that I always travel with. It has a small led light in the end that acts as a night light for anyone that has to get up in the night. Wife always brings the over the door shoe holder for their toiletries. I also have a fold up day bag that folds very flat and rides in my back pack. I usually carry camera gear and light jackets in there when we are out and about. I usually end up carrying all the souvenirs that get bought in it. We toss in a couple of the big alligator hair clips in for hair and to keep the curtains closed.

I have started to always pack a couple of heavy duty rubber bands to keep closet doors and drawers closed during rough seas. I prefer the cheap, flexible bracelet type bands over a real rubber band. They have not broken on me. They are easier to remove when you want to open one of them than duct tape is.

We also pack a heavy duty door stopper to keep our balcony door open when we are out there and need to hear what is going on in the room. The Jewel class balcony doors have a real tendency to slide closed even when in the locked open position, particularly in the aft facing cabins.

I always bring the over the door shoe organizer to keep all of our smaller stuff organized and easy to find. It keeps the countertops uncluttered. I just fold it flat on top of the suitcase before I close it and it helps keep the clothes in place as we travel.

I also always throw in a few ziploc bags in sandwich, quart and gallon sizes and have used them for many things including bringing home damp swimsuits and keeping cookies, etc from the buffet in for a later snack. They weigh almost nothing and take up very little room.

I found a smaller organizer with different size compartments. Has a hanger attached to hang over the door. Folds in thirds for easy packing. Too cool.

small supply of duct tape

If you feel that duct tape is really needed (the only time I needed duct tape was on a land tour in Greece and you can buy the stuff in stores there), you will find that Gorilla Tape is much better.

DON

Small, lit magnifying glass. DH and I wear glasses, but sometimes that is not enough, especially if we are in port at a restaurant and the menu type is so small we can't read it. It makes it easier.

If you have a smart phone try "Over 40 Magnifier and Flashlight" DH loves it. And you can get it even if you are under 40! :D

I found a smaller organizer with different size compartments. Has a hanger attached to hang over the door. Folds in thirds for easy packing. Too cool.

The one I have is a little different than most as well. It has a couple of larger pockets at the bottom, big enough to hold purses, etc. so it can hold larger items. Since I have used it I can't imagine traveling more than a day or two without it. Especially with a teenaged daughter.;)

Super glue and sticky notes, along with the aforementioned flat tote and a wad of ziploc bags. I broke a toenail last cruise, very short, and the pain was bad with every step. Super glue not sold on ship, so I had to wait for the next sea day. Lots of steps before then!

We use the notes to communicate with the steward, as well as each other. Last time, it was Day 3 before we met our steward, and we sought him out! Notes like "thanks for extra ice" and "need a sharps, please" as well as meet you at 2pm on top deck" make things smoother.

When I have 4 or 5 in the room with ipads, computers, kindles and phones, the two outlet fixture under the desk isn't enough. If I was traveling as just a couple it would be fine, but not with my hoard. We take one of these...a power squid. More effective than a power strip because all plugs are accessible

Real squid on the left, power squid on the right :)

powersquid.jpg

A couple of other things that we bring:

A small multi-tool, like a "leatherman". We've used these for various things, including opening our own balcony dividers (grin)

a couple of 13 gallon garbage bags we can use for almost anything. Laundry, wet clothing, etc.

A couple of canvas totes. They pack perfectly flat and can be used for a lot of things. They're generally available and cheap in ports too

A water bottle for refilling with ship water instead of buying it

Small pad of post-it notes comes in handy too

My mother takes Crystal Light packets to flavor her water. Something like Mio would be good too. Personally I'm fine with tap water and iced tea

I always get free thermal mugs with lids over the course of the year and bring one with me for hot or cold tea. It's something I leave behind when I go home since it was free.

I also have a compass necklace that has gotten me back on track a few times. I purchased it after getting lost too many times in Venice.

A tiny speaker for my netbook that really makes a difference when watching movies.

I found having a power adapter for when I stayed in European hotels came in handy on the ship, I was able to use the 220 outlet as an extra oulet.

I got a new portable alarm clock before my Baltic cruise, it not only tells time, gives temp and calculates, but you can put in two separate currencies to quickly calculate what something would cost in your own money. I found it very helpful. And it's very slim so takes up no space at all in whatever you're carrying in port.

And I always have a swiss army knife.

There are other things I've taken over time, but those are the things that were the most useful.

I have a ziplock bag with a travel sized bottles of Febreze, Downy Wrinkle release, Lysol, and Static Guard (the only one I haven't used for awhile ;)) along with a Tide Stain Stick and a few travel sized envelopes of woolite.

My husband says Don't leave home without baby powder.

My mini blender. After a few nothing else matters. Just kidding.

Mini? You have been promising me margaritas for a year or more and NOW you tell me they come from a mini blender??? The ship will run out of power before we get enough to drink!:rolleyes:

Besides clothing here is what I normally don't leave home without, my husband thinks I'm ridiculous but he sure uses all my crap (as he calls it)!

Altec Lansing Portable speakers w/Ipod - I like listening to music on my balcony with a bottle of wine in the evening it's also very lightweight so I can put it in my beachbag and take it to the beach. I'm a huge music lover!

Ipad - Good for reading books, nightlight, alarm clock, Cruise app and watching movies when I get stuck in the room at night with my 5 year old

Belkin surge protector with 3 outlets and 2 usb chargers (it's great)

Pro Camera (I'm a photographer & although it's a royal pain to carry I don't leave home without it)

Point & Shoot waterproof, shatterproof, freezeproof camera

My own shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion & sunblock

Fabreeze, hand sanitizer & Clorox Wipes (I know I have OCD but I like to wipe things down just in case especially traveling with my child).

Over the door organizer, for our (me & dd) hair accessories, jewelry, make-up & other junk we want to keep organized.

Fold up laundry basket

Wine at least 6 bottles for a 7 day cruise I pay $90 in corkage fees but well worth it.

I admire people who go on a 7 day cruise or longer with only a carry on. One day I will attempt this but not anytime soon. One of my clients just went to Europe for 2 weeks with only a carry on:confused:

Fantastic!!! What great suggestions. I'm adding the plastic kitchen bags for dirty clothes, the "clips" for towels, the softer night light. I am reviewing what to take OUT of the suitcases.

Is it easy to store the suitcases under the bed?

In Canada, we cannot get the Downy Wrinkle releaser. I take an empty spray bottle with a Downy sheet inside. Fill it with water on board, and it takes some of the wrinkles out of our clothes. I use it at home as well. Works great and is a quick fix. The power cord is a must as well as the over the door organizer. Makes it very easy to have everything at the ready as you are going out the door.:)

Archived