What are some unusual things you pack, and glad you did?

purrfect007

Is a travel iron a useful item, or an extension cord?

Wondering what kind of things you've packed that have really helped out your cruise vacation and you'd recommend.

I'm scaling back my packing, mostly because I am thinking of what it will be like to pack on the last night, and who is going to remember what I wore when or where?

Either item, if noticed, could get you called to the naughty room and be confiscated. You can request an iron through housekeeping, they will lend you one for a few hours. I would bring a power strip vs a traditional extension cord.

Wondering what kind of things you've packed that have really helped out your cruise vacation and you'd recommend.

Assorted size zip lock bags (think still damp bathing suits) and I really liked having a pop up hamper (dollar store) for the closet and hiding the luggage under the bed.

I'm scaling back my packing, mostly because I am thinking of what it will be like to pack on the last night, and who is going to remember what I wore when or where?

I think that's a good idea. :)

Why was a power strip helpful?

There are very few outlets. You might want to plug in the iron, charge your phone and charge your camera battery at the same time.

Also, I found a tap-on light useful at night (dollar store again). For the bedside so i didn't wake up anyone else and for the bathroom because that light is way too bright at 3am!

I like to bring a couple of kitchen sized garbage bags. We toss our dirty clothes into the bag, give it a couple of twists, and stow it under the bed with the suitcases. On packing day, I just grab the bag, squeeze out excess air, and pack the whole thing into the suitcase.

At least four extra large pegs for keeping the towels on the deck chair if it's windy, some smaller pegs for fixing wet swimming stuff to back of chair on balcony(if you have one). I know there is a washing line in the bathroom but outside works quicker/better for us.

Have fun.

I second post 8 ("pegs" being clothespins or clips). We bring plastic clips (dollar store again), to fasten items to the balcony chairs, but also to weigh down the dreaded shower curtain so it doesn't stick to your posterior ;)!

We use an outlet cube rather than a power strip - takes up little space.

Other small conveniences: post-it's for reminders and notes, a highlighter to mark up the dailies, and a small roll or sheets of bubble wrap to protect some of our purchases.

Why was a power strip helpful?

That would completely depend on what you bring with you that requires you to plug in.

I never bring a power strip, stictly because I have very few electronics that I need it for. My camcorder can be charged at a separate time than I am using my laptop, my cell & ereader charge from my USB on my laptop.

So if you are not brining a mountain of electronics, it is really not required.

At least four extra large pegs for keeping the towels on the deck chair if it's windy, some smaller pegs for fixing wet swimming stuff to back of chair on balcony(if you have one). I know there is a washing line in the bathroom but outside works quicker/better for us.

Have fun.

In case the OP does not wish to bring the pegs for the towels. You can either leave your towels for your steward to replace or exchange them for dry ones at the pool towel exchange.

I second post 8 ("pegs" being clothespins or clips). We bring plastic clips (dollar store again), to fasten items to the balcony chairs, but also to weigh down the dreaded shower curtain so it doesn't stick to your posterior ;)!

We use an outlet cube rather than a power strip - takes up little space.

Other small conveniences: post-it's for reminders and notes, a highlighter to mark up the dailies, and a small roll or sheets of bubble wrap to protect some of our purchases.

The OP is going on the Gem, I believe they have shower doors not curtains.

OP I too got caught up in the comfort gadgets on my first sail. I still bring lots of neat stuff to make things nicer (drives DH nuts). But to scale back, I just went down the list and asked myself "what do I need this for" and either can I do without that comfort or convenience for a week or can I get around this another way such as the power cord above. On my first sail I brought one, on the 2nd sail I didn't because I discovered if I just plugged in my camcorder when I was gone for a meal it would charge then and if I brought the USB charger for my cell (a lot small) instead of my electrical outlet one all was good.

Have fun.

Yes I totally agree, invaluable if sunbathing on top deck of ship, also they are great for "pegging " magazine or book pages back when reading on deck

I also thought duct tape was a good idea.

(We place small strips of yellow duct tape on all sides of our luggage.)

BTW, our luggage is well used, and could "go" at any time.

However, in Barcelona, customs security police took what little was left on the roll.

They said it could be used for handcuffs. :-)

small supply of duct tape

I always bring insulated large coffee cups with lids, either paper throwaways or re-useable. They're great for coffee runs at the buffet (no spills) and sometimes I fill some and put them in the frig for iced coffee. I can't tell you how many times people have asked where I got them and are always disappoinred when I explain that I brought them with me.

I also thought duct tape was a good idea.

(We place small strips of yellow duct tape on all sides of our luggage.)

BTW, our luggage is well used, and could "go" at any time.

However, in Barcelona, customs security police took what little was left on the roll.

They said it could be used for handcuffs. :-)

Usually don't need the tape, but on one cruise they managed to rip a softside suitcase, taped it back up. Also, used it once during a rough cruise to tape closet and drawers shut.

As for large clothespins, a few stores (Walmart for one) carry those made like animals or frogs etc that have a circular area built in to clip onto the chairs.

I still think the better question is what can you leave at home...

We've never ever used or missed the vast majority of things people here recommend on these threads. Never had a need for duct tape over the door storage, or a power strip. I could easily fill two suitcases full of all these "useful" items that people recommend but we've never needed. An extension cord is really only needed if you have a CPAP, a scooter, or some other medical item that cannot be located close to the outlet.

Before you pack something, ask yourself how much you will really use it, can you get by without it, and is it worth the extra clutter in your cabin and the extra space and weight needed to bring it. If you really expect to use it and it will be inconvenient for you not to have it, then bring it. However, many of the useful things that -might- be needed in an "emergency" can be obtained on board or in port, and aren't worth carrying just in case, imo. (I'm not talking about things like sunblock or meds that experience has shown are useful to have around, and which take up very little space.)

The most useful extra I've brought, a tote bag that folds very flat, takes up very little space, and is light but strong. Useful for carrying things on longer excursions (water, camera, wipes, etc.) And for bringing things home that were bought on board or in port.

Depending on where you're going and how much time you plan to spend outside, an umbrella or a hat to protect from rain/sun may also be helpful. But I look for light, compact items if I decide things like this are needed.

We've never ever used or missed the vast majority of things people here recommend on these threads. Never had a need for duct tape over the door storage, or a power strip. I could easily fill two suitcases full of all these "useful" items that people recommend but we've never needed. An extension cord is really only needed if you have a CPAP, a scooter, or some other medical item that cannot be located close to the outlet.

Before you pack something, ask yourself how much you will really use it, can you get by without it, and is it worth the extra clutter in your cabin and the extra space and weight needed to bring it. If you really expect to use it and it will be inconvenient for you not to have it, then bring it. However, many of the useful things that -might- be needed in an "emergency" can be obtained on board or in port, and aren't worth carrying just in case, imo. (I'm not talking about things like sunblock or meds that experience has shown are useful to have around, and which take up very little space.)

The most useful extra I've brought, a tote bag that folds very flat, takes up very little space, and is light but strong. Useful for carrying things on longer excursions (water, camera, wipes, etc.) And for bringing things home that were bought on board or in port.

Depending on where you're going and how much time you plan to spend outside, an umbrella or a hat to protect from rain/sun may also be helpful. But I look for light, compact items if I decide things like this are needed.

Me too. I love that tote and have used it on several of our cruises. It takes up almost no space in my suitcase but adds a lot of room to pack things in when I need it.

Me too. I love that tote and have used it on several of our cruises. It takes up almost no space in my suitcase but adds a lot of room to pack things in when I need it.

We've never ever used or missed the vast majority of things people here recommend on these threads. Never had a need for duct tape over the door storage, or a power strip. I could easily fill two suitcases full of all these "useful" items that people recommend but we've never needed.

DH laughs when I pack all the gadgets. He tells me his clothes take up a small corner of the 2 suitcases we bring and that I require a suitcase for just my gadgets. On the other hand the items I bring to organize the cabin and make use of all spaces, has him happy I bring what I do, when he tries to locate things. He doesn't have to run around the ship looking for me since I leave him scribbles on a post it note where I am going. And of course he never complains about me packing his binnoculars that he has used many times over on our cruises.

We fly and I'm always under my weight in our suitcases and always have room for everything I bring, so why not. But if you don't have a need for things then you don't need to bring them.

I always bring the over the door shoe organizer to keep all of our smaller stuff organized and easy to find. It keeps the countertops uncluttered. I just fold it flat on top of the suitcase before I close it and it helps keep the clothes in place as we travel.

I also always throw in a few ziploc bags in sandwich, quart and gallon sizes and have used them for many things including bringing home damp swimsuits and keeping cookies, etc from the buffet in for a later snack. They weigh almost nothing and take up very little room.

Sewing kit.

Always comes in handy.

Specially on last cruise when I needed one and could not find one

because the shops on board were out of them. Had to wait 3 days to buy one at one of the islands.

I like to have music in my room. Of course, the duct tape, nite light, power strip and plastic water bottles (for shore excursions) also help. Also a small bag of ground coffee for the coffee maker in my cabin--as the supplied coffee is not that good.

Archived