day of boarding

scumbers

hi all

just wondered what happens in terms of when you get on the ship. When first entering the ship is there a line of officers greating you etc?

do you get given any drinks?

its not important but curious :)

cheers

Yes, there are crew there to greet you and you are given a drink. Champagne, mimosa or OJ - all in flutes. Then, if the cabins are not ready you get a crew member guiding you to the elevators who take you to either the grand foyer floor or the buffet floor. When the rooms are ready you are then allowed to the other floors of the ship.

There isn't a "receiving line" of ship's officers if that's what you are picturing but you will be greeted at several points along the way. As you leave the check-in lines you can stop and have your Welcome Aboard photo taken, either singly or in the group you are traveling with, as you wish. They will take your SeaPass card at that point and from then on the face recognition software might be able to tie your photos to your stateroom. As you enter the ship you stop at a security machine and have your photo taken again, this time it is hooked into the ship's security system. Along the way staff from the Activities Department are generally there to greet you.

When you enter the ship you should receive a complimentary beverage, of orange juice, sparkling wine, or a mimosa.

The buffet will be open, and probably the Aqua Spa and pool grill, but not thr Main Dining Room. The staterooms may not be ready if you board before one.

One warning that many fall victim to when boarding the ship. You will receive your free mimosa or champagne when boarding. After that you will see waiters walking around with nice pretty drinks with little umbrella's. They are not the free drinks, you will have to pay for them.

Best thing after that is just wander the ship and take care of some things you might not have done on board such as spa appointments, drink packages, and excursions.

Also, if considering buying a drink package once on board the ship be a little careful since depending on the port they may be required to charge you sales tax or vat tax. Best to wait until out at sea just to be sure.

Hi Don!

Good advice. I was wondering about the tax charged on drink packages as I want to purchase my drunk package with an OBC. Do you know if NJ sales tax would be applied? I'd like to use the package with lunch at Bistro on Five.

Hope you are feeling better!

Boarding might begin as early as eleven. But if there was any delay from the previous cruise you might end up sitting in the cruise terminal for a while. The staterooms are seldom available before one, and sometimes after that, so you will be dragging your carry-on with you if you board too early.

Hi Don!

Good advice. I was wondering about the tax charged on drink packages as I want to purchase my drunk package with an OBC. Do you know if NJ sales tax would be applied? I'd like to use the package with lunch at Bistro on Five.

I know if you order a drink while still at the pier, you will be charged NJ 7% sales tax. I believe they will write down all your information when you order a large ticket item such as the beverage package, then actually ring it up after the ship departs for open waters.

They are usually set up at the buffet entrance selling the package, so I would ask to double check when you sign up.

Hi Don!

Hey Sandi! Unless I am mistaken, I don't think they charge tax on drink packages. They charge you the 15% gratuity.

I am going to wait to get my package with my OBC credit too. What a way to get the cruise started!

Hey Sandi! Unless I am mistaken, I don't think they charge tax on drink packages. They charge you the 15% gratuity.

I am going to wait to get my package with my OBC credit too. What a way to get the cruise started!

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the info. I already purchased DHs package during the sale (it's his birthday:)) and expect he will get good use of it in Michaels, etc.

Nothing like a great lunch with drinks in Bistro on 5 to start the trip!

What time do they start boarding the ship? I am sailing Summit on Sunday and my wife wants to get an early start to our vacation.

Between 11:00-11:30. Once you board, I recommend you head up forward on the Port side to the Aqua Spa Cafe. Grab a table next to the window where you will have a great view of the Statue and Downtown Manhattan. You can have a nice lunch without all the crowds. The fresh grilled tuna is wonderful. You can also get salmon or grilled chicken without having all the food picked over going thru the buffet line.

If you have purchased a drink package in advance (of boarding the ship), can you use it right away for "free" drinks once you have boarded? Thank you!

Yes, if you purchased your package ahead of time, you can use it as soon as you are on board the ship.

One warning that many fall victim to when boarding the ship. You will receive your free mimosa or champagne when boarding. After that you will see waiters walking around with nice pretty drinks with little umbrella's. They are not the free drinks, you will have to pay for them. Best thing after that is just wander the ship and take care of some things you might not have done on board such as spa appointments, drink packages, and excursions.

Also, if considering buying a drink package once on board the ship be a little careful since depending on the port they may be required to charge you sales tax or vat tax. Best to wait until out at sea just to be sure.

Very good advise. I love that the staff wait till you take a sip and then ask for your sail pass! That is brilliant!

M

Hi Don!

Don't know about the Jersey tax although I think others have answered the question.

Not feeling better, I wouldn't wish shingles on anyone.. Thanks for your thoughts...

Very good advise. I love that the staff wait till you take a sip and then ask for your sail pass! That is brilliant!

M

You are so right, I remember falling victim to that on my first cruise years ago on the Big Red Boat. Walked on the ship and thought they were giving us drinks just as we got on the ship. Took a sip and they asked for the card. I guess all the cruise lines do it and I know a lot of newcomers fall victim.

Archived