Prepaid Gratuities / Carnival

This post is also incorrect. Why is it that people always want to pretend that things happen one way, and they have no proof of what they are saying? Again, show us any REAL proof that you have for your statement. Real proof is not "I had a friend that this happened to, and he told me about this!"

Prove to me they don't know! Because I'm sure they do -- I suspect it's standard information.

My reason for asking about this is when I eat somewhere where I dont utilize waitstaff, why should I still be tipping them ? Some days we will be ashore. Why should dining room waitstaff get a full share if I didn't see them that day? I do tip, aand well I might say. But why should I just freely give money away to someone I didn't see that day just because the cruise line says so ?

Keep in mind that waitstaff includes all the people in the MDR and on the Lido deck (wait staff bus staff, etc).

Prove to me they don't know! Because I'm sure they do -- I suspect it's standard information.

Well if you know that for sure then you must be smart enough to not take the gratuities off until later in the evening on the last day of your cruise. That way you can avoid being abused by the staff because you are such a cheapskate.

Another one that does not want to tip these hardworking folks. I leave all my tips in tacked, it does not matter if I don't eat in the Main Dining room or not. I have seen people come down to guest services at the end of the cruise and remove tips so they can cover their bar bill. I also was behind a couple that were removing all tips for there 3 children. I have talked to cabin stewards that have received no tips from couples or families. My cruise last July there was an individual that requested all his drink tips be removed, said he was not served fast enough. I will tip an extra couple of dollars on my drink orders, I give my MDR team extra money for service, I tip my room steward extra at the beginning of each cruise and at the end, needless to say I am well taken care of and all are very happy at the end of my adventure, for I know they are away from their families and are trying to provide a better life. These individuals work 12-14 hour days with very little time for themselves. They do receive an 4 hour break 1 day a week. So God Bless them

A portion of that auto-tip goes to some of the behind-the-scene workers such as those in the buffet areas clearing tables and trays etc..... how would one possibly be able to tip everyone that has provided service to them?

Leave the dang auto-tip on and then tip over and above to those that you feel are deserving of it. Do people really waste their valuable cruise time chasing down every service worker who has provided them service?

Let the cruiseline deal with splitting up who gets what and why. It's only a measley few dollars a day anyway. Don't be a cheapskate.

.:)

I love this!

For folks who insist on handing cash directly to staff I suggest getting rolls of quarters to dole out one or two at a time - I dare say I'm helped by more than 12 people per day so if you use $1 as tips you'll go way above the original amount suggested by Carnival. :rolleyes:

(I personally prepay tips then extra in cash at end of cruise.)

Edited by BananaAnna

all tips are at your discretion, and best paid in hand to who ever you wish to tip, when pre paying the staff do not recieve the full amount that you pay so give in person to whom you wish good luck to you k c r:)

I may be mistaken but I have been told by staff more than once that if a passenger takes off auto tips the staff member must turn in any cash tips they're given to the tip pool at the risk of being fired BUT if the auto is left on then the staff member may keep the extra cash as given.

There may be some on here that disagree with me but I have been told this by staff and have actually seen this policy in writing in the HAL staff handbook (HAL is under the Carnival umbrella). If this is true then I don't imagine that a hardworking staff member is going to risk their job for someone's $20 tip.

Quick question, if the cruise is paid for can we still prepayGratuities?

You revived a very, very old thread. And, of course, it has now started up the age-old tipping arguments that have been pretty much beaten to death over and over and over on these boards!

And those of you who responded to the old, old stuff - doesn't anyone look at dates? Most of these people haven't been on the boards for 3 threes so why respond?!?!?

Anyway, I don't think you can do it online. Just call Carnival and ask! If they want your money now instead of later, they'll let you pre-pay.

Edited by NCTribeFan

it is the cruise lines responsibility to ensure the staffs hard work is decently rewarded, if this is not the case it is they that are mean not the passengers!!!! we ALWAYS tip privately with cash if you dont you will find out that the staff only recieve 75% of the prepaid tips as the cruise lines keep back 25%, so pay whom you want what you want in private and in person.

Wrong. 100% of the tips do go to the employees. Fact

You revived a very, very old thread. And, of course, it has now started up the age-old tipping arguments that have been pretty much beaten to death over and over and over on these boards!

And those of you who responded to the old, old stuff - doesn't anyone look at dates? Most of these people haven't been on the boards for 3 threes so why respond?!?!?

Anyway, I don't think you can do it online. Just call Carnival and ask! If they want your money now instead of later, they'll let you pre-pay.

Yes. Just call your PVP or TA and ask them to add them. I think that there may even be an option online to do it yourself.

I am sorry I was curious as our trip is paid for and would like to get the tips out of the way, wow funny in how three little letters (TIP) get the masses going, thanks for the answer....