hotels in Ft. Lauderdale

spikecat

If you are a good walker, you could conceivably walk from Hyatt Pier 66 or Hilton Marina Hotel on 17th Street Causeway. Both are across from Port Everglades. However, it would be very difficult dragging luggage.

We always stay at Hyatt Pier 66 Hotel and love looking down onto Port Everglades and seeing the ships sail in and out. Great view. :)

If you are close taxis are negligible.

We walked from Embassy suites to the port one day - great:D

however I would never do it with luggage - I'll crack the $7 to take the cab and get my luggage there easily:)

I agree the cost of taxi is very low if you are in the 17th Street Causeway area.

It never costs us more than $10.

You have to line up behind cars to show your passport at the gate and then find your terminal. Not worth the cost - yes, $10 but less so that includes the tip. If you can afford to cruise, you can afford a taxi to the port.

You have to line up behind cars to show your passport at the gate and then find your terminal. Not worth the cost - yes, $10 but less so that includes the tip. If you can afford to cruise, you can afford a taxi to the port.

Really? What do you know what the op can or cannot afford. I've always found comments like this to be useless.

Yes the statement was okay till the last sentence, then it turned offensive. We will be in the position of taxi or walk ourselves, as we are right across the street from entrance. However to walk to the pier where the Maasdam will be docked, I believe is unsafe and quite a distance with luggage to walk, so it simply makes sense to take a taxi or shuttle if one is available.

There are several hotels that provide a free shuttle to the pier. The last time I cruised out of FLL, I stayed at Sleep Inn in Dania. Its not a 5 star hotel, but its nice, clean, quiet and you get a free breakfast and shuttle to the port. Its been a few years, but I'm sure there are still hotels that provide shuttle service.

Are there any hotels-motels within walking distance of the cruise terminal?Have you stayed there and were they okay?

Check the Florida board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

tons of info over there.

Many hotels are in walking distance of the port entrance, but it would be much easier on you to get a cab or shuttle.

Walking to the pier from a hotel located next to the port entrance would be like deciding you could walk to Epcot Centre from your hotel located near the entrance to Walt Disney World. It may sound like a good idea from the comfort of your home but in reality it would be long, hot and dangerous. Traffic can get quite intense at busy times and drivers would not be expecting to see walkers.

As others have said, taxis are cheap and plentiful.

If you can afford to cruise, you can afford a taxi to the port.

If you think that is too much, then you probably should re evaluate your finances.

What's with this sniping about money? The OP just asked a simple question, with no hint of wanting to save money.

What's with this sniping about money? The OP just asked a simple question, with no hint of wanting to save money.

exactly:) walking to the port and seeing the ships sounds like a really nice idea - but it's a huge port and can have a lot of ships and could be a really looooooooooooong walk - no matter how close your hotel is.

I think the op just had a nice idea - no mention of trying to save money.

Totally agree Carol

If you want to see Port Everglades, instead of walking which really is not feasible, stay at the Hyatt Pier 66 hotel and you can see them from your room.

Ask for a room in the tower facing Port Everglades.

Not all rooms in that hotel have a view of Port Everglades.

I highly recommend the Marriott Rennaisance on 17th Street. Some of the upper floors have views of the cruiseships. They offered a pretty reasonable shuttle to the pier. There were several decent restaurants within walking distance, and the water taxi stop is a short walk. For a nominal fee, you can upgrade to concierge class where you can take advantage of snacks, a happy hour and a nice breakfast.

Why would anyone even consider walking to the port with luggage? :eek: There aren't even sidewalks once you enter the port area.
Some people do. As said, the walk to the entrance isn't bad from a number of hotels in the area but once you're through the gate, it's quite a hike to the ship's pier with a constant stream of traffic, in the heat and humidity, with no sidewalks dragging your luggage.

EXCATLY....the OP NEVER even mentioned money. :eek:

Why would anyone even consider walking to the port with luggage? :eek: There aren't even sidewalks once you enter the port area.

Not so sure why or how your response relates to my post?:confused:

Why would anyone even consider walking to the port with luggage? :eek:
In some ports (e.g. San Diego or NYC) you can get a hotel across the street or within a very short, safe walk from the pier. In this case, it's very convenient to do so, without having to wait for a taxi, or a shuttle van to arrive and fill. The OP simply asked if this is the case in Ft L.

In Old San Juan, one can easily wheel their suitcase from the Sheraton across to the Old San Juan docks.

It used to be possible at HAL's old pier in Seattle too, but i don't know now. It's possible in Venice to get to the ship by People Mover and foot! :)

Archived