hotels in Ft. Lauderdale

spikecat

If you want to see Port Everglades, instead of walking which really is not feasible, stay at the Hyatt Pier 66 hotel and you can see them from your room.

Ask for a room in the tower facing Port Everglades.

Not all rooms in that hotel have a view of Port Everglades.

Better yet, stay at Embassy Suites, 1100 SE 17th. Street, & request a room on the 10th. floor or higher, facing east for a great view of the port! :) (And a full cooked-to-order breakfast is included, unlike Hyatt Pier 66)! ;)

Better yet, stay at Embassy Suites, 1100 SE 17th. Street, & request a room on the 10th. floor or higher, facing east for a great view of the port! :) (And a full cooked-to-order breakfast is included, unlike Hyatt Pier 66)! ;)

Why would you say it's better? I booked a room at the Hyatt in Dec for $75 less than the Embassy Suites. That's a pretty big difference.

We got one of those rooms earlier this year - how nice it was too:)

Either location is nice - I know Lorekauf has found pier 66 cheaper than Embassy suites - we, on the other hand have found embassy suites cheaper (especially when you take into account the breakfast and free drinks at the manager's reception). Love it's location too:)

I'll be staying at the Embassy Suites for the third time this coming November. Just for the heck of it I checked the rates at the Hyatt, and my suite at Embassy is lower. Plus, as already pointed out, you get breakfast at ES, and the manager's reception serves as my pre-dinner cocktail.

You can't beat the location of the ES, with the Harbor Shoppes right behind the hotel. Don't know about the Hyatt, but all suites at ES have a kitchenette, so I walk to Publix and get fruit, wine, salad, etc., and have lunch and snacks in my room. I only eat dinner at a restaurant.

Roz

One consideration is the lift bridge over the waterway. If you are departing the Hyatt for the port by taxi at the same time the bridge opens you are stuck sitting in traffic with a ticking meter.

We have stayed at the Comfort Inn, Renaissance, Holiday Inn and the Embassy Suites. The Embassy Suites were the best suited for us for the reasons Kazu mentioned and we have two more stays booked there.

Since there are no Outback restaurants around here it is a nice treat to have dinner at the one behind the Embassy Suites. You can also easily walk to the Bimini Boatyard for lunch or dinner.

The intensity of the traffic on the bridge would deter me from trying to walk over to the restaurants and shops from the Hyatt.

That being said, it looks like a lovely hotel and it is right next to a water taxi stop. If we had a car with us we would probably give it a try.

We've been going to the Hyatt for over 20 years and have a lot of friends there. :) When we arrive at Hyatt Pier 66, we get a similar welcome feeling such as we get when we return to HAL ships.

Their pool area is fabulous and certainly one of the best in FLL. Their Marina hosts some of the worlds great yachts and are a wonder to view. It's a beautiful Marina and we love walking the acres of grounds at Pier 66 that are all so manicured and kept so lovely. We enjoy their breakfast room, free WiFi, great lobby bar and the view right under our balcon(ies) to Port Everglades is spectacular. When we watch the ships sail in and out, we feel like we can reach out and touch them. We always feel like the horn toot is a 'goodbye' when they sail away. :o

If the biggest problem any of us have in this life is deciding if Embassy or Hyatt best suits us, what lucky people we are!!!

Choices are wonderful. Each should choose what works best for them.

Hyatt works best for us. :)

One consideration is the lift bridge over the waterway. If you are departing the Hyatt for the port by taxi at the same time the bridge opens you are stuck sitting in traffic with a ticking meter.

We have stayed at the Comfort Inn, Renaissance, Holiday Inn and the Embassy Suites. The Embassy Suites were the best suited for us for the reasons Kazu mentioned and we have two more stays booked there.

Since there are no Outback restaurants around here it is a nice treat to have dinner at the one behind the Embassy Suites. You can also easily walk to the Bimini Boatyard for lunch or dinner.

The intensity of the traffic on the bridge would deter me from trying to walk over to the restaurants and shops from the Hyatt.

That being said, it looks like a lovely hotel and it is right next to a water taxi stop. If we had a car with us we would probably give it a try.

The lift bridge goes up every half hour 9:00, 9:30 etc.

I have stayed at the Renaissance, the Hilton Marina and Hyatt at Pier 66. I like them all.

I have never walked it to the pier and I would not as the HAL pier is too far. Speaking of hotels, I also like to stay up on Las Olas Blvd and there is a great hotel up there. Old but nice. Another thing I like to do is ride the Water Taxi.

Have you ever walked to the port?

No, once AGAIN what does any of that have to do with you quoting my comment?

Have a look at post #20 I don't understand why you quoted my comment, it had NOTHING to do with walking. I was commenting on the fact that although the OP NEVER mentioned money, a few posters here ran away with the idea that the OP didn't want to pay for a cab.

The lift bridge goes up every half hour 9:00, 9:30 etc.

I did not know there was a schedule. That should help people in planning their departure time from the Hyatt. Take note Lorene.

You can't beat the location of the ES, with the Harbor Shoppes right behind the hotel. Don't know about the Hyatt, but all suites at ES have a kitchenette, so I walk to Publix and get fruit, wine, salad, etc., and have lunch and snacks in my room. I only eat dinner at a restaurant.
FYI, Hyatt Place (not to be confused with Hyatt Pier 66) is almost next door to the Embassy Suites. The rooms are very large (I'd say suite-sized except it's one big room) and has a small refrigerator. Breakfast is included. It's a 2-minute walk to the Outback and perhaps a 2-minute walk in the other direction to Total Wine and the other shops. They also have a self-serve laundry.

I did not know there was a schedule. That should help people in planning their departure time from the Hyatt. Take note Lorene.

When we listen to Lou's web page for sailaways from Port Everglades, we often hear the radio call to the man who raises and lowers the bridge. Tall boats that need the bridge raised radio ahead for the opening on the hour or the half hour.

Thx for the info Himself and Sapper. Now it's stupid question time. I'm only using the hotel after the cruise. Do I still need to be concerned about this:o. It is probably going to be harder to plan leaving from the port.

Thx for the info Himself and Sapper. Now it's stupid question time. I'm only using the hotel after the cruise. Do I still need to be concerned about this:o. It is probably going to be harder to plan leaving from the port.

Well it is a five minute drive at best to the bridge from the port. You also have to cross the bridge going to the airport when you leave from the hotel.

The hotel is immediately after you cross the bridge, coming from the port.

Well it is a five minute drive at best to the bridge from the port. You also have to cross the bridge going to the airport when you leave from the hotel.

The hotel is immediately after you cross the bridge, coming from the port.

Great info. Thx. I usually have stayed at HAL hotels and they aren't near anything except for the boonies:D;).

FLL is one port that is so easy to do on one's own with a wide range of hotel prices.

FLL airport is so near the port and comfortable hotels that it is one where folks who often use HAL transfer and hotels, often opt to do on their own. HAL used to put their guests at Hyatt Pier 66 but stopped using that hotel probably 8 or so years ago. From what I can gather, they do not put guests in conveniently located, near the airport/port hotels now but actually outside of FLL.

It's so easy and can be moderate cost with good research.

We've stopped at that bridge probably 50+ times and it is never more than 5-6 minutes. Rare when we wait very long.

FLL is one port that is so easy to do on one's own with a wide range of hotel prices.

FLL airport is so near the port and comfortable hotels that it is one where folks who often use HAL transfer and hotels, often opt to do on their own. HAL used to put their guests at Hyatt Pier 66 but stopped using that hotel probably 8 or so years ago. From what I can gather, they do not put guests in conveniently located, near the airport/port hotels now but actually outside of FLL.

It's so easy and can be moderate cost with good research.

I agree. The reason I do it is after that long, long flight from Calgary I just want a smiling face to greet me and show me the way. You know how sucky those long distance flights are. When I was married I really didn't mind doing things on the fly. Generally going alone now means I like to stick to an easy plan. My flight leaves at 9:15am and gets in to FLL at 9PM if I'm not late. I won't be a happy capmer after that day:eek:. That SOP for me for flights to FLL.

I agree. The reason I do it is after that long, long flight from Calgary I just want a smiling face to greet me and show me the way. You know how sucky those long distance flights are. When I was married I really didn't mind doing things on the fly. Generally going alone now means I like to stick to an easy plan. My flight leaves at 9:15am and gets in to FLL at 9PM if I'm not late. I won't be a happy capmer after that day:eek:. That SOP for me for flights to FLL.

Thanks for this post.

Sure makes sense to me.

I'd be very happy to hand myself over to someone I knew would get me to my hotel with the least amount of effort on my part.

I hate those long flights!!!! :(

I'd say it took us from door to door about 11 hours to/from Seattle. Ugh!

The air time isn't the hassle as much as airpot time.

Thanks for this post.

Sure makes sense to me.

I'd be very happy to hand myself over to someone I knew would get me to my hotel with the least amount of effort on my part.

I hate those long flights!!!! :(

I'd say it took us from door to door about 11 hours to/from Seattle. Ugh!

The air time isn't the hassle as much as airpot time.

Totally agree about the airport! Seattle is not too pleasant to get thru although I do like the airport once thru it.

We've decided to go with HAL's hotel package with transfers from airport to hotel to ship and we're in the Westin which isn't near the port, but we want our hands held by HAL. And interestingly the price isn't much more than we'd pay for a hotel in FLL in high season.

We just booked a room at the The Pillars Hotel in Ft Lauderdale. They offer a pre-post cruise with transportation, hotel and breakfast. The hotel is only 18 rooms but looks absolutely wonderful. We're very excited to stay at this hotel. Not to mention, the water taxi stops right on their patio!

Archived