Do you really have to pay for quiet time?????

parddr

I have been reading reviews about the CP. We WERE going to book a cruise for Feb until I noticed that you have to pay $20 day to use the adult only area on the ship. Talk about nickel and dime to death.

I think you must be talking about the Sanctuary. It's not the only place on the ship where you can get some quiet time. Try booking a balcony and you can have quiet time anytime you want!!!

There are plenty of places on board that you can get quiet time for free... As mentioned the fee is for the Sanctuary and with that fee comes a reserved lounge and extra staff attention to make you feel special.

I have:

1. Never payed for the Sanctuary

2. Never had a problem finding a quiet place on any cruise I have been on.

Skywalker's during the day is is a great example.

Or the Library

Or the Aft pool, which is adults only

And there are many other spots.

I have sailed on a large ship, The Diamond

and a small ship, The Ocean ( formerly the Tahitian)

Looking at your cruise history, I can easily understand your concern. Princess is a bit different than the cruise lines you have previously been on.

I have:

1. Never payed for the Sanctuary

2. Never had a problem finding a quiet place on any cruise I have been on.

Skywalker's during the day is is a great example.

Or the Library

Or the Aft pool, which is adults only

And there are many other spots.

I have sailed on a large ship, The Diamond

and a small ship, The Ocean ( formerly the Tahitian)

I doubt deck space was a huge issue on the Diamond in Alaska.

The Caribbean can be an entirely different story on Princess IMO.

Just use the sanctuary on some days or if you feel especially suicidal after listening to screaming darlings and the drunken sunburned fools. Believe me after being imposed on with that image........20 dollars will be a small price to pay for a little peaceful solice.

On the other days you may be stronger and find yourself among the drunken hoards.;)

I have been reading reviews about the CP. We WERE going to book a cruise for Feb until I noticed that you have to pay $20 day to use the adult only area on the ship. Talk about nickel and dime to death.
Not sure which ship you're planning to take or considering but it's quite easy to find a quiet area on the ship for nice conversation, reading, etc. Depending on the ship, Skywalkers is almost always quiet during the day, Adagio lounge, the Conservatory, any of the upper decks other than Lido if you want sun, etc. There are small couches and chairs outside Explorer's Lounge, and depending on the activities in the Atrium/Piazza, Crooners. I never have a problem finding a quiet place to sit and read, do needlepoint or whatever.

Oppss... didn't see that the OP was referring to the "CP" which is the Sea Princess. Or are they referring to the Caribbean (CB), Coral (CO) or Crown (KP)? The 2-letter designations are the Princess abbreviations, easy to spot when you go to the Princess website and click on a specific ship. The abbreviation will be in the URL.

Caribbean Princess?

Then it would be CB. ;)

CP would be Sea Princess.

Are you referring to the Caribbean Princess? If so, the acronym for that one is CB... some of the 2-letter codes can be confusing.

We were on the Caribbean Princess a few years ago, during the summer (peak "kid" season) and we still managed to find many places to "escape completely" and find peace and quiet - there's no need to buy space in the sanctuary to get quiet time.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

The Sanctuary is only a small part of the "adult only" spaces on deck. The Terrace pool at the aft of the ship is adults only, as is the Lotus Pool forward and the deck above and opposite the Sanctuary,all at no extra charge.

On some warm weather cruises The Sanctuary is very difficult to get because it's so popular. My wife has done a couple of $10 half day sessions & enjoyed the comfortable loungers which are more like a mattress. They provide additional services which to some is worth the extra cost...it's just another option for those who enjoy it. There're many other fee-based options onboard which I don't use but it's available for those who enjoy it. Having such options available for others certainly wouldn't be a reason for me to not book any cruise. :rolleyes:

I'll never use The Sanctuary because there are many other places I can go for some peace and quiet. :)

Something smells fishy about your post. This has nothing to do with CP, it's fleet wide with Princess. It's also not new and is pretty common knolwedge among anyone that has done any research or has cruised previosuly at all. If you want free adult only space maybe you would be more comfortable with a different cruise line. There are many different cruise lines that cater to people like yourself who desire more space to yourself and fewer fellow cruisers, even cruises without kids if that's important to you.

Instead of sniping a forum for a cruise line that you aren't interested in and complaining about something that is completely optional and you can choose not participate in you could spend a little time doing research on a vacation you would be more comfortable with.

I agree, it is a pathetic charge.

Sometime it is difficult to find a quiet space. I often go to the aft pool.

Pathetic? really? Can you imagine what it would be like if they didn't charge for it? Without a charge the place would be either overrun with people, which would absolutely defeat the purpose of it in the first place, or it would be impossible to get a reservation and people would complain about that. Princess has no choice but to charge for it or completely remove it.

As with everything, everyone has a choice to keep thier nickles and dimes if they wish. If they want to spend those coins then it's thier choice. I'm always confussed at the complaining...no one is making you choose these options nor are the making you choose Princess. There is a cruise line for just about everyone so please choose the line that fits your needs the best.

Pathetic? really? Can you imagine what it would be like if they didn't charge for it? Without a charge the place would be either overrun with people, which would absolutely defeat the purpose of it in the first place, or it would be impossible to get a reservation and people would complain about that. Princess has no choice but to charge for it or completely remove it.

Yes - I think it is a pathetic charge. Apparently the OP thought so also!

The whole space was empty on my last 3 cruises.

Just use the sanctuary on some days or if you feel especially suicidal after listening to screaming darlings and the drunken sunburned fools. Believe me after being imposed on with that image........20 dollars will be a small price to pay for a little peaceful solice.

On the other days you may be stronger and find yourself among the drunken hoards.;)

Thank goodness I haven't been on any of your cruises! I only have 6 cruises on Princess (with number 7 coming up in less than 3 weeks) to Alaska, Panama Canal, Amazon, Baltic, Caribbean, and the US west coast and have never seen 'drunken sunburned fools', 'drunken hordes', or 'screaming darlings' (although we have avoided school breaks for the most part). We've also never felt the need to pay for the Sanctuary - maybe because we always have a balcony. Even out on deck we've found loungers - usually away from the MUTS pool - or chairs and have been undisturbed. Indoors there are lounges that are quite empty during the day and the libraries.

Something smells fishy about your post. This has nothing to do with CP, it's fleet wide with Princess. It's also not new and is pretty common knolwedge among anyone that has done any research or has cruised previosuly at all. If you want free adult only space maybe you would be more comfortable with a different cruise line. There are many different cruise lines that cater to people like yourself who desire more space to yourself and fewer fellow cruisers, even cruises without kids if that's important to you.

Instead of sniping a forum for a cruise line that you aren't interested in and complaining about something that is completely optional and you can choose not participate in you could spend a little time doing research on a vacation you would be more comfortable with.

As with everything, everyone has a choice to keep thier nickles and dimes if they wish. If they want to spend those coins then it's thier choice. I'm always confussed at the complaining...no one is making you choose these options nor are the making you choose Princess. There is a cruise line for just about everyone so please choose the line that fits your needs the best.

Fishy?? Really?? :eek:

Maybe the OP has a legitimate question.

By the looks of their past cruises in their sig they may not have cruised or be familiar with Princess. :rolleyes:

I agree it would not be possible without some sort of fee.

We've seen the same thing & it's probably only crowded to hot weather destinations such as the Caribbean.

I agree. It is empty space on a ton of sailings (Alaska, Europe, etc....).

Having a week long pass to the Sanctuary was the best part of my cruise on the Grand, I just could not bare the awful Barry Manilow concerts played on that 300 ft screen over The main pool

I got caught by the Barry Manilow concert in May. It cleared out the pool area really quick. Too bad no one from the CD staff was to see it.

Just sad as the space was there before it was a sanctuary and I used to use it for a quiet place. Now if you want that same space you have to pay for it.

Archived