Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

On 2/20/2021 at 6:07 PM, RedHeadTexan said:

Sergers make knits a breeze, but it's mainly for seams and not hems.  

Lisa

My serger has the capability to what it calls a cover stitch. It is a hem stitch. When you look at ready made knits and the hem has two straight lines on the finished side and all those crazy overlapping zigzags on the inside of the garment. It's not easy to do. I suppose if I exerted extreme control over the seams and the hems cut to size and could manage to catch the hem under the zigzags (which is face down on the machine) then it would be cool, but I usually leave the hem long and then have to cut the fabric to the stitching. My cuts aren't usually pretty and it's a nerve wracking cut. How do you finish your hems?

13 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

My serger has the capability to what it calls a cover stitch. It is a hem stitch. When you look at ready made knits and the hem has two straight lines on the finished side and all those crazy overlapping zigzags on the inside of the garment. It's not easy to do. I suppose if I exerted extreme control over the seams and the hems cut to size and could manage to catch the hem under the zigzags (which is face down on the machine) then it would be cool, but I usually leave the hem long and then have to cut the fabric to the stitching. My cuts aren't usually pretty and it's a nerve wracking cut. How do you finish your hems?

My serger does not have a cover stitch.  I have been thing of getting a new serger, this one is 21 years old.  But it sew beautiful.  I don know if my sewing machine  has a stitch that might work like a cover stitch.  It has stretch hem stitch.  It looks like a cover stitch.  It has two stitches and a zigzag stitch connecting them.  I will have to try this stitch on some fabric.

Being I have not sewn on knit fabric.  Just woven fabric what I do for a hem is:

1. I will serge the hem, then fold it over and sew the hen with a straight stitch. I do this when I don't want much bulk on the hem.

2. Fold under 1/4 inch of the fabric and press, then fold the fabric to where I want the hem to be and straight stitch.

3. Buy the hemming lace https://www.joann.com/wrights-flexi-lace-seam-binding-3-4inw-x-3yds/prd34715.html.

I need to expand my skills and try new fabric and patterns.  I get a few patterns and keep doing the same type of clothing.  Of course, different fabrics and a change of a pocket, can make the garment look different.

The cover stitch gives a nice finish to the garments if you can manage to keep the two lines of stitching on the finished side straight. And sometimes I veer off course and when I get round to the beginning of the stitch...on a skirt hem for example...it doesn't meet up well. I don't mind it being off a bit but sometimes I get going crooked and the stitch is straight but not parallel to the hem. I need more practice. I haven't sewn clothing in a long time but am eager to now that I have dedicated space and shouldn't be moving in the near future with the recent home purchase (first time to be home owners again in about 10 years).

I'm feeling the need to make some loose fitting lightweight clothing for gardening. I was out yesterday morning and while I understand that the majority of states in the US would love to be having warmer weather...we didn't get enough cold to do much good with the mosquitoes. 10:00 am and I was being attacked. In February. Doesn't bode well. I have good insect repellent but I was wearing leggings that buggers were landing on my fitted clothes and biting me through the fabric. I'm not down for dosing my everyday clothing in the repellent and so I figure I should get some loose fitting things so that if the stinkers land on my clothes, they don't have easy access to my skin!

I have a nice turquoise gauze that I was thinking for a loose long sleeved shirt. Not sure about the pants though. I don't think I have enough for pants...and I would prefer something stretchy normally, but I don't regularly wear any pants that aren't athletic or athleisure in nature these days.

My serger machine is a Husqvarna. It's over 20 years old. It's a champ. I received it as a Christmas gift when I was pregnant with my son. It has threading diagrams and is very easy to change the thread which I love so much. It will go up to 5 threads. It's quite involved to change it over to a cover stitch...and the threading is totally different...it is smart and I tell it what kind of fabric I'm using and the weight and it tells me the settings to use for all the different tensions. Mom gave it to me...she had been told that I would never need another serger...it's totally true.

5 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

My serger machine is a Husqvarna. It's over 20 years old. It's a champ. I received it as a Christmas gift when I was pregnant with my son. It has threading diagrams and is very easy to change the thread which I love so much. It will go up to 5 threads. It's quite involved to change it over to a cover stitch...and the threading is totally different...it is smart and I tell it what kind of fabric I'm using and the weight and it tells me the settings to use for all the different tensions. Mom gave it to me...she had been told that I would never need another serger...it's totally true.

My serger is a four thread Husqvarna/Viking too.  It is the 910.  Is yours the 915?

11 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

The cover stitch gives a nice finish to the garments if you can manage to keep the two lines of stitching on the finished side straight. And sometimes I veer off course and when I get round to the beginning of the stitch...on a skirt hem for example...it doesn't meet up well. I don't mind it being off a bit but sometimes I get going crooked and the stitch is straight but not parallel to the hem. I need more practice. I haven't sewn clothing in a long time but am eager to now that I have dedicated space and shouldn't be moving in the near future with the recent home purchase (first time to be home owners again in about 10 years).

I'm feeling the need to make some loose fitting lightweight clothing for gardening. I was out yesterday morning and while I understand that the majority of states in the US would love to be having warmer weather...we didn't get enough cold to do much good with the mosquitoes. 10:00 am and I was being attacked. In February. Doesn't bode well. I have good insect repellent but I was wearing leggings that buggers were landing on my fitted clothes and biting me through the fabric. I'm not down for dosing my everyday clothing in the repellent and so I figure I should get some loose fitting things so that if the stinkers land on my clothes, they don't have easy access to my skin!

I have a nice turquoise gauze that I was thinking for a loose long sleeved shirt. Not sure about the pants though. I don't think I have enough for pants...and I would prefer something stretchy normally, but I don't regularly wear any pants that aren't athletic or athleisure in nature these days.

Wow! The   mosquitoes are out.  When I lived on the Space Coast  I never even saw a  mosquitoes).    But each area of the Space Coast is different.  By us they did had mosquitoes control.  I would see their trucks. I did talk to one of the men in the truck once and he told me that they go to the places where they are breeding to kill them there.  Because I never saw them spray anywhere near me.  The Space Coast was a great place to live.  I loved watching the rockets going up.  Going to Old Melbourne etc.

Maria

I would love to look at their clothing for ideas. https://cottonways.com/

These patterns would look great in a gauze fabric.  They are on my wish list to make.

https://somethingdelightful.com/m8098

https://somethingdelightful.com/b6756

https://somethingdelightful.com/m7576  view B

I’m not near by server but a quick look online and I believe mine is Huskylock 936. 

I really like the first pattern with the straight panels on the inner leg and the gathered flounces on the outer leg. Almost looks like a skirt! The one with the flounces all around might be too much fabric between the legs for comfort. Idk. 

I’ve never seen any mosquito control around my neighborhood. When I lived outside Houston we had those digger trucks drive through the two different neighborhoods we lived in. It’s rough business dealing with them. I’ve been researching plants that mosquitoes don’t like and lavender is high on the list which works for me because I love lavender. I’m going to be Incorporating more plants from the list in borders around seating areas in the yard as we create them. It’s a big yard and the sellers didn’t improve it much so basically a blank slate. One of the most appealing selling points for us last May.

20 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I’m not near by server but a quick look online and I believe mine is Huskylock 936. 

I really like the first pattern with the straight panels on the inner leg and the gathered flounces on the outer leg. Almost looks like a skirt! The one with the flounces all around might be too much fabric between the legs for comfort. Idk. 

I’ve never seen any mosquito control around my neighborhood. When I lived outside Houston we had those digger trucks drive through the two different neighborhoods we lived in. It’s rough business dealing with them. I’ve been researching plants that mosquitoes don’t like and lavender is high on the list which works for me because I love lavender. I’m going to be Incorporating more plants from the list in borders around seating areas in the yard as we create them. It’s a big yard and the sellers didn’t improve it much so basically a blank slate. One of the most appealing selling points for us last May.

I never thought of there being too much fabric in the one pants pattern.  but you are right.  It could be bulky.  I think I would also try the pattern with the flounce on the outer leg part.

@geocruiserhave you ever checked out my sewing pattern review? There's only one review of the McCalls 8098 pattern but she gave it 5 stars. I was also able to find that same reviewers blog post with more photos about those pants. I think I have enough fabric to do the pants, so I've ordered the pattern. Thanks so much for posting it!

In a Zoom phone call, I tested a couple fabrics I have...the gauze that I've been wondering what to do with is a bit bright for my coloring, so I'm going to use it for these bottoms. I have some coordinating fabrics that will be much better closer to my face that I'll use for a shirt...once I figure out which shirt. One thing at a time with the sewing for me though...I can overwhelm myself with sewing plans and never get started on anything.

3 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

One thing at a time with the sewing for me though...I can overwhelm myself with sewing plans and never get started on anything.

I am the Queen of buying fabric/notion/patterns and never getting further. Now that I'm done with grad school and not going back to work full time (I kinda like 30 hours/week) I hope to get more accomplished.

5 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I am the Queen of buying fabric/notion/patterns and never getting further. Now that I'm done with grad school and not going back to work full time (I kinda like 30 hours/week) I hope to get more accomplished.

Congrats on finishing grad school! You deserve some time to do something you enjoy. There was a time that I had a closet full of material-the “good intentions” kind. Then one day I bit the bullet, chose a few to keep and the rest of the stash was donated. Still have a LOT of thread, buttons etc. but sewing now is mostly just fixing or altering. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

@geocruiserhave you ever checked out my sewing pattern review? There's only one review of the McCalls 8098 pattern but she gave it 5 stars. I was also able to find that same reviewers blog post with more photos about those pants. I think I have enough fabric to do the pants, so I've ordered the pattern. Thanks so much for posting it!

In a Zoom phone call, I tested a couple fabrics I have...the gauze that I've been wondering what to do with is a bit bright for my coloring, so I'm going to use it for these bottoms. I have some coordinating fabrics that will be much better closer to my face that I'll use for a shirt...once I figure out which shirt. One thing at a time with the sewing for me though...I can overwhelm myself with sewing plans and never get started on anything.

Anita, you certainly have a lot of projects going! Remodeling, gardening and sewing! I admire your ambition!

Sharon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

The fabric I plan to use is what I bought when Hancock went out of business. I have often over bought when any of the stores would have a $0.99 or $1.99 sale on patterns. I buy what I think I want, never get around to making anything and then when I want to make something, the patterns are no longer what I’m really looking for.

Congrats on finishing grad school. Hopefully you will get more time to pursue other interests now.

6 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

There was a time that I had a closet full of material-the “good intentions” kind. Then one day I bit the bullet, chose a few to keep and the rest of the stash was donated. Still have a LOT of thread, buttons etc. but sewing now is mostly just fixing or altering. 

I have moved more fabric stashes from place to place. When we moved from the suburban McMansion in GA to the loft conversion in NC, I made a serious cut in my fabric stash. Now that I have a dedicated room to do whatever I want in again and a good sewing table, I don’t have any excuses. 

Yes, I have a lot going on. Garden, home improvement and adding sewing to what should be regular chores around the house (laundry, cooking, cleaning)...but I don’t have any other obligations on my time with DS out of the house. I’m a bit at loose ends really in a way and so I’m trying to make time to do the things that I have been wanting to do over the years to see what really emerges as my next thing now that I consider myself somewhat retired from the raising and daily caretaking phase of motherhood. We’re always moms but it’s on to a second “career” for me. My dilemma is that I didn’t end up getting a degree in a field that I care to work in. Good knowledge that could be helpful for me and has been over the years but it’s like support knowledge (marketing) for the pursuit that is of primary interest...but I don’t have a primary interest yet.

I had checked the weekly ad for JoAnns and they just had a doorbuster around Valentines Day on McCalls patterns so not sure they would have them on the cheap any time soon. And then it might not be in stock so I ordered the pattern off Etsy. I got a notice that it shipped today! It’ll be here as fast as it can make it through the mail. Yay!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Do you mean patternreview.com?  I saw one review there.  I also get overwhelm and then don't sew anything.  I have lots that I want to make, but to get started.

15 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Congrats on finishing grad school.  What was your degree in?  I remember feeling so good when I got my BS.

Like you, I have so much fabric.  But it does not stop me from buying more.  I did donate a lot of fabric to a church thrift store.  but I still have so much.  I just have to stop shopping in Joann's and shop in my basement.

On 2/23/2021 at 9:59 PM, Anita Latte said:

I have a separate coverstitch machine, the Janome Cover Pro 1000CPX, to do all my hems.  My Juki F600 is the machine that I use for quilting and is a fantastic sewing machine.  I got bored during the pandemic and decided to try making a quilt. I just finished my 4th quilt top, and ready to start working on Christmas quilt gifts.

Lisa

Edited by RedHeadTexan

1 hour ago, RedHeadTexan said:

I have a separate coverstitch machine, the Janome Cover Pro 1000CPX, to do all my hems.  My Juki F600 is the machine that I use for quilting and is a fantastic sewing machine.  I got bored during the pandemic and decided to try making a quilt. I just finished my 4th quilt top, and ready to start working on Christmas quilt gifts.

Lisa

Nice. For the quilt top, did you do one of those sew the strips together and cut and flip and turn and sew the cut pieces together type quilts? I started a quilt like that before DS was born but still haven’t finished it😱

Nevertheless, I bought a Modern Quilting magazine several months ago with just such a pattern on it for a new coverlet for our bed...someday...lol

Having a dedicated cover stitch machine is quite the luxury. Is it the same? The two lines are what you see as you sew and the turned under hem is unseen? Do you trim your hem beforehand? Or do you trim it to the seaming after sewing? Any tips? I know you see a lot with knits.

3 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Nice. For the quilt top, did you do one of those sew the strips together and cut and flip and turn and sew the cut pieces together type quilts? I started a quilt like that before DS was born but still haven’t finished it😱

Nevertheless, I bought a Modern Quilting magazine several months ago with just such a pattern on it for a new coverlet for our bed...someday...lol

Having a dedicated cover stitch machine is quite the luxury. Is it the same? The two lines are what you see as you sew and the turned under hem is unseen? Do you trim your hem beforehand? Or do you trim it to the seaming after sewing? Any tips? I know you see a lot with knits.

I have not tried using the cover stitch for the decorative underside showing on garments.  I mostly hemmed dresses and rompers with it and had the double or triple line stitches showing.  I will have to make some more athletic leggings and try it out.

Lisa

18 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Congrats on finishing grad school! You deserve some time to do something you enjoy. 

10 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Congrats on finishing grad school. Hopefully you will get more time to pursue other interests now.

9 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Congrats on finishing grad school.  What was your degree in?  I remember feeling so good when I got my BS.

Thanks, y'all. I got my master's in Nursing Education. I delayed looking for a job as I don't have any interest in teaching in a virtual world. Not even sure how to teach a hands-on field in a WebEx/Zoom meeting.

And I have increased my spare time and crafting. I'm pretty much done with mask making and am ready to finish setting up my craft/sewing room and start making clothes, plus playing with my Cricut machine.