Is there enough time to have a suit cleaned for the 1st formal night (night 2)?

tiffnco

Hi there,

We are getting ready to start laying out the clothes for next week's cruise and my husband is just about ready to take his suit to the cleaner's so it's ready for the first formal night.

We are planning on purchasing the unlimited laundry...so I'm wondering if there's enough time (or, is the service fast enough) to turn in the suit the day we board and get it back before dinner the next day?

Thanks!

Hi there,

We are getting ready to start laying out the clothes for next week's cruise and my husband is just about ready to take his suit to the cleaner's so it's ready for the first formal night.

We are planning on purchasing the unlimited laundry...so I'm wondering if there's enough time (or, is the service fast enough) to turn in the suit the day we board and get it back before dinner the next day?

Thanks!

Maybe, maybe not. I think if you talk to your room steward nicely maybe he can expedite it for you. I know when my DH sends things out one day he gets it back the next day but I'm betting your first formal night is the first sea day after you board. That means you would have to send it out on embarkation day as soon as you get unpacked. It could be tricky, but go for it, it could work.

On our last cruise, our cabin attendant met us within 10 minutes of getting into our cabin on boarding. He immediately said if we got our formal attire to him by 5pm, it would be back in time for the next night formal dinner. He delivered as promised.

Not sure if this was due to being in a suite.

Let your steward know as soon as you see him.

We use the unlimited package. We sent slacks and a formal shirt out right away. He assured us it would be back. Sure enough, it was delivered early the next morning.

We were not in a suite.

There's a ton of laundry/dry cleaning sent out the first day.

Lots of cruisers do pre-cruise stays in hotels prior to boarding and they arrive with dirty clothes.

You probably should not count on them getting it back to you on time especially if you don't pay the extra 'expedited' amount.

I would get the suit dry cleaned at home and bring it fresh and clean in your suitcase. IMO

The one time I needed to have something dry-cleaned on shipboard was the one time the entire dry-cleaning operation was not functioning for the entire 7-day cruise. Have the suit dry-cleaned before you leave home.

ok - here I go into the fray;) dh wore his very good shirt on the plane for formal night:eek: asked the room steward and he guaranteed we would have it back in plenty of time for the next day - back by 2 pm:):) no charge for express service:)

many formal nights I have been asked by our steward if dh would like his jacket pressed for the night - promised back the same day - we have always said no thank you we are fine.

We have had exceptional service with HAL's laundry & drycleaning service - they know the difference between - here's our clothes from our two day precruise (which does take time) and our 'here's our formal outfit.

don't get me wrong - all our clothes are drycleaned before we arrive - but there is always a time when you need help:) OP - if you are just looking for pressing - that is easily accomplished - just ask your steward

The one time I needed to have something dry-cleaned on shipboard was the one time the entire dry-cleaning operation was not functioning for the entire 7-day cruise. Have the suit dry-cleaned before you leave home.

I was going to post that very thought.

Sorry it happened to you, but glad you beat me to posting it.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Sounds like saving it for the ship is doable...BUT taking a gamble. So, I just need to see if it's a risk we're willing to assume.

At least I feel much more informed now. (And knowing me, will probably be boarding with a freshly-cleaned suit!)

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Sounds like saving it for the ship is doable...BUT taking a gamble. So, I just need to see if it's a risk we're willing to assume.

At least I feel much more informed now. (And knowing me, will probably be boarding with a freshly-cleaned suit!)

Why have to worry about it on board, get it cleaned before you go.

Just back from Nieuw Amsterdam and had no problem. ...Sent two dress shirts for my boys and my tux shirt. I was starting to get nervous and called around 4pm and there was a knock on the door within seconds of me hanging up.

There is as we just did it on Westerdam. Make contact with the room steward IMMEDIATELY upon getting to your room, you'll need to select "Express" service (it's half again as much as the regular item charge for express) and make sure to emphasize with them that you MUST have the suit for "tomorrow's formal night" and they will rush it as quickly as possible.

I think we saw it back in the room right around lunch time. Plenty of time to spare.

Hi there,

Thanks!

I'd be inclined to take care of it before you leave for your cruise. We've never gotten our laundry back that quickly at the beginning of a cruise.

Archived