Question about Back 2 Back Cruises

cruisemama5

We are doing a Back to Back cruise to Alaska. I am wondering, when we reach Seward after the 7 days, do we have to pack our stuff up, disembark and then get back on board? Or will we have the same room. We just have a guarantee room right now and the room has not been posted yet?

No, you won't have to pack. You may or may not get a different cabin for the second cruise, but if you do the stewards will do the bulk of the move. Stuff from closets goes onto rolling racks, and the full drawers will be swapped between cabins.

I'm not sure if you must get off temporarily until the ship is "zeroed down" as it is in Ft Laud, but I suspect you will. In that's the case, it will be just you, not your stuff.

We are doing a Back to Back cruise to Alaska. I am wondering, when we reach Seward after the 7 days, do we have to pack our stuff up, NO disembark and then get back on board? YES Or will we have the same room. MOST LIKELY We just have a guarantee room right now and the room has not been posted yet?

They have to clear the ship so you will have to disembark but only for a short period of time and then you can get right back on. You will likely get the same cabin because they know how disruptive it is to have to move, but even if you do, the room stewards will help you do it. They make it pretty easy.

Have a great 2 week cruise.

We are doing a Back to Back cruise to Alaska. I am wondering, when we reach Seward after the 7 days, do we have to pack our stuff up, disembark and then get back on board? Or will we have the same room. We just have a guarantee room right now and the room has not been posted yet?

You don't have to do anything, just stay on the ship or take off on your own whenever you like or sign up for a shorex. You will be given an intransit card so you can come back to the ship and bypass the line of new pax embarking.

You should have the same cabin, but this is not always a sure thing. Once assigned, you will get an email from HAL saying to look at your account - either one or both cruises will be assigned and you can see if you will need to move. Assignments happen around 15 days out or later.

Have a great cruise!

HAL will make every effort to keep you in the same cabin for both weeks. If they are successful, then you have no packing to do.

If they do assign you to different cabins for each week, the stewards will help you move. They will take the things from your closet on hotel racks, and change out the desk/nightstand drawers.

You will have to pack up anything that's loose on the desk, vanity, and medicine shelves.

Since your turn-around day is in Seward, and you will already have been in the US at the previous port, I don't know if you will be required to disembark and reboard. You will get a letter explaining the procedure in advance of turn-around day.

Have a great time in The Great Land!

They have to clear the ship so you will have to disembark but only for a short period of time and then you can get right back on. You will likely get the same cabin because they know how disruptive it is to have to move, but even if you do, the room stewards will help you do it. They make it pretty easy.

We have done 5 of these back-to-back cruises to Alaska and have never had to disembark. They don't seem to clear the ship in Seward they way they do in other ports.

The last night of your first cruise, you will get a letter detailing breakfast and lunch hours and any instructions of which you need to be aware. You may or may not have to clear Immigration in the terminal and wait until the ship zeros down which means all who are supposed to be leaving the ship have done so. The letter will detail if that is required. If you plan to go off somewhere for the day, it's a non-issue as you would be free to go on your way immediately. If you wanted to reboard, you might have to wait a short while.

In any case, be sure to bring the in transit card ashore with you as that is your pass to bypass the check in lines and reboard after only going through security check, as usual.

B-to-B's are wonderful. Enjoy.

Thank you everyone for all the responses. I am so looking forward to two weeks on a cruise ship. Sounds like it won't be much of a problem at all to switch rooms if we have to. Crossing my fingers that we stay in the same room.

We probably will have to go through customs, as we board in Vancouver. We are hoping to do some sightseeing in Seward.

I did a back to back on the Zaandam this past May/June. Fortunately I did not have to change cabins and I did NOT have to get off the ship. However I did go off to see the Puffins at the SeaLife Centre. It was well worth the price of the admission & there is a free shuttle to take you around Seward. I did have to do the second Safety Drill. Hope you enjoy your cruise on the Zaandam as much as I did.:D:)

I did a back to back on the Zaandam this past May/June. Fortunately I did not have to change cabins and I did NOT have to get off the ship. However I did go off to see the Puffins at the SeaLife Centre. It was well worth the price of the admission & there is a free shuttle to take you around Seward. I did have to do the second Safety Drill. Hope you enjoy your cruise on the Zaandam as much as I did.:D:)

When you booked the cruise(s), were you able to book them together, with one deposit, or did you have to book each separately, with 2 deposits? I haven't seen the 2013 cruise(s) listed as a 14-day cruise yet.

Thanks, Penny:)

Since Costa Concordia, guests must attend boat drill for all segments they sail. Just prior to that event, we did not have to do the second boat drill for our Collectors/ b-to-b cruises.

When you booked the cruise(s), were you able to book them together, with one deposit, or did you have to book each separately, with 2 deposits? I haven't seen the 2013 cruise(s) listed as a 14-day cruise yet.

One deposit for each person. That is one of the nice features of a Collectors over a regular b-to-b.

We have had b-to-b's that we booked and had to place two deposits for each of us. They later converted to a Collector's and they placed our second Future Cruise Deposits back into our accounts for use at another time.

One deposit for each person. That is one of the nice features of a Collectors over a regular b-to-b.

We have had b-to-b's that we booked and had to place two deposits for each of us. They later converted to a Collector's and they placed our second Future Cruise Deposits back into our accounts for use at another time.

There is no listing for the 14 day, Vancouver to Seward this year. You have to buy them separately, northbound and southbound. So, I guess these aren't true "Collectors". We bought after final payment, so I am sure Sail is right about the deposits.

When we did a b2b in Alaska we had to get off the ship and were also issued new cruise cards even though we booked as a 14-day cruise. This was in 2008 on the Veendam. We booked the Kenai Fjords 6-hour cruise independently. It was a great way to spend the day in Seward and I highly recommend it. You can book through the ship but we could leave on an earlier boat by booking ourselves. Since the shp doesn't depart until late, taking this excursion is not a problem.

There is no listing for the 14 day, Vancouver to Seward this year. You have to buy them separately, northbound and southbound. So, I guess these aren't true "Collectors". We bought after final payment, so I am sure Sail is right about the deposits.

Our experiences with future cruise deposits being returned, when we were able to combine our cruises into collectors' cruises, were the same as Sail's.

We bought this as two separate cruises about two weeks ago, so no deposit, just paid for them. I thought that this is what is considered B2B cruises.

We bought this as two separate cruises about two weeks ago, so no deposit, just paid for them. I thought that this is what is considered B2B cruises.

Sometimes two or more b2b cruises are combined to make a "Collector's Cruise". There is only one deposit, there is sometimes a small price cut, and it only requires one future cruise credit. On our Alaska b2b (they didn't call them Collector's Cruises back then) we saved about $200pp by booking both cruises. There was a single booking number but we had a separate cruise card for each segment.

On a Collector's Cruise, we've always had one ID card for both segments.

In cases where it is b-to-b, we get a new card for the second segment.

We have one Collector's booked right now and one b-to-b. They often convert the b-to-b to a Collector's at some point prior to final payment. When that happens, we have gotten a small discount and what was two confirmation numbers converts to a single confirmation.

I had 2 booking nbrs, 2 deposits. You probably won't ever see it listed as a 14 day cruise. :)

In cases where it is b-to-b, we get a new card for the second segment.

We also did a back to back Alaska in May this year.

We had the same cabin for the second leg.

No change in cabin cards.

No compulsory disembark.

No closing of account.

For us, Seward was just another stop in the itinerary.

You will get a letter a couple of day's prior, and they will schedule a meeting with the other back to back passengers. At this meeting, with free drinks and snacks, everything will be explained.

Well, there you go. HAL inconsistency.

We've probably done about 25+ b-to-b's through the years........

But never one in Alaska.

Ours have been FLL as turnaround and Montreal.

What happens regarding luggage if the cruises are not back to back/collectors? We are on a Caribbean cruise - then straight onto a trans Atlantic the same day. We're not in the same cabin - and the 2 cruises were booked separately through different agents.

Until reading this thread, I'd just imagined we'd have to pack everything up and disembark properly. Then check baggage in again etc. It would be wonderful if this could be simplified.

Another question - we'll become 4 star mariners during the Caribbean cruise. What are our chances of being able to enjoy the perks on the TA leg? It normally takes a while for all the paper work to catch up.

Thanks for all the helpful information - life is so much easier with CC help.

What happens regarding luggage if the cruises are not back to back/collectors? We are on a Caribbean cruise - then straight onto a trans Atlantic the same day. We're not in the same cabin - and the 2 cruises were booked separately through different agents.

Until reading this thread, I'd just imagined we'd have to pack everything up and disembark properly. Then check baggage in again etc. It would be wonderful if this could be simplified.

Another question - we'll become 4 star mariners during the Caribbean cruise. What are our chances of being able to enjoy the perks on the TA leg? It normally takes a while for all the paper work to catch up.

Thanks for all the helpful information - life is so much easier with CC help.

The cabin stewards will help you pack up your belongings and move to the second cabin.

If you ask the Front Desk about your four star status earned on the Caribbean part, they may set it up so you can get the benefits on the TA. Hope so!

Have a wonderful cruise!

If you are moving to a new cabin after the first cruise, the stewards will help.

The will bring a rolling clothes rack for you to hang all the clothes from your closest. All the drawers are interchangeable. Leave your things in them and they will swap them out. You will have to pack/toss in an empty suitcase all the things you have on counters or in the bathroom.

Speak with the steward from your first cruise as well as the one where you are moving a few days in advance and co-ordinate with them about your move.

Keep in mind, they have a huge amount of work that day getting all the cabins ready for the newly boarding guests. The more flexible you are with their work schedule, the better it will be for all. :)

If this is, indeed, two separate cruises, the Four Star Mariner benefits should accrue to you as of day one of your second cruise. You will have achieved the new level on the cruise before. Check with the office and advocate for yourself a teeny bit if necessary. ;) The rules are supposed to be you begin to get the benefits on the first cruise after you have achieved the new star level.

Have a GREAT time.

Archived