Anti-Bacterial Soap

On a recent trip I had to throw my sanitizer away due to airline regulations. I loved the fact that there were sanitizing stations all over the ship, but something came to mind.....is the bar soap that they give you in your cabin anti bacterial? There is not anything on the package that says, just something that I was wondering; the noro virus broke out so it made me a little more curious. Hopefully someone can clarify! :)

....is the bar soap that they give you in your cabin anti bacterial?

No, the soap provided is not anti-bacterial.

Just a note, you do not require anti-bacterial soap to cleanse your hands. Use soap and warm water, lather up for 20 seconds, rinse well, towel off and use the paper towel to both turn off the tap and open the door (if you are in a public rest room).

If you feel you need it, you should pack your own. :)

To wash your hands humm or sing if you are comfortable "Happy Birthday". That is the time required to thoroughly wash your hands. Unless of course you sing it like Marilyn Monroe where by then you could probably take a bath.:rolleyes:

Anti-bacterial concoctions are why we have so many "auto-immune" diseases....just use plain soap and water. We are not giving our bodies a chance to use their natural immune systems...so our immune systems turn on ourselves! STOP with the super-cleanliness! You can NEVER be germ-free...ever! Let your immune system work! Just wash with regular soap/detergent and water. That's all you need! Humans are NOT as "dirty" as you think!

As a former OSHA compliance trainer, I can verify that anti-bacterial soap is not necessary... the use of the same soap can actually cause some germs to become resistant to soaps.

It is the hot water and friction caused by thoroughly rubbing your hands that kills germs. The type of soap doesn't really matter.

It is recommend that you rotate soaps on a regular basis to avoid pathogen resistance.

Hand sanitizer (such as purell) actually kills rotavirus much better that it kills norovirus.

I laugh at people all the time for overusing hand sanitizer. They have a place, no doubt, but relying on them solely before eating, etc. is not a smart move. You are more or less, covering up the pathogen instead of eliminating them.

I could go on and on... in all honesty, there are probably more germs on the tongs and spoons in Windjammer (and doorknobs, elevator buttons, remote controls, keyboards) than there is on the toilet seat in the bathroom by the pool.

I'm getting off of my "soap" box now... :D

Anti-bacterial concoctions are why we have so many "auto-immune" diseases....just use plain soap and water. We are not giving our bodies a chance to use their natural immune systems...so our immune systems turn on ourselves! STOP with the super-cleanliness! You can NEVER be germ-free...ever! Let your immune system work! Just wash with regular soap/detergent and water. That's all you need! Humans are NOT as "dirty" as you think!

Yep! Even our intestinal tract has bacteria.... you get rid of that and you WILL get sick!!!

Looks like the majority of cruise passengers are catching on with the soap/sanitizer thing.

I actually got a dirty look last cruise for not using the hand sanitizer. This snooty individual gave me a look like "how dare you not use this stuff"

No, they're not. Auto-immune diseases (no quotes--no implication that they're not "real" illnesses or some modern invention!) have been around for centuries. They were around long, long before any notion of anti-bacterial anything came about. Auto-immune conditions have many causes, none of which involve being too clean. Sadly, those who do have one or more must be more cautious about exposure to germs, but only after they become ill, not before.

However, I completely agree that the anti-bacterial craze is too much, especially things like anti-bacterial soap. All that does is (1) kill good bacteria and (2) lead to super bugs from the bad bacteria that isn't killed. I'm a big fan of washing hands as often as necessary with plain old soap and warm water. We should never want to be germ free because we need bacteria (the good ones) in order to survive.

beachchick

I was in a restaurant along I-95 once and observed a mother with her children in the bathroom. Once they were done taking care of business they all clustered around Mom while she squirted anti-bac gel into their hands - never mind that there was a sink and soap right next to them:eek:

I used to work for a company that makes a fortune selling anti-bac products and let me tell you this - nothing that is anti-bacterial sets foot in my house!:p Good old fashioned soap and water for my family and lots of bleach for cleaning!;)

It's a well know fact that if you use hot water (as hot as you can stand), soap and sing happy birthday to yourself (unless you want strange looks) your hands will be completely rid of any germs. Kills em dead. This is what is commonly taught in food safety courses.

Well, anti-bacterial agents are ONE of the reasons we're having trouble with super-germs and stronger viruses these days.

However, OP, if you really feel that you need this product, bring a bar instead of liquid.

It's a well know fact that if you use hot water (as hot as you can stand), soap and sing happy birthday to yourself (unless you want strange looks) your hands will be completely rid of any germs. Kills em dead. This is what is commonly taught in food safety courses.

I'd actually love some clarification about this. I had thought that a good hand washing kills germs, but then I read a report about it that said good hand washing literally washes the germs off the hands. I suspect it's some of both; I just don't know for sure. (This is a serious question, although I suppose I could do a web search and find out for sure. Just thought you might have some information.)

beachchick

When traveling the world, the restrooms, well many, are not to most American Standards, with hot water and soap Maybe, and even a working toilet. When one has to go, you have to go, most of us OLDER people are that way, so any restroom is a great one. Now this is where antibacterial hand santizers help, or at least make you feel like you have done all you can do to stay healthy.

The OP said TSA took her hand sanitizer, I wonder what size it was, I always have a small bottle attached to my carry on and never questioned. I do know that some airports seem to have different rules.

The OP said TSA took her hand sanitizer, I wonder what size it was, I always have a small bottle attached to my carry on and never questioned. I do know that some airports seem to have different rules.

It must have been a larger bottle, over the 3 oz. rule (3.4 oz/100 ml.) United States airports are governed by the same body, the TSA. There can't be different rules in each airport - that presents no consistency.

Smaller travel bottles are available at any drug store, but I like the small ones Bath and Body Works sells - they smell great and are frequently on sale. :)

Archived