Celebrity Survey re: The Alcoves

ThursdaysChild

I just got an email from Celebrity's market research company asking me to comment on The Alcoves on Silhouette. I took the survey (took 4 minutes) and gave them my feedback as to why I was unlikely to book The Alcoves, even at a reduced price for sea days. Anyone else get this?

I just got an email from Celebrity's market research company asking me to comment on The Alcoves on Silhouette. I took the survey (took 4 minutes) and gave them my feedback as to why I was unlikely to book The Alcoves, even at a reduced price for sea days. Anyone else get this?

Just filled out the short survey. Told them in no uncertain terms that I would never book one. Too expensive. Not private, since they face the public areas. They don't even face the sea or ocean. They probably won't ask me again.

I have no idea what the Alcoves are but I really would love to adopt your adorable, beautiful dachsy! ;)

We did the cabanas on HAL which is similar to the Alcoves except you had a sea view.

We booked one for both sea days and were sorry we did. It was a nice private area, but we actually were bored up there.

We like to sit in a shaded area so that is why we booked them, but would never do this type of thing again.

Barbara

Just returned from Silhouette. Alcoves are not a good idea of Celebrity:mad:. No one used them. Using Lawn is mostly limited to the Alcoves. Liked Solstice better in this way. Free lawn for all:)

We didn't get the survey but if I had, I'd have told them in no uncertain terms to NOT put them on the Reflection!!! The Solstice doesn't have them. All that lovely open space on the lawn is too good to ruin with Alcoves. We were docked in Venice directly opposite the Silhouette and I got a gander at how the Alcoves work as a "fence" to close in the lawn. It made me doubly grateful that they weren't on the Solstice (and I hope they never will be).

Hi,

Having just got back from the Silhouette all I can say is that the Alcoves are a waste of time. Too expensive, not private at all (it's a bit like being in a gold fish bowl) And like someone else mentioned they don't even look out to sea.

Hi Everyone,

I haven't received the survey, but I believe the Alcoves are an excellent idea in theory, and I'd love to try them. However, I feel the current arrangement would probably make me pass. I have 3 concerns :

1. Too expensive for what's offered. Would love to see discounts offered for Captains Club members. The higher the level, the greater the discount. I'd also offer pre-booking for Elite members, and additional perks - i.e. complimentary internet time, complimentary lunch at the Lawn Club Grill and/or The Porch.

2. As mentioned by others, I feel it doesn't makes sense for the Alcoves to face away from the ocean. Why ??? Guests have no privacy, and who wouldn't want to look at the sea ?

3. Lastly, I cannot understand why lounge chairs are not an option. Personally, I wouldnt want to sit on a chair. I'd want to be more comfortable. If they do not care to make loungers the default set up ? Fine, but they should be available upon request.

IMO, the Alcoves would be far more successful, if they made at least some (or all) of the above changes.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Liesa;

Celebrity didn't send me a survey(yet), but if they did, I would reply like you did. The alcoves are an interesting idea, but they aren't turned towards the ocean, afford no privacy, and are too expensive. They definitely need to rethink the concept, because it's good in theory, but poor in execution.

geri

I think I'm in the minority on this one but I booked one for our upcoming 7-day on the Reflection. We have never been on a ship with them so have yet to experience one so with that said, I booked one anyway.

However, like others have said, I have NO idea why they would build them facing away from the ocean. Honestly, I'm at a loss why they would do this. It just makes no sense to me. But...I booked one anyway. :)

I have no idea what the Alcoves are but I really would love to adopt your adorable, beautiful dachsy! ;)

Thank you; my baby's name is Heidi, she is a dapple smooth, and she is a diva and totally loveable. I work with dachshund rescue at times..plenty of loving dachsie boys and girls who need a home (hint, hint!). I fostered one poor 10 yr old boy who's owner died or went into a nursing home & relatives just turned that dog out onto the streets of the Bronx late November. Fortunately, Animal Control picked him up after some time on the mean streets and one of the Dachshund Rescue groups called me to foster him. He is now in his fur-ever home :)

The Alcoves: let's just call them a waste of space on the Lawn on Silhouette.

I have no interest in booking them regardless of price. We book nice large cabins with large balconies for the privacy and use of the balcony. For the survey to go out, they must not be selling well.

I've sailed on Silhouette twice, and never saw a single person in the Alcoves. And nearly every post and/or review I have read here re Silhouette and the Alcoves says the same thing: empty, expensive, facing the wrong way, waste of space. Celebrity reads this board, and they know that the Alcoves are empty every sailing, so Yes, I think they're getting the picture.

Hi Liesa;

Celebrity didn't send me a survey(yet), but if they did, I would reply like you did. The alcoves are an interesting idea, but they aren't turned towards the ocean, afford no privacy, and are too expensive. They definitely need to rethink the concept, because it's good in theory, but poor in execution.

geri

Geri, have you been on one of the S-class yet with the Lawn? Lovely to hang out up there on a warm day...for free. The Alcoves cut back opn available space for that as well. You're right, good theory, poor execution.

I think I'm in the minority on this one but I booked one for our upcoming 7-day on the Reflection. We have never been on a ship with them so have yet to experience one so with that said, I booked one anyway.

However, like others have said, I have NO idea why they would build them facing away from the ocean. Honestly, I'm at a loss why they would do this. It just makes no sense to me. But...I booked one anyway. :)

Oh no, they're putting them on Reflection as well? Ugh!:mad:

I'd be interested in your reaction to them once you've tried them out.

:)

Thank you; my baby's name is Heidi, she is a dapple smooth, and she is a diva and totally loveable. I work with dachshund rescue at times..plenty of loving dachsie boys and girls who need a home (hint, hint!). I fostered one poor 10 yr old boy who's owner died or went into a nursing home & relatives just turned that dog out onto the streets of the Bronx late November. Fortunately, Animal Control picked him up after some time on the mean streets and one of the Dachshund Rescue groups called me to foster him. He is now in his fur-ever home :)

The Alcoves: let's just call them a waste of space on the Lawn on Silhouette.

Our daughter is looking for a dachsy rescue and is registered on a site to get notifications when one comes up in her area(Wilmington DE). We have always had long hairs both minis and standards but now travel too much to have one so she is taking over. Give Heidi a hug for me. :)

Received and completed the survey yesterday. The questions lead me to believe the Alcoves aren't as popular as X anticipated they would be and the bean counters are trying to figure out if that's a response to the concept itself or to the price. I'm guessing we'll soon see the price drop and if that doesn't increase interest (and revenue!), the Alcoves may disappear.

Received and completed the survey yesterday. The questions lead me to believe the Alcoves aren't as popular as X anticipated they would be and the bean counters are trying to figure out if that's a response to the concept itself or to the price. I'm guessing we'll soon see the price drop and if that doesn't increase interest (and revenue!), the Alcoves may disappear.

And good riddance to them! May they take those silly oversized adirondack chairs with them when they (hopefully) disappear. How about chairs we can actually sit in?

Geri, have you been on one of the S-class yet with the Lawn? Lovely to hang out up there on a warm day...for free. The Alcoves cut back opn available space for that as well. You're right, good theory, poor execution.

Liesa I haven't had the pleasure of sailing S class yet, and that lawn looks yummy in all the photos I've seen! Bugless picnics on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean sound like a blast!:D I like the cabana look and feel of the alcoves, but with no lounge chairs available, they don't utilize the space efficiently...along with having no ocean view!! Why not have some kind of see through(semi opaque) net(with maybe an option of a folding screen for more privacy)"wall" openings that hang facing towards the ocean and the Lawn? it gives the option of tailor making the view(either facing out to the ocean or in towards the grass). When not in use, the curtain "walls" can be opened, so that the view of the ocean can still be enjoyed by everyone on the grass.

Your Heidi is so precious and adorable! We've been thinking about adopting another dog, as shelter and rescue pets are the best friends ever(we put our Ruffi to sleep after 16 wonderful years)about 3 years ago, but I'm not sure if we're ready yet. She definitely has the diva gene Ruffi had...I can see it in her camera pose(the "Of course you want to take my picture, everyone does!" look):cool: