Considering Riviera.....

koko's_mom

There was a similar discussion on the Regent boards when Regent introduced the Concierge level with special "perks". At that time, and again now, I compare this to the choice one makes when flying: Some prefer to save money for other things and fly economy with no lounge access, not much choice of meals, and probably (inthe US anyway) no free drinks. Others prefer to pay for flat beds, lounge access and reasonable choices in food.

If you buy an economy ticket you do not expect to have a flat bed... conversely, if you buy a Business or First class ticket you expect better seating and food and service. Personally I think this is the same on cruise ships. you pay more - you get/expect more...

I agree that there is often added value/amenities when one pays more for a product or service, and we have a choice as to whether we can or want to pay a premium (sometimes we fly coach, sometimes business class). My intention was not to complain or question what amenities are added to each cabin category, but rather to get a sense of the overall tone of Oceania through the eyes of it's passengers. Thanks for the input.

I have no problem with people paying more to get more square footage or the perk of having a butler to serve them in their suite. But, when it comes to dining in a public space, I think it should be first come, first served.

I have no problem with people paying more to get more square footage or the perk of having a butler to serve them in their suite. But, when it comes to dining in a public space, I think it should be first come, first served.

As it indeed is - both in the MDR and the Terrace Cafe.

Surely you are not suggesting first come/first served in the specialty restaurants (which are free and guaranteed for everyone).

You would either have to stand in a very long line (remember, the table turn-over is about 1 1/2 hrs at best) or people would start to line up an hour before opening (in absence of prior reservations).

Neither of these is very appealing to me - it works very well as is :)

I am also puzzled. What makes you think that it is NOT first come, first served?

If you mean that the higher priced cabins get more opportunities at the outset for the specialty restaurants, that doesn't mean that people in lower priced cabins won't get them once they are on board. That often happens. Once you have used your allotted reservations, it IS first come, first served for extras.

It's not as if people standing in line for a table at GDR are told to wait while someone in a suite bumps the line.

Are we misunderstanding you?

Mura

As it indeed is - both in the MDR and the Terrace Cafe.

Surely you are not suggesting first come/first served in the specialty restaurants (which are free and guaranteed for everyone).

You would either have to stand in a very long line (remember, the table turn-over is about 1 1/2 hrs at best) or people would start to line up an hour before opening (in absence of prior reservations).

Neither of these is very appealing to me - it works very well as is :)

No. I was thinking that the online reservations should be open to everyone on the same date.

If you mean that the higher priced cabins get more opportunities at the outset for the specialty restaurants, that doesn't mean that people in lower priced cabins won't get them once they are on board. That often happens. Once you have used your allotted reservations, it IS first come, first served for extras.

Mura

I just think that everyone should be able to access the online reservations at the 90 day mark. It won't ruin my experience or anything. It's just my opinion. Thanks for your polite replies. :)

Okay, I can see that. As it is now, the suite passengers could pre-book the prime times before the non-suite passengers have an opportunity to book. I don't think that's likely but it certainly is possible.

And I can see where the suite passengers get more reservations than the less expensive cabins, so why not let everyone book at the same time.

(I've said before that even though we are usually in a suite -- or at least concierge -- I'm not really comfortable with these differences. So we don't really disagree on this score.)

But if they did open up more reservations to online booking before the cruise, then they might have to reduce the number ... because there are plenty of Oceania passengers who are not computer literate. And they DO have to wait until boarding to make a reservation (unless they ask a TA to do so but not everyone has a TA or thinks to ask the TA to make dinner reservations).

Mura

P.S. I've been thinking about this as I wrote ... in fact, until relatively recently no one could book the restaurants until the day we boarded. Suite passengers could use their butlers to make the reservations, and no doubt had an advantage there. But you just went to the Maitre d' on the first day and made your reservations. As a suite passenger, I would be happy to go back to this system. Lots of people use all their permitted reservations and want even more ... but we tend not to use them all. And I remain uncomfortable at these kinds of advantages.

No. I was thinking that the online reservations should be open to everyone on the same date.

I see what you mean.

Well, I think this also falls under "you get what you pay for" category.

Those that paid more (often MUCH more) will and should have first choice of times and dates.

The important thing is that everyone is guaranteed their allotment of reservation in the specialty restaurants and frequently more reservations once onboard. It all works out in the end. We are usually in the veranda category (lowest and last to pick) and we've never had any problems at all.

JMO.

I just think that everyone should be able to access the online reservations at the 90 day mark. It won't ruin my experience or anything. It's just my opinion. Thanks for your polite replies. :)

I think you will have seen by now that I at least do NOT disagree with you!

I did like it better when everyone had to wait until boarding to make the reservations. (But that doesn't mean I don't take advantage of my perks to book early, especially if on Marina or Riviera.) It doesn't matter so much to US if we are on an "R" ship.

It should be a benefit now that suite passengers can order from a specialty restaurant and dine in their suites. That must free up a number of tables for other people to get a table in the restaurants. We took advantage of this opportunity in a Vista on Marina last fall ... I don't know that we will do so on a PH on Regatta because the PH is so much smaller. But we may. At least we can have dinner in our jammies if we wish!

Mura

Since I am the original poster of this thread' date=' I am going take the liberty of saying: aren't we fortunate to have these "problems"? :)[/quote']

Isn't that the truth!

I keep replaying our O cruise...wishing that I could share the experience with so many friends who have never been on one. It truly is an amazing thing.

I noticed that the concierge level and above do get a separate line for processing their boarding information which is shorter than the other lines. In Miami they pass out numbers which are called so that one does not need to stand in a very long line. Other than the usual amenities given in the upper cabins and extra reservations for the specialty restaurants there is no difference.

You will enjoy the wonderful food, shows and service. Don't worry!

I see what you mean.

The important thing is that everyone is guaranteed their allotment of reservation in the specialty restaurants and frequently more reservations once onboard. It all works out in the end. We are usually in the veranda category (lowest and last to pick) and we've never had any problems at all.

JMO.

Good to hear--thanks!

When we arrived before noon to board for a PH suite, the suite line was much longer than the line for lower cabins because PH has the earlier boarding time listed on the cruise-docs.

The agent directed us to the non-concierge line because it would be quicker;)

We are sailing on Riveira in August in a lower cabin, we have just been allowed to book our speciality restaurants, 1 booking in each.

We got each restaurant at the time and date we wanted.

Very pleased with the outcome.

Now all we need is to enjoy Oceania.

JimandStan....I did not say that there were not distinctions between cabin classes on Crystal' date=' I just feel some of the "added amenities" are much more obvious on the Oceania website versus Crystal. Once a passenger pays in full for a Crystal cruise they have access to making dining reservations along with shore excursions and enrichment classes. I was simply asking for past Oceania passengers opinion because I feel it is a great source of information....I already know how I feel about Crystal.[/quote']

I too appreciate the insights from Mura. Some months ago, I ruminated here about taking an O cruise and I listed our brief cruise history: 1 Regent; 4 Seabourn. I was immediately challenged as to whether I was another typical Seabourn snob who would announce at every turn the myriad ways in which Seabourn was superior. No doubt there are a few SB types who fit that profile--folks who would opt to wear a tux for breakfast, even if served in their suite--but most aren't (Anyway, writers are too poor to be snobs.) In any case, we booked the Riviera sailing on January 13th, and are looking forward to it. One of the major attractions of Riviera (for us) is the multiple restaurants.

However, at least superficially, it does seem that O is a bit more class conscious that SB. The latter makes no distinction whatsoever between suite/price and on board options. You get exactly the same service regardless of whether you're in a V1 or the Owner's suite. (Well, since the occupant there is probably a really heavy tipper, maybe...)

Still, Oceania offers a significantly lower per diem. And so long as I don't have to pull on my forelock, I shall not mount a table in the mdr and yell, "To the barricades!"

Not that She Who Must Be Obeyed would let me, of course.

I too appreciate the insights from Mura. Some months ago, I ruminated here about taking an O cruise and I listed our brief cruise history: 1 Regent; 4 Seabourn. I was immediately challenged as to whether I was another typical Seabourn snob who would announce at every turn the myriad ways in which Seabourn was superior. No doubt there are a few SB types who fit that profile--folks who would opt to wear a tux for breakfast, even if served in their suite--but most aren't (Anyway, writers are too poor to be snobs.) In any case, we booked the Riviera sailing on January 13th, and are looking forward to it. One of the major attractions of Riviera (for us) is the multiple restaurants.

However, at least superficially, it does seem that O is a bit more class conscious that SB. The latter makes no distinction whatsoever between suite/price and on board options. You get exactly the same service regardless of whether you're in a V1 or the Owner's suite. (Well, since the occupant there is probably a really heavy tipper, maybe...)

Still, Oceania offers a significantly lower per diem. And so long as I don't have to pull on my forelock, I shall not mount a table in the mdr and yell, "To the barricades!"

Not that She Who Must Be Obeyed would let me, of course.

I believe that you will be very happy and satisfied with your choice to try the Riviera - and who knows, you may never want to go back to Seabourn? :D

LEESRE, thank you for posting your experience with making dining reservations....When it comes down to it, the country club casual ambiance is attractive to us. We have certainly enjoyed the formal evenings on our Crystal voyages (at least I have, since I think my husband looks so great in his tux :D).....but we are definitely more of the "casual, dine when you want" type when at home. We could very well end up dining al fresco at the Terrace Cafe most nights!

Writer100...I have decided the specific cruise line boards are in general very protective of their chosen line or ship. I contemplated my original posting knowing I might get called out, but I wanted to get a feel for things from fellow passengers. I guess it comes down to doing some research, making a decision, and then going in with a blank slate and open mind. We really enjoy a lot of what Crystal has given us, and I think we will really enjoy Oceania as well.

However, at least superficially, it does seem that O is a bit more class conscious that SB. The latter makes no distinction whatsoever between suite/price and on board options. You get exactly the same service regardless of whether you're in a V1 or the Owner's suite.

According to the Seabourn website, the following on-board options and services are provided in premium cabins only:

"An invitation from the Master for a bridge visit during entry or departure from a port.

A personal visit from the Hotel Manager.

Fresh orchids or potpourri in your bathroom.

All-natural Molton Brown bath and beauty products including Pure Pampering bath oils.

A large basket of succulent tropical fruits.

High-quality bathrobes, soft and luxurious.

Free Internet service.

A large bouquet of fresh flowers when you embark.

A convenient espresso machine with a variety of coffees in your suite.

Free private car airport transfers.*

A choice of daily newspapers delivered to your suite.

Wellness Bag exercise kit containing easy-to-carry workout gear."

http://www.seabourn.com/luxury-cruise-vacation-onboard/Suites.action

According to the Seabourn website, the following on-board options and services are provided in premium cabins only:

"An invitation from the Master for a bridge visit during entry or departure from a port.

A personal visit from the Hotel Manager.

Fresh orchids or potpourri in your bathroom.

All-natural Molton Brown bath and beauty products including Pure Pampering bath oils.

A large basket of succulent tropical fruits.

High-quality bathrobes, soft and luxurious.

Free Internet service.

A large bouquet of fresh flowers when you embark.

A convenient espresso machine with a variety of coffees in your suite.

Free private car airport transfers.*

A choice of daily newspapers delivered to your suite.

Wellness Bag exercise kit containing easy-to-carry workout gear."

http://www.seabourn.com/luxury-cruise-vacation-onboard/Suites.action

Hardly surprising.

Technically, writer 100 said " SB makes no distinction whatsoever between suite/price and on board options. You get exactly the same service regardless of whether you're in a V1 or the Owner's suite."

While he/she said you get the same service, I believe they implied there was NO distinction in any category. So, writer 100 is correct in saying they ALL receive the same service (just like you do at Oceania) but obviously not the same amenities (just like at Oceania).

Thus - the more they are different, the more they are alike :D

Hardly surprising.

Technically, writer 100 said " SB makes no distinction whatsoever between suite/price and on board options. You get exactly the same service regardless of whether you're in a V1 or the Owner's suite."

While he/she said you get the same service, I believe they implied there was NO distinction in any category. So, writer 100 is correct in saying they ALL receive the same service (just like you do at Oceania) but obviously not the same amenities (just like at Oceania).

Thus - the more they are different, the more they are alike :D

I appreciate your areement as to additional amenities and options in Seabourn premium cabins, but I don't agree that the writer is right even as to service, or maybe it's a matter of semantics. Is free internet service, a service or an amenity? How about a personal visit from the "hotel manager?" Sounds more like a service than an amenity? Regardless, it's clear that Seabourn premium customers receive significantly more than Seabourn non-premium customers, as they should.

I appreciate your areement as to additional amenities and options in Seabourn premium cabins, but I don't agree that the writer is right even as to service, or maybe it's a matter of semantics. Is free internet service, a service or an amenity? How about a personal visit from the "hotel manager?" Sounds more like a service than an amenity? Regardless, it's clear that Seabourn premium customers receive significantly more than Seabourn non-premium customers, as they should.

I agree with you.

I consider free internet an amenity/perk, but I could be wrong.

Under "same service" I understand it to be in everyday service such as in the dining venues, room service, bar service, etc - i.e. everyone is treated equally by the staff regardless of their cabin category.

That part is true for both companies.

everyone is treated equally by the staff regardless of their cabin category.

That part is true for both companies.

I have never traveled on Seabourn. But, I agree as to O.

Archived