Access to gym on turnaround day

AKman2495

We are taking a 17 day repositioning cruise in Sept. We will land in LA which is really a disembarkation day for the 3 day costal cruse that is being sold.

My question is is there access to the gym on such a day for the in transit passengers?

Absolutely not, Bill. You are mistaken on this one. You cannot use the gym on turnaround day. They lock it up and don't reopen it until they do their "tours" after/during embarkation of the new passengers.

We do lots of B2B's and never has any ship allowed access.

When they were flipping the Coral there was a note in the patter it was open from 6-10 AM then closed for the remainder of the day.

I have never been able to gain access on any turnaround day. Will be on the

Coral in October, but not for B2B. Recent B2B's have been Caribbean, Diamond and Grand; all in 2012. No access on any of them.

Might make more sense on the coral, with their itinerary there are very few back to backs on the same ship, so opening it for lesser counts of people could be easier... (This was in AK 2009). Or it may be CD/Fitness center discretion. Wouldn't be the first time Princess was inconsistent.

I didn't notice what the Island did last year.

I have never been able to gain access on any turnaround day. Will be on the

Coral in October, but not for B2B. Recent B2B's have been Caribbean, Diamond and Grand; all in 2012. No access on any of them.

I'll be on the Coral and I would like to work out before 10 so, it might just work out. If it does, I'll let you know in about 2 1/2 months :D

Good luck. Anyone who knows me also knows we go to the gym every morning (barring early shorex departures). Thinking back to the Coral, the only time we did a B2B was in 2009 when we did 8 days land from Fairbanks and then B2B from Whittier to LA to FLL. No. The gym was not open. I just looked back at my notes.

we have seen it both ways... normally when we do b2b on the Emerald in the Caribbean each year it is closed in the AM and not open until around 4ish if I remember.

But I have found whenever we have done coastals and then continued on (did Panama twice this way, and Mexico once) the gym was open. Also this past February we were on the Star for South America and on turnaround day in Valpariso we saw people working out in there as i went around and took pics, but then again about 70% of the passengers were staying on.

vickie

It was important to note all of the spa/shower/thermal suite areas were closed. You had to enter the gym on the Coral via the forward doors (what is now the lower level of the sanctuary) everything else was locked up. So only exercise machines were available.

That may have an impact, if those areas cannot be isolated.

Good luck. Anyone who knows me also knows we go to the gym every morning (barring early shorex departures). Thinking back to the Coral, the only time we did a B2B was in 2009 when we did 8 days land from Fairbanks and then B2B from Whittier to LA to FLL. No. The gym was not open. I just looked back at my notes.

Gots to work off those TimTams, huh, Pia?:)

LOL. I think it's been more than a year since I've had one. I certainly won't buy them.

They had them in unlimited quantity on a recent Cathay Pacific flight that I was on. I thought of you and Eileen and had a little chuckle!

Absolutely not, Bill. You are mistaken on this one. You cannot use the gym on turnaround day. They lock it up and don't reopen it until they do their "tours" after/during embarkation of the new passengers.

We do lots of B2B's and never has any ship allowed access.

I agree. I was on a B2B in March on the Sapphire and the doors were closed to the Spa that morning. Fortunately, the door wasn't locked, so I went in anyway and had a nice workout all by myself. At least two Princess employees came through, but didn't say anything. I figured the most that would happen is that I would be asked to leave. My workouts are a pretty important part of my cruise experience, so I think it was worth breaking the rules.

• 4 months later...

Just off the Grand b2b and wanted to let everyone know that we had no problem going to the gym at 7:00am on turnaround day. The doors were partially closed but not locked and shortly after we entered another few passengers also came in to work out. Perhaps this changes ship to ship...

Whilst on these 'tours', in the afternoon, I have seen people using the gym.

Just off the Grand b2b and wanted to let everyone know that we had no problem going to the gym at 7:00am on turnaround day. The doors were partially closed but not locked and shortly after we entered another few passengers also came in to work out. Perhaps this changes ship to ship...

Whilst on these 'tours', in the afternoon, I have seen people using the gym.

Thanks for the current info. We are on the Grand for 49 days end of January; 3 B2B's and this will be very welcome during our turnaround days. Hope it lasts.

Things change ... but it was open on our "turn around" day on Island. I know because my DH insisted I go with him to weigh. :rolleyes: He always thinks I'm too thin and might have lost weight. (I'm NOT. 110 is fine for my size.)People were using the exercise machines.

LuLu

~~~~

Things change ... but it was open on our "turn around" day on Island. I know because my DH insisted I go with him to weigh. :rolleyes: He always thinks I'm too thin and might have lost weight. (I'm NOT. 110 is fine for my size.)People were using the exercise machines.

LuLu

~~~~

I don't get excited about too many things, but being able to use the gym on turnaround day helps. ;)

Archived