Limiting weight gain on a cruise!

Hi!

DH and I have just joined a well known healthy eating plan (it's working very well). We've been on a number of cruises and by being a bit careful usually manage to put on about 7lbs on a 14 day trip. We are on the Grand to the Med in October. While I want to enjoy the food and drink side of the holiday, has anyone got any tips on damage limitation weightwise?

We plan on walking round alot, loath going to the gym and limiting the french martini's.

What are the healthy options like in the MDR?

We've both got 1 st to get rid of got visions of it piling back on!:(

We find if we eat in the dining room breakfast, lunch and dinner - we don't gain weight. things there are pretty portion controlled...whereas if we graze at the buffets we do worse! I also stay away from alcohol (which is hard) and drink TONS of water.

we try to take the stairs as often as possible and walk a lot. i love to walk the decks, i also hit zumba a few times on our last cruise and use the gym.

the last 2 cruises I haven't gained. My husband can't say the same thing though :)

I love my food, and I'm very fond of a drink or two. Or three. Or four.

We were on the Grand for 14 days at the start if June and I did not watch what I ate or drank at all. If I liked the look of it, I ate/drank it :D

I was terrified to get on the Wii Fit when I got home but to my immense surprise I had only put on 1lb! I put it down to walking round the ship on sea days and doing a lot of walking (at least five miles per port) on port days.

Personally, I'd take the view that holidays are for enjoying. To heck with your plan, you can always play catch-up when you get home!

Hi!

DH and I have just joined a well known healthy eating plan (it's working very well). We've been on a number of cruises and by being a bit careful usually manage to put on about 7lbs on a 14 day trip. We are on the Grand to the Med in October. While I want to enjoy the food and drink side of the holiday, has anyone got any tips on damage limitation weightwise?

We plan on walking round alot, loath going to the gym and limiting the french martini's.

What are the healthy options like in the MDR?

We've both got 1 st to get rid of got visions of it piling back on!:(

Would you believe the past 3 cruises I have not gained any weight (after averaging 7-10 lbs per cruise all the years before that)? One of the best things Princess has done in recent years to help with this is that they have made most of their entre sizes in the MDRs a bit smaller than they used to be. You can still have as much and/or many of anything as you like, but the portion size, itself, is a tad bit smaller. In addition, you can now get most entre offerings in an "appetizer" or "half" portion. This is one way that I have found to help diminish my caloric intake while still enjoying the wonderful flavors of the food offerings. And, of course, I do try to go for the grilled fish or chicken dishes whenever possible, though I refuse to deprive myself of some of the other wonderful and higher calorie "vacation" offerings that I love.

In addition, we have virtually stopped visiting the Horizon Court at all. It's too easy to pile on the portions there. Instead, we will get small nibbles at the International Cafe (on the Grand Class ships.) In my humble opinion, the food in the IC is more interesting, anyway, and it's easier in my experience to get smaller portion sizes.

Other than that, I just try to be conscious of enjoying a "taste" of the things I love about ship-board food. So, I'll have just one slice of pizza; we'll often share an appetizer and/or dessert, things like that.

We do try to get a little exercise, either in the gym or running on the track, but mostly we just walk everywhere - both on board ship and ashore - and almost never take the elevators. It's amazing how "energizing" it can be to climb all those stairs. ;)

I do not mean to suggest that my method will be in full compliance with any organized weight loss regimen, but it has worked for me and left me feeling like I'm able to enjoy the food on my cruise without really depriving myself. And, while I haven't lost weight, I have been very pleased not to have gained any either on the past few 7-10 day cruises.

I hope that helps, and I hope that you have a wonderful cruise! :D

After several months successfully losing weight through healthy eating and exercise, I too was concerned about putting it all back on and more for our last cruise. I didn't gain at all! The biggest change for me vs. previous cruises was absolutely no soda -- I think I had 1 Sprite Zero and that was it.

Plus I stuck to my normal breakfast routine -- just added more fresh fruit -- and had lunch daily in the buffet -- I made a big salad and added either turkey or grilled chicken. Then dinner was in the MDR and I enjoyed fish, chicken, beef, appetizers and dessert -- whatever I wanted. As others have said, the portions are reasonable.

That plus lots of walking really made me feel in control, which as we all know makes all the difference. It was so great to get back home and not notice the typical weight creep after a few days!

Don't tell anyone, but I have never had a problem asking and getting a bowl of fresh berries for dessert. Towards the end days of the cruise, it may be out....

Additionally, I find there is a little weight gain due to the different water (ship v. home) and if ya just wait a week till your body readjusts...no problem.

We also take the stairs as much as possible (but only using handrails if necessary).

Bernadette

Hi!

Thanks for replies. We do stick to MDR for breakfast as it's easy to chose the healthy option food that I enjoy (fruit, poached eggs n such). Might do that for lunch as well or try IC. Though having seen some photos of the food on offer there:eek:.

We do tend to avoid the buffet as it's all to tempting. Even if I'm good DH sit's down with something he knew he should'nt have so I help him out.:o

We also enjoy a drink or 4, been known to do more!!!

I know I'll put some on. Its a holiday!!! I would just like the control underwear not to become riot gear by the 2nd week!

We'll be the one's running up and down stairs and going dizzy going round and round the promenade deck.:D

I've never gained weight on a cruise nor have many of the people I've cruised with. As a matter of fact, I tend to lose weight. On my last trip, which included a pre-cruise to Galapagos and a 16-night cruise, I lost six pounds. I eat lots of salads and fruit, which I love, but also try everything I think I'd like and finish only what's really good. I stop eating when I'm starting to feel full, not when I'm stuffed, and I eat in the buffet, dining room or grill. Generally, I let myself be a picky eater. :)

Stay away from breads/rolls/pastries; limit alcohol; NO cheese (this is my weakness). Eat egg beaters or high fiber cereal with skim milk for breakfast, salad and perhaps soup at lunch, seafood at dinner, ask for a plate a steamed veggies each night, or order a double salad with dressing on the side, mixed berries or a skim milk latte for dessert. Forget that there is a pizza counter, ice cream bar or grill by the pool. Don't forget that you can order entrees (such as fish) with no sauce, or sauce on the side.

It can definitely be done. It's actually easier to eat healthy on a cruise than it is at home (lots more variety to choose from). Unfortunately, it's easier to eat unhealthy on a cruise too (lots more variety to choose from). I guess it's just easier to eat, period, on a cruise!

I cruised for 44 nights two years ago, came home and weighed myself, and then stepped off and tried again. I had lost 15 pounds! Granted, I was recovering from an illness at the time, and did all the things I've listed above, but it definitely worked.

Last year I gained 9 pounds over 100 days of cruising. I was careful at first, but less cautious the last half of the trip. And we were quite active. I blame the cheese, the alcohol and that darn Gianduja chocolate pudding from the IC.

Then there's people like my husband. He'll go to the Trident Grill and ask for 6 french fries, eat just 6 french fries and be satisfied with that. But I'm convinced that's really not normal. ;)

On our Alaska cruise we did room service breakfast and dinner in the MDR. I mostly chose from the entrees with the lotus spa motif that are lower fat and sodium. The portions were perfect for a three course meal.

We always had a light lunch--in port, at the Lido grill, pizzeria, or one of the special outdoor buffets.

I think the key for us was that we kept active and did not over eat. Neither of us drink soda or alcohol very much--loads of hidden calories!

We order room service healthy breakfast so there is no buffet temptation.

We NEVER take the elevator (except when disembarking with suitcase)

At lunch we go to International Cafe or Dining room, once again avoiding the buffet.

At dinner, drop one of the courses, ie don't do soup and salad, just do salad or healthy appetizer.

This certainly helps our weight gain. Certainly booze packs on a few pounds but at least we have taken some steps to limit the weight gain.

Hi!

Great tips everyone. So if there is nothing I'm desperate to have on the MDR menu, maybe the spa healthy option would be one trick to limit the weight damage, plus berries for dessert as not a pud person I usually went for cheese.

We eat sensibly at home with the odd social do that sees sense out the window. Most weight gain drops off within the first few weeks of being home. It's those last couple of pounds each time that wont shift and are still there next time we go away. Hence enrolement to a 'eating plan' to shift that extra stone that has accumalated over last few years.

Hey Ho! We will enjoy ourselves, bear in mind the healthy tips and we will have a week before doing the weighin of shame:D

The advise about taking stairs is well-advised, but I must post a warning. I take stairs all the time at home with no ill effects, and wouldn't think of using the elevator in most public buildings, but weeks of lots of stair climbing on the Emerald magnified a knee issue that wouldn't have otherwise flared. For many people, some stairs = good, but all stairs = not so good. Moderation in all things, including food and exercise. Or so they say. Personally, that's a struggle. :rolleyes:

My son is staff on a Princess Cruise ship, and miraculously he lost 40 pounds in the first 4 months he was onboard. Besides exercise, he found that eating lots of fruit (he mentioned the Horizon Court was where he was going) and constantly having a bottle of water in his hand. This was a few years ago, and in the 2 1/2 years since, he hasn't regained any of the weight. Being on a cruise shop and LOSING weight?

I have one technique only - I've never taken an elevator on a cruise ship.

I eat an eggbeaters omelette and some fruit and yogurt for breakfast; pizza or sandwich and some greens for lunch; and whatever I like at dinner, usually salad, main and dessert. Im not a huuuge eater, but I'm convinced it's the stairs and not my diet -- cause, believe me, there really is no dieting. I eat what i like. I have never gained more than 2 pounds during travel, and it's always gone in a day or two after my ankles aren't swollen from travel.

I have stairs at home and I'm up and down them a zillion times a day and I'm convinced that helps me at home, too.

I rarely see people in the stairs other than crew. Come join me!!

Stay away from the Buffet!! And the roll basket on the table in the MDR!!

The rolls on the Island Princess were the best I have ever had--needless to say we ate all of them every night! We'll see how our will power is on the next cruise:D

Hi!

DH and I have just joined a well known healthy eating plan (it's working very well).

I like to eat all my meals in the dining room.

(which, unfortunately is now impossible on port days)

Ask the waiter to remove bread and butter from the table.

Skip deserts.

Never go to the lido.

Go to gym.

If I try, I can lose weight on a cruise.

While I like the lido, it's too easy to try just a little bit of everything,

and like William Proxmire said, it adds up to a lot of calories.

And, it's too easy to stop by at 3-4 in the afternoon, consume a lot

of calories that should replace dinner -- and then have dinner too.

I like to eat all my meals in the dining room.

(which, unfortunately is now impossible on port days)

Ask the waiter to remove bread and butter from the table.

Skip deserts.

Never go to the lido.

Go to gym.

If I try, I can lose weight on a cruise.

While I like the lido, it's too easy to try just a little bit of everything,

and like William Proxmire said, it adds up to a lot of calories.

And, it's too easy to stop by at 3-4 in the afternoon, consume a lot

of calories that should replace dinner -- and then have dinner too.

Everyone has a different method. For instance, I never exercise, take the elevator up (rarely down), eat anything I want (including in the Lido), etc. To me, if you deny yourself, I don't think you're going to have fun or enjoy all the great food onboard. I don't go on a cruise to diet, I go to enjoy myself and have someone else cook, prepare food, and put it in front of me. :) Moderation is the key.

Stay away from breads/rolls/pastries; limit alcohol; NO cheese (this is my weakness). Eat egg beaters or high fiber cereal with skim milk for breakfast, salad and perhaps soup at lunch, seafood at dinner, ask for a plate a steamed veggies each night, or order a double salad with dressing on the side, mixed berries or a skim milk latte for dessert. Forget that there is a pizza counter, ice cream bar or grill by the pool. Don't forget that you can order entrees (such as fish) with no sauce, or sauce on the side.

It can definitely be done. It's actually easier to eat healthy on a cruise than it is at home (lots more variety to choose from). Unfortunately, it's easier to eat unhealthy on a cruise too (lots more variety to choose from). I guess it's just easier to eat, period, on a cruise!

I cruised for 44 nights two years ago, came home and weighed myself, and then stepped off and tried again. I had lost 15 pounds! Granted, I was recovering from an illness at the time, and did all the things I've listed above, but it definitely worked.

Last year I gained 9 pounds over 100 days of cruising. I was careful at first, but less cautious the last half of the trip. And we were quite active. I blame the cheese, the alcohol and that darn Gianduja chocolate pudding from the IC.

Then there's people like my husband. He'll go to the Trident Grill and ask for 6 french fries, eat just 6 french fries and be satisfied with that. But I'm convinced that's really not normal. ;)

As far as I am concerned, this was the best response I have seen to this topic.

Everyone has a different method. For instance, I never exercise, take the elevator up (rarely down), eat anything I want (including in the Lido), etc. To me, if you deny yourself, I don't think you're going to have fun or enjoy all the great food onboard. I don't go on a cruise to diet, I go to enjoy myself and have someone else cook, prepare food, and put it in front of me. :) Moderation is the key.
To me it is not denying myself, but living as healthy a life as I can for as long as I can no matter where I am at. I don't go on a cruise to diet either, but I change the way I live as little as possible. I find plenty of good food to eat onboard without compromising my values. To me moderation is not the key. Not eating things that aren't good for me is the key. Since I don't eat anything that comes from animals, processed foods, or cruise style desserts in my regular life, I don't need to do it on a cruise, even if I am on vacation. Of course, that is just me. BTW, I have a 10 day cruise in September and a 15 day cruise in November. I am also training for my 13th marathon in December. The marathon gives me a little more incentive to not screw up on the cruises.

are soo good and crusty....I limit myself to one EVERY day at dinner, but try to eat less carbs with my main meal...or have a light dessert...

I love how fresh and crusty crunchy they are..I do not deprive myself..I just "work it in"

It is easier to eat well and healthy because there are so many choices...

We also tend to enjoy breakfast in the MDR, even though I just have my regular daily oatmeal....and some fruit or yogurt....

Bernadette

I'm with you, except I can't take the stairs thanks to my bad knees. To me, moderation is the key. I diet 6 days a week at home. Sundays & vacations are my time to eat anything I want. That just happens to be dessert, bread, & pasta. Yes, I'm a carbaholic. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, I prefer seafood to other proteins & don't like fried foods. I'm used to small portions, so that helps. Admittedly, I do sometimes fill up on bread, then pick at my other food to save room for dessert. :o I always drink diet drinks & that doesn't change on cruises. My DH & I do share a bottle of wine at dinner.

My biggest problem is water weight on a cruise. I'm guessing it's from so much salt intake. That usually drops off, after I've been home a few days.

Everyone is different. If I had to watch everything I ate on a cruise, I wouldn't go. I realize most people don't go on vacation to be able to eat what they want like I do though. :p I much prefer eating smaller portions of the foods I really want to eating a huge salad that I could have at home.

Archived