Thanksgiving on Board

magandab

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam last Thanksgiving and we had a wonderful, traditional dinner. The night before Thanksgiving, our steward asked if we had any favorite foods we enjoy on the holiday and he made sure when he served our dinner, he brought as many of our favorites as were offered. We very much enjoyed our holiday and thought the turkey delicious. DH likes white meat but I prefer dark meat. Steward brought each of us what we wanted.

HAL did a nice job IMO

We have done several Thanksgivings on various ships.

We go to the Pinnacle as soon as I find out that they are serving processed turkey -which we don't like.

It depends on when your cruise ends whether they will start to put up Christmas decorations. We were on one cruise that started a day before Thanksgiving but didn't end until Dec 8 -- no decorations.

We have done several Thanksgivings on various ships.

We go to the Pinnacle as soon as I find out that they are serving processed turkey -which we don't like.

It depends on when your cruise ends whether they will start to put up Christmas decorations. We were on one cruise that started a day before Thanksgiving but didn't end until Dec 8 -- no decorations.

No processed turkey served to us.

We had real, from the bird turkey. :D

DH had sliced breast and I had dark meat.... just the way we like it.

We thought the Chefs did a really good job for the holiday and we enjoyed it enough to say without hesitation we would book a Thanksgiving cruise again.

We stayed for the cruise after Thanksgiving week and came home about (?) December 5 or 6. There were no Christmas decorations yet.

We did Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam over Thanksgiving -- they did start to decorate right at the end of the Thanksgiving part of our Collecctors cruises. All that was missing was the live Poinsettias. On transition day a special crew came on and put up all the trees and assorted decorations around the ship.

We have done Ryndam, Statendam, Zuiderdam, and I can't remember what other ships over Thansgiving.

We have sailed Maasdam just after Thanksgiving and they had put a few things out but not too much.

It may depend on the date of Thanksgiving. This year. Thanksgiving is November 22 but next year,

it is November 28, 2013.

It has also been our experience that the ship itself does not do most of the decorating, though they do some of it. There is usually a crew brought aboard who work like little elves during the night and get the ship all 'dressed' for Christmas. :)

We experienced American Thanksgiving while on board the Statendam in 2009.

The Dining Room was decorated.

Tried the Pumpkin Pie for dessert, (something new for us) but were not impressed with it.

:D I'm "All American" ;) and I don't care for pumpkin pie, either. Never have.

We will be lucky enough to enjoy two Thanksgiving dinners this year as we will have Thanksgiving here at home in October and then get to feast again on the NA over the American Thanksgiving. I can feel the waistline expanding already.

We experienced American Thanksgiving while on board the Statendam in 2009.

The Dining Room was decorated.

Tried the Pumpkin Pie for dessert, (something new for us) but were not impressed with it.

Pumpkin pie is basically an egg custard pie with pumpkin flavoring. I hated it as a kid, but now find it more pleasing to my matured palate. Plus it is good for you - lots of protein, fiber and vitamin A.You can make a whole meal out of it as it contains all necessary food groups. (Just what you wanted to hear) :p

We enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner on the Prinsendam last year nearing the end of our TA. One of our tablemates, who had gone for many of the culinary arts demonstrations, noted that the cranberry sauce was made from dried cranberries inasmuch as cranberries are not a European fruit.

Pumpkin pie is basically an egg custard pie with pumpkin flavoring. I hated it as a kid, but now find it more pleasing to my matured palate. Plus it is good for you - lots of protein, fiber and vitamin A.You can make a whole meal out of it as it contains all necessary food groups. (Just what you wanted to hear) :p

I often make Pumpkin Soup.

Pumpkin is one of the vegetables for dinner tonight.

I often make Pumpkin Soup.

Pumpkin is one of the vegetables for dinner tonight.

Yes, another good way to enjoy pumpkin. A vastly under-appreciated, nutrient dense and easy to grow vegetable. And roasted pumpkin seeds are yummy too. Talk about high in fiber. :p

Yes, another good way to enjoy pumpkin. A vastly under-appreciated, nutrient dense and easy to grow vegetable. And roasted pumpkin seeds are yummy too. Talk about high in fiber. :p

Often add pumpkin seeds, when making bread.

Archived