Tapas on nautical

joiedevivre

And available on all ships ...

Frankly, I never understood why they changed the name to "Tapas" way back when because sometimes dinner in the Terrace Cafe was spanish-oriented, even Paella ... but not always (in our experience which has been limited because we have had dinner in the GDR far more often than we went up to the Terrace).

It appears that they have now deleted the name Tapas ... but the food is still very good up there, and if you want to dine al fresco this is the place. And if you are tired after a day of touring, it is even more the place. And if you are on Marina and Riviera, it is really spectacular.

You can even get that bottle of wine that you have on hold from the specialty restaurants or the GDR. :D

Mura

Jan,

Back when we almost never ate in the buffet for dinner (on the "R" ships) either, although we did a few times (and we're more likely to do so these days). Howard likes it better than I do, although he's a buffet person. His first year in graduate school at Harvard they had a buffet breakfast; the second year they didn't. We like to think it's because he broke the budget.

But Terrace on Marina/Riviera is quite fantastic. I wouldn't mind having dinner up there just about every night. It's too bad the "R" ships just don't have the room ...

Mura

• 5 weeks later...

We are about to take our 9th cruise on Oceania. We have been on every ship but the most recent one launched this Summer. We are of the opinion that adding a hot grill to the Terrace Cafe like the one on the new large ships would make it more competitive. Obviously we love Oceania so this is a wish rather than a deciding factor for us.

The terrace cafe is perfect for a casual, light dinner. After a long hot day of touring, we often didn't feel like a longer dinner in the GDR, and chose to have something light in the Terrace Cafe, dressed more casually than for the GDR or speciality restaurants. We're now really looking forward to the addition of the grill on Riviera. And some evenings, the menu is very appealing in the Terrace Cafe. It's nice to have variety and the option of dining alfresco.

We are considering April 4/2013 on the nautical Bangkok to Dubai /we love to eat alfesco

Nautical /ˈnôtikəl/

Adjective: Of or concerning sailors or navigation; maritime: as in "nautical charts".

Synonyms: marine - maritime - naval - sea - seafaring

Nautica: a cruise ship owned and operated by Oceania Cruises

2974375455_a56721fd70.jpg

Geez people, don't tell everyone how wonderful the Terrace Cafe is or everyone will want to eat out there. We who love to dine there want everyone else to eat in the MDR or use room service. (Please don't use the word "competitive" either...it truly is all about me so please dine elsewhere)

xoxo

No you should not eat in the Terrace...

The pushing to get to the food is bad, the tables & chairs are too close together ...you have to ask the person behind you to "suck it up" so you can get out to go forage for more food

If you both happen to leave the table at once someone will take the table for their own that is if you can find a table in the first place

Too crowded

NO NO NO! Do not go to the TERRACE :D

We are about to take our 9th cruise on Oceania. We have been on every ship but the most recent one launched this Summer. We are of the opinion that adding a hot grill to the Terrace Cafe like the one on the new large ships would make it more competitive. Obviously we love Oceania so this is a wish rather than a deciding factor for us.

I agree. On my last cruise on Nautica I had occasion to speak at length with the executive chef and I raised this very issue. He explained to me why it would be very difficult to do on the R ships and I doubt it will happen.

We personally almost never go to the GDR -- only if there is something on the menu we really want and it is not available in the Terrace Cafe. We prefer to "graze and sample" and sometimes the service in the GDR is painfully slow. I enjoy a leisurely meal -- but 3 hours is a bit much.

LHT28,

LOL after reading your little commentary on the Terrace.

Hadn't really used this spot for dinner until our 3rd cruise on Oceania ( Nautica ) last year, Dubai to Athens. Just so convenient after full days of touring as we could do a quick change of clothing when back on board ship and a little freshening up before heading to the Terrace to dine. Always found the quality and variety of food very satisfying. Will definitely make use of this venue on any future cruises and of course hope that everyone takes your sage advice and goes elsewhere!!

LHT28,

LOL after reading your little commentary on the Terrace.

Hadn't really used this spot for dinner until our 3rd cruise on Oceania ( Nautica ) last year, Dubai to Athens. Just so convenient after full days of touring as we could do a quick change of clothing when back on board ship and a little freshening up before heading to the Terrace to dine. Always found the quality and variety of food very satisfying. Will definitely make use of this venue on any future cruises and of course hope that everyone takes your sage advice and goes elsewhere!!

We do the same ..if too tired we go to the Terrace

Sadly we did have some of the problems I was joking about :eek:

DH like the buffet, me not so much...we compromise ;)

Lyn

We prefer to "graze and sample".

I concur wholeheardly. Love the simple seafood salads, the small a la minute station (omletts, pasta, seafood, etc., depending on the meal), the cheese board available in the evening and the ice cream service available at lunch and dinner.

I also enjoy the GDR, but often the dishes in Terrace are simpler, which can be just the ticket for a meal sometimes.

Enjoy!

Archived