How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

DW and I did this trip in May, '09 w. Vantage. Hurtigruten rooms are very small unless you upgrade to a junior suite. I wrote a short travelogue not published on VCBS webbsite, which I can send you if you want.

My email keatingfamily at roadrunner dot com

Tom:)

Well, I tried but did something wrong. Yes, I'd like to see your travelogue. The e-mail to use is bdglass1940 at yahoo dot com. Let's see if you can get it to me that way.

I booked my flights for the Hurtigruten cruise today and will confirm my booking for the cruise itself early in the week when the TA handling the booking returns from a weekend away.

I am not booking my flights through Vantage although I know that's possible. I had enough USAirways Dividend Miles to pay for the flights although I'll be on airlines in the Star Alliance (United, SAS and Lufthansa) and not USAirways.

Now I have to buy some thermal underwear, some snow boots and other waterproof shoes and probably a few other things for the cold weather. The cruise leaves Bergen March 7th. Supposed to be a good winter for the Northern Lights.

My friend and I know the cabin is tiny, but we've agreed we won't be in it much, and we do have a window.

Beth

Well, I tried but did something wrong. Yes, I'd like to see your travelogue. The e-mail to use is bdglass1940 at yahoo dot com. Let's see if you can get it to me that way.

Hi Beth and Carol

I'm happy to help. Beth, emails are on the way, along w. Norway book recommendations. If you can ride the Flam train.

Hi Beth and Carol

I'm happy to help. Beth, emails are on the way, along w. Norway book recommendations. If you can ride the Flam train.

Got the e-mails. Love the pictures and commentary. I read mysteries all the time - am reading a series set in Glasgow right now. I'll look up the series you recommended.

Beth

Where is everyone? Nobody has posted since I did two days ago.

Tom, I had to do a search to refresh my memory, but there is another book that I did read a few years ago. I don't remember the author, but the title is Norway 1940 and is also non-fiction.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend. I've stayed in and been a recluse while learning more about Norway and booking my flights using my air miles--actually re-booking so I could go over a day earlier than originally planned.

Beth

Tom, I had to do a search to refresh my memory, but there is another book that I did read a few years ago. I don't remember the author, but the title is Norway 1940 and is also non-fiction.

Hope everyone has had a great weekend. I've stayed in and been a recluse while learning more about Norway and booking my flights using my air miles--act.ually re-booking so I could go over a day earlier than originally planned.

Beth

Hey Beth, i just got to board went to the see the movie

Taken 2 then lunch...WOW another good squel had me at the edge of my seat, then had Thai the weather is so nice

since last weekend. :p

Had a busy weekend - Sat I cleaned house while Narce was at work, then Mass in the afternoon - today went to visit my Mom 2 hrs drive away and visited my oldest BIl plus ate lunch out - had the nephew over for dinner, hubby grilled linguisa's and veggies for linguisa sandwiches - now he's complaining cuz tomorrow is Monday and time for him to go to work -

I'll stay in and try to figure out my cruise for Feb - sailing from New Orleans so better get the flight and hotels booked -

I am so excited for you Beth - Norway- Freedom, Brilliance!!

Narce loved the movie Taken so I know he will love Taken 2 - he's planning on seeing it - it was pretty intense, Taken 1 - loved Liam N.... I am still so sorry that his beautiful wife passed - I loved her especially in the movie (forgot the title) with the twins (lindsay Lohan when she was still NOT as wild she is today)... and she took one twin and the husband took the other twin when they divorced... carol

I understand what you're saying. I really enjoy reading the chats here and I don't care what ship a person is on. I get so many ideas of other cruises, port activities, excursions and other ideas from reading others' postings. We're in the 55 and over and, although we love to be around young(er) people, it's fun to be around people with the same life and life experiences we can share. Feel free to correspond with me anytime. We're sailing on the Crown Febr. 9, 2013.

I understand what you're saying. I really enjoy reading the chats here and I don't care what ship a person is on. I get so many ideas of other cruises, port activities, excursions and other ideas from reading others' postings. We're in the 55 and over and, although we love to be around young(er) people, it's fun to be around people with the same life and life experiences we can share. Feel free to correspond with me anytime. We're sailing on the Crown Febr. 9, 2013.

I think you said this very well.

I "ditto" what Beth said = i agree with you - so glad you found our little group here - please chat with us anytime - !

carol

Hope everyone has had a great weekend. I've stayed in and been a recluse while learning more about Norway and booking my flights using my air miles--actually re-booking so I could go over a day earlier than originally planned.

Beth

Hi

I'm here, ready to answer any questions about Norway/Hurtigruten. I haven't read Norway 1940, but Shetland Bus takes place in WWII

I found The Shetland Bus and am going to order it. I found some of the mysteries, too, but not all of them have been translated into English.

Beth

That sounds much more exciting than the Danielle Steel book I just read - Friends Forever -- I think DS thinks she HAS to write books with all kinds of Death in it - I stopped reading her books years ago - someone I downloaded this and I am sorry - I will order the 2nd of the Maisie Dobbs series -

Dull Day today - but after a busy weekend, I need to just relax - carol

Hi Friends, I just got back from the grocery store..........I saw Aretha Franklin shopping.......Yep! She wasn't dressed in her finest DWTS dress, but non the less, there she was! However I was in my jeans and sweatshirt, so no matter!......So, I was thinking, who have any of you seen that totally surprised yourself?

Hi Friends, I just got back from the grocery store..........I saw Aretha Franklin shopping.......Yep! She wasn't dressed in her finest DWTS dress, but non the less, there she was! However I was in my jeans and sweatshirt, so no matter!......So, I was thinking, who have any of you seen that totally surprised yourself?

I was lucky enough to see "Weasy" once - Isabel Sanford -- George's wife!! and I am still sad that Sherman Hensly passed away recently - she was gambling, the slots, in Lake Tahoe at Harrah's - I was walking by with my cousin and I saw her - she was having a good time, pulling that handle, laffing and when her eye caught mine, I said Hello and she said Hi- and I asked her if I can have her autograph and she said, one more pull!ha!ha! and she turns around to me, I had a pen but nothing else cuz I was so excited and she pulls one of those small cups where you put your coins (in those days when the coins still came out of the machines - in the 1990's) and she wrote her name on it - isabel sanford and then 'weasey' underneath - she was short and not as chubby as she looked on TV - she was cute and so friendly - she had a huge body guard with her...

we saw Phil Jackson (lakers coach) at the Mall in Santa Monica once - we said Hi and he just looked at us as he was going up the escalator -

wow - Aretha!! I like her.... carol

Hi All,

I've been around, kind of hovering but have been in the loop.

Sometimes I like to listen to everyone's adventures, (but not in a stalking way). I have been busy lately with school otherwise just life. I wish I was going on a trip soon but nothing for me until April.

Today I just worked, nothing exciting. I too hope to see the movie Taken 2. I am trying to remember if I have seen any celebrities. Do professional sports players count? Everyone sounds good; I hope so. :D:D

Hi All,

I've been around, kind of hovering but have been in the loop.

Sometimes I like to listen to everyone's adventures, (but not in a stalking way). I have been busy lately with school otherwise just life. I wish I was going on a trip soon but nothing for me until April.

Today I just worked, nothing exciting. I too hope to see the movie Taken 2. I am trying to remember if I have seen any celebrities. Do professional sports players count? Everyone sounds good; I hope so. :D:D

Sure - I think Phil Jackson is a sports guy -

We have seen many celebrities/entertainers when we used to go to Concerts, etc.. just thinking of the unexpected incidences where we just ran into them....

Oh! here's one that is also cruise related...

It was on the 2nd voyage of the Explorer-- 2000... we were in line to board and Kristie Yamaguchi was on the sidelines waiting for something and hubby said Hi to her and told her we were also from the Bay area - she said Hi and gave us a smile but whomever she was waiting for came by and she started to talk to them and left - she is very cute - I guess she was on the inaugural sailing and opened the skating rink that yr -

always nice when you post - even just to say HI - and don't worry, April will be here soon enough! carol

A friend and I were on a local noontime TV talk show in NC with Jerry Falwell as one of the guests back in the early 1970s before he was nationally known. However, he was already on his way and very savvy, and the two of us were there to "debate" him about women in the church - this was 10+ years before I went to seminary. Let's just say it wasn't a pretty picture.

Beth

Hi

I'm here, ready to answer any questions about Norway/Hurtigruten. I haven't read Norway 1940, but Shetland Bus takes place in WWII

Okay, I'm taking you up on your offer.

• The ship stops at several ports a day. Were you in ports long enough to see anything? The Vantage Travel information sent to me lists walking tours in several towns as part of the package, and I know some towns are very small which should be enough. But, what about the ports?
  • What category cabin did you have? My friend and I are in a P category. We tried to upgrade to a mini-suite, but they only have queen beds that don't separate. Since she and I are not family and haven't yet met in person (we will on the Brilliance in 3 1/2 weeks) we decided we weren't ready to sleep in the same bed. Anyway, if you had one of the smaller cabins, how was it?
  • I know alcohol is sold on the ship but is not part of the package. Can we take alcohol onboard ourselves? If so, I'll be tempted to buy some here in the US and pack it carefully in my suitcase to save the high cost on the ship.

Thank you for your answers. I probably have more questions, but these will do for a start. You can respond here for everyone to see and perhaps think about this cruise for their own future travels or to my e-mail address.

Beth

• The ship stops at several ports a day. Were you in ports long enough to see anything? The Vantage Travel information sent to me lists walking tours in several towns as part of the package, and I know some towns are very small which should be enough. But, what about the ports?
  • What category cabin did you have? My friend and I are in a P category. We tried to upgrade to a mini-suite, but they only have queen beds that don't separate. Since she and I are not family and haven't yet met in person (we will on the Brilliance in 3 1/2 weeks) we decided we weren't ready to sleep in the same bed. Anyway, if you had one of the smaller cabins, how was it?
  • I know alcohol is sold on the ship but is not part of the package. Can we take alcohol onboard ourselves? If so, I'll be tempted to buy some here in the US and pack it carefully in my suitcase to save the high cost on the ship.

Thank you for your answers. I probably have more questions, but these will do for a start. You can respond here for everyone to see and perhaps think about this cruise for their own future travels or to my e-mail address.

Beth

I am jumpin' the gun here and perhaps Tom has the answer... don't blame you re: the bed.. can they bring in a cot? or are the staterooms too small? carol

I am jumpin' the gun here and perhaps Tom has the answer... don't blame you re: the bed.. can they bring in a cot? or are the staterooms too small? carol

Carol, I don't know. The staterooms are very - I mean very - small. I think the one we have is advertised as 89 - 139 sq. ft., perhaps a bit bigger. The mini-suite we'd hoped for is advertised at 193 - 215 sq. ft.

I have my login information for Vantage with an e-mail address for questions. Think I'll e-mail and ask your question.

Beth

Okay, thanks to you, Carol, I have just sent a message asking about a cot in the mini-suite. I think the cruise is not fully booked making it a moot question, and at this point my friend might be content to stay with the cabin we have. But, it never hurts to ask.

Beth

Beth

Some ports were only a 30 minute stop or less. I would get off and take a picture of the town sign and get back on. Other ports were 4-6 hrs and because we had 2 Program Managers(PMs) we were given a choice of a long or short walk(90 minutes or under 60 min.) The Vantage brochures suggest that your cruise date is limited to 24 persons--only 1 PM. Our group was 62 persons--larger than normal.

We booked a mini suite which was supposed to have a queen bed. Actually there were 2 twin beds in an alcove w. an aisle between them.

You can take wine aboard, although we did not. You can only drink it in your cabin, and 1 of our PMs warned us about drinking outside the cabin. I like to drink wine w. dinner. It was about $50 per bottle(heavy taxes).

Our mini suite was cheaper because there was a lifeboat outside 1 of the 2 windows. We booked it 1 yr ahead and were actually on a waiting list. We had a tv--other rms don't except for inside cabins. Our ship was MS Trollfjord--650 pax. We were supposed to have use of the theater every night, but a wedding party was given it for the 1st 6 nights.

I suggest that you load up your ebook.

Our PM, Gordon said that Hurtigruten was having a hard time selling cruises in winter months and was including optional tours that we had to pay for. It looks like you are going to get some optional tours for free.

Liz and I liked Inger but not Gordon as much--a bit of a grump. If you can get a mini suite, go for it.

websites

https://www.vantagetravel.com

hurtigruten.com----ship deck plans

Thanks, Tom. We think we're on the Polarlys although I don't think Vantage has confirmed that as yet. I've sent a question to Vantage asking about the mini-suites and if we could put a cot in the cabin if there's only one bed.

Walking tours and a couple of coach "drive-around" tours are included in the price of our tickets. There's something free in each port as well as a tour of Bergen the morning we depart. I don't know yet about optional excursions like dog sled excursions, etc.

Vantage has booked the entire ship - did they do that when you and your wife went? I don't know what that means in terms of how we'll be divided up.

I went on a tour once called "Following in the Footsteps of Paul." The tour company had chartered a Louis Cruise Lines ship, and there were 700 of us onboard. We started in Athens and went across to various places in Turkey, down to Israel, back to Cyprus, and one fun day on Santorini. We had 16 bus loads, and we were with the same bus each time. It was quite an operation.

Thanks for the alcohol policy info as well. I don't see the purpose of taking wine onboard if I can only drink it in the cabin. I don't drink a lot anyway so may opt to drink only a few times on the ship.

Beth