How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

I'm watching last night's Castle right now. He's promoting his most recent book Frozen Heat. That's the name of the book I'm reading.

Interesting how the fake book on TV is a real book by a so-called author.

Beth

Hi

Another author that DW and I read is Michael Connelly(who sometimes plays poker w. Castle). One of his books is available thru Bookbub for $2.99 today.

Trunk Music

By Michael Connelly

From a #1 New York Times bestselling author comes this riveting thriller that follows Detective Harry Bosch as he investigates the apparent mob murder of an LA movie producer -- with over 3,000 five-star ratings on Goodreads

Originally: $7.99

$2.99

Get Deal

As for Xmas and Cruises, DW likes to buy an ornament on each one of our trips.

Tom:)

Edited by Tom47
typo

Love the book talk on this thread - thanx Tom... suggestions and ideas most welcome!

I also buy Christmas ornts from every cruise/trip... even tho' i have been to the same place zillions of times! I just write in the yr if it doesn't already have it on the ornt itself... love Christmas ornts - !!

I am a Miss Garfield fan - have all kinds of Garfield things since the late 80's -- so of course, I have the ornts - he's not as popular anymore but occasionally, I'll see Garfield things in antique shops or ebay, etc...

have a good day everyone - will return with more chit chatts later on...

carol

I haven't watched last night's Castle yet, but it's recorded.

Does everyone know that there are books by Richard Castle? In the series Castle is a writer, and he writes mystery books. He starts a new series about a female detective he names Nikki Heat. Well, someone (not sure who) has actually written these books, and they are great fun. I'm on the fourth of four right now. You find them by searching for "Richard Castle" as the author.

A cruise question since this is a cruising web site: Has anyone ever taken a taxi from the cruiseport at St. Maarten over to Marigot? I think that's what I want to do next month. I know I don't want another tour, and I could go with some others to Maho, but I would like to have more time in Marigot than I did when I was there in 2011. Also, it will be market day, and I love to browse through local markets - sometimes even buy something!

Beth

I did not know there were actual books by Castle!! I will look for them and start reading; how fun.

I have been over to Marigot but we took an excursion because we were told the traffic is horrible all of the time and it takes alot of time to get back. There is only a 2 lane road around the mountain and it was very backed-up even at 10:00am. We were told it was always like that but I think if you take that into consideration you may be OK. We were told no guarrantees, by a cab driver. If you have been there you may have a good idea and know what to do. It was beautiful but I probably would not spend the time to go back; just not my thing.

Just my input.

I did not know there were actual books by Castle!! I will look for them and start reading; how fun.

I have been over to Marigot but we took an excursion because we were told the traffic is horrible all of the time and it takes alot of time to get back. There is only a 2 lane road around the mountain and it was very backed-up even at 10:00am. We were told it was always like that but I think if you take that into consideration you may be OK. We were told no guarrantees, by a cab driver. If you have been there you may have a good idea and know what to do. It was beautiful but I probably would not spend the time to go back; just not my thing.

Just my input.

Amazing, isn't it? The books are the exact titles the character writes on the TV show. They are pure fluff and also lots of fun.

I've been to Marigot on an excursion, too, but we were only there for a couple of hours. I'd like to go back and stay about 4 hours.

My other option is to spend time in Phillipsburg since I didn't go there. Any ideas from anyone about doing that?

Beth

I have never taken the tour around St Maarten and I should - Bernard's has such a great reputation - I better sign up now if we plan to - normally we just walk around after taking the water taxi - eat along the beach, hubby has goat stew, I have something not that adventurous (altho I eat goat stew here at home).... carol

Oh my -- surprise surprise on DWTS 's elimination night... i think Bristol is a pretty gal but she can't dance as well as some of the others so she needs to go but it's up to the fans - carol

No, she can't but everyone knows why she's still there :rolleyes:

I knew who was going from the 2 that were up for elimination, next week 2 are going lets see who.

Gloria

No, she can't but everyone knows why she's still there :rolleyes:

I knew who was going from the 2 that were up for elimination, next week 2 are going lets see who.

Gloria

They are all good - I can see MAYBE Sabrina and SHawn staying for the long term- I hope Emmitt does too - I love Apolo - it's hard for me to chose since I like most of the dancers this time -

carol

They are all good - I can see MAYBE Sabrina and SHawn staying for the long term- I hope Emmitt does too - I love Apolo - it's hard for me to chose since I like most of the dancers this time -

carol

Ditto :)

Gloria

For the book folks - I am still reading my Nancy Drews!! ha!ha! I noted all the titles that Beth and Tom have talked about and will get into those -- carol

Nice! I hope you're enjoying them.

Lynn

So everyone who's going on a cruise.

I'm not going until next year Pacific coastal.

Gloria

The year is going by fast - you'll be on that ship faster than you think!! I know I waited forever for my Allure cruise this coming Dec and in less than 2 months, we will be on her......... carol

Four weeks from today I'll be in New York City for two nights and then I'll have 8 nights on the Brilliance! Woohoo!!!

Beth

I hear the weather is nice in New York with all the leaves

changing colors, so where are you going on your cruise?

Have a wonderful time.

Gloria

Gloria, the cruise is an 8 night repositioning cruise from Cape Liberty to San Juan - 3 full sea days followed by stops at St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Tortola and St. Thomas before arriving in San Juan which be the Brilliance's home base for the winter.

I'm going up to New York for a couple of nights - lived there for a while back in the 1980s so will just wander around mostly but am also going to the 9/11 Memorial. Then I'll stay in San Juan two nights before heading home.

Beth

Anybody on here ever done one of the coastal cruises of Norway? Not on a big ship but with what is now Hurtigruten?

A CC friend is going in March, and I can room with her if I decide to do this. It would be a North and South bound trip leaving and returning to Bergen. This winter is supposed to be one of the best for the Northern Lights plus I've wanted to do this for almost 20 years.

Problem is that it's expensive - about $3000 per person for an outside (no balconies). That does include hotel stay pre and post cruise. Then there's the expense of getting to Norway.

Oh well, not California dreaming but Norway dreaming today.

Beth

Anybody on here ever done one of the coastal cruises of Norway? Not on a big ship but with what is now Hurtigruten?

A CC friend is going in March, and I can room with her if I decide to do this. It would be a North and South bound trip leaving and returning to Bergen. This winter is supposed to be one of the best for the Northern Lights plus I've wanted to do this for almost 20 years.

Problem is that it's expensive - about $3000 per person for an outside (no balconies). That does include hotel stay pre and post cruise. Then there's the expense of getting to Norway.

Oh well, not California dreaming but Norway dreaming today.

Beth

DW and I did this trip in May, '09 w. Vantage. Hurtigruten rooms are very small unless you upgrade to a junior suite. I wrote a short travelogue not published on VCBS webbsite, which I can send you if you want.

My email keatingfamily at roadrunner dot com

Gloria, the cruise is an 8 night repositioning cruise from Cape Liberty to San Juan - 3 full sea days followed by stops at St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Tortola and St. Thomas before arriving in San Juan which be the Brilliance's home base for the winter.

I'm going up to New York for a couple of nights - lived there for a while back in the 1980s so will just wander around mostly but am also going to the 9/11 Memorial. Then I'll stay in San Juan two nights before heading home.

Beth

This sounds like a wonderful trip! I'd probably be packed by now. :D

Beth

Beth, that sounds awesome my very first cruise

was on Carnival she ship is not around anymore she was pretty old it was called Festival...We few to San Juan then caught it there St. Thomas was my favorite . :D

Gloria

P.S Did the Memorial back in 2005

DW and I did this trip in May, '09 w. Vantage. Hurtigruten rooms are very small unless you upgrade to a junior suite. I wrote a short travelogue not published on VCBS webbsite, which I can send you if you want.

My email keatingfamily at roadrunner dot com

The cruise I'm looking at is with Vantage as well.

I'll send you an e-mail.

Beth