How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

Carol, I did a fair amount of work related traveling alone in the late 1970s. I actually enjoyed flying ialone and all of that. But, I was always going to a meeting where I knew people, so I wasn't totally alone.

Enjoy your long weekend.

I have a dear friend from the mountains who'll be in the area tomorrow, and we're meeting for dinner and some catching up which will be very good.

Beth

Little by little I work on my 'issue' altho' I think if I have to, I can - I travelled only three times by myself only to go to my destination and then have relatives meet me - two yrs ago I flew to Hawaii alone to stay with my GodDaughter for 3 days before Narce flew over to meet me - hate it, but I did it ... had the airport shuttle pick me up from my house to SF - but as far as flying somewhere, renting a car, staying at a hotel alone, well, never -- and if I were to go on a cruise alone, I need to be with others whom I know so that I am not totally Solo and then have to meet and make friends onboard -

I love my Kindle also and can't believe I have all those books downloaded... not pile and piles of books like I used to have!

will be gone for 4 days - be back Tues - will be with relatives for this long weekend - Narce will be camping/fishing with his brother/nephew/friends - he'll drive me there, dump me and then pick me up!!

Have a good weekend my friends on this thread - can't wait to hear about lynn's cruise on the Allure!

carol

I traveled quite a bit for work about 10 years ago and so I am used to it but my leisure travel was always with others. I am now starting to leisure travel solo a bit; my first solo cruise is in April 2013. I am really looking forward to it; it is a present to myself for earning my Masters degree. I'll complete it in December this year.

Ilovescotland-your day at the beach sounds wonderful!! I am jealous-I am way more than a drive away from the beach.

No big plans for thw weekend. :D

I traveled quite a bit for work about 10 years ago and so I am used to it but my leisure travel was always with others. I am now starting to leisure travel solo a bit; my first solo cruise is in April 2013. I am really looking forward to it; it is a present to myself for earning my Masters degree. I'll complete it in December this year.

Ilovescotland-your day at the beach sounds wonderful!! I am jealous-I am way more than a drive away from the beach.

No big plans for thw weekend. :D

Congrats on your degree? masters in ??

I have a girlfriend who is getting her PH.d in Education next yr - i am so proud of her - my God Daughter just got her Masters in Ed last Jan, then she was relaxed and got married and got pregnant same month and now we are waiting for the little girl to arrive Sept 30 so we can spoil her even more than we have been since we found she is a little princess.

So I went grocery shopping ALONE today, ha!ha! I am fine with that - and when I got home, taking things out of the trunk of my car - one plastic bag broke and 5 cans rolled into the middle of our street-- so I had to chase them! I am sure my neighbors were laffing! they went all over the place- those things can roll Very fast! when hubby got home, he hands me a can of golden mushroom soup and said, "YOUR's?" cuz it was at the gutter and he noticed it -

I made a beef roast with the golden mushroom soup - season the beef, pour the soup (2 cans /average size of roast), bake and it's dinner...

carol

Your day at the beach sounded quite idyllic. As our island is quite small (compare to USA it's minute) so we are never too far from a beach. I am only about 45 minutes away but never think of going there but will now. Only need some decent weather as Uk has had the wettest summer for 100 years so it hasn't been exactly beach weather. I, too, love my kindle and have just downloaded quite a few books ready for our cruise. I was introduced to a kindle by an American friend I made via CC roll call and met at our meet and greet on Carnival Liberty. Debbie has been a friend since and we have even met up again last time we were in Florida. Cruising is such a great way to meet and make friends! I am lucky in that I have never been alone, straight from home to marriages but, if I ever had to holiday alone and finances allowed, I would definitely cruise. I think it's the safest and friendliest holiday you could take.

I, too, am looking forward to hearing about the Allure. I have watched a program about the building of the Oasis and have been fascinated ever since. I would love to experience a cruise on either of them and I wouldn't even care about the itinery as I think I'd want to stay onboard and experience it all!

I have been to Madeira before on our Canary Island cruise but wasn't feeling too good that day so just had a look around. Went to the chair lift but the queue was too long and I don't really have a head for heights lol. I think we are just going to get the local bus up to watch the tobaggan rides and maybe afternoon tea at Reids.

I am really enjoying this thread - no nastiness - just loving it.

Congrats on your degree? masters in ??

I have a girlfriend who is getting her PH.d in Education next yr - i am so proud of her - my God Daughter just got her Masters in Ed last Jan, then she was relaxed and got married and got pregnant same month and now we are waiting for the little girl to arrive Sept 30 so we can spoil her even more than we have been since we found she is a little princess.

So I went grocery shopping ALONE today, ha!ha! I am fine with that - and when I got home, taking things out of the trunk of my car - one plastic bag broke and 5 cans rolled into the middle of our street-- so I had to chase them! I am sure my neighbors were laffing! they went all over the place- those things can roll Very fast! when hubby got home, he hands me a can of golden mushroom soup and said, "YOUR's?" cuz it was at the gutter and he noticed it -

I made a beef roast with the golden mushroom soup - season the beef, pour the soup (2 cans /average size of roast), bake and it's dinner...

carol

Thanks Carol! My Masters will be in Clinical Research which is my profession. How exciting about your new addition to your family! Congrats on going to the grocery store alone-I must tell you I have had the same bag break experience but in the parking lot. It was a 24 pk of soda-I ran around picking them up. I am sure I looked silly. The funny part was when I was driving away I saw two cans that I didn't get that rolled under the car. I just kept on driving, I had chased enough cans!

Food talk-I have not tried your recipe/suggestion for roast-it sounds delicious. I'll have to try it. Any other tips I need to know?

Have a great day everyone! :)

Hello!

I live near Martin City, and the Jack Stack there is awesome. Just had their brisket and smoked turkey the other day. The one on the Plaza is really good, too.

I've started looking at the 55+ because I am always looking for ways to circumvent the d#$@mned single supplement. deep discounts so I can pay double, or cabin sharing, which I haven't tried yet, but am considering. I am semi retired and want to cruise more often than I can find family and friends to go with....

Have traveled extensively on my own, so solo isn't an issue.

Hope this board livens up, too!

This brings to mind.........while at the grocery store I pulled out a jar of spaghetti sauce and, yep, you guessed it, the whole shelf of jars plopped to the floor...one by one! Then I heard " clean up in aisle 4" over the loud speaker. I ever so non chalantly walked to the check out and met my husband who was in line....he looked at me and said "was that you?"....I looked down at my shoes and pant legs and seeing spaghetti sauce all over my bottom half, couldn't deny it, apologized and promptly went to the car! Every time I buy Ragu, I think of this!

This brings to mind.........while at the grocery store I pulled out a jar of spaghetti sauce and, yep, you guessed it, the whole shelf of jars plopped to the floor...one by one! Then I heard " clean up in aisle 4" over the loud speaker. I ever so non chalantly walked to the check out and met my husband who was in line....he looked at me and said "was that you?"....I looked down at my shoes and pant legs and seeing spaghetti sauce all over my bottom half, couldn't deny it, apologized and promptly went to the car! Every time I buy Ragu, I think of this!

What did you serve for dinner that night ??

Welcome home Lynn - glad you enjoyed your Allure cruise for your son's birthday !!

I know most of us are all looking forward to our cruises - wish I was on one NOW!!

Spent 4 days away on a mini escape with my In-Laws and next Fri to Sun, only hubby and i will go away -

Errand day today - no grocery shopping so that means I won't have a chance for some cans rolling into the street!! ha!ha!

Corkey Carol

We're here! Not been on the forum for a few days as we had a couple of days away down in Southampton. We have just done a ship's tour of MSC Opera and had a lovely time. We took my son, Chris and his wife, Karen, with us as they are very keen to take their first cruise next year and only want to cruise with us????? We're looking at a Carnival cruise in the med. and trying to price it all out for them. Does anyone know if Carnival do any kind of drinks package as my son is afraid of running up a large bill on his account (not that he drinks that much just likes to have it all budgeted before hand).

I've been absent, too, finalizing plans for my November 8 night cruise from NY (Cape Liberty) to San Juan. I am now flying into Newark two nights early and staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites Staten Island. It's the only hotel that offers a free shuttle not only from the airport but to the cruise port. I'm not sure I would cruise out of Cape Liberty again simply because of the expense of getting there.

The Hampton is on a city bus line that will take me to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal so that I can spend my one full day in Manhattan - yippee!

And then it's off on the Brilliance.

Beth

We're here! Not been on the forum for a few days as we had a couple of days away down in Southampton. We have just done a ship's tour of MSC Opera and had a lovely time. We took my son, Chris and his wife, Karen, with us as they are very keen to take their first cruise next year and only want to cruise with us????? We're looking at a Carnival cruise in the med. and trying to price it all out for them. Does anyone know if Carnival do any kind of drinks package as my son is afraid of running up a large bill on his account (not that he drinks that much just likes to have it all budgeted before hand).

How exciting for your son and his wife -- first cruise! sorry, I don't know anything about Carnival - We took our nephew and his wife of 10 months on their first cruise last yr on The Freedom of the Seas - sailed from Cape Canaveral to the Caribbean - they had a great time - it was actually our wedding present to them - then two days after we got home, they got into a heated argument, she left and now they are divorced -- oops! Well, at leasts our nephew had a great time and loves cruising now!

Carol

I've been absent, too, finalizing plans for my November 8 night cruise from NY (Cape Liberty) to San Juan. I am now flying into Newark two nights early and staying at the Hampton Inn and Suites Staten Island. It's the only hotel that offers a free shuttle not only from the airport but to the cruise port. I'm not sure I would cruise out of Cape Liberty again simply because of the expense of getting there.

The Hampton is on a city bus line that will take me to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal so that I can spend my one full day in Manhattan - yippee!

And then it's off on the Brilliance.

Beth

Next time we cruise out of Cape Liberty, I'll have to remember to stay there - we have been staying at the NJ Airport/Springhill Suites and they do not have a free shuttle to Bayonne - so we have gone via taxi or last time there was a bus load of us but we paid $25 each, however that was for a round trip as they also picked us up after the cruise and brought us (those of us who had to fly out) directly to the airport...

I guess you will be on the Brilliance - my favorite ship - on your birthday!

When we sail from Bayonne, we try to be there 2 or 3 days before so that we visit relatives in PA and NJ - and enjoy a meal at our favorite Portuguese restaurant, Iberia on Ferry St there in Newark.

One more day and it's the weekend again!!

Carol

Carol, not quite my birthday as I'll get home the day before. I also love the Brilliance although only the one cruise on it so far. I went to Alaska on the Radiance, and I have the same cabin this time as we had on that cruise.

I'll let you know about this hotel, especially how the shuttle works as the shuttle is actually operating by the Hilton which is next door. People on a Cape Liberty thread say that the hotel is in some kind of business park with the only restaurant being in the Hilton. That's not an issue for me as long as the shuttle really works okay.

I had originally planned to stay with my step-daughter who lives in NJ, and she would have taken me to the port, but she is having some problems which means that won't work out.

The cruise is 8 nights ending in San Juan on November 10, and I'm staying two extra nights before heading home.

Beth

Since you mentioned spaghetti, I want to make that next week - yum.... with garlic bread, green salad...

lasagne sounds good too........hmmmm..

Carol

Oh yum! I haven't had spaghetti since February, have had essentially no desserts, have begun to drink a little wine and have a mixed drink now and then after not having any for about 4 months, have cut out 95% of the sugar I was consuming, rarely eat potatoes and have eaten a lot of fish, some beef, chicken and pork, a little fruit and lots of veggies. And, I've lost 27 lbs. I'm stuck but will eventually get the remaining 6 or hopefully 11 off as well.

Beth

I am up and down mostly UP UP UP re: #'s -- well, I lose OUNZES.. and gain back Pounds big time -

We have cut back beef a lot - we treat ourselves with a good grilled Rib Eye or New York every two weeks or tri-tips -

we eat mostly chicken, fish (salmon) and I use ground turkey for everything that calls for ground beef - we both like it so no problems there.

It's so hard-------I have no self discipline anyway -

thumbs up to you Beth - sounds like you are doing real good - the rest of your weight will come off real soon -

I should follow your example -

Carol

Oh yum! I haven't had spaghetti since February, have had essentially no desserts, have begun to drink a little wine and have a mixed drink now and then after not having any for about 4 months, have cut out 95% of the sugar I was consuming, rarely eat potatoes and have eaten a lot of fish, some beef, chicken and pork, a little fruit and lots of veggies. And, I've lost 27 lbs. I'm stuck but will eventually get the remaining 6 or hopefully 11 off as well.

Beth

Hi All,

I'm here too, just busy with school and planning a 50th b-day party which is tomorrow.

Big congrats on your weight loss Beth! I like that you did it on your own and it sounds workable. (Spaghetti does sound good though)

It's Friday, have a good one!!! :)

Hi All,

I'm here too, just busy with school and planning a 50th b-day party which is tomorrow.

Big congrats on your weight loss Beth! I like that you did it on your own and it sounds workable. (Spaghetti does sound good though)

It's Friday, have a good one!!! :)

Yes, I did it on my own in one sense, but I was using a program called Naturally Slim which is an online program that costs $400 for 10 weeks. I'm in a wellness program that paid the $$. Naturally Slim is not just about weight loss. It's about healthy eating and looks at all the reasons we eat. The motto is: It's not what you eat but when you eat.

Beth

Sadly, we remember TODAY -

carol

Very Sadly. I'm going to the Memorial Site in November. DD and I tried to go in May, but we discovered after we got downtown Manhattan that we had to have tickets even though admission is free. There was a long line, and we had to get out of the city by mid afternoon, so we didn't go. Last week I learned that I could get my ticket online and print it at home, so I did. I could also choose the time I want to go.

I have problems with heights so never went to the top of the tower that was just an open space. But in my 3 years in NYC 20+ years ago I took visitors to the bar at Windows on the World several times. Such wonderful memories followed by such sad ones.

Beth

[/size][/font]

Yes, I did it on my own in one sense, but I was using a program called Naturally Slim which is an online program that costs $400 for 10 weeks. I'm in a wellness program that paid the $$. Naturally Slim is not just about weight loss. It's about healthy eating and looks at all the reasons we eat. The motto is: It's not what you eat but when you eat.

Beth

That's my problem, I eat my combo breakfast/lunch at around 1:30pm... .then dinner we eat at around 7 or 7:30pm - not good ---

carol

Very Sadly. I'm going to the Memorial Site in November. DD and I tried to go in May, but we discovered after we got downtown Manhattan that we had to have tickets even though admission is free. There was a long line, and we had to get out of the city by mid afternoon, so we didn't go. Last week I learned that I could get my ticket online and print it at home, so I did. I could also choose the time I want to go.

I have problems with heights so never went to the top of the tower that was just an open space. But in my 3 years in NYC 20+ years ago I took visitors to the bar at Windows on the World several times. Such wonderful memories followed by such sad ones.

Beth

It will be emotional, I can already tell - I remember that day so vividly and imagine myself on that plane - very sad - carol