How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

Howdy all, looking forward to a nice weekend. Books- I am reading Barbara Delinsky now, but have read some of the Stephanie Plum books, not recently tho. Food- how about an old fashioned chili dog w/ cheese & an order of fries. Hubby likes just ordinary stuff, can't get him to try anything exotic. Pig roast sounds good tho, never actually had that. I'd like to see pics of the presidential suite too. That'd be so much fun, going with a big family group. And I definitely wish we could afford an around the world cruise- that would be awesome.

Have a great day folks- we are as young as we feel.

I loved Girl WIth the Dragon Tatoo! I read all 3 books and I saw the original Swedish(?) movies, as well as the American one with Daniel Craig. Have you seen the movies?

When I was young and crazy the bar we hung out in on Fridays would have a free buffet and a roast pig-brings back memories:D

I have not seen the movie but I am sure I can still rent it somewhere; I plan to after I read the books. I have all 3 so I am reading my way through.

Today I am going on a working team building outing; we will be lawn bowling at a British Pub including lunch. Should be fun; maybe I should try something new in the food department. :)

I read the Stephanie Plum books in order. I'll have to find the books that Rizzoli and Isles is based on. I love that show.

DH Harry's last cruise was on the Radiance. In 2008 we went northbound to Alaska from Vancouver and flew home from Anchorage. After he was more frail that I probably realized and in a wheelchair we went to Rome in 2007 and then a 2 week eastern med cruise on the Celebrity Galaxy, then in early 2008 a southern caribbean on HAL's Westerdam and then the Radiance. It was on that cruise to Alaska that I realized I couldn't manage him any more although he lived 3 more years.

I have a friend in the UK who is doing essentially a half way around the world cruise going from Southampton to Sydney through the Panama Canal. I think it's a 60 night cruise.

Definitely lots of pictures of the Presidential Suite. And, yes, my little condo is about the same size.

Beth

I read the first 13 Stephanie Plum books, in order (it appears I am a bit behind) but thought they were very entertaining. The Grandma is my favorite character! I want to be like her when I grow up. ;)

My hubby enjoyed the One for the MOney movie also- I guess cuz 'stephanie' is so cute!! I was disappointed in the way Ranger looked, thought he would be cuter ... I loved the scene where the guy was naked in Steph's vehicle as she was taking him to court!!

I don't see too many movies- they come out, I want to see them, I get busy then poof, they are gone! I try to buy movies tho' - then I can watch them over and over... and share with friends.

Corkey Carol

I was a little disappointed in Ranger as well, too cute, not dangerous enough! ;) At first I wasnt thrilled with Morelli but I ended up liking him for the part. Debbie Reynold looks too good to be grandma!

Edited by boopsahoy
typos

I read the first 13 Stephanie Plum books, in order (it appears I am a bit behind) but thought they were very entertaining. The Grandma is my favorite character! I want to be like her when I grow up. ;)

I listened to all the Stephanie Plum books. The audiobooks were a LOT of fun and kept me laughing and happy while driving to work :)

Lynn

I saw One for the Money and loved Sherri Shepard as Lula. Not sure about Debbie Reynolds as Grandma or as some of you have said not sure about the guy who played Ranger. Kathryn Heigel was okay as Stephanie, but just that for me.

I watch a lot of movies On Demand on TV. I sometimes to to the movies alone, but it's sometimes easier just to watch at home.

Beth

I saw One for the Money and loved Sherri Shepard as Lula. Not sure about Debbie Reynolds as Grandma or as some of you have said not sure about the guy who played Ranger. Kathryn Heigel was okay as Stephanie, but just that for me.

I watch a lot of movies On Demand on TV. I sometimes to to the movies alone, but it's sometimes easier just to watch at home.

Beth

I thought Sherri was perfect in the role! I liked Heigel better than I expected (I always pictured Sandra Bullock in that role!)

I like Katherine Heighl cuz of her other roles but I wanted Sandra Bullock to play Stephanie - Lula was a crack up - love her anyway, both Lula and Sherri...

I have the DVD The Proposal and haven't seen it yet - I started to watch the movie when we were on our Alaska cruise but it was on at 2am and we had to wake up early cuz it was 'going home day'... so I only watched 10 min of it - hubby watched my DVD and said it was good - I love Bettie White - she is #1 in my book -- have bought a couple of her books and will attempt to read them -

Lynn - I tried audio books - don't know what it is about me, but my mind wanders and I can't concentrate and I keep playing certain parts over and over - like when the Priest is saying his sermon-- (Beth will laff)...

I love hot dogs, burgers... on a cruise, I will have a burger Everyday for lunch along with a green salad - and if they have a good mixture of tuna salad, I'll have half a sandw of that and 1/2 my burger - for dinner, I am more adventurous! I do not have a burger everyday at home!! ha!ha! hubby says he should just take me to a burger joint instead of a cruise!

I also like Barbara Delinksky -and lately, I got into the MIss Julia series - by Ann B Ross - about a prim and proper mid 60 yr old who lives in either So or No Carolina... she is a crack up -

I also read the first of a series ... Maisie Dobbs - by Jennifer Winspear - takes place during WW1 (or was it WW2).. in ENgland - now I have to read the 2nd book...

ok ladies - lunch time for me - a frozen tamale that I will pop in the microwave -

Corkey Carol

I enjoyed the proposal-whats not to like with Ryan Reynolds in it:D

Not really a burger person. Once in a while I get the urge. My favorite cruise lunch is the tunaburger (tuna steak really) in Cagneys. I think I had it 7 of the 10 days of my last cruise. For breakfast I loved the crabcakes benedict-very yummy! I also had french press coffee for the first time and fell in love with it!

Miss Julia is NC but not far from SC. I found out about Miss Julia books when I went to one of the annual library fundraising lunches up in the mountains where I used to live. Ann B Ross was one of the speakers.

For anyone interested in reading interesting stories about Southern Appalachia check out Sharyn McCrumb (not her NASCAR books). Her novels are set in East Tennessee up against the NC border. I heard her one year at the same library function.

You might also like Vicki Lane who lives in the county where I lived and has written a series with a woman named Elizabeth Goodweather as her main character. You need to start with Signs in the Blood.

I now live in the same town as Nicolas Sparks, but he lives in a very upscale neighborhood, and I'm not even sure where his house is. Many of his books are set in this area of coastal North Carolina.

I also liked the Proposal - Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock and Betty White. What's not to like!

Beth

Thanx for all the suggestions Beth -

will also pass all that along to my classmates/best friends... they love to read too -

the tuna burger sounds good - I know I know... I do the tuna salad and yours is the real McCoy! thick, meaty Tuna!!

corkey

I like Katherine Heighl cuz of her other roles but I wanted Sandra Bullock to play Stephanie - Lula was a crack up - love her anyway, both Lula and Sherri...

I have the DVD The Proposal and haven't seen it yet - I started to watch the movie when we were on our Alaska cruise but it was on at 2am and we had to wake up early cuz it was 'going home day'... so I only watched 10 min of it - hubby watched my DVD and said it was good - I love Bettie White - she is #1 in my book -- have bought a couple of her books and will attempt to read them -

Lynn - I tried audio books - don't know what it is about me, but my mind wanders and I can't concentrate and I keep playing certain parts over and over - like when the Priest is saying his sermon-- (Beth will laff)...

I love hot dogs, burgers... on a cruise, I will have a burger Everyday for lunch along with a green salad - and if they have a good mixture of tuna salad, I'll have half a sandw of that and 1/2 my burger - for dinner, I am more adventurous! I do not have a burger everyday at home!! ha!ha! hubby says he should just take me to a burger joint instead of a cruise!

I also like Barbara Delinksky -and lately, I got into the MIss Julia series - by Ann B Ross - about a prim and proper mid 60 yr old who lives in either So or No Carolina... she is a crack up -

I also read the first of a series ... Maisie Dobbs - by Jennifer Winspear - takes place during WW1 (or was it WW2).. in ENgland - now I have to read the 2nd book...

ok ladies - lunch time for me - a frozen tamale that I will pop in the microwave -

Corkey Carol

I love the movie The Proposal!!! I have watched it several times and recommend it highly.

I like Barbara Delinsky, too. A lot. I haven't read any of her books in ages, for some reason...probably due to the "too many books, too little time" syndrome.

It's funny about audiobooks. I don't know many women who listen to them. They all say the same thing...their mind wanders, they drift off, etc. I've tried to figure this out and the only answer I can come up with is I'm used to focusing soooooooo intently on words. I've been a court reporter for many, many years and absolutely have to "hang" on every word. Could that be it?

I listen to audiobooks in my car. I started doing it one year when I had a long drive, and then I discovered how much I enjoyed it. Sometimes I'll listen to an audiobook of something I might not have the patience to read like a biography or something historical. But, I listen to other things, too.

That's how I "read" all the Harry Potter books.

I listen to audiobooks in my car. I started doing it one year when I had a long drive, and then I discovered how much I enjoyed it. Sometimes I'll listen to an audiobook of something I might not have the patience to read like a biography or something historical. But, I listen to other things, too.

Of course, audiobooks only "work" if the narrator is excellent. I've heard the HP books are narrated by Jim Dale, who is amazing. I haven't listened to them yet.

Do you have any other audiobook recommendations that you've loved?

Lynn

Hi all,

Hope your day is going well.

I LOVED the Proposal! I saw it right after I got back from Alaska so it was great to kind of re-live it. I have not tried audio books but I love the book itself. I was given a Kendle but have not used it yet. I read all of the Harry Potter books too; I really enjoyed that too. Last April I went to the Harry Potter Park/area at Universal; it was fun, very crowded. The Butter Beer was very tasty!

At the British Pub today I had scotch eggs; I am not sure if they are British but I liked them. :)

Hi all,

Hope your day is going well.

I LOVED the Proposal! I saw it right after I got back from Alaska so it was great to kind of re-live it. I have not tried audio books but I love the book itself. I was given a Kendle but have not used it yet. I read all of the Harry Potter books too; I really enjoyed that too. Last April I went to the Harry Potter Park/area at Universal; it was fun, very crowded. The Butter Beer was very tasty!

At the British Pub today I had scotch eggs; I am not sure if they are British but I liked them. :)

Ooohhhh. I've had Butter Beer at Harry Potter World at Universal, too. Yum.

Did you try the Pumpkin Juice? That was good, too.

I tried to download all the Harry Potters on my kindle but not available - wonder if I can get it from Ibooks on my Ipad - will have to look up - have all the books but since my retina detachment problem (had two surgeries in Nov 2008 and 5 months later)I have to read big print books or big fonts -- anyway, am giving my books to our grand nephew but I want to read them - have only read the first one.

carol

Carol, I knew you'd had the detached retina but guess I didn't realize it never got completely resolved. Does it help for us to put our posts in bigger fonts? I do it sometimes anyway but will definitely do it from now on.

Beth

I am ok Beth with the small font or med or large cuz the screen Led or whatever makes all prints nice and clear for me, just my Ipad- clear even tho' the lettering is small - it's newspaper, magazine, regular paperbacks and some books that are hard for me now...

I was just thinking the other day that after my first surgery, I had to be on my face, yep face DOWN, 24/7 for 3 weeks-- up for meals and bathroom/shower only... THEN, 5 months later, another surgery on the same eye and I was face DOWN for ' 5 ' Weeks - that was torture!! I had imaginery friends! all I did was sleep - I would listen to music, tv - but would fall asleep - talk to friends on the phone ... but most still worked so they couldn't stay too long with me - anyway, glad those days are 4 yrs away now!! carol

I am ok Beth with the small font or med or large cuz the screen Led or whatever makes all prints nice and clear for me, just my Ipad- clear even tho' the lettering is small - it's newspaper, magazine, regular paperbacks and some books that are hard for me now...

I was just thinking the other day that after my first surgery, I had to be on my face, yep face DOWN, 24/7 for 3 weeks-- up for meals and bathroom/shower only... THEN, 5 months later, another surgery on the same eye and I was face DOWN for ' 5 ' Weeks - that was torture!! I had imaginery friends! all I did was sleep - I would listen to music, tv - but would fall asleep - talk to friends on the phone ... but most still worked so they couldn't stay too long with me - anyway, glad those days are 4 yrs away now!! carol

Carol..I remember those difficult times for you. You did so well and kept up your spirits considering what you went through!! Felt so bad for you.

Laura

Oh, Corky, that must have been such a difficult time for you!!! Now, there would be a great use for audiobooks, in my opinion. What an ordeal you went through :(

I tried to download all the Harry Potters on my kindle but not available - wonder if I can get it from Ibooks on my Ipad - will have to look up - have all the books but since my retina detachment problem (had two surgeries in Nov 2008 and 5 months later)I have to read big print books or big fonts -- anyway, am giving my books to our grand nephew but I want to read them - have only read the first one.

carol

Hi, Corkey,

I believe the Harry Potter books are now available for Kindle on Amazon. You might want to check it out.

Carol..I remember those difficult times for you. You did so well and kept up your spirits considering what you went through!! Felt so bad for you.

Laura

You guys kept me going tho' - I remember Narce had to email some of my Cruise Gang and would read to me their comments and answers... c.