How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

Hello to all,

I have been lurking since this thread started and I love the upbeat feeling. Some boards have some snarky people who criticize rather than disagreeing.

I am recently retired (as of July 1) and am planning my future cruises. I have two in the works - a Disney cruise with the family and then an around the world cruise by myself.

Beth - I love mysteries but prefer the cozies. Have you tried any of Carol Higgins Clark books or the Christmas ones written by both of them?

Kathi

Welcome to all the new posters. Birthdays, around the world cruises, grandkids, food, books, cruising, travel. How exciting we old folks are. Corky, Carol you are a riot. I just went to see "The Odd life of Timothy Green," with hubby. We both cried, it was a heartwarming movie.

I am having trouble keeping up with everyone, guess I need to make a list too. I am kinda running the roll call for our Dream cruise - nobody posts but me. I make suggestions for group activities, they all want to do them, but no one wants to help out with the planning or leading part. I told em as of 11/09 I am officially on vacation. I think they consider me just an old prune or something. I am gonna show them that us old folks know how to have fun, it just takes longer. ha ha :p

Again- a warm welcome to all new posters. And a have a great day to the rest of you. :) Annette

2729879350102513289ubFcaM_ph.jpg

The Radiance..The only issue we had with the Radiance was our cabin was so noisy. It sounded like the nails were coming out of the walls and our cabin was going to take off sliding into the water. It is a beautiful ship with all the glass though.

Welcome Kathi..

Edited by Arizona Laura

The reunion is a gathering of the first cousins on my dad's side of the family. We are now the oldest generation with me as the eldest. We are scattered from the east coast to the west coast and decided about 12 years ago to meet up every few years. At first it was just the women cousins, but we're now inviting the men, too and spouses/significant others as well. There are only 8 of us in our generation, so we're not a big group.

Meanwhile some friends and I who are all solo cruisers have booked the Presidential Suite on the Freedom of the Seas for December 2013. It will be an amazing experience with 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, living and dining room and huge balcony. Sleeps 14. Lots and lots and more lots of perks.

Edited by ILoveScotland

Meant to add: One of my cousins is a cruiser who is very loyal to HAL. I'd love to have a family cruise as a get together, but I don't think I could convince everyone that we'd have a great time. Also, money would be a big issue for a couple of the cousins. And, love her though I do, truth is that my sister would probably turn her nose up at the idea.

Hello to all,

I have been lurking since this thread started and I love the upbeat feeling. Some boards have some snarky people who criticize rather than disagreeing.

I am recently retired (as of July 1) and am planning my future cruises. I have two in the works - a Disney cruise with the family and then an around the world cruise by myself.

Beth - I love mysteries but prefer the cozies. Have you tried any of Carol Higgins Clark books or the Christmas ones written by both of them?

Kathi

Hi, Kathi,

WOW! An around-the-world cruise? That sounds PERFECT.

Hello to all,

Kathi

Hi, again, Kathi...

I forgot to mention that I love cozy mysteries, too. And mysteries with humor. I can't read anything too gory/scary that will bother me or keep me awake at night.

Lynn

The reunion is a gathering of the first cousins on my dad's side of the family. We are now the oldest generation with me as the eldest. We are scattered from the east coast to the west coast and decided about 12 years ago to meet up every few years. At first it was just the women cousins, but we're now inviting the men, too and spouses/significant others as well. There are only 8 of us in our generation, so we're not a big group.

Meanwhile some friends and I who are all solo cruisers have booked the Presidential Suite on the Freedom of the Seas for December 2013. It will be an amazing experience with 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, living and dining room and huge balcony. Sleeps 14. Lots and lots and more lots of perks.

Have you SEEN the Presidential Suite? It's AMAZING. I haven't stayed in it, but I went to a party some fellow cruisers invited us to. Wow, wow, wow. You are going to LOVE it!!!

I've seen pictures and a video of the Presidential Suite, and it does look awesome.

For the mystery lovers...have you read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series? They are pure fluff but a lot of fun. I've needed something like that to read since my move, and I've now read all 18 of them with the 19th due out in the fall already purchased. Most are pretty short and such easy reads that I've read several in only a couple of days.

Beth

I have always wondered, when families book the large suites, is that big price tag per person, and if the extra people ( beyond the double occupancy rate) are charged the same 3rd 4th person rate as someone booking a lower inside cabin? I have seen some priced at 10k and can't imagine paying that ppx4!

I have always wondered, when families book the large suites, is that big price tag per person, and if the extra people ( beyond the double occupancy rate) are charged the same 3rd 4th person rate as someone booking a lower inside cabin? I have seen some priced at 10k and can't imagine paying that ppx4!

That price is for the cabin :)

Hi,

Such a nice thread. I'm 57 and will be 58 next month. Wow...can't believe that number. My sweet husband is ONLY 53, and we are newlyweds. We will be celebrating our 4th anniversary in October. We are young at heart. And he makes me feel young because I have never been so happy in all my life :)

I am so hooked on CC. It stays up on my computer at work all day long. I don't post much, but always lurking.

Nice chatting with you all and have a great day :)

Yes, the price is for the suite, so the amount we each pay is based on how many of us go on the cruise. We have to have a minimum of 8 which we have - actually I think we have 10 now.

Around the world solo would be heaven on earth - well heaven on sea! I have got to play the lottery some more or maybe one day open the door and find the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol.

Beth

Hello to all,

Kathi

Welcome Kathi -

I would love to go on an around the world cruise also - I think one of my friends was looking into one a while back - Crystal lines (too expensive for me) and it was where you can go on "legs" - you chose from where to where, get off for a while, go back on and continue, etc etc... now that sounds good instead of one continuous flow... I wonder how long a world cruise takes? I think there is one lady who "lives" on a cruise ship - Princess lines I believe it is -

anyway, glad you found this lively thread - I also find some of the other main threads have too many people who criticize and are too too serious - come on! be happy and loose!! well, maybe not too loose!!

Corkey Carol

Welcome to all the new posters. Birthdays, around the world cruises, grandkids, food, books, cruising, travel. How exciting we old folks are. Corky, Carol you are a riot. I just went to see "The Odd life of Timothy Green," with hubby. We both cried, it was a heartwarming movie.

I am having trouble keeping up with everyone, guess I need to make a list too. I am kinda running the roll call for our Dream cruise - nobody posts but me. I make suggestions for group activities, they all want to do them, but no one wants to help out with the planning or leading part. I told em as of 11/09 I am officially on vacation. I think they consider me just an old prune or something. I am gonna show them that us old folks know how to have fun, it just takes longer. ha ha :p

Again- a warm welcome to all new posters. And a have a great day to the rest of you. :) Annette

Annette: I better make my list too - I am so excited that this thread has grown and attracted such a group of lively "YOUNG" folks like US... that sounds like me, I will participate but you do all the planning - ha!ha! ask AZ Laura, we were on a cruise together and she is a good organizer, I just said, ok, I'll be there.

Corkey Carol

Thanx for the Radiance pics Laura, I still remember like it was yesterday when we did the inuagural on her (Panama Canal) - they didn't have any brown sugar for my oatmeal - I was disappointed - when Narce and I went entered our stateroom, they had crew members in there so it wasn't ready and they upgraded us to the 10th deck instead of 7th where we were suppose to be... so that made up for the for brown sugar ...

Beth - I love Stephanie Plum-- my mistake was - I didn't read them in order and have forgotten what I have and have not read - I think I have the 17th and 18th in my Kindle to read - she is a hoot and one gal I cruise with who lives in NJ says all the streets and places are familiar to her so she enjoys that series too - I saw the movie with Katherine Heigl, One for the MOney - it was cute.

Another series folks have been talking about is the one based on the TV show - Rizzoli and ???

suppose to be good books.

And Oh!! the Prez Suite!! you will have to post pics!! that is bigger than most houses -

ok ladies, more later - I need to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into right now... corkey

I love this thread. My husband is almost 65 and retired, I am 63 and have two more years to work. We were high school sweethearts (ages 15 and 18). Been married for 44 years. I have to tell my Senior Cruise story to people that appreciate it.

We were on the Magic out of Galveston in Feb 2012. We sat home Memorial Day, July 4th he was helping move our son and daughter-in-law to Phoenix. So I firmly informed him that WE WOULD NOT sit home over Labor Day. I started looking and found a real reasonable senior rate for a balcony on the Triumph 5 day cruise. Carnival would assign us our room, but I did not care, just get me on a ship. Well less than 1 month later we get our room assignment and it is an aft extended balcony! It would have cost us about $400 more originally. I am thrilled!! That's why I love being a senior.

Forgot to add -- I love it that you are together all these years - I have a lot of friends who were going "steady" in high school, got married right after graduation and are still together! Super great....

corkey

Hello to all,

Kathi

Lucky you! A world cruise is my goal when I retire too. You will have to let us know all about it.

Welcome to this post. I just joined myself and so far everyone has been great.

In the book area, I really liked the 'Girl with the dragon tatoo' by Stieg Larson and am now reading the second one "The girl who played with fire'. It is good too. Has anyone else read them?

Anyone had something really good to eat today? We had a pig roast at work so the pork sandwiches were marvelous! (wanted to keep the food discussion going) :D.

Lucky you! A world cruise is my goal when I retire too. You will have to let us know all about it.

In the book area, I really liked the 'Girl with the dragon tatoo' by Stieg Larson and am now reading the second one "The girl who played with fire'. It is good too. Has anyone else read them?

Anyone had something really good to eat today? We had a pig roast at work so the pork sandwiches were marvelous! (wanted to keep the food discussion going) :D.

Pig roast like on a spit? my BIL is known for his pig roasts -- every family get together he does it - now he's teaching his grandson who is 10 cuz his 2 sons are not interested - and neither is my husband altho' he loves to eat it.

corkey carol

I loved Girl WIth the Dragon Tatoo! I read all 3 books and I saw the original Swedish(?) movies, as well as the American one with Daniel Craig. Have you seen the movies?

When I was young and crazy the bar we hung out in on Fridays would have a free buffet and a roast pig-brings back memories:D

Beth - I love Stephanie Plum-- my mistake was - I didn't read them in order and have forgotten what I have and have not read - I think I have the 17th and 18th in my Kindle to read - she is a hoot and one gal I cruise with who lives in NJ says all the streets and places are familiar to her so she enjoys that series too - I saw the movie with Katherine Heigl, One for the MOney - it was cute.

Another series folks have been talking about is the one based on the TV show - Rizzoli and ???

suppose to be good books.

And Oh!! the Prez Suite!! you will have to post pics!! that is bigger than most houses -

ok ladies, more later - I need to see what kind of trouble I can get myself into right now... corkey

I read the Stephanie Plum books in order. I'll have to find the books that Rizzoli and Isles is based on. I love that show.

DH Harry's last cruise was on the Radiance. In 2008 we went northbound to Alaska from Vancouver and flew home from Anchorage. After he was more frail that I probably realized and in a wheelchair we went to Rome in 2007 and then a 2 week eastern med cruise on the Celebrity Galaxy, then in early 2008 a southern caribbean on HAL's Westerdam and then the Radiance. It was on that cruise to Alaska that I realized I couldn't manage him any more although he lived 3 more years.

I have a friend in the UK who is doing essentially a half way around the world cruise going from Southampton to Sydney through the Panama Canal. I think it's a 60 night cruise.

Definitely lots of pictures of the Presidential Suite. And, yes, my little condo is about the same size.

Beth

The Stephanie plum books are great, and I enjoyed the movie-even my DH liked it!

60 DAY CRUISE! *faints*

My hubby enjoyed the One for the MOney movie also- I guess cuz 'stephanie' is so cute!! I was disappointed in the way Ranger looked, thought he would be cuter ... I loved the scene where the guy was naked in Steph's vehicle as she was taking him to court!!

I don't see too many movies- they come out, I want to see them, I get busy then poof, they are gone! I try to buy movies tho' - then I can watch them over and over... and share with friends.

Corkey Carol

I read the Stephanie Plum books in order. I'll have to find the books that Rizzoli and Isles is based on. I love that show.

DH Harry's last cruise was on the Radiance. In 2008 we went northbound to Alaska from Vancouver and flew home from Anchorage. After he was more frail that I probably realized and in a wheelchair we went to Rome in 2007 and then a 2 week eastern med cruise on the Celebrity Galaxy, then in early 2008 a southern caribbean on HAL's Westerdam and then the Radiance. It was on that cruise to Alaska that I realized I couldn't manage him any more although he lived 3 more years.

I have a friend in the UK who is doing essentially a half way around the world cruise going from Southampton to Sydney through the Panama Canal. I think it's a 60 night cruise.

Definitely lots of pictures of the Presidential Suite. And, yes, my little condo is about the same size.

Beth

I remember Harry, altho' I never had the chance to meet him, he sounded so sweet -- at least he was able to go on those cruises before his final rest.

Wow! 60 days on a cruise ship - I would be totally spoiled rotten!! gee, can I afford the tip ?

Carol