How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

Today's my birthday and everyone is gone....just me and a few fish in my aquarium! So, I will celebrate with the over 55 group! Actually my family was here yesterday, at least 16 of us! Best part about this whole thing, I thought I was a year older than I am....just realized it a few weeks ago!...Woo Hoo!

A belated Happy Birthday to you!! I hope you are still celebrating...:D

This is what 1/2 of my wardrobe is like...I live in MN and would have all of those things already! Do not forget gloves. :)

My problem is that I moved from the NC mountains to coastal NC in June and got rid of some of my heavier clothing since winters are mild here. However, even then I didn't need thermal underwear or ski pants although I guess I could have worn them a few times. I had some old snow boots, but I threw them away.

I think I'm about finished buying the extras I need since I do have a heavy coat with a hood that is also a rain coat, and I have some gloves that should work.

For now I just need to pack a few colder weather items for a day in NYC in a couple of weeks, and then it's down to the Caribbean where there is definitely no cold.

Beth

I thought I was the only one who didn't know how old I am....I agree with having a late in the year birthday....you do feel as if you become "of age" when January rolls around! Thanks for the Birthday wishes!

I was listening to Psy - the guy who does Gangnam --- he said when you are born - in Korea, anyway and probably in other Asian countries, you are already 1 as soon as yuo are born - hmmmm - probably like prepaying something the beginning of the year instead of paying AFTER the yr -- anyway, interesting cuz his real name is Jason Park !! ha!ha! and yes, I do like the dance... Carol

Thought I'd give us a lift this morning since no one has posted for a couple of days.

North Carolina began early voting yesterday. I volunteered at one of the election sites handing out literature for one of the political parties - not legal to say which one here but wouldn't anyway. One idea behind early voting is to reduce the lines on election day. OMG, the line was 30 minutes long at 8:00 a.m. and stayed that way. I had planned to vote when my 2 hour volunteer shift was over, but no way.

I'm going back this morning at 10:00 and volunteer for another couple of hours. Today I'll vote even if I have to stand in line a while. I'll be in the Caribbean on election day so have to do it now. I'm a big believer in voting - how can I complain about or rejoice in the outcome if I don't vote? Not trying to make a political statement here either, just post my own behavior. I've probably missed fewer than 5 elections in my lifetime, and those were for local elections only when I didn't know the candidates.

Realized yesterday I leave in less than 2 weeks and haven't done anything about sorting things to pack. Think I'll do that over the weekend.

Speaking of which...have a good weekend everyone whatever you're doing.

Beth

Thought I'd give us a lift this morning since no one has posted for a couple of days.

North Carolina began early voting yesterday. I volunteered at one of the election sites handing out literature for one of the political parties - not legal to say which one here but wouldn't anyway. One idea behind early voting is to reduce the lines on election day. OMG, the line was 30 minutes long at 8:00 a.m. and stayed that way. I had planned to vote when my 2 hour volunteer shift was over, but no way.

I'm going back this morning at 10:00 and volunteer for another couple of hours. Today I'll vote even if I have to stand in line a while. I'll be in the Caribbean on election day so have to do it now. I'm a big believer in voting - how can I complain about or rejoice in the outcome if I don't vote? Not trying to make a political statement here either, just post my own behavior. I've probably missed fewer than 5 elections in my lifetime, and those were for local elections only when I didn't know the candidates.

Realized yesterday I leave in less than 2 weeks and haven't done anything about sorting things to pack. Think I'll do that over the weekend.

Speaking of which...have a good weekend everyone whatever you're doing.

Beth

Have a wonderful vacation Beth, and a good weekend

everyone. Gloria :)

I was listening to Psy - the guy who does Gangnam --- he said when you are born - in Korea, anyway and probably in other Asian countries, you are already 1 as soon as yuo are born - hmmmm - probably like prepaying something the beginning of the year instead of paying AFTER the yr -- anyway, interesting cuz his real name is Jason Park !! ha!ha! and yes, I do like the dance... Carol

I believe Asian countries count time inside the womb.

I believe Asian countries count time inside the womb.

Now that makes sense- never thought of it that way - 9 months is almost a year - I am Asian but we don't do that... if anything, I'd like the SUBTRACT my years if possible!! ha!ha! except it's nice to collect SS and get on Medicare so forget that idea!! heehee!

Carol

We also believe in voting - one or two votes can make that big difference -- we do an absentee and have been for years now since most of the time we are gone during election day - so just kept it up even tho' we are home...

Two weeks Beth!!.... it'll go by fast so hope you will start packing! I am a last min person and need to TRY to do something about my cruise - at least start with the toiletries, put some clothes out, etc.

Excited for you...........I get excited when others go on cruises too!! can you imagine how I feel when I go on one? ha!ha!

carol

I stood in line for about an hour, but I did vote today. I have no other obligations until Tuesday so am going to use the weekend and Monday to sort my clothes and toiletries and other things I need to pack for New York and then the cruise.

I have an overnight trip on Wednesday, but I won't need much for that plus I will only need casual clothes.

Carol, I get excited for others, too, and I love to hear where people plan to go, where they've been and where they want to go. My upcoming cruise up the coast of Norway is something I've wanted to do for almost 20 years. I would probably not have known about the coastal cruises on the small ships if I hadn't had a conversation with someone who'd done it and told me all about it.

It's been a lovely, warm day with some rain that's now gone out to sea.

Beth

The Norway trip is definitely an adventure you will have to share with us Beth - thank goodness Tom can give us pointers - Thank You for finding us, Tom!!!

I loved being on Oslo just for our stop during our Best of Europe cruise in the late 90's - we took the bus, walked thru the Park with all the nice statues, went thru some museums - have to get out my pics to remember all that we took in that day - it was non-stop and we really enjoyed it -

Narce was so excited when we were in Amsterdam - his favorite beer is Heineken -- so we thought we would be able to tour the factory, but it was closed that day!! so disappointing! but I took his pic in front of it - also my very first time to ride in a taxi that was a Mercedes -

Carol

Carol, I haven't been to any of the Scandanavian countries. I also haven't been to Amsterdam or the Netherlands. I've done land trips to Germany, Austria, Switzerland and a bit of Belgium and France plus Rome for a few days pre-cruise. I've been to Scotland 7 times and England a bunch, too.

My bucket lists includes a cruise around the tip of South America - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso or vice versa with an excursion down to Antartica and a safari to Kenya and Tanzania. Within the last year I've decided I'd like to go to Australia. Oh, and I want to climb Mt. Everest - don't think that will happen nor could it ever have happened, but I am intrigued by those who do. I would love to see the Himalayas, though.

I need to win the lottery, because my rich aunt died and didn't leave me any of her wealth! :D;)

Beth

Carol, I haven't been to any of the Scandanavian countries. I also haven't been to Amsterdam or the Netherlands. I've done land trips to Germany, Austria, Switzerland and a bit of Belgium and France plus Rome for a few days pre-cruise. I've been to Scotland 7 times and England a bunch, too.

My bucket lists includes a cruise around the tip of South America - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso or vice versa with an excursion down to Antartica and a safari to Kenya and Tanzania. Within the last year I've decided I'd like to go to Australia. Oh, and I want to climb Mt. Everest - don't think that will happen nor could it ever have happened, but I am intrigued by those who do. I would love to see the Himalayas, though.

I need to win the lottery, because my rich aunt died and didn't leave me any of her wealth! :D;)

Beth

I think I will leave our nieces/nephews all our Bills - ha!ha!

I want to start going to places I have never been to - ! I better start making my list - cuz that means it's the entire world! carol

I think I will leave our nieces/nephews all our Bills - ha!ha!

I want to start going to places I have never been to - ! I better start making my list - cuz that means it's the entire world! carol

Carol, that's my problem. I really do want to see the entire world. And, at this point I also want to go places I've never been. That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the March cruise. But it's also why I want to go around the tip of South America and to East Africa and to Nepal and the South Sea islands and on and on and on - I'm going to have to live to be 150 to do it all!

That doesn't mean I won't continue to enjoy cruising for the relaxation and enjoyment of it all.

Beth

Edited by ILoveScotland

Beth

Hi Beth

Impressive list!! Liz and I are working on various lists. Hers includes visiting every one of the 800 or so covered bridges in the US. We both like to visit National Parks and I like to ride trains. Upcoming cruises besides Panama Canal include Vantage Yangtze river cruise(2014)

Tom:)

All this talk about traveling all over the world sounds really fun to me! One of the things on my bucket list is an around-the-world cruise. I think that would be great. I am currently saving for it because it can be quite a bit of $$ to put out at once.

Does anyone know someone who has done one? Which cruiseline would be the best, they don't all do them?

Hope all are well; seems so. This week was pretty uneventful for me.

(I wish I was going on a cruise in 2 weeks.....;))

Have a great day all.........:D

All this talk about traveling all over the world sounds really fun to me! One of the things on my bucket list is an around-the-world cruise. I think that would be great. I am currently saving for it because it can be quite a bit of $$ to put out at once.

Does anyone know someone who has done one? Which cruiseline would be the best, they don't all do them?

Hope all are well; seems so. This week was pretty uneventful for me.

(I wish I was going on a cruise in 2 weeks.....;))

Have a great day all.........:D

I don't know anyone who's done a complete around-the-world cruise, but I know someone in England who is going from Southampton to Sydney, Australia leaving in a month or so. I think they will be at sea about 65 or maybe 70 days. I can't remember which cruise line, but I'll find out and keep you posted.

Beth

Hi All!

Have you seen the cruise prices this week? I am thinking of a 9 day out of NYC in January. Has anyone ever done a cruise from NYC? I know it will be cold at first but it goes to the Caribbean (warmness). I will be going solo (has anyone done a 9 day cruise solo?).

The exciting news at this house is that I am having 3 new kitchen appliances installed this week.....such excitement!

Hope all are well. :D

Hi All!

Have you seen the cruise prices this week? I am thinking of a 9 day out of NYC in January. Has anyone ever done a cruise from NYC? I know it will be cold at first but it goes to the Caribbean (warmness). I will be going solo (has anyone done a 9 day cruise solo?).

The exciting news at this house is that I am having 3 new kitchen appliances installed this week.....such excitement!

Cruising out of New York Harbor is magical - well, I think it is. I've only done it one time so far, and that was in August. I'll sail out of Cape Liberty in a week and a half. Cape Liberty is just across the harbor from Manhattan. I'm a bit concerned about the weather the day we leave, but we'll be heading south winding up in San Juan, so after a day we should hit warm waters.

I did a transatlantic solo six years ago. That's when I met Corkey Carol. Get active on your roll call, and you'll have friends before you get on the ship.

Right now my concern is Tropical Storm Sandy which is in the Caribbean. The forecast is that she'll probably become a hurricane but is expected to stay offshore. I can only hope so.

Beth

Hi All!

Im taking the 9day this January and I took the 10day in January for the past few years. The first day is chilly, the 2nd day starts to get warm. Going home the last day is chilly.

Cruising out of New York Harbor is magical - well, I think it is. I've only done it one time so far, and that was in August. I'll sail out of Cape Liberty in a week and a half. Cape Liberty is just across the harbor from Manhattan. I'm a bit concerned about the weather the day we leave, but we'll be heading south winding up in San Juan, so after a day we should hit warm waters.

I did a transatlantic solo six years ago. That's when I met Corkey Carol. Get active on your roll call, and you'll have friends before you get on the ship.

Right now my concern is Tropical Storm Sandy which is in the Caribbean. The forecast is that she'll probably become a hurricane but is expected to stay offshore. I can only hope so.

Beth

Hopefully Sandy will behave and leave all you crusiers to your fun! Would love to hear about your upcoming cruise when you get back. :)

Hopefully Sandy will behave and leave all you crusiers to your fun! Would love to hear about your upcoming cruise when you get back. :)

My more serious concern re: Sandy is that I live only about 25 miles from the Atlantic. My condo is on a small canal, and it was flooded during Hurricane Irene last year - not horribly flooded but flooded none the less. So, for now I keep close tabs on Sandy for very, very personal reasons.

Beth

Im taking the 9day this January and I took the 10day in January for the past few years. The first day is chilly, the 2nd day starts to get warm. Going home the last day is chilly.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going on 18 Jan and I see that is when you are going. Is there a Roll Call; I'll look for it. :)

Be back to chat - dental appt.... had to rush down to Los Angeles over the weekend to visit my cousin who is hospitalized - she has acute leukemia - had 5 blood transfusions within a week and now she is undergoing chemo for 7 straight days - hope she will be ok if not, then bone marrow options will have to be considered-- boy! Narce was driving the 5-1/2 hrs to and fro but I was the one who was tired - sleeping while sitting up is not very comfy! it would have been ok if I had been dreaming of cruises!! in this case, YOUR cruises ... I have to wait til Dec for mine!

carol