How do we liven up this board?

Banditswife

Hi

Thanks Mary. Belated Anniversary wishes to Carol. We have booked Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos trip for Mar 2015--45th anniversary. We enjoy retirement.

I worked rotating shifts for 33 yrs and I was frequently 4-midnight on our anniversary.

Tom:)

Same with my hubby - for 13 yrs he worked rotating shifts too - only two weekends off per month... so we experienced being apart on many occasions - like Christmas, New Years and our anniversaries - but for the last 24 yrs (yes, he's been at work or 37 yrs now and should be planning to retire soon-- of course he started there when he was 22 yrs old) he's been on days with all weekends and holidays off -

that Galapagos cruise should be super nice, Tom-- can't wait to see your pics and hear about that! carol

Kiwis Afloat, it sounds like you had a great time the 1st of March at your concert, and the "weather, " how great can that be?

It just turned Spring here in KC, MO, but...........it does NOT feel like it here. :( In fact, they are predicting a pretty bad snow/ice storm over this weekend. Time will tell. I will be GLAD when Spring "offically" (weatherwise) comes here to KC. :)

Tom47, glad to read that Julia is doing fine now.

We were very concerned when our Spina Bifida grandson was born. At this point, and still do not know, if he will ever walk, but he is sure "trying" hard to take steps with his walker, and crutches.

One of God's miracles was, when he turned 4 last October, he started to talk for the first time!:) He did know sign language, but this is awesome news for us.

Tom47, glad to read that Julia is doing fine now.

We were very concerned when our Spina Bifida grandson was born. At this point, and still do not know, if he will ever walk, but he is sure "trying" hard to take steps with his walker, and crutches.

One of God's miracles was, when he turned 4 last October, he started to talk for the first time!:) He did know sign language, but this is awesome news for us.

Thanks for the good wishes. My best wishes for your grandson. Julia and Pat are scheduled for sinus surgery in a couple of weeks.

Julia performed a singing solo recently at a school Christmas pageant. Pat was there w. parents and brother Donny to watch. There was a backdrop wall w. a portrait of Jesus. In the middle of the performance Pat yelled out "I see Jesus." The performance was recorded and Pat can be heard when they play it for various classes. Julia says "Even when he is not here, my brother embarrasses me!"

On another topic, does anyone watch either The Vikings(History) or Top of the Lake(Sundance)--last one set in New Zealand? Both have some gorgeous scenery.

• 3 weeks later...
I enjoy chatting with fellow cruisers, would love to share experiences with others over 55. This section of the board is just pretty dead. DH & I are both over 55 & looking forward to a relaxing as well as exciting cruise aboard the Dream in Nov, 2012.

I believe it's livened up quite a lot since I was here last ...maybe 6 months ago. I agree that most CCers like to chat on their roll call or cruise line thread.

I need to come in here more often - I like the folks who are here - anyway, Hello to everyone - I booked 3 cruises ( a 4 and a 5 day on the same ship - and an Oasis one before this mini B2B... ) and no one is on the roll calls!!

Carol

Hi everyone!

We attended our daughter's university graduation ceremony today. It was wonderful. It began with a street parade which was led by a row of bagpipe players. My (Scottish) mother went 'tingly" with excitement. The graduands (I learnt that they are not graduates until they have been "capped") were then piped into the auditorium where there were speeches and cultural performances as well as each student being "capped". We are proud parents here tonight.:)

I hope you are all enjoying your day wherever in the world you are.

Mary

Hi everyone!

We attended our daughter's university graduation ceremony today. It was wonderful. It began with a street parade which was led by a row of bagpipe players. My (Scottish) mother went 'tingly" with excitement. The graduands (I learnt that they are not graduates until they have been "capped") were then piped into the auditorium where there were speeches and cultural performances as well as each student being "capped". We are proud parents here tonight.:)

I hope you are all enjoying your day wherever in the world you are.

Mary

Congrats to your Daughter ... and to HER proud Family!! sounds so grand and colorful - what is her major?

Carol

Hi Carol,

Thank you. Yes, it was wonderful. Her major is Media Studies.

Three cruises for you! Wow! :D You are going to have a great time. Where and when will you be cruising? I would love to try the Oasis one day. She seems almost unreal. I enjoy reading people's reviews of her.

Mary:)

Hi Carol,

Thank you. Yes, it was wonderful. Her major is Media Studies.

Three cruises for you! Wow! :D You are going to have a great time. Where and when will you be cruising? I would love to try the Oasis one day. She seems almost unreal. I enjoy reading people's reviews of her.

Mary:)

The Oasis is an adventure - well, at least the Allure was - amazing ships - that's why we are eager to go on the Oasis now - good for your daughter - now on to conquer the World!!! congrats again!

carol

• 2 weeks later...

>> As our island is quite small (compare to USA it's minute) so we are never too far from a beach.

Drewlin:

I read this in your post last August (page 11) and wondered where your "small island" was. Maybe in the Mediterranean perhaps? Then I looked up at your location - "Wigan, UK."

Folks here should know that Wigan is (unfairly) the butt of English jokes about the North of England. Eh opp, lads and lassies, it's where they talk like this, don't tha knowest?

To those of us who were born and lived in the south UK it seemed like another country. We'd noticed that there was a book called "The road to Wigan pier" (there isn't a pier). Eventually I lived for a while in the north of the country, and, after 42 years there came to the US, where I've been for the last quarter-century - about 15 miles from the beach.

Anyway, all the best with your cruising.

Dave.

That graduation in Scotland sounded great.:)

I had just mentioned to my husband a day or two ago, we will probably be getting graduation announcements very shortly, as it is that time of the year.:)

I live in Kansas City (Gladstone), Missouri. I work (I should be retired but I love my job working for a large corporation) about 3 minutes from the airport.

We are having beautiful weather of 80's, which is above normal, but we are LOVING it.:) It is to get down to the 30's later this week.:(

How does one do mail for a 35 day cruise ????

we used to vacation for that length of time but now we are usually gone for 21 days max --- I pay bills online as much as I can or pay ahead - other than that' date=' the post office has the pleasure of babysitting my mail!! where are you going? I'd like to be on a cruise for that length of time -- carol[/color']

That graduation in Scotland sounded great.:)

I had just mentioned to my husband a day or two ago, we will probably be getting graduation announcements very shortly, as it is that time of the year.:)

I live in Kansas City (Gladstone), Missouri. I work (I should be retired but I love my job working for a large corporation) about 3 minutes from the airport.

We are having beautiful weather of 80's, which is above normal, but we are LOVING it.:) It is to get down to the 30's later this week.:(

the weather has been so nice in our area now that last Sat we went to a birthday party for a friend and had BBQ... this Sun will be another get together - and Yes, I know the grad invites will be coming as well as the wedding invitations - we have two for Oct aleady, both for the same day so I have to pick the one who sent it first - carol

Are you saying what do you do for your mail while you are gone, or how to send out mail in the 35 days?

If it is while you are gone, I would get the Post Office to hold it,or have a relative or friend that you could TRUST to pick it up for you.

If you are wanting to mail out mail in this 35 days, I would bring plenty of stamps, envelopes and paper to do the mailings with.

I'll be gone for 3 weeks starting May 17 - I am going to try to pay as many bills as I can - when I get back, i'll be ok cuz then the rest will be due afterwards -

I'll have my ipad with me so I can also pay online...

I'll be in Hawaii with my cousin in her condo - (she lives in San Francisco and they bought a condo for their vacations and retirement in a couple more yrs) ... and hubby will be in Africa same time as when I am gone -

carol

I'll be gone for 3 weeks starting May 17 - I am going to try to pay as many bills as I can - when I get back, i'll be ok cuz then the rest will be due afterwards -

I'll have my ipad with me so I can also pay online...

I'll be in Hawaii with my cousin in her condo - (she lives in San Francisco and they bought a condo for their vacations and retirement in a couple more yrs) ... and hubby will be in Africa same time as when I am gone -

carol

Hi Carol

I hope you enjoy your trip to Hawaii.

Mary, congrats to your daughter.

Beshears, I'm pleased that your grandson can talk. I know very little about Spina bifida. I had a colleague(US Customs Inspectors) who had a child w. Spina Bifida. He was stationed at Sault Ste. Marie,Michigan. I worked at Buffalo/Niagara Falls and we were in Washington, DC for a weeks training before going to Europe(me to Bulgaria, him to Romania) to serve as SAMs(Sanctions Assistance Monitors) during the Bosnian war.

He told me that he made the 4 hr drive from Sault Ste. Marie to Detroit Children's hospital once a month for a treatment session. I hope that your grandson is closer than that to a Children's hospital.

We have just returned from N. Carolina. While we were there Pat came down w. a fever and a horrible rash. Our DD and DSIL took him to the local hospital ER after talking to his CF doctor. His CF doctor, after seeing initial test results, had him transferred by ambulance to Charlotte Children's hospital--about 45 minutes.

Pat went home after 24 hrs and back to school 3 days later. Pat was given medication to reduce the rash that caused him to sleep most of the time. At 1 point his CF doctor was examining him and looked inside his mouth for the rash. Pat, sleep talking, said very distinctly;"If you do that again, I will bite your finger off." He later told his mom that he dreamt a giant robot had stuck his finger in his mouth.

Pat's CF doctor diagnosed the rash as a severe, delayed reaction to PICC line antibiotics. He came home from his sinus surgery w. PICC line and Gin did twice daily antibiotics for 2 wks. A visiting nurse stopped by twice a week to check on Pat. The PICC line had come out 3 days before the rash appeared.

I, too, am looking forward to hearing about the Allure. I have watched a program about the building of the Oasis and have been fascinated ever since.

Wasn't that show great? We went on a behind the scenes tour of Liberty of the Seas but would love to do one on Allure or Oasis. I know it would be fun. I'll be on Allure this year, Oasis next year, so hopefully I can do a tour on one of them.

Another fun thing to do, according to other cruisers, is take the free tour through Central Park and learn about all the trees and plants. We love Central Park, so peaceful.

Just found this board, I'm 58, it's nice to chat with people who know that it's great to be over 55 and how to really enjoy life!

The Oasis is an adventure - well, at least the Allure was - amazing ships - that's why we are eager to go on the Oasis now

carol

They are amazing. I had been on one short cruise with a group of ladies, but hubby and I decided on the Allure for our first cruise together. We liked it so much we went on the Oasis the next year. We'll be on Allure in November this year, Western route, then we're taking the Oasis Trans Atlantic cruise from Rotterdam in 2014. Can't wait for that one. So much to do on those ships, 8 days at sea will fly by.

Wasn't that show great? We went on a behind the scenes tour of Liberty of the Seas but would love to do one on Allure or Oasis. I know it would be fun. I'll be on Allure this year, Oasis next year, so hopefully I can do a tour on one of them.

Another fun thing to do, according to other cruisers, is take the free tour through Central Park and learn about all the trees and plants. We love Central Park, so peaceful.

Just found this board, I'm 58, it's nice to chat with people who know that it's great to be over 55 and how to really enjoy life!

thanx for joining us = come in often and anytime!! yes, the years fly by and they are only numbers - just continue to enjoy life and think young - will be back later - need to pay some bills!!ha!ha!

yeah, that task never ends too!!

Carol

Hi Carol

I hope you enjoy your trip to Hawaii.

Mary, congrats to your daughter.

Beshears, I'm pleased that your grandson can talk. I know very little about Spina bifida. I had a colleague(US Customs Inspectors) who had a child w. Spina Bifida. He was stationed at Sault Ste. Marie,Michigan. I worked at Buffalo/Niagara Falls and we were in Washington, DC for a weeks training before going to Europe(me to Bulgaria, him to Romania) to serve as SAMs(Sanctions Assistance Monitors) during the Bosnian war.

He told me that he made the 4 hr drive from Sault Ste. Marie to Detroit Children's hospital once a month for a treatment session. I hope that your grandson is closer than that to a Children's hospital.

We have just returned from N. Carolina. While we were there Pat came down w. a fever and a horrible rash. Our DD and DSIL took him to the local hospital ER after talking to his CF doctor. His CF doctor, after seeing initial test results, had him transferred by ambulance to Charlotte Children's hospital--about 45 minutes.

Pat went home after 24 hrs and back to school 3 days later. Pat was given medication to reduce the rash that caused him to sleep most of the time. At 1 point his CF doctor was examining him and looked inside his mouth for the rash. Pat, sleep talking, said very distinctly;"If you do that again, I will bite your finger off." He later told his mom that he dreamt a giant robot had stuck his finger in his mouth.

Pat's CF doctor diagnosed the rash as a severe, delayed reaction to PICC line antibiotics. He came home from his sinus surgery w. PICC line and Gin did twice daily antibiotics for 2 wks. A visiting nurse stopped by twice a week to check on Pat. The PICC line had come out 3 days before the rash appeared.

Hi Tom - so glad Pat is better - that's funny about his dream!!

Yes, I'll have fun in Hawaii - I will be surrounded by Ocean like on a cruise, but not sailing on it!! heehee!

carol

They are amazing. I had been on one short cruise with a group of ladies, but hubby and I decided on the Allure for our first cruise together. We liked it so much we went on the Oasis the next year. We'll be on Allure in November this year, Western route, then we're taking the Oasis Trans Atlantic cruise from Rotterdam in 2014. Can't wait for that one. So much to do on those ships, 8 days at sea will fly by.

Before going on the Allure last Dec 2012, I always wanted to go on those mega ships but hubby thought they would be too big and too crowded... not so, he found out - and after Allure, he told me to book for the Oasis, which will happen on Feb 2014 - I am glad he liked that mega ship - and they are so big that we never felt that it was crowded at all - esp if you can make rezzies ahead of time and all we did was breeze thru the lines and get to our seats for the shows.

Now I am looking forward to the new Quantum - my friends and I are trying to go Spring 2015...

The TA of the Oasis is so popular - seems like it was booked during the first day the schedule for the TA came out!

Carol

Before going on the Allure last Dec 2012, I always wanted to go on those mega ships but hubby thought they would be too big and too crowded... not so, he found out - and after Allure, he told me to book for the Oasis, which will happen on Feb 2014

Now I am looking forward to the new Quantum - my friends and I are trying to go Spring 2015...

The TA of the Oasis is so popular - seems like it was booked during the first day the schedule for the TA came out!

Carol

I know, that is exactly how my hubby felt. He didn't want to go cruising at all, then I convinced him to try it and our first was the Allure. We tried a few other lines and he said, let's go back on the big ones!

Quantum looks interesting, especially the big pod that takes you out over the ocean. I'll love that if we go on the Quantum. I wonder if the Anthem will be based in Florida since the Quantum is in NY. I could wait for that one instead of having to fly to NY for the Quantum.

I booked the TransAtlantic the first day and wanted a Junior Suite. They didn't have any but then, as I was talking to the Rep, one popped back into the inventory. So we grabbed it! Figure for a trip that long, the extra room is nice. There are cabins still available, but some are only available from Southampton rather than Rotterdam. We found out that a lot of Travel agents are taking the ship from Rotterdam to Southampton, then they'll get off and the Southampton cruisers will get on. We're going all the way from Rotterdam to Fort Lauderdale. Can't wait.

Just noticed you are a Pink Boa cruiser - was with a gang of them on the Navigator last Feb - fun people - very nice and friendly -

What is the route of the Oasis's TA?

I forgot about the other new ship - Anthem - if we sail from NJ, we are ok since we have family in NJ -- i'd rather sail from Fl tho' - we love Ft Lauder...

Carol