Loyal To Royal Because....

I try really hard to make a vacation out of the itineraries that Royal offers, but I really want to try some other ones, like Alaska that are different with Princess.

I'm loyal to Royal though, because I know what to expect and am comfortable with handling the booking. I know nothing much about the other lines and it seems daunting to learn everything in time to book and get a preferred room.

Anyone else loyal to Royal for that reason? :confused:

No, I can't say I'm loyal for that reason. I actually like going through a process I'm not familiar with. I have branched out more than once. In fact, I just cruised HAL just because of the itinerary. However, I keep coming back because I have yet to fnd an RCI equal.

I do suggest trying Princess if it compels you. Sometimes changing things up is a good thing. :)

No, I can't say I'm loyal for that reason. I actually like going through a process I'm not familiar with. I have branched out more than once. In fact, I just cruised HAL just because of the itinerary. However, I keep coming back because I have yet to fnd an RCI equal.

I do suggest trying Princess if it compels you. Sometimes changing things up is a good thing. :)

Thanks for letting me know you survived trying something else. I just worry I won't be able to learn everything in time to make it the best experience.

I can't make many comparisons, because we have only sailed Princess twice and RCL 3 times. We have had wonderful cruises with both, although our last Princess cruise was in 2006 yet we overall prefer RCL. We will sail Princess again should the itinerary and cost be doable, but lately they have out priced us from sailing with them.

Think of it as staying at a Hyatt instead of a Westin. The lines are more similar than different, and you will find that the differences are largely inconsequential.

And you don't need to know everything before you go. I find that a large part of the fun is discovering things as I go along.:)

I can't make many comparisons, because we have only sailed Princess twice and RCL 3 times. We have had wonderful cruises with both, although our last Princess cruise was in 2006 yet we overall prefer RCL. We will sail Princess again should the itinerary and cost be doable, but lately they have out priced us from sailing with them.

Yeah, they seem really pricey!

I am mostly loyal to Royal as well, but like you, heard great things about Princess in Alaska. I have to admit I LOVED it and am going back for the second year in a row!

Royal's ships are hands down the best for the Caribbean, in my opinion....however I couldn't quite see myself doing a lot of the things I love with Royal in a cold weather environment.

I also enjoy switching things up a little bit so I don't get "tired" of the same menu, same venues, etc. It is nice and refreshing, imo, to see the differences in the lines.

I will probably continue to look at Royal first, but will not hesitate to try another line. I know this will delay my "Diamond" quest, but I don't cruise for status first....that is my reward for loyalty.

Of course, all my opinion...some people really like the comfort of knowing the way things will flow and the familiarity and that is OK too! I have yet to have a cruise that didn't measure up or wasn't enjoyable and don't expect to have one anytime in the future either. (knock on wood, I sail out next week for my 2nd Princess Alaska cruise!!!)

I'm not sure what your fears are in relation to other cruise lines.

You are definitely a creature of habit (not a bad thing, just an observation from your history). You've been on four cruises and 3 of 4 were on the same ship?

It appears you had a number of years between your last cruise and the one before....I would surmise that you experienced more changes with RCI w/in those years between your cruises than you would with a different cruise line.

These mega ships really have more similarities than differences. We've been on HAL, Princess, RCI, Celebrity and even an unbelievable 17 day Panama Canal on a Carnival ship called Spirit of the Seas when it was new in 2001. Probably one of the most expensive cruises we've ever been on....but worth every penny. We haven't been on a Carnival cruise again for fear of never being able to top that amazing cruise--ha!

What type of differences do you imagine that throw you a bit? Maybe if you work through them you'll see that you can probably learn nearly as much as you know about RCI on these message boards. Probably more.

You may even like another cruise line better, but you may not know it if you don't try them. You may end up liking RCI the best, but at least you will have a genuine experience(s) to compare.

:-)

Thanks for letting me know you survived trying something else. I just worry I won't be able to learn everything in time to make it the best experience.

No problem. The reality is, all the major cruise lines are pretty much the same wrt structure. Even NCLs Freestyle isn't really that different. The big difference comes in ship design, passenger flow, and entertainment.

I'm considering Alaska next year also. Celebrity Millenium is at the top of my list right now, but I'll be checking Princess's itineraries also during the next few days. As long as their itineraries aren't round trip, but are rather one way up or down, they will be in the running for me.

Think of it as staying at a Hyatt instead of a Westin. The lines are more similar than different, and you will find that the differences are largely inconsequential.

And you don't need to know everything before you go. I find that a large part of the fun is discovering things as I go along.:)

I agree :D

Interesting phrasing.

I almost DIDN'T survive my one Princess cruise. :D

1. http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=378464

2. http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=380212

3. http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=381758

I'm not loyal to Royal but to date have yet to find another cruise line that can match them when it comes to the ships themselves, on board service and entertainment. Maybe Celebrity will be that cruise line with entertainment being an exception here. There are some things that RCI has done within the last few years that I have not cared for so we are now going to give Celebrity a try. I suggest branching out and trying other lines. It may give you another choice of lines to choose from or it may make you appreciate RCI even more.:)

I try really hard to make a vacation out of the itineraries that Royal offers, but I really want to try some other ones, like Alaska that are different with Princess.

I'm loyal to Royal though, because I know what to expect and am comfortable with handling the booking. I know nothing much about the other lines and it seems daunting to learn everything in time to book and get a preferred room.

Anyone else loyal to Royal for that reason? :confused:

I'm loyal to ... cruising.

When you booked your very first cruise you didn't know everything. Did you?

Apparently things worked out fine as you've done a few since. Live a little 'dangerously'. Go for it.

It'll be fine. ;)

I am not quite sure why you feel you have to "learn everything" before you book a cruise whether it is a cruise on a RCCL ship or on another line. My first few cruises were taken years and years ago before there were sites like "cruise critic". I booked using a T/A which is what you did back then. She gave me some asssitance and I talked with friends who had done a few cruises. I didn't know (nor could I know) everything single little nuance about the ships I selected. I went and I had a great time. Sometimes too much information is a dangerous thing as it allows us to wallow in indecision. It's a cruise for heaven's sake. It last 7 days in most cases. You're not making a move to a foreign country. Some things may be great. Other things may be not so great or even bad. I suggest you move out of your comfort zone and try something new. I never pick a cruise based on the cruise line. I select cruises based on itinerary, sailing dates and pricing. Never on what lines I have status on or have sailed before. If you limit your choice to one line you are missing out on a whole world of enjoyment.

I'm looking at doing another Med cruise next July and am thinking of MSC. They do a different itinery and are slightly cheaper. I want to stay with RCI for the same reason as you. You're comfortable with everything, but if it saves me money, I may go elsewhere.

I many times have preferred the itinerary on Princess over Royal Carib but last Oct and our TA, we got a balcony cabin on LOS for $900pp for Oct. It soon jumped to $1200 + pp while Princess was considerably more. As a result of this tremendous price, we ended up with a roll call of #500. We haven't been able to cruise but once every 2-3 years so are very selective on where we go. Bring in So Calif we have lost opportunities to cruise without involving flying to FL etc so it is not feasible to book a 7 day cruise and we prefer the longer cruises.

And the PRICE!! We travel alot and resisted cruising for years because we're so indepentent, we were afraid we wouldn't like it and be stuck. So, several years ago we tried a 'short' (think it was like 4 nights) cruise on Carnival Imagination. Surprise, surprise, we liked it ... but thought we'd try another line. Booked Adventure of the Seas out of Puerto Rico for the Southern Caribbean route .... probably still my favorite cruise! Port every day, only one sea day ... we loved everything about it. The sale was for a JR Suite at a great rate and of course we've been spoiled ever since with the JR Suite ... like the extra room. After that we pretty much sailed Royal ... we're Diamond now and our last cruise on the Oasis in May we used the Diamond lounge for the first time which my DH loved! Again, we only ended up booking the Oasis on a last minute and 'gty' Suite deal for the great rate. Ended up getting a great location, on the hump midship. Loved it. But, previous to that cruise, last year ... again last minute we got a deal on Holland America ... the Eurodam. Love, love, loved it! Great line and wonderful trip! I agree it's fun to try other lines and things for the first time ... but I also will admit we were worried .... smaller ship, all new, etc. Actually it was the first time we did a 'gty' suite and ended up with a lovely location and were very happy. So, our usual plans for our annual anniversary trip to Hawaii got messed up, came upon a 'good deal' for a 6 night cruise that coincided with the dates we had for an Interval Exchange with Marriott Vacation Club in FL for a week .... so we booked it ... with Carnival!! Have a nice location and a suite and it's on the Freedom. Been on cc gathering all the info I can, but still feel the 'wonder what it will be like' thing!! LOL!! It's comforting to 'go with what you know' but also good to try other things. So .... anyone been on the Carnival Freedom that usually sails Royal?? We're going anyway, with an open mind and know we'll have a wonderful trip ... but any info would be great! Thanx!:)

I many times have preferred the itinerary on Princess over Royal Carib but last Oct and our TA, we got a balcony cabin on LOS for $900pp for Oct. It soon jumped to $1200 + pp while Princess was considerably more. As a result of this tremendous price, we ended up with a roll call of #500. We haven't been able to cruise but once every 2-3 years so are very selective on where we go. Bring in So Calif we have lost opportunities to cruise without involving flying to FL etc so it is not feasible to book a 7 day cruise and we prefer the longer cruises.

Sure it is. We do it regularly. I'd rather not have to deal with the flights and time changes, but with DH employed full time, it's how we maximize our vacations.:)

I agree! My extended family is doing a cruise in December with Carnival. Beautiful itinerary, beautiful time, and an even more beautiful price!!!!!!! I would consider going if I wasn't so loyal. I see it as a wasted cruise because it's not accumulating me any more points with Royal and because it's "not in my comfort zone" or an RC ship. I have issues I think......:/

I am pretty loyal to RCCL........like the ship,service,perks,you name it........I get excited when I get to cruise on one of their ships.......

However,when I went on Celebrity,it was a brand new experience for me and that made it that much more exciting......all the newness and discovering things.....It's fun to try something new..

Archived