tell me about Princendam

crazy4cruisn

We are wanting to go on a Black Sea cruise in 2013. I notice Princendam is the only HAL ship that goes there. We have been on most of the HAL ships and have enjoyed them as we are almost 4 star mariners. I have heard lately that the Princendam is really getting older, that the menu is not as varied, and the staterooms have strange configurations.

Your comments please.

We are wanting to go on a Black Sea cruise in 2013. I notice Princendam is the only HAL ship that goes there. We have been on most of the HAL ships and have enjoyed them as we are almost 4 star mariners. I have heard lately that the Princendam is really getting older, that the menu is not as varied, and the staterooms have strange configurations.

Your comments please.

You'll find similar complaints about most smaller ships . Yes the Prinsedam does have some cabins where only twins can be set up .

We have never cruised on the Prinsendam before either - but, one of the reason we are booked on it (besides the itinerary) is to experience the Elegant Explorer and everything she has to offer. I am sure there will be more posts from those who have experienced a cruise on her already - I am so looking forward to May 2013!

We were onboard Prinsendam for a British Isles cruise in 2009 and are booked again for a Baltic cruise for next summer. We've also been onboard Ryndam, Maasdam, and Westerdam, and I have toured Amsterdam.

Although she was not built by HAL, she still has many of the same amenities -- an Explorer's Lounge, for instance. Her small size enables her to visit parts of the world that most cruise ships cannot. That includes the Kiel Canal, which was the impetus for our 2013 booking.

We found our accommodations most comfortable. We are a family of three who had originally booked a standard oceanview cabin. A couple of weeks before sailing, we were offered (and took) an upsell to a standard balcony cabin. On debarkation day, I looked at our original cabin, and it looked just as comfortable, with plenty of floor space and a walk-in closet. For our upcoming cruise, we booked the next-to-lowest oceanview cabin category.

Do pay close attention to the symbols next to each cabin on the deck plans on HAL's Web site. Unlike more recent ships, there are several configurations, even within a single category.

I'm happy to answer any questions. I did do a review at the time, and I keep a journal on every cruise, so I'm happy to share what I know.

Your comments please.

We sailed Prisendam in November 2011

To be honest we were really disappointed

We have sailed the Statendam Zaandam and Rotterdam twice.

We thought the food wasnt as varied as we had in the past and the ship was pretty worn.

Maybe we exxpected too much as it was toted as a grand voyage ship.

For the price I would like of something else.

Of the current HAL fleet, I have sailed 13 ships---many several times. The Prinsendam is one of the ships that I have sailed more than once, and I would happily sail her again.

Service on this ship is what HAL used to be like on every ship, every time. The stewards know your name, and drink preference by the end of the first day. After that, just walk in and give one of them a "the usual" glance, and your will shall be done.

Breakfast in the Lido is cooked to order.

I thought the meals in the dining room to be fine. This ship is the one that served Yorkshire Pudding with the prime rib. They know how to present food as well as prepare it.

The ship itself is beautiful, and well-maintained. Yes, it's older. So am I. ;)

If this is a cruise you want to take, go, and have a good time.

Yes, one of the joys of the Prinsendam is that all of her cabins are not the same. This is not a cookie cutter stateroom ship:) Many cabins have walk in closets:D Just check your deck plan carefully as noted before you select.

I sailed on her for the first time in November. Yes, she's old - but not worn. Well taken care of - I have never seen so many officers inspecting (including the captain). She is a ship - and an elegant one. My DH was enchanted in 20 minutes. Normally he doesn't care which ship he is on - he loved this one.

The ship is elegant, graceful. The staff are incredible. It really reminded me of the old days of cruising. The ship does everything a step up.

Food is subjective - but we were happy and very impressed with room service. The Pinnacle Grill is the best I have ever seen.

I posted a review on cc on the ship as well as a live from thread as well as review here if you want to take a look.

We booked last cruise with great trepidation - so many mixed reviews. It was absolutely the best ship we have been on including all of the various ships (not just HAL).

If you want to be on a floating hotel, this ship is not the right one. If you want to be on a ship with good service and most amenities (but it's a smaller ship) then this is the ship to sail on.

We enjoyed the intimacy, the crew so much that if you take a look at my signature you will see that we are going on her again:D

She has the highest repeat passenger ratio in the fleet - and I suspect for good reason:D Not everyone loves her but those that do love her a lot:D

W've sailed on most of HAL's ships (and some that are no longer HAL ships) and the Prinsendam is bt far the best. Great deck layout, the best crew in the fleet, real ship cabins (look at them closey then pick the one that best serves you).

As to the food - the menu's are the same as the rest of the ships, but we did find the quality of preperation to be better.

I'd pick her over any of the other HAL ships as well as those from Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian and Carnival that we've sailed on.

We would agree the Prinsendam's "Elegant Explorer" monicker is well deserved. I cannot recall any ship that is not "getting older". This particular ship is very well maintained and the only design aspect I found somewhat lacking was the layout of the Lido (hard pressed to say how it could be improved without major reconstruction costs -- doubt that will happen).

Having said that, as previously has been stated, breakfast foods are prepared to order, there is even an Eggs Benedict station. Food in the MDR was perfectly acceptable to us -- granted food acceptability is highly subjective. Service throughout the ship was outstanding.

We would not hestitate to cruise on this lovely ship again -- she does have some exciting/unique itineraries.

Ray in NH

We would agree the Prinsendam's "Elegant Explorer" monicker is well deserved. I cannot recall any ship that is not "getting older". This particular ship is very well maintained and the only design aspect I found somewhat lacking was the layout of the Lido (hard pressed to say how it could be improved without major reconstruction costs -- doubt that will happen).

Reports are that the Lido will undergo an "expansion" during next dry dock in November and that the aft part of the Lido will be enclosed. It's been discussed on a couple of threads fairly recently. Don't know if any of the reports are "from the horse's mouth", but that is the report!

Reports are that the Lido will undergo an "expansion" during next dry dock in November and that the aft part of the Lido will be enclosed. It's been discussed on a couple of threads fairly recently. Don't know if any of the reports are "from the horse's mouth", but that is the report!

One of our roll call members who was just on her reported that the aft Lido would be closed in - they got that from the Hotel Manager. they weren't told of any other changes being made to the Lido - but who knows??

When we were on in November - I was told they were hopeful to get a Canaletto by the chief beverage manager.

Overall, I hope they leave the bulk of the ship alone and just freshen things up - oh, and they are getting new lifeboats too.

I guess we'll all find out in November;)

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions. We just found a Transatlantic on the Princendam on sale, so may try it out before our Black Sea cruise. I appreciate all the comments.

Jacqui, How was the weather on the Transatlantic crossing? Is Nov too late for sites in the Med?

Thanks,

Nan

We spent 3 weeks last June on the Princendam on the North Cape cruise. We had a balcony room with a walk in closet. The room and fixtures did show that it had age. It was well maintained but not new. The food was very good and I think the selections were adequate. The smaller size might not be for everyone but we enjoyed it quite a bit. It is still very sea worthy and the crew show loving devotion to the,"Old Girl". The captain is the original captain of the ship when it was built for the Royal Viking line. He had some great stories about the ship.

Those folks who don't do their research and expect a spanking brand new vessel might be disappointed. But if they realize that sailing ships like people can grow old gracefully, I think they will be well rewarded for their selection of the Princendam.

Thanks to everyone for answering my questions. We just found a Transatlantic on the Princendam on sale, so may try it out before our Black Sea cruise. I appreciate all the comments.

Jacqui, How was the weather on the Transatlantic crossing? Is Nov too late for sites in the Med?

Thanks,

Nan

We are sailing on the fall TA due to the great prices. HAL also found us a great air fare. We usually do air on our own but theirs was much better.

We have done seven trans atlantic sailings. This will be amongst the earliest we have sailed. Three years ago we sailed across on the 1st of Dec. from Rome. The weather was nice in Rome, typical fall in the low 60's. There was a storm the 1st night but nothing bad except the port we were going to was full since some ships stayed so we had to go to a different port. Every where we went a light jacket was all that was needed in the early morning and by midday in the sun shortsleeves were fine. I would imagine we should be in for that kind of weather or even a bit warmer. The only rough water we have ever really seen on a TA was just as we left the Mediteranean and that was only for half a day at most. The crossing has always been smooth and comfortable even in mid Dec. By the second day at sea we were able to have our balcony door open at night for fresh sea air, nothing better!

This will be our first time on the Prinsendam and we are looking forward to the small intimate size. We love the days at sea and can not wait! Hope you will join us!

Thanks,

Nan

Nan - the weather on the Transatlantic was absolutely incredible - there was an awful storm and I know those that were on other ships had a rough time. Our captain sailed 200 miles out of the way and we had no problems. Couldn't believe how warm it was. Didn't bother packing a bathing suit and I sure wish I had brought one:) Prinsendam rides the seas very well - she literally cuts through the waves:)

November is an ideal time to do the Med - not too hot and not as many tourists. Can be a chance of a smidge more rain in a couple of ports but actually we lucked out quite well. Book it and join your roll call - bet some are planning private tours:) The best way to do the Med for us when possible (unless we can diy).

Archived