Cabin Storage

Annalise

DH & I are going on our first Princess cruise to Eastern Med. in Sept. I was looking at cabin floorplans and it doesn't look like they provided many drawers or even a dresser to store clothing. Where does one put non-hangables like swimsuits, tees, pants/shorts, socks, etc.? In that one large closet??? Doesn't seem practical. Can any of you who have already sailed on the Ruby provide an answer? Thanks alot.

The closet area has a shelf unit, and there are drawers in the night stands. Plus the closet itself it quite long, and there is a shelf on top of the racks. We find the storage to be adequate and much more convenient than the overhead bins on Celebrity.

There is a shelf over the clothes hanging area in the closet that runs the full width of the closet. There is also a cabinet with shelves that contains your safe and has plenty of room for your non-hangables.

We find the regular cabins offer plenty of storage space for two people.

Lew

If you prefer a little extra organization, get some packing cubes like I linked below (there are hundreds of colors and sizes.

We pack all of our items in those to make it easier to load (and if a TSA inspection is needed) and then just take the cubes out and pop them in shelves, drawers, wherever. As they empty, just fold them up.

http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=visualbasicres02&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B002YIRAJU

I agree that there is a good amount of storage area. But if you think that you might need more, take along one of these. Folds up flat and takes up little space in the suitcase. We bring them on every cruise, as they offer convenient storage for non-hangables, and also provide convenient space for toiletries, since the closet is right next to the bathroom. (Not endorsing this particular model or brand. Only shown as an example).

http://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-6351-1234-JAVA-Organizer-Collection-Accessory/dp/B001KMRZ0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343142888&sr=8-1&keywords=hanging+closet+shelves

I'll add to JimmyVWine's suggestion...

We bring an over-the-door clear plastic shoe organizer to hang inside the bathroom door for storing any and everything we need while using the bathroom. With limited shelf and counter space in the bathroom, it gives everything a home within arm's reach.

Lew

418MCNpFb%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Remember, you don't need to pack as much as you think you will need. Once talked to a new cruiser who was packing 3 suitcases for a 1 week cruise. We pack 1 each for a 15 day cruise and still have room. Re-think what you need. :)

In addition to the open closet and floor-to-ceiling wardrobe with shelves, there are two nightstands, each with three drawers plus a desk with three drawers. Plus a shelf that goes the length of the closet. The bathroom has a shelf under the vanity that goes the length of the bathroom. Tons of storage space, even for a month-long cruise. If you need more hangers, just ask.

Like Loonbeam, I use very lightweight packing cubes and when I unpack, I just take them out and put them on a shelf or in a drawer. Unpacking takes just minutes. At the end of the cruise, I start packing the cubes early in the day. Most are already mostly packed because I use them on the shelves. Later in the day, I just put the cubes in my suitcase and add the stuff that doesn't go in a cube. Cubes are also great for compressing jackets or clothing you put in your carry-on either traveling to or from the cruise. .

In addition to the shelving area (with a door that closes) and the closet shown below, there are drawers in the night stands and in the desk.

At the end of the day, (or, to be more precise, the end of the cruise), there is lots of space. So much so that at the end of the cruise, we spend more time than we thought possible searching every nook, cranny and storage area for personal items so that we don't leave anything behind. There really are lots and lots of places to store, cram and later forget, your things.

All I can say, there are two of us, and we should NOT, but do bring almost our house with us, and still find plenty of room to put our clothes away.

At first I thought I would have to leave some of my clothes (folded) in the luggage, but found that shoes too would go into the drawers. I found plenty of hangers too. Of course when bringing dresses I have them on hangers, so I don't need additional, but they are always there. If you need more, you can ask for them.

Where the vault is, there are shelves under it also.

In addition to the open closet and floor-to-ceiling wardrobe with shelves, there are two nightstands, each with three drawers plus a desk with three drawers.
Here's a photo of the desk and one of the nightstands. Opps... I was wrong about the nightstand having three drawers. It has two drawers and a shelf:

P3190513.JPG

There are directories and stuff in the desk which Princess thinks you need and maybe you do. I would suggest rarely. Put it in all in the shallowest drawer or the very bottom shelf of the closet shelf unit. On the shelf, it makes that shelf half as deep, but still good for a pair or shoes or such. Frees up the desk for YOUR stuff.

At the end of the day, (or, to be more precise, the end of the cruise), there is lots of space. So much so that at the end of the cruise, we spend more time than we thought possible searching every nook, cranny and storage area for personal items so that we don't leave anything behind. There really are lots and lots of places to store, cram and later forget, your things.

I'll repeat a (helpful, at least in my case) warning I got a while back from a poster on CC: Always remember to check under the safe's mat and the door lip before you check out.

We've always had plenty of room to store toiletries & anything else we may need in the bathroom on Celebrity ships & on the one NCL ship I've been on. Do Princess ships not have as much storage in the bathroom as other lines? The over-the-door hanger made me wonder, if there would be plenty of storage in there.

I'm considering trying the packing cubes I keep seeing mentioned here. We may give them a try, when I figure out what sizes we need.

Remember, you don't need to pack as much as you think you will need. Once talked to a new cruiser who was packing 3 suitcases for a 1 week cruise. We pack 1 each for a 15 day cruise and still have room. Re-think what you need. :)

This obviously depends on the individual. We're not new cruisers & we pack as much as we ever did. We don't wear anything twice & I don't want to do laundry on vacation. For people who don't mind doing either of those, there's no need to pack a lot. For us, we'll probably have at least 3 suitcases each on our 10 day cruise in Oct. Many people say to get out everything you think you need, then remove 1/2 of it. That would mean we'd spend a fortune on the ship's laundry or go naked for 1/2 the cruise. :p I don't think anybody wants that. :eek:

We've always had plenty of room to store toiletries & anything else we may need in the bathroom on Celebrity ships & on the one NCL ship I've been on. Do Princess ships not have as much storage in the bathroom as other lines?

Below is a picture of the standard Princess bathroom (not mini-suite or full suite).

Storage:

The three shelves

Both sides of the sink

Most of the shelf under the sink

2166505120016033894S600x600Q85.jpg

Below is a picture of the standard Princess bathroom (not mini-suite or full suite).

Storage:

The three shelves

Both sides of the sink

Most of the shelf under the sink

Thanks. That looks pretty typical, except it seems like Celebrity has shelves under the sink inside a door. Either way, that looks like plenty of storage for us. I dry & style my hair & put on my makeup at the desk, so I don't need room for those products in the bathroom.

There is a shelf over the clothes hanging area in the closet that runs the full width of the closet. There is also a cabinet with shelves that contains your safe and has plenty of room for your non-hangables.

We find the regular cabins offer plenty of storage space for two people.

Lew

Plus, not having doors on that closet makes access MUCH EASIER.

I'll repeat a (helpful, at least in my case) warning I got a while back from a poster on CC: Always remember to check under the safe's mat and the door lip before you check out.
I bring Ziplock bags and put jewelry in one, money/passport in another, etc. When I want something, I just pull out the bag, get what I want and put it back. That way, I'm far less likely to lose or forget something in the safe.

We also use the over the door plastic shoe racks. We have one that has pockets with a variety of sizes. We stay very organized. The cabins are way too small to get disorganized.

(also, we have found that if we can keep the cabin somewhat tidy, our room steward is able to do a better job keeping the cabin really clean!).

I bring Ziplock bags and put jewelry in one, money/passport in another, etc. When I want something, I just pull out the bag, get what I want and put it back. That way, I'm far less likely to lose or forget something in the safe.

Great idea, Pam:)

We always take an over the door shoe hanger. We put all of the little incidentals that tend to mess up the cabin, plus many things that we use in the shower. I put smaller items in a baggie in the pouch too. As the previous poster noted, it keeps the clutter to a minimum and makes it easier for the steward to keep the cabin clean. We usually get a cheap one and leave it behind if we need luggage space.

Archived