No Comfort Food on RCCL's New Menu

skiman1

Thought I would post this on the Carnival page.

At least (if true) RCCL is listening to their passengers and not cutting back and giving us meatloaf, mac & cheese and other boring food. RCCL normally costs more, but you pay for what you get!:

Loyal2RCCL

Cool Cruiser

Coming Soon..NEW MDR MENUS AND ENHANCED DINING

Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you my source is directly involved in this project and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks.

I don't know if anyone remembers getting a survey a while back asking about the onboard dining experience, but it seems RCCL is listening to that feedback along with the regular weekly comment cards.

With that said, there will not only be NEW menus in the MDR on all ships, but RCCL is improving the overall quality of the items it serves. They have decided to increase their food budget to offer a better dining experience.

Highlights:

The Top Sirloin on the "Always Available" Menu will be upgraded to filet mignon. Also on the "Always Available" Menu will be shrimp cocktail, escargot (provided they can be sourced due to the shortage), herb crusted cod, salmon, a bowl of mixed berries, and Key Lime Pie. Other items were mentioned, but I don't remember what they were.

New entrees will include:

- Rack of Lamb

- Veal Chops

- Veal Scalloppini Oscar

- Crab Legs

- Baked Lasagna (baked in it's own individual dish)

- Beef Sliders

- Each night there will be an entree salad with a featured protien

- Surf and Turf featuring a 6oz filet mignon and a 6 oz lobster tail (larger tail than the 4oz one that's currently being served)

- Sea Bass

- Baked/Stuffed Shrimp

The $14.95 Chops Steak will be removed since you will be able to get a filet mignon every night from the always available menu. In it's place will be the option to purchase a 1 1/4 lb steamed, Maine Lobster for $24.99

New Desserts will include:

- Mile High Lemon Merengue Pie

- REAL NY style cheesecake

- Baked Alaska is making a return.. and will be served in individual portions--

- Warm fruit pies and cobblers served in individual dishes. Straight from the oven to your table.

- Some chocolate, kahlua pie?

To enhance the new menu, all the tablewear and dishes will also be redesigned.

I wasn't able to get the full roll out schedule but here's what I do know... the new menus will be available on the following ships/dates:

Freedom- 7/29/2012

Oasis- 8/25/2012

Allure- 9/9/2012

Jewel- 9/23/2012

Rhapsody- 5/24/2013

RCCL is also partnering with Food and Wine Magazine and will be showing short culinary "snippets" on the Poolside TV Screens... one of the things they will show is the featured items for each nights dinner. Other culinary programs are in the works, but nothing finalized yet.

RCCL has used feedback from the guest comment cards, surveys and information received from the MDR staff to add items that were most rquested by guests. Additionally, they looked at the quality and menu offerings from the competition and decided it was time for them to up their game.

I for one, can't thank them enough..and I look forward to trying out the new offerings on my Oasis cruise in Oct.

Sounds fabulous! But I truly don't mind the Carnival menus either ... that said, in 2013, I plan on cruising NCL, RCCL, and CCL at least once each just for comparison's sake - been on CCL alone for the past few years and it's time to try the others out again - loved the others before and I'm sure we'll love them again ... usually just choose Carnival due to 2 factors - 1. price for dates/itinerary and 2. comfort factor (been there, done that, know the ropes), but excited to try out the ships on the other lines - would love to do Pearl (Epic would be awesome, but it's so ugly, I just can't bring myself to do it) and Allure ... glad to know the food situation on Royal will be this good. I'll wait till I see the official announcement, but hoping this is correct info. :)

At least (if true) RCCL is listening to their passengers and not cutting back and giving us meatloaf, mac & cheese and other boring food.

The bacon mac & cheese with chicken breast is one of the best dishes Carnival serves. Have you tried it?

The bacon mac & cheese with chicken breast is one of the best dishes Carnival serves. Have you tried it?

No, I haven't tried it! I go on a cruise to try new and exciting foods, I don't go on a cruise to eat comfort food. Sorry, but if I want comfort food I'll head to Denny's or similar, however, I haven't eaten at Dennys in years.

I just find it funny that so many say all the cruise lines are cutting back on food and quality. Guess RCCL has a different plan and better in my book. I just did the Dream last month and found the food the worst on the high seas, however, I do try to eat somewhat healthy and Carnival doesn't do well with that.

No, I haven't tried it! I go on a cruise to try new and exciting foods, I don't go on a cruise to eat comfort food. Sorry, but if I want comfort food I'll head to Denny's or similar, however, I haven't eaten at Dennys in years.

I just find it funny that so many say all the cruise lines are cutting back on food and quality. Guess RCCL has a different plan and better in my book. I just did the Dream last month and found the food the worst on the high seas, however, I do try to eat somewhat healthy and Carnival doesn't do well with that.

lol. Don't knock it until you try it. Nothing like it at Denny's. The barbecue ribs served on formal night are excellent as well. With the comfort foods, Carnival is catering to it's target audience. I think they do an amazing job with a food budget of $13.50 per day, per passenger.

Sounds like you'll be much happier cruising on Royal in the future...

lol. Don't knock it until you try it. Nothing like it at Denny's. The barbecue ribs served on formal night are excellent as well. With the comfort foods, Carnival is catering to it's target audience. I think they do an amazing job with a food budget of $13.50 per day, per passenger.

Sounds like you'll be much happier cruising on Royal in the future...

I agree- don't knock it til you try it :) It's really REALLY good. And it's not like the "Comfort Food" is the entire menu. It's ONE option each night. I enjoy having a Comfort selection in addition to something new. Worst case if I don't like the new thing I have something yummy to fall back on.

Okay people this is just sad. I am a big Carnival supporter and have always cruised with Carnival but it is not helping the case to plead that the "Mac and Cheese" is good. Now come on. On our first cruise with Carnival I had Shrimp Cocktail every night, A wonderful steak not that piece of flat tire that they serve now, also had Duck Alagone. Among many other great items. All of which are no longer on the menu. I have seen the menu go way down hill.

I sure wish they would redo their menu like the one on RCCL

The comfort food selections sure made traveling with the teenagers more enjoyable.

If the RCCL menu is a hit, hopefully it will steer the industry in that direction. That said, RCCL is always considerably higher for the dates I have compared, and I would expect more in return.

The right thing to do while the competition is downgrading t heir act is to step up yours and take full advantage of it.

Perhaps Carnival states they no longer read Cruise Critic, but possibly RCCL does, especially on the Carnival boards.

Glad to hear that -----I dont eat too much comfort food either -- too high in calories.

Sounds fabulous! But I truly don't mind the Carnival menus either ... that said, in 2013, I plan on cruising NCL, RCCL, and CCL at least once each just for comparison's sake - been on CCL alone for the past few years and it's time to try the others out again - loved the others before and I'm sure we'll love them again ... usually just choose Carnival due to 2 factors - 1. price for dates/itinerary and 2. comfort factor (been there, done that, know the ropes), but excited to try out the ships on the other lines - would love to do Pearl (Epic would be awesome, but it's so ugly, I just can't bring myself to do it) and Allure ... glad to know the food situation on Royal will be this good. I'll wait till I see the official announcement, but hoping this is correct info. :)

The EPIC is beautifull on the inside ! Did a b2b and still hadnt "done" everything AND awesome food/

There is plenty on the new Carnival regular menu to choose from. See no point in ordering comfort food for dinner and honestly do not care that they office it as long as I canget stuff of interest.

Having said that have been wanting to give RCCL another try and this might well induce us if price is ok.

How can you say that RCCL doesn't have comfort food? I don't know if people missed it but they have "beef sliders" - i.e. mini hamburgers, not exactly gourmet. And entree salad with a featured protien? Salad with chicken or salad with beef?

RCCL has upgraded many of their dishes, yes. But don't kid yourself that they have a few plainer items to appeal to people who look at lamb and say, "baaahhh".

Land based restaurants along with cruise ship eatery are constantly looking to drive more profit thru selling / serving cheaper foods stuffs. * I. E. *comfort foods

Just read an article in the post about a restaurant in NYC serving 3 roasted carrots *for 18 bucks

While I do hope this info is correct as it should put some pressure on carnival to upgrade. I am suspect*

What some see as cutbacks, I see as additional options. If you don't want meatloaf, order something else, but don't knock it as others may like that option. And while RCCL doesn't have meatloaf in their "cutbacks", would someone care to explain to me their sliders? Do I want Krystals/White Castles in the MDR?

Just sayin...your opinion may vary.

Thought I would post this on the Carnival page.

At least (if true) RCCL is listening to their passengers and not cutting back and giving us meatloaf, mac & cheese and other boring food. RCCL normally costs more, but you pay for what you get!:

Loyal2RCCL

Cool Cruiser

Coming Soon..NEW MDR MENUS AND ENHANCED DINING

Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you my source is directly involved in this project and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks.

I don't know if anyone remembers getting a survey a while back asking about the onboard dining experience, but it seems RCCL is listening to that feedback along with the regular weekly comment cards.

With that said, there will not only be NEW menus in the MDR on all ships, but RCCL is improving the overall quality of the items it serves. They have decided to increase their food budget to offer a better dining experience.

Highlights:

The Top Sirloin on the "Always Available" Menu will be upgraded to filet mignon. Also on the "Always Available" Menu will be shrimp cocktail, escargot (provided they can be sourced due to the shortage), herb crusted cod, salmon, a bowl of mixed berries, and Key Lime Pie. Other items were mentioned, but I don't remember what they were.

New entrees will include:

- Rack of Lamb

- Veal Chops

- Veal Scalloppini Oscar

- Crab Legs

- Baked Lasagna (baked in it's own individual dish)

- Beef Sliders

- Each night there will be an entree salad with a featured protien

- Surf and Turf featuring a 6oz filet mignon and a 6 oz lobster tail (larger tail than the 4oz one that's currently being served)

- Sea Bass

- Baked/Stuffed Shrimp

The $14.95 Chops Steak will be removed since you will be able to get a filet mignon every night from the always available menu. In it's place will be the option to purchase a 1 1/4 lb steamed, Maine Lobster for $24.99

New Desserts will include:

- Mile High Lemon Merengue Pie

- REAL NY style cheesecake

- Baked Alaska is making a return.. and will be served in individual portions--

- Warm fruit pies and cobblers served in individual dishes. Straight from the oven to your table.

- Some chocolate, kahlua pie?

To enhance the new menu, all the tablewear and dishes will also be redesigned.

I wasn't able to get the full roll out schedule but here's what I do know... the new menus will be available on the following ships/dates:

Freedom- 7/29/2012

Oasis- 8/25/2012

Allure- 9/9/2012

Jewel- 9/23/2012

Rhapsody- 5/24/2013

RCCL is also partnering with Food and Wine Magazine and will be showing short culinary "snippets" on the Poolside TV Screens... one of the things they will show is the featured items for each nights dinner. Other culinary programs are in the works, but nothing finalized yet.

RCCL has used feedback from the guest comment cards, surveys and information received from the MDR staff to add items that were most rquested by guests. Additionally, they looked at the quality and menu offerings from the competition and decided it was time for them to up their game.

I for one, can't thank them enough..and I look forward to trying out the new offerings on my Oasis cruise in Oct.

Two Bit...

Four Bits...

Six bits...

A dollar...

All for RCCI...

Stand up and hollar!!!

Ahhhhh... the well known Carnival hater is still trolling! Troll on sir...troll on!!!

This is a good thing. We're sailing on FOS next May, so we'll get to try their new menus. This was long overdue. We were burned out on the RC menus. We've always enjoyed the food on Carnival, too. I don't see the addition of comfort food as a bad thing. There's still plenty available on the menu for everyone's tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't thrilled with the "comfort food" offerings on Carnival's menu on our latest cruise, but you know what? I just didn't order them. I make a great meatloaf and mac & cheese and can have those at home anytime. I ordered other things from the menu, including baked stuffed mushrooms, broiled lobster and shrimp, creme brulet, chocolate melting cake, lamb, several chilled soups, smoked duck, seafood Newberg style, tiramisu, delice of the ocean, chateaubriand with bearnaise sauce, amaretto chocolate cake, frog legs, grilled portobello mushrooms, mahi mahi, international cheese plate, etc.

We have sailed on Royal before and enjoyed those cruises, but when Carnival is less expensive we'll probably continue to choose them over Royal.

I wasn't thrilled with the "comfort food" offerings on Carnival's menu on our latest cruise, but you know what? I just didn't order them. I make a great meatloaf and mac & cheese and can have those at home anytime. I ordered other things from the menu, including baked stuffed mushrooms, broiled lobster and shrimp, creme brulet, chocolate melting cake, lamb, several chilled soups, smoked duck, seafood Newberg style, tiramisu, delice of the ocean, chateaubriand with bearnaise sauce, amaretto chocolate cake, frog legs, grilled portobello mushrooms, mahi mahi, international cheese plate, etc.

We have sailed on Royal before and enjoyed those cruises, but when Carnival is less expensive we'll probably continue to choose them over Royal.

I totally agree with you except for one thing...I do like a few of the comfort foods. Sure, I can make them better at home but I can make some of the other things better too...that doesn't stop me from ordering them though.

RCI has not redone their menus in a long time, so maybe this is just that, not listening to complaints. As far the everyday options (comfort foods) DW ordered the salmon each night on our latest cruise, as she loves salmon. Only night she didn't get salmon, she got the spare ribs on cruise elegant night, as she says they are as good as any she has ever had.

BTW, we have never gone hungry on CCL or RCI.

Given that I'm an extremely picky eater with major (life threatening) food allergies, I'm quite happy with 'comfort food' at times. Seems to me there is a little bit of everything to suit everyone on the Carnival MDR menus.

Archived