No Comfort Food on RCCL's New Menu

skiman1

How does the CCL ice show compare to the RCL one? Oh, they don't have one!

How does the CCL diving show compare to the RCL diving show? Oh that's right, they don't have one either!

RCL has 90 minute broadway shows, how are the broadway shows on CCL? They don't have them!

Fact is that RCL has a lot more entertainment than CCL. A CCL cheerleader will brush that fact off by saying they didn't like them.

CCL does have garbage like the marriage game and hairy chest contest- wow!

One of the main reasons I haven't sailed RCL is that I can't justify paying more for an ice show or diving show. I wouldn't pay to see them at home either. I did price compare between RCL Oasis and NCL Epic after we had done 3 in a row on Carnival and wanted to try a newer ship on a different line for a change in experience. We compared these 2 mainly because of their production type shows. Epic had the type of shows that interested us more and was $1000 less for the 4 of us for the same itinerary, same week, and same type room. I just can't justify $1000 more when Epic offered more of what we were looking for. The same thing goes when I include Carnival in my choices. I can't justify paying more for RCL cruise when the extra they offer are not worth the extra cost to us.

Hello nchikk,

Was reading your signature, and it seems

you are developing a certain theme on your cruises.

KQZycL1

Was on the Navigator of the Seas

December 2011. Found RCCL's

food to be comparable to Carnival's..

You do pay a bit more for RCCL, and on that

particular cruise I had a great time, but

did not think the price difference was worth it.

What some see as cutbacks, I see as additional options. If you don't want meatloaf, order something else, but don't knock it as others may like that option. And while RCCL doesn't have meatloaf in their "cutbacks", would someone care to explain to me their sliders? Do I want Krystals/White Castles in the MDR?

Just sayin...your opinion may vary.

Cruising On RCI in February 2013 and from what I see of the Menus, it doesn't look as good as Carnival (just came back from a Carnival cruise). Just wanted to try RCI since it will be in New Orleans. Hope I didn't make a mistake booking it. :rolleyes:

Why do you have to drive? I have often found it cheaper to fly out to FL and cruise there than to drive to Long Beach and cruise. This was pretty easy to see when a cruise out of Miami was $500 and a cruise out of Long Beach (or San Pedro, whatever) was over $1000 for the same time ( like Xmas).

RCL didn't leave because they "didn't want your business", they left because the market for socal cruises died out. The Mexican Riviera has always been pretty sketchy and with all the violence in mexico, demand dried up. Rather than lose money, RCL and NCL moved their ships out. Even CCL downsized, they are moving the Splendour out and come next summer, you won't be able to do a 7 day cruise to MR on CCL either. Is this CCL "abandoning" the west? Not at all, even though they are the only 7 day ship in the summer there, the can't sell their cabins for the price they need to be profitable there.

A lot more people will fly east to cruise the carribean than will fly west to do the MR.

Soon, the only ship doing 7 day+ cruises based out west will be the Grand Princess- I suggest you give that a try, it will sail out of San Francisco.

First I don't really like to fly.

Second I like the MR very much.

Third I have cruised RCI a few times in the past and prefer Carnival. Things like rock climbing walls and ice shows are not what I am looking for on a cruise.

Princess as a rule is just too expensive.

By the way I already have the Miracle booked for April 2013 and when NCL returns to California in late 2013 I will look at them.

Third I have cruised RCI a few times in the past and prefer Carnival. Things like rock climbing walls and ice shows are not what I am looking for on a cruise.

You're looking at this the wrong way.

I don't do these things either on a cruise, but it draws those that do to those areas, thinning out the crowds, leaving you ample room for the things you like to do on board.

A win-win.

I do however thoroughly enjoy the ice show during a welcome afternoon during a cool down. I was blown away. And there were 4 of them to choose from.

Thought I would post this on the Carnival page.

At least (if true) RCCL is listening to their passengers and not cutting back and giving us meatloaf, mac & cheese and other boring food. RCCL normally costs more, but you pay for what you get!:

Loyal2RCCL

Cool Cruiser

Coming Soon..NEW MDR MENUS AND ENHANCED DINING

Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you my source is directly involved in this project and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks.

I don't know if anyone remembers getting a survey a while back asking about the onboard dining experience, but it seems RCCL is listening to that feedback along with the regular weekly comment cards.

With that said, there will not only be NEW menus in the MDR on all ships, but RCCL is improving the overall quality of the items it serves. They have decided to increase their food budget to offer a better dining experience.

Highlights:

The Top Sirloin on the "Always Available" Menu will be upgraded to filet mignon. Also on the "Always Available" Menu will be shrimp cocktail, escargot (provided they can be sourced due to the shortage), herb crusted cod, salmon, a bowl of mixed berries, and Key Lime Pie. Other items were mentioned, but I don't remember what they were.

New entrees will include:

- Rack of Lamb

- Veal Chops

- Veal Scalloppini Oscar

- Crab Legs

- Baked Lasagna (baked in it's own individual dish)

- Beef Sliders

- Each night there will be an entree salad with a featured protien

- Surf and Turf featuring a 6oz filet mignon and a 6 oz lobster tail (larger tail than the 4oz one that's currently being served)

- Sea Bass

- Baked/Stuffed Shrimp

The $14.95 Chops Steak will be removed since you will be able to get a filet mignon every night from the always available menu. In it's place will be the option to purchase a 1 1/4 lb steamed, Maine Lobster for $24.99

New Desserts will include:

- Mile High Lemon Merengue Pie

- REAL NY style cheesecake

- Baked Alaska is making a return.. and will be served in individual portions--

- Warm fruit pies and cobblers served in individual dishes. Straight from the oven to your table.

- Some chocolate, kahlua pie?

To enhance the new menu, all the tablewear and dishes will also be redesigned.

I wasn't able to get the full roll out schedule but here's what I do know... the new menus will be available on the following ships/dates:

Freedom- 7/29/2012

Oasis- 8/25/2012

Allure- 9/9/2012

Jewel- 9/23/2012

Rhapsody- 5/24/2013

RCCL is also partnering with Food and Wine Magazine and will be showing short culinary "snippets" on the Poolside TV Screens... one of the things they will show is the featured items for each nights dinner. Other culinary programs are in the works, but nothing finalized yet.

RCCL has used feedback from the guest comment cards, surveys and information received from the MDR staff to add items that were most rquested by guests. Additionally, they looked at the quality and menu offerings from the competition and decided it was time for them to up their game.

I for one, can't thank them enough..and I look forward to trying out the new offerings on my Oasis cruise in Oct.

Find it bit funny. You say the flat iron steak on CCL is a bad thing. You can get Maine Lobster for only $24.95. You seam to forget or more likly havn't been on CCL to know. But for $25 you can make a resv. at the on board steakhouse and get a five course meal. On our last cruise my Porterhouse was as good there as the one I had in NYC for $100.

RCCL has used feedback from the guest comment cards, surveys and information received from the MDR staff to add items that were most rquested by guests.

Wonder what would happen if the RCI folks requested Mac and Cheese or Fried Chicken.

Again for me it's about good food, fancy or comfort.

Overall the food on Carnival is pretty good.

And no one makes you eat Meat Loaf or Fried Chicken.:D

You're looking at this the wrong way.

I don't do these things either on a cruise, but it draws those that do to those areas, thinning out the crowds, leaving you ample room for the things you like to do on board.

A win-win.

I do however thoroughly enjoy the ice show during a welcome afternoon during a cool down. I was blown away. And there were 4 of them to choose from.

No, I'm looking to the west coast and don't see an RCI ship.

I have cruised with them a number of times in the past

I am one cruise from moving to the next level of the C & A.

Until RCI returns to California I will not cruise with them.

There are a number of very small things I like about Carnival.

Much to small for the CC folks but they mean a lot to me.

As I said they had a piano bar but the guy on the Monarch did not allow anyone to sing along with him (he actually told people that "the cruise line won't let me have passengers sing with me") He was actually just egotistical and was afraid other singers might sing better than he (wouldn't have been very hard! :rolleyes:)

I apologize for a minor thread hijack, but I wanted to address this....

As a piano bar entertainer myself, letting others come up and sing on the mic can be a complete train wreck.... It has nothing to do with being worried that the people in the crowd are better then the performer. 9 times out of 10, the person out of the crowd will not be good (there are times when someone is outstanding!). The only people who want that audience member to sing are themselves and members of their own own group. Jumping on stage with the piano player is unrehearsed. Most of the time, the person has no idea what key they sing in, lyrics, etc.. It also takes time away from the show to set up. Uninterested guests will leave if this is a regular thing. Piano bar is for everyone to sing along, not one patron in the spotlight. There is a venue for that.... KARAOKE!!!!

Jana60

Your last cruise on the Monarch of the Seas in 2012 cannot be compared (except to her sister ship Majesty of the Seas) to any of the other RCI ships because the one you were just on is the smallest ship they have and the oldest, in fact, they are retiring her this next March and adding in the Grandeur of the Seas which they did multi million dollar refurbishment and added the newest features on her. The Monarch does have nightly shows and does have comedy shows but I believe there is one night there was no comedy show. The piano bar player is very good and you can still sit around the piano and I have heard many sing with him. I took the Monarch a year before you did so perhaps they changed the rule to this or maybe the singer just prefers to keep his people entertained and not be thrown off by others who can't sing well and (I say this bluntly no other way I could) ruin his song because they not sound well singing thusly making others not have a good time.

Pmang SO TRUE EXACTLY AGREE WITH YOU!!

As a piano bar entertainer myself, letting others come up and sing on the mic can be a complete train wreck.... It has nothing to do with being worried that the people in the crowd are better then the performer. 9 times out of 10, the person out of the crowd will not be good (there are times when someone is outstanding!). The only people who want that audience member to sing are themselves and members of their own own group. Jumping on stage with the piano player is unrehearsed. Most of the time, the person has no idea what key they sing in, lyrics, etc.. It also takes time away from the show to set up. Uninterested guests will leave if this is a regular thing. Piano bar is for everyone to sing along, not one patron in the spotlight. There is a venue for that.... KARAOKE!!!!

Did Jana mean that the piano bar guy wouldn't let someone come up to the microphone and sing with him. Or did she mean that the people in the crowd weren't allowed to sing with him while at their seats?? Any piano bar that I have been to wants to get the crowd singing along with them.

Maggie

Jana60

Your last cruise on the Monarch of the Seas in 2012 cannot be compared (except to her sister ship Majesty of the Seas) to any of the other RCI ships because the one you were just on is the smallest ship they have and the oldest, in fact, they are retiring her this next March and adding in the Grandeur of the Seas which they did multi million dollar refurbishment and added the newest features on her. The Monarch does have nightly shows and does have comedy shows but I believe there is one night there was no comedy show. The piano bar player is very good and you can still sit around the piano and I have heard many sing with him. I took the Monarch a year before you did so perhaps they changed the rule to this or maybe the singer just prefers to keep his people entertained and not be thrown off by others who can't sing well and (I say this bluntly no other way I could) ruin his song because they not sound well singing thusly making others not have a good time.

I cruised the Monarch a couple of times when see was in California and quite liked her.

She was a very popular ship in California and made some money.

First I don't really like to fly.

cruise.

Princess as a rule is just too expensive.

By the way I already have the Miracle booked for April 2013 and when NCL returns to California in late 2013 I will look at them.

I don't think anybody likes to fly- if you have phobias about it, try getting a script of valium from your doctor.

"Princess as a rule is just too expensive"- really? You need to look around. I have been on some Princess cruises that were not just the cheapest for their itenary,but cheapest in the whole country! When I cruised xmas (expensive time to cruise!) back in 2007 the only xmas cruise cheaper than my obstructed view room out of NO was an inside on RCL Grandeur and even that was only about $10 cheaper pp. Every single 7 day CCL cruise in the country was much more (we paid $600pp, the Pride out of LB same time to MR was $1100).

Afraid to leave west coast? The cheapest, the absolute cheapest cruise to the MR for 2009 New Years was the Dawn Princess, we paid $500pp. The CCL Pride up the road was, again double, around $1000pp!

My first AK cruise to AK was Golden out of Seattle. CCL Spirit was going for around $1,000 pp, we got a special deal from Princess of $834 for TWO people, port and taxes included:eek:

You can check out the prices for a cruise out of Seattle 8/12 right now and see how CCL Spirit is slight more $ than the Golden Princess.

The Grand will be sailing out of SF soon. Historically, ten day cruises are not as popular as 7 day cruises as people have a harder time getting time off for them. I bet you that there will be some serious, last minute mark downs on that ship. They had some serious mark downs on the Sea Princess that currently sails out of SF for June and the Grand is almost 3x bigger.

THE MAC & cheese is not the best thing I have ever ate, 4 OF UR AT THE TABLE ordered it and we all decided it was NASTY!! So I do not think it was good at all, rather have Kraft and that is saying a lot, Carnival's food has really gone done in teh lst 3 years and this coming will be my 13th cruise, they are just cheap enough and Charleston and Jacksonville are just to close not to cruise on them. Most of the other food is fine, but they need to take that Meatloaf off it is not good either, but does not keep my from Carnival. However would like to see them go back to the good steaks.

I don't think anybody likes to fly- if you have phobias about it, try getting a script of valium from your doctor.

"Princess as a rule is just too expensive"- really? You need to look around. I have been on some Princess cruises that were not just the cheapest for their itenary,but cheapest in the whole country! When I cruised xmas (expensive time to cruise!) back in 2007 the only xmas cruise cheaper than my obstructed view room out of NO was an inside on RCL Grandeur and even that was only about $10 cheaper pp. Every single 7 day CCL cruise in the country was much more (we paid $600pp, the Pride out of LB same time to MR was $1100).

Afraid to leave west coast? The cheapest, the absolute cheapest cruise to the MR for 2009 New Years was the Dawn Princess, we paid $500pp. The CCL Pride up the road was, again double, around $1000pp!

My first AK cruise to AK was Golden out of Seattle. CCL Spirit was going for around $1,000 pp, we got a special deal from Princess of $834 for TWO people, port and taxes included:eek:

You can check out the prices for a cruise out of Seattle 8/12 right now and see how CCL Spirit is slight more $ than the Golden Princess.

The Grand will be sailing out of SF soon. Historically, ten day cruises are not as popular as 7 day cruises as people have a harder time getting time off for them. I bet you that there will be some serious, last minute mark downs on that ship. They had some serious mark downs on the Sea Princess that currently sails out of SF for June and the Grand is almost 3x bigger.

I am not "afraid to leave west coast".

I like the MR and like Carnival. I even like the 3 night booze cruise to Ensenada.

The problem is when you live a few hours drive from the port why go through the whole hassle of flying. To go on RCI? I don't think so.

As for Princess on the weeks I can get away Carnival is always cheaper.

I'm sure if your cruising from Florida things might be different.

Every time that I am ready to book, I look at all the options and Carnival is always the best price for the week I need.

I wouldn't hesitate to try another line again, but they are always priced significantly higher, I know that this isn't the case 100% of the time, but pretty close. We travel with others so specific dates and departure ports are much less flexible.

Jana60

Not true by my experience on THREE RCCL cruises. Only one was on the Monarch.

You are right. Piano bar is for everyone to sing along but the bar on the Monarch they called "the piano bar" did not allow ANYONE to sing along. Furthermore, as I already stated (unlike Carnival) they did not have a venue for that. They had only 1 hour of Karaoke in evenings and you did not get to sing at all if you wanted to go to the show in the show lounge or if you arrived late as every slot in their time available was full. Also they had VERY poor selection of songs and would not allow people to use their own Karaoke discs. May not be important to some on their vacations but I love to sing and I have been told I do it VERY WELL. Carnival has a show that folks have to audition for to be in called the Legends show. Certainly if you have a large group with you on a cruise you might get voted into a part by family and friends even if you can't sing but I've never had more than 1 family member with me at a time on a cruise. I've been voted into the legends show by my fellow passengers EVERY time I have auditioned, into ANY part I auditioned for and some that I didn't audition for. For this reason I have been Aretha Franklin once, Gloria Estafan twice, AND Madonna once in the Legends show. I refused the part of Brittany Spears as it is too young a part for me. I can sing the song but you won't be seeing this 52 year old body in a school girl outfit with bare middrif! :eek:

And don't worry about hyjacking the thread. This thread belonged in the RCL area anyway as it is their menu being posted and everyone else has talked about everything they like better about RCCL OR dislike on RCCL. As usual there are those who prefer one cruise line above the other (like myself) who feel compelled to tell others why. Whats odd is that some folks are not satisfied with doing this in the general sections of CC but feel they must come to the Carnival Section and try to convince others not to sail Carnival! Do they own RCCL stock or what?!? It was to those folks that I was describing what I do not like about RCCL. Certainly not all was bad. Carnival had NO itenorary to compare with the one we went on with RCCL in Europe in 2009. RCCL stayed 10-12 hours in each port to allow plenty of time for tours. Indeed this may have been why they did not have separate musical vegas style show and comedy show on same evenings. But since none of the three RCCL ships I have been on had this, I did not think the Navigator was unique.

I agree with you Sargent_Schultz beef sliders are certainly confort food or something that belongs in applebees or ruby tuesday. Not belong on a dinner menu maybe good for lunch buffet but thats all.

About cheesecake I love to cook its my hobby I cook all ethnic cuisines except for two you may find this interesting and answer your question about NY Cheesecake.

New York-style cheesecake relies upon heavy cream or sour cream. The typical New York cheesecake is rich and has a dense, smooth and creamy consistency.[12] Sour cream makes the cheesecake more resilient to freezing and is the method by which most frozen cheesecakes are made. However, a lavish variant uses sour cream as a topping, applied when the cheesecake is cooked. It is mixed with vanilla extract and sugar and replaced in the oven, so that it is twice baked.

Pennsylvania Dutch-style cheesecake uses a slightly tangy type of cheese with larger curds and less water content, called pot or farmer's cheese.

Philadelphia-style cheesecake is lighter in texture, yet richer in flavor than New York–style cheesecake.

Farmer's cheese cheesecake is the contemporary implementation for the traditional use of baking to preserve fresh cheese, and is often baked in a cake form along with fresh fruit like a tart.

Country-style cheesecake uses buttermilk to produce a firm texture while increasing acidity to extend shelf life.

Lactose-free cheesecake may be made either with lactose-free cream cheese or as an imitation using vegan recipes combining non-dairy cream cheese alternatives with other lactose-free ingredients.

Gooey butter cake is a St. Louis variant that has a layer of regular cake with a cheesecake top.

Archived