No Comfort Food on RCCL's New Menu

skiman1

I prefer mac n cheese, meat loaf and ribs to veal, crab, and sea bass. Wasn't a fan of baked alaska (I thought it was nothing more than ice cream cake, honestly.)

I'm a creature of habit, and my habit are common foods you can get at home ( Although there's no mac n cheese at Dennys, unfortately.)

I like the menus on Carnival. Reading them online I feel confident I have something I can order every night, without ordering the same thing night after night.

I don't see a reason to knock either menu. Differnt lines, different price points.

Great reasoning.,,Hey you...SARAH

You said "when Carnival is basically universally recognized to have the supperior dining between the two cruise lines."

Really? As evidenced by what? What is hilarious is that you don't know the difference between fact and opinion. Facts are facts- if you were to price the basic foodstuffs on RCL, you'd find that they are more costly. Filet Mignon is a much better cut of beef than a flat iron steak.

Tell me, which is more desirable:

CCL mac N cheese or RCL crab legs

CCL flat iron steak or RCL filet mignon

Which do you think costs more? Which would be more popular?

I'll take the Mac N Cheese. Crab legs are to much work and can be messy.

The Flat Iron Steak would probably not be a tender as the Filet Mignon but would have a better beef flavor.

Great food does not have to be fancy, cost a lot or be eaten is a suit and tie.

This thread was a fun read, so I'll give my 2 cents.

I have never been impressed when cruise ships try to mimic "fine dining", at the volume that they have to prepare food, they have just never been able to do it very well in the MDR.

On my Carnival cruises, they seemed to hit a good balance, offering things a little nicer than ordinary and also offering things familiar to the everyday palate. I have had many very delicious dishes, they may not have been "fancy" but they were done well. The ribs were always wonderful, the melting cake and the bitter and blanc, fantastic as well. They had a filet and short rib dish that was so full of flavor. I love some of their soups as well. I've eaten their flat iron steak and although it would never be mistaken for filet, it was full of flavor and reasonably tender. Lets face it, if you are getting filet as an entree these days in a cruise ship MDR it isn't going to be top quality.

I applaud RCI for revamping their menu if that fits their demographic, and if the food ends up being fantastic, maybe that will push us over the edge and we'll book with RCI, but for now they demand too much of a premium, and for us there isn't anything that would justify that premium.

If I want fine dining, I'll lift up the mattress and make a reservation someplace downtown and make an evening of it. I don't expect it from a cruise that costs me less than $100 a day.

I'll take the Mac N Cheese. Crab legs are to much work and can be messy.

The Flat Iron Steak would probably not be a tender as the Filet Mignon but would have a better beef flavor.

Great food does not have to be fancy, cost a lot or be eaten is a suit and tie.

Amen.

The flat iron steak is actually very good.

No, I haven't tried it! I go on a cruise to try new and exciting foods, I don't go on a cruise to eat comfort food. Sorry, but if I want comfort food I'll head to Denny's or similar, however, I haven't eaten at Dennys in years.

I just find it funny that so many say all the cruise lines are cutting back on food and quality. Guess RCCL has a different plan and better in my book. I just did the Dream last month and found the food the worst on the high seas, however, I do try to eat somewhat healthy and Carnival doesn't do well with that.

Then go eat at Denny's. Carnival food is not Denny's. It's very similar to most mass media cruise lines.

Why do people continually put down Carnival? They are not perfect, but I get great value for what I pay for.

Because it makes them feel better about their choice. When someone moves on to what they think is "better" they need all of the justification and reassurance that they can get for making that choice.

It's really kinda sad actually.

I haven't read all six pages of responses, so forgive me if I'm repeating, but ...

What's wrong with comfort food? What's wrong with meatloaf or mac and cheese? You don't have to order it. You can have salmon or steak or jerked pork loin or tilapia and a dozen other options that I'd gladly eat for dinner tomorrow if I could.

My one Royal Caribbean cruise was a long time ago, but my recollection is the food has been better on my Carnival cruises.

Jim

Nothing says fine dining ;)like sliders and fruit cobbler. :D

I'm not bashing. Honest! It just struck me as funny that "fruit cobbler" is on the newly refined menu. ;)

Cracker Barrel has a killer blackberry cobbler. ;)

Nothing says fine dining like sliders and fruit cobbler. :D

I'm not bashing. Honest! It just struck me as funny that "fruit cobbler" is on the newly refined menu. ;)

LOL..loved it too..and love the thread..good food..is not always fancy food or tasty food some fancy food tastes awful. This is a fun read of likes and dislikes..i like all good food and fancy sometimes..would love a luxury dining cruise sometime but if i never make it to more than another couple mass market lines just for variety..tasty with some special things will be fine for me...

These 2 items say summer..or cruising in Carribean to me..happy things..Sarah

Why is rcl advertising on the CARNIVAL site? Who cares what the rcl menu has? Anyone that cared would go to the rcl forum. The typical troll thinks comfort food is the only choice when it is no more than an OPTION.

This thread is just one more reason why I wont sail with a bunch of snobbish trolls. Please take this garbage to the rcl board.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Why is rcl advertising on the CARNIVAL site? Who cares what the rcl menu has? Anyone that cared would go to the rcl forum. The typical troll thinks comfort food is the only choice when it is no more than an OPTION.

This thread is just one more reason why I wont sail with a bunch of snobbish trolls. Please take this garbage to the rcl board.

That's "Skiman1" mode of operation! He's trolls the Carnival site trying to scare people from choosing Carnaval to cruise. Hard to believe someone trolls a cruise site they hate!

That's "Skiman1" mode of operation! He's trolls the Carnival site trying to scare people from choosing Carnaval to cruise. Hard to believe someone trolls a cruise site they hate!

Wonder if some of these trolls are on the payroll. Kudos to the more mature and friendly Carnival cruisers for not doing the same on other boards.

Wonder if some of these trolls are on the payroll. Kudos to the more mature and friendly Carnival cruisers for not doing the same on other boards.

You can't do the same when you have an inferior product;)

You can't do the same when you have an inferior product;)

There are plenty of posters in a number of threads who have sailed both Carnival and rcl (or other line) and have said they liked Carnival better or the lines were more alike than different. So yes, there are Carnival cruisers who could do the same but choose not to troll.

There are plenty of posters in a number of threads who have sailed both Carnival and rcl (or other line) and have said they liked Carnival better or the lines were more alike than different. So yes, there are Carnival cruisers who could do the same but choose not to troll.

Yes, but they are still in the minority...

Yes, but they are still in the minority...

I agree, there are far fewer trolls that sail Carnival. Funny how Carnival still sails full and ia the industry leader. BTW, rcl just reported huge loses for the 2nd quarter. Analysts predict continued financial issues for the year.

I agree, there are far fewer trolls that sail Carnival. Funny how Carnival still sails full and ia the industry leader. BTW, rcl just reported huge loses for the 2nd quarter. Analysts predict continued financial issues for the year.

They gambled big on europe and also thanks to the Costa incident!

Like it when you come here and bash about Royal Caribbean and you have never put a foot on one of their ships.. just from what other people said!

Actually, a couple of years back if memory serves RCCL had been paying some people to post propoganda/talk them up on the internet. I think it was around the time leading up to the launching of the Oasis if I am remembering it correctly.

I haven't read all six pages of responses, so forgive me if I'm repeating, but ...

What's wrong with comfort food? What's wrong with meatloaf or mac and cheese? You don't have to order it. You can have salmon or steak or jerked pork loin or tilapia and a dozen other options that I'd gladly eat for dinner tomorrow if I could.

My one Royal Caribbean cruise was a long time ago, but my recollection is the food has been better on my Carnival cruises.

Jim

Having cruised both in the last few years I tend to agree with you.

But I'm not a food snob at all.

I have found good everywhere from Denny's (club sandwich) to five star dining.

Having cruised both in the last few years I tend to agree with you.

But I'm not a food snob at all.

I have found good everywhere from Denny's (club sandwich) to five star dining.

Omg. The club is the bomb dot com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you equate rcl with the rcl trolls.

Btw, even the head of rcl minimized the costa impact to their poor performance. If you think that is why, then why didn't others get impacted similarly.

Actually, a couple of years back if memory serves RCCL had been paying some people to post propoganda/talk them up on the internet. I think it was around the time leading up to the launching of the Oasis if I am remembering it correctly.

Actually never knew that but am not surprised at all.

Archived