No Comfort Food on RCCL's New Menu

skiman1

I am Carnival all the way, 12 cruises, but not impressed at all with the comfort food, I will go to Denny's if I want that.

I used to love their Sirlon but the flat steak is not good and bac, mac/ & chesse and the meatloaf is nasty and I am not a picky eater. I do love their broc. soup however, miss the scrimp . Carnival has sure cut back on it food the last 3 years but I am going on one in Oct. so sure I will have plenty to eat.

I think they need to upgrade the menu back to what it was.

:D

No, I haven't tried it! I go on a cruise to try new and exciting foods, I don't go on a cruise to eat comfort food. Sorry, but if I want comfort food I'll head to Denny's or similar, however, I haven't eaten at Dennys in years.

I just find it funny that so many say all the cruise lines are cutting back on food and quality. Guess RCCL has a different plan and better in my book. I just did the Dream last month and found the food the worst on the high seas, however, I do try to eat somewhat healthy and Carnival doesn't do well with that.

I'm sure Denny's thanks you. ;)

I can't wait to try RCCL new menu. I was kinda disappointed in CCL new menu all though I haven't tried it yet. I get confort food everyday so use to confort food, but i didn't see many of the items I was so looking forward to my next carnival cruise. I am not much of a prim rib (like my meat well done) do not like any sea food even fish. So I found a lot of says that I could skip where as before I never found a day i wanted to skip.

Where is my diet coconut. :(

What is different about this new menu of RCI what they adding/taking away doing?

If RCI adds meatloaf, fried chicken and burgers to its dinner menu I have to have another favorite cruise line then.

Sorry but I pass on that flat iron and have the Ny Strip or even Sirloin that RCI offers.

Desserts were always better on carnival.

The bacon mac & cheese with chicken breast is one of the best dishes Carnival serves. Have you tried it?

I tried to order just the mac n cheese but they couldn't serve it without the chicken breast. Needless to say, the mac & cheese was devoured by everyone at the table. Not normally a big fan of it but LOVE Carnival's recipe.

I'm fascinated that what is a positive and upbeat thread on the RCCL boards had to be copied and pasted by the OP so he/she could start a negative thread here.

Bless his/her pea-picking lil heart!

You are right. You will see this guy on other threads bashing Carnival in his feeble effort to scare people out of crusing Carnival.

There are alot of haters....but this guy is quickly becoming Carnival hater #1 !!!:eek:

You are right. You will see this guy on other threads bashing Carnival in his feeble effort to scare people out of crusing Carnival.

There are alot of haters....but this guy is quickly becoming Carnival hater #1 !!!:eek:

I thought that was Schultz? LOL

Y

Now if they could just not have their ticket prices be double that of NCL and CCL (and sometimes even Celebrity) I just might consider booking with them....

In the meantime, let's hope this puts some upward pressure on Carnival's own food quality, but I doubt it... the price gap is just too severe...

RCL charges more because they can- the demand for their ships is that good. CCL charges less because that is what the market says- if they charged more, they would sell with empty cabins.

The prices for rcl big ships has been consistently high, pretty remarkable in these times. I think they are upping quality in the hopes that it will increase demand thus allowing them to set even higher prices.

CCL loyal cruisers can talk up how wonderful the burgers and mac and cheese, but it still is just - burgers and mac and cheese.

Never understood why people must trash the other cruise lines, many without any recent cruising experience on those lines.

+1

I only sailed RCI once. It was my 2nd cruise and that was nearly 10 years ago. I don't remember whether the food was better, worse, or about the same as Carnival's.

I had a good cruise. I always check RCI's rates, but I simply cannot justify sailing them when they are always higher. Now, firefly will come here and tell me I'm wrong and that they have some great rates.

Maybe they do. But I sail predominantly in inside cabins and cannot take advantage of last-minute sales. I simply am not going to pay more for a smaller cabin just to try them and their menu again!

I'm actually looking forward to my first B2B because I'll finally have a chance to try some of the comfort foods thanks to the repeat menu.

RCI's menu looks good. Maybe the dishes will actually BE good! That still remains to be seen.

Wow, I have sailed both and prefer Carnival's food. Royal was good, just not as good as CCL. Did you read the Shrimp Cocktails are back!

We were just on a CCl we took 3 picky eater granddaughters and they all found food in the dining room they loved, as did the adults.

RCL charges more because they can- the demand for their ships is that good. CCL charges less because that is what the market says- if they charged more, they would sell with empty cabins.

The prices for rcl big ships has been consistently high, pretty remarkable in these times. I think they are upping quality in the hopes that it will increase demand thus allowing them to set even higher prices.

CCL loyal cruisers can talk up how wonderful the burgers and mac and cheese, but it still is just - burgers and mac and cheese.

What's hillarious about your post is you are complaining about burgers (when RCCL serves nasty sliders) and food quality (when Carnival is basically universally recognized to have the supperior dining between the two cruise lines). Keep up the disinformation campaign tho, lol ...

what ppl need to see is that there is other options. pizza, sandwiches, fee based restrants, guy burgers.

All though there was nights I could say I can skip the dinning room that night, I know there is other options for me to try that I haven't tried yet. LOL so bring on the new menu and although i get confort food everyday, carnival comfort food might be upgrade from mine. :D Who knows until I try it. I am picky on meatload and I will be trying the meatloaf and gravy as it look pretty good in the pic.

I'm fascinated that what is a positive and upbeat thread on the RCCL boards had to be copied and pasted by the OP so he/she could start a negative thread here.

Bless his/her pea-picking lil heart!

That's what I was thinking too! Lol!

I am Carnival all the way, 12 cruises, but not impressed at all with the comfort food, I will go to Denny's if I want that.

I used to love their Sirlon but the flat steak is not good and bac, mac/ & chesse and the meatloaf is nasty and I am not a picky eater. I do love their broc. soup however, miss the scrimp . Carnival has sure cut back on it food the last 3 years but I am going on one in Oct. so sure I will have plenty to eat.

I think they need to upgrade the menu back to what it was.

:D

It was announced today that the shrimp is back on there everyday menu...

Starting within the next couple of weeks……………guess what’s back on a Carnival ship near you?

Every day menu

fresh fruit cocktail

chilled shrimp cocktail

served with American cocktail sauce

fried vegetable spring rolls

... tomato, oregano and olive oil sauce

Caesar salad

hearts of romaine lettuce tossed with our Caesar

dressing freshly grated parmesan cheese, anchovies and herb croutons

broiled fillet of Atlantic salmon

served with steamed vegetables of the day

grilled flat iron steak from USDA choice beef

grilled chicken breast

Indian vegetarian

two fresh vegetables, lentils and basmati rice

southern fried chicken

served with mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed vegetables of the day

all main dishes are served with appropriate sides

these listed below are optional

baked Idaho potatoes with sour cream and chives

steamed white rice

French fries

assorted steamed vegetable

we replaced the chips and salsa with vegetarian spring rolls.

Enjoy !

Thought I would post this on the Carnival page.

At least (if true) RCCL is listening to their passengers and not cutting back and giving us meatloaf, mac & cheese and other boring food. RCCL normally costs more, but you pay for what you get!:

Loyal2RCCL

Cool Cruiser

Coming Soon..NEW MDR MENUS AND ENHANCED DINING

Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you my source is directly involved in this project and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks.

I don't know if anyone remembers getting a survey a while back asking about the onboard dining experience, but it seems RCCL is listening to that feedback along with the regular weekly comment cards.

With that said, there will not only be NEW menus in the MDR on all ships, but RCCL is improving the overall quality of the items it serves. They have decided to increase their food budget to offer a better dining experience.

Highlights:

The Top Sirloin on the "Always Available" Menu will be upgraded to filet mignon. Also on the "Always Available" Menu will be shrimp cocktail, escargot (provided they can be sourced due to the shortage), herb crusted cod, salmon, a bowl of mixed berries, and Key Lime Pie. Other items were mentioned, but I don't remember what they were.

New entrees will include:

- Rack of Lamb

- Veal Chops

- Veal Scalloppini Oscar

- Crab Legs

- Baked Lasagna (baked in it's own individual dish)

- Beef Sliders

- Each night there will be an entree salad with a featured protien

- Surf and Turf featuring a 6oz filet mignon and a 6 oz lobster tail (larger tail than the 4oz one that's currently being served)

- Sea Bass

- Baked/Stuffed Shrimp

The $14.95 Chops Steak will be removed since you will be able to get a filet mignon every night from the always available menu. In it's place will be the option to purchase a 1 1/4 lb steamed, Maine Lobster for $24.99

New Desserts will include:

- Mile High Lemon Merengue Pie

- REAL NY style cheesecake

- Baked Alaska is making a return.. and will be served in individual portions--

- Warm fruit pies and cobblers served in individual dishes. Straight from the oven to your table.

- Some chocolate, kahlua pie?

To enhance the new menu, all the tablewear and dishes will also be redesigned.

I wasn't able to get the full roll out schedule but here's what I do know... the new menus will be available on the following ships/dates:

Freedom- 7/29/2012

Oasis- 8/25/2012

Allure- 9/9/2012

Jewel- 9/23/2012

Rhapsody- 5/24/2013

RCCL is also partnering with Food and Wine Magazine and will be showing short culinary "snippets" on the Poolside TV Screens... one of the things they will show is the featured items for each nights dinner. Other culinary programs are in the works, but nothing finalized yet.

RCCL has used feedback from the guest comment cards, surveys and information received from the MDR staff to add items that were most rquested by guests. Additionally, they looked at the quality and menu offerings from the competition and decided it was time for them to up their game.

I for one, can't thank them enough..and I look forward to trying out the new offerings on my Oasis cruise in Oct.

That looks wonderful....they certainly need to upgrade their food on RCI....not only in choices but certainly in quality. We found the food on RCI to be very mediocre and really did not enjoy our dining in RCI like we do on CCL. The food was cafeteria level at best...and I hope they upgrade the Lido buffet too....that was POOR! Let us know your opinion when you return from Oasis!

Archived